PDA

View Full Version : Chip Explanation???

mattyb
05-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I am so confused. I consider myself pretty knowledgable about the world of Hondas, and for the life of me I am so confused about what the hell it means to "chip" a car? Especially as it pertains to our EP's? So many people speak of it as the wholy grail of tuning and power, and I just do not get it. Help.....? Thanks....

ssvr6
05-29-2003, 08:51 AM
Basically, your ECU (the brain behind the car) get's re programmed to create more power via different fuel mappings and such. They also change the revlimiter and redline of the car.

As for it being the holy grail....I don't think so. It's good, but not that good.

Steve

mattyb
05-29-2003, 08:56 AM
I am going to do the standard I/H/E mods to my EP all at one time. I would like to "chip" the car at the same time, and then I will take a look at the power and go from there. Who makes these mods to the ECU, can I do this myself. Is it as easy as I have heard people make it out to be? Thanks.

mhx
05-29-2003, 10:16 AM
visit http://hondata.com/k20a3civicsirelease.html

this will help you

mattyb
05-29-2003, 10:36 AM
That explains a few things. More air requires more fuel to make power. Anyone else making products similar to this? Could I do this myself. or do I need a shop to do it for me?

ssvr6
05-29-2003, 10:56 AM
You have to remove your ECU and imobilizer and mail them both to Hondata. They re program your ECU and them mail it all back.

Steve

02TafWhtSi
05-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6
You have to remove your ECU and imobilizer and mail them both to Hondata. They re program your ECU and them mail it all back.

Steve

any idea on the average wait time?

ssvr6
05-29-2003, 07:59 PM
Nope, check out their site.

www.hondata.com

Steve