PDA

View Full Version : Help! After SRI Install, Stereo Dead!?!

Ocelaris
05-28-2003, 05:45 AM
ARGHHH... Just finished installing my Ebay Short Ram Intake, and now my Headunit is dead. Or at least it's not powering up at all... I was following the CAI directions on k-series website, and after undoing my battery terminals (aftermarket), I realized I didn't need to do that for my SRI. So plugged batteries back in, finished up my SRI install, and goto put the faceplate back on, and headunit is a no go. Checked all fuses, none blown, I'm definetly getting power to my amps, power wires look fine, no inline fuses blown... HELP!?! Please tell me there's some stupid trick that I didn't know about... It's an alpine 9813 headunit, less than 3 months old, still under warranty, so probably it's going back to Crutchfield... Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'm just going to start eliminating variables, I mean all I can do is make sure the headunit is getting power, and then not sure what else... Help! Thanks, Bill

ssvr6
05-28-2003, 06:13 AM
Hmm...

Call Crutchfield and ask them about the "safety" features of your headunit. Maybe you have to type in a code.

When I removed the battery for my CAI install, I got power back, I just had to enter the Honda Code on the stock HU. I haven't tried it with my new unit yet.

Steve

Ocelaris
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
:-/ I hope that there's a security code, but the headunit won't even show power... which is what worries me, I have had to reprogram the stock headunit when I cut power from it, like you said, but I didn't have to do anything but press "reset" when I first installed it... Thanks for the help, I'll let you know when I get home and check it out.

Ever have a problem you know is going to take a long time, and just have delusions that your problem might just go away magically? :-) Sometimes it's good to encourage your delusions, helps you get through the hard work after the delusions go away... Bill

Hatch, Si Hatch
05-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Most Alpine units have a tiny reset button, press that to see if anything happens...that and not to insult your intellect, but maybe the power buttom, seems too easy, but killing the power killed the units memory feature which if like mine it doesn't power back on by it self, you actually have to press the power button.

Ocelaris
05-28-2003, 12:15 PM
no offense taken, I'm sure this is probably one of those stupid things that I have probably just over looked. Unfortunately I have pressed the small reset button on the front of the headunit, held it down for >5 seconds... pressed the power button, held the power buton... tried the remote too...

I've found 99% of my problems like this are stupid things exactly like you suggest, like hard drive jumpers set wrong etc... Those are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. My opinion is, if after reading my post your brain thinks "try this" then "try this" must have been helpful to you in the past, and even if it doesn't help exactly this time, in the future certainly I will remember that somebody said to check the power button. Anyways, thanks for the help, I'ts almost time to go check it out myself... Bill

Ocelaris
05-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Head unit confirmed Dead... Note to self... Unplug headunit before disconnecting battery terminals...

Well at least now I'll have time to change the Bulbs in the center console to blue LEDs, and paint the silver dash (which is scratched).

ssvr6
05-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Are you serious? That's f-ing insane! So if I want to disconnect my battery, I have to take my dash apart and unplug my HU?

Lame.

Steve

mrfixit687
05-28-2003, 11:20 PM
why would the aftermarket hu die from batt being unplugged but not the stock hu?

ssvr6
05-29-2003, 03:08 AM
Could have something to do with the way the new harness was wired up... I'm not sure.

Steve

Ocelaris
05-29-2003, 05:31 AM
I wouldn't say you have to unplug your headunit before you disconnect your battery, but just be careful To tell you the truth, I'm really not sure what happened, but the headunit was on the fritz anyways, the knob was screwy, and just unplugging the whole thing might have killed it off. I would not say this is a normal occurance. In fact my buddy who used to do car audio for a living blamed the radio...

I was just saying in the future if I disconnect the battery I have to be careful to make sure I disconnect the positive terminal first... It shouldn't make a difference, but it's just a precaution I'm going to make from now on. Bill

mrfixit687
05-29-2003, 10:44 AM
um ur supose to disconnect the negative first

Ocelaris
05-29-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm glad you corrected me because I apparently did not know that :-/ Hope I didn't blow my amps :-(