PDA

View Full Version : Shift Light

sniperSI
05-29-2003, 03:27 PM
I want a shift light, I don't want a huge f'n tach either. Is there a wire you can tap into and just hook up a plain LED to activate? Whats up with that 'blue' wire i always hear people talk about in regards to tach hook up on an EP.

Civicvtec1ps
05-30-2003, 08:16 AM
im thinking about that too as well. i dont want huge tach but i kinda want shiftlight, and about blue wire. when you take out guage cluster. there should be blue wire which you can tap in there for shiftlight. i think you can hook it up to ecu wire as well. ( you can get to ecu by taking out glovebox)

02SilverSiHB
05-31-2003, 02:57 PM
razo makes a shift light that I'm going to get here one day :D It goes anywhere you want. My friend put his right on top of the steering column. It's small and not even noticeable. You can even take it out for when you don't want it in the car. It's awsome. I believe www.optauto.com sells them.

i-WERKS
06-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Pivot makes a tiny one too that plugs into the cig lighter.
The actual shift light is a single LED in a housing that is about the size of a penny and about 1/4 inch thick. It has a unit to adjust the rpm settings and brightness.
I installed this with the light facing the speedo so the whole speedo flashes. Very stealthy too. Most people can't even see it when they sit in the drivers seat.
Check out the vid I posted a while back at This Link (http://hstrial-jdd.homestead.com/files/40-140kmh.AVI)

i-WERKS
06-02-2003, 09:09 AM
the control module was mounted in the pocket. There are newer versions of this light and looks much better than what I have but I'm not complaining. It costs about $200 CAD for this unit.

i-WERKS
06-02-2003, 09:21 AM
I know picture are much better than words so here's a couple more
Can you see where the light is?

i-WERKS
06-02-2003, 09:25 AM
here's a close up of the pic above. Keep in mind that you're suppose to mount it the other way around but I like the effect of the dash lighting up instead of pointing the light towards me and have my face light up.

BlasTech
06-02-2003, 09:33 AM
I've used a good digital meter on the blue wire testing voltage/amperage/ohmage/continuity while sitting in my driveway revving the engine, but alas no results.

Either I need to ground it differently (like to the head instead of the battery) or set it up so the vehicle is rolling next, but I havent had any luck figuring out the secret to hacking it, eve with the Helms.

When I figure it out, I'll let everyone know.

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
here's a close up of the pic above. Keep in mind that you're suppose to mount it the other way around but I like the effect of the dash lighting up instead of pointing the light towards me and have my face light up.
that's pretty cool i-werks :D where did you buy yours? Razo is almost the same, I assume that the unit is sitting in that part of the dash (with the yellow letters). Razo is about the same size.

I like what you did with yours

BlasTech
06-02-2003, 10:44 AM
I wonder if grounding wires will hurt the performance of the cigarrette lighter-based shift lights, assuming they work by reading fluctuations that grounding wires would eliminate. We've already heard about grounding wires killing the rev reading on a g-tech

SHAKEnBAKE
06-04-2003, 07:04 PM
How do you install them(Razo and Pivot ones)? Do you just plug them to cigarette lighter, or you need to do extra wiring (open the center console, tap into wires, etc)?

I want one, but I really suck at installing electronics.:D

i-WERKS
06-05-2003, 05:59 AM
I'm not sure about the Razo one but the Pivot plugs into the cigarette lighter.

SHAKEnBAKE
06-05-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure about the Razo one but the Pivot plugs into the cigarette lighter.

So the pivot plugs into the cig lighter, and that's it right?

Civicvtec1ps
06-05-2003, 06:58 PM
does plug in shiftlight actually accurate?

i-WERKS
06-06-2003, 06:37 AM
Yes the Pivot one plugs into the cig lighter.
It's pretty accurate. I mean I when I set it to go off at a certain RPM, it'll go off each and everytime.
I'm sure there are other units out there that maybe more accurate but this one is good enough for my needs.

Civicvtec1ps
06-06-2003, 07:50 AM
Yes the Pivot one plugs into the cig lighter.
It's pretty accurate. I mean I when I set it to go off at a certain RPM, it'll go off each and everytime.
I'm sure there are other units out there that maybe more accurate but this one is good enough for my needs.
thats cool. why did you buy pivot ones instead of autometer pro lite shiftlight?

i-WERKS
06-06-2003, 07:53 AM
^^ I liked the fact that it's small and can easily be hidden. Then there's also the easy install. I don't want no 5 inch tach with a shift light sitting on my dash. I just want something that wouldn't take up a lot of space and something that isn't too visible.

ssvr6
06-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Autometer makes a small pen shift light that you can buy separately.

Steve

Civicvtec1ps
06-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Autometer makes a small pen shift light that you can buy separately.

Steve
yea i was looking at that.
its really small. pen size. i dont konw what i want. i will decide later. eiter pivot plug in ones or autometer pro lite shiftlight. i saw pivot ones around $60-100 on ebay.

sniperSI
06-06-2003, 08:32 AM
sweet guys thanks for the response, i wonder how the cig lighter shift light works. i really wonder.

BlasTech
06-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by sniperSI
sweet guys thanks for the response, i wonder how the cig lighter shift light works. i really wonder.

I dont know exactly which, but either the voltage, amperage, or something else in the 12v plug fluctuates very slightly when you rev the engine.

When first you set it up, you rev it to the point you want the light to come on, and essentially tell the shift light to always come on when you get that amount of fluctuation...probably some kind of "set" button.

Theoretically, turning on the lights, or the stereo will effect this setting to some degree, but probably still in the same neighborhood as your desired shift point.

Grounding cables could take that slight fluctuation out of the picture and render the shift light useless.

Civicvtec1ps
06-06-2003, 03:39 PM
plug in ones like g tech...
i think im going to get one and hardwire to cig plug. so i dont see ugly plug in connecter. and i like look of pivot shiftlight better than autometer ones. i will keep you guys updated.
i need money now:confused:

rgGolf4
06-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Found this while surfing. It may not be what you are looking for, but its pretty small and looks clean and unobtrusive.

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

and another:

http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/shiftlight/prod_desc.asp

another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33695&item=2418035442

chakra71
06-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Here's another idea... would anyone want the fuel light to come on as a shift light. Hondata could perhaps program this to happen and have some way of making it adjustable. And if you're really into electronics, replace the amber light with a brighter led, red or blue perhaps... just something.

no wires, nothing to bust a window and rob.... just subtle light.