PDA

View Full Version : what kind of spring compressor?

siver-SI
05-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I am looking to lower my car myself since I have all the tools but a spring compresser. I did not know if I needed one, but I do want to make sure I do the job right and not try and rig anything. If I do need one of these to do the job right and maybe make it safer to do since I am not to sure how much pressure in in the spring what one should I get?

Compressor, Coil Spring

Or

Compressor, MacPherson Spring

Both of these that I am looking at are from Snap-On tools since I work from them.

thanks

Suk02Si
05-28-2003, 11:03 PM
don't worry, your not going to need a spring compressor;)

Civicvtec1ps
05-29-2003, 04:35 AM
you will need spring compressors to take out stock front springs. i didnt need it for rear.

B18CXr
05-29-2003, 09:40 AM
you do not need a compressor

:)

Suk02Si
05-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by B18CXr
you do not need a compressor

:)

woo!:D :p

Seriously though, you aren't going to need it. I've done at least 6 or 7 EP spring installs; it isn't necessary.:)

rook
05-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Listen to these guy's. You wont need one. I installed springs last weekend. I rented a spring compressor from autozone for free, used it on the first spring and found it was a waste of time. Installed the new spring without it and completed the next 3 corners with out it. If you have a friend help you, stand the stut on the floor and have them push down on the top spring seat while you remove the top spring nut. Quick and easy.

rook

02SilverSiHB
05-29-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by rook
Listen to these guy's. You wont need one. I installed springs last weekend. I rented a spring compressor from autozone for free, used it on the first spring and found it was a waste of time. Installed the new spring without it and completed the next 3 corners with out it. If you have a friend help you, stand the stut on the floor and have them push down on the top spring seat while you remove the top spring nut. Quick and easy.

rook
or just leave the suspension together while the car is on all fours. Take the allen and wrench and break them loose, then when you go to take them out it's easy to uninstall.

siver-SI
05-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Since I do not need one that is all cool. Just wondering were can I find all the torque specs for this install? Thanks for bringing up the allen wrench. I have a few but I will have to make sure I have the right size ones. Or I just may get the allen socket, since it will make it easy for me to torque down everything. I just got a electronic torque wrench from work and I can not wait to try it out. :)

Thanks for the info everyone.