PDA

View Full Version : ep vs. srt-4 what do you think?

2k2ep
05-30-2003, 01:19 PM
just a thought about the srt-4 it is a 2.4L turbo motor with a big intercooler and running 12psi through a mufflerless exhaust right?
well our 2.0 motor with a turbo at only 7psi (and room for more) an average sized intercooler puts down 240hp and 210tq for only $1500 more than an srt-4 and we dont have to drive a neon. sounds good to me, what do yall think? im just not so depressed any more about being slow lol

Gasp23
05-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Sounds right.

I just think is good that the domestics are getting in the game, this way Honda and the rest of the imports see they need to keep up if they want to keep this market.

BlairSpeed
05-30-2003, 01:55 PM
The only issue I can think of would be warranties. If you turbo your EP, you have no warranty. The Dodge has like a 7 year warranty I think..but its still a Dodge, but you will have the safety of a being insured.

StrangeShadow
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
give the dodge a year out so we can see how they do, I haven't even seen "1" on the road yet.

cj miller
05-30-2003, 02:28 PM
ive seen 2 of them on the road and umm yeah its neon for sure. so dont be stressed. they may be faster but picking up a girl in a neon? umm yeah

van_yammer
05-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Well, I've read that the SRT4 makes closer to 240 at the wheels, and is underreported by Dodge.

Either way, I don't think that you can compare a factory FI engine with a factory NA engine. You would have problems with warranty, the internals aren't built for that much boost, the tires suck, needs a better clutch, etc. And soon they'll offer the stage 1,2,3 upgrades for the SRT-4, putting it even more out of reach.

Heck, you can make any car fast, but you have to make some compromises for a daily driver.

van_yammer
05-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cj miller
ive seen 2 of them on the road and umm yeah its neon for sure. so dont be stressed. they may be faster but picking up a girl in a neon? umm yeah

I don't think the vast majority of girls care if they are being picked up in a Civic or a Neon.

BTW, I own an EP.

2k2ep
05-30-2003, 02:37 PM
honda will get in the game look at the turbo ep they might have in the next year or so. and the 7 yr warranty from dodge is EXTRA its the same as ours otherwise and if they wont warranty a turbo ep and they cant prove it was the cause of the problem you can sue them. 240 at the wheels yea torque not hp. now im not bashing the srt-4 but im just saying the more i find out about them the more pleased i am with my car.

IceD out N CALI
05-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 2k2ep
just a thought about the srt-4 it is a 2.4L turbo motor with a big intercooler and running 12psi through a mufflerless exhaust right?
well our 2.0 motor with a turbo at only 7psi (and room for more) an average sized intercooler puts down 240hp and 210tq for only $1500 more than an srt-4 and we dont have to drive a neon. sounds good to me, what do yall think? im just not so depressed any more about being slow lol

sounds as if u want to get a turbo. if that is the case then go for it:)

van_yammer
05-30-2003, 02:53 PM
I haven't heard anything about a factory turbo ep, but that is definitely the way Honda is going to have to go if they want to compete on power.

It's irrelevent if the 7 yr warranty from Dodge is extra, I'm not sure what that means. A warranty is a warranty, right?

Personally, I wouldn't want to have to take Honda to court with a turbo kit and related accessories built on to my accessories. It's not going to be hard for them to demonstrate that putting dramatic stresses on an engine can cause failures.

What is it about the SRT4 that is making you feel better?

2k2ep
05-30-2003, 03:06 PM
3yr 36,000mile warranty comes with honda and dodge the EXTRA 7yr warranty is more money. all im saying on warranty is if you have a turbo kit on an ep most people think honda will turn you down on any warranty item, this is against the law. the part that makes me feel better about my ep is that i dont drive a neon. lol

tony speed
05-30-2003, 03:07 PM
the ep's not really in the same market. srt-4 is a 4wd turbo similar to the wrx. the ep is fwd somewhat fast car. the ep domain is more the svt and celica gt than anything else.

Civicvtec1ps
05-30-2003, 03:10 PM
i hate to say but srt-4 is fast car. why cant honda come up with turbo ep heh.

02TafWhtSi
05-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by van_yammer
I haven't heard anything about a factory turbo ep, but that is definitely the way Honda is going to have to go if they want to compete on power.

An OEM turbo Honda! Ha! That'll be the day...

2k2ep
05-30-2003, 03:13 PM
the neon is NOT four wheel drive. but if it were it be cool

IceD out N CALI
05-30-2003, 03:52 PM
well next year the svt focus may have a comparable turbo/numbers as the neon so hang tight. the competition is getting more intense:)

TrippZ
05-30-2003, 04:53 PM
i dont know why so many people are worried about this. how many svt's do you run into that want to race? srt-4's? turbo charged cars in general that want to race?

and why are so many of you guys full of misconceptions about cars. its just something thats been bugging me lately.

95 GSR
05-30-2003, 06:03 PM

thats nice.

wow how many of u have a turbo EP?:rolleyes:

tony speed
05-30-2003, 06:59 PM
the neon is NOT four wheel drive. but if it were it be cool

you're right. i have no idea where that got into my head. :o
well that makes me feel better about the wrx now.

Jpax
05-30-2003, 07:46 PM
I like turbos, ...... :D My EK will Own SRT-4

There is no comparesion :rolleyes:

Brettnyt
05-31-2003, 01:05 AM
Hey Paxie, you runnin boost now on your EK? So the motor from canada installed? I still havent seen ur EK, we hafta meet up...

2k2ep
05-31-2003, 02:43 PM
im not trying to bring down the srt-4 but i hear so many ep owners on this site talk about how i wish my car was this or that like they are bummed to drive an ep. but i get stoked when i hear or read about something like this. its not like we wont have real comp when the STI and EVO's start coming.

StrangeShadow
05-31-2003, 08:34 PM
I don't think honda will ever make a turbo anything especially in the usdm market. However, since mazda is putting stoc turbos in cars and all other comps are going more performance oriented, IF honda wants to compete in the USDM market they'll have to bring more JDM goodies over here...however I don't think they will.

i dont know why so many people are worried about this. how many svt's do you run into that want to race? srt-4's? turbo charged cars in general that want to race?
err... I don't know about Texas...but here in cali..everything is turboed..

chunky
05-31-2003, 08:49 PM
I went to check out the srt-4 today. it's a nice looking car, and is definitely a fast car.

but i'm an all motor head. =P that kinda makes it less appealing already. But it is the baddest sport compact on the planet right now in the 20k range. The dealer was asking 25k for it, which is 5k over sticker, but for 25k, there still isn't anything that comes close other than the WRX, which is slower.

it'd be nice to build the ep3 up to run low 14's high 13's, but as easy as it will be to get into the 12's with the srt-4, the ep3 is gonna have to do a lot better than low 14's/high 13's if it wants to play.

hamlet9634
05-31-2003, 09:55 PM
i think a factory turbo goes against honda's product image..

the more likely scenario is a 200hp type R.. it'll still be slower in a straight line than the neon, but it'll handle better and probably be as fast on a track..

NBP_03Si
05-31-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by cj miller
ive seen 2 of them on the road and umm yeah its neon for sure. so dont be stressed. they may be faster but picking up a girl in a neon? umm yeah good point there, but i guess doge wanted to "dominated" in the compact competition but they did not figured that was a neon. :D

2k2_nbp_egg
05-31-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by NBP_03Si
good point there, but i guess doge wanted to "dominated" in the compact competition but they did not figured that was a neon. :D

I just see it more as a difference in the two different company (honda vs dodge) tuning philosophies...one is very minimalist and one is just...hmm....shove as much brute horsepower and torque into a car as possible. The new SRT line is pretty impressive, and dodge has gotten on the ball w/ realizing what makes a fast and fun car to drive in a cheap easy way. Turbos and displacement, something honda has never touched for performance, can go a very long way if done properly. The potential unfortunately outweighs a smaller N/A engine, like ours. Honda really needs to beef their HP ratings up if they still want respect from the sport compact community. I mean, I really appreciate how realiable my car is, and how nice the interior is, but in the end, it lacks top end and handling from the factory. It hurts the worst whenever you experience the rest of the competition (gti 1.8t spec v gts etc) IMO.

The alternatives are finally showing up, like engine swapping, and FI...and they are looking pretty good. If done right, an SRT will need something that will cancel it's warranty as well to keep up, so the warranty argument gets thrown out IMO(aside from those fucking mopar upgrades covered under warranty...fuk u hondata!!!). Besides, we haven't really seen the abilities of a boosted EP...or the full potential of swaps available...so it'll just have to wait. Our cars were part of the beginning of the K series, which has already proven to be a step in the right direction.

StrangeShadow
05-31-2003, 11:42 PM
Finally saw a srt-4 today, it looked like an extremly agressive neon, actually didn't look half bad, but since someone else was driving it I didn't get to check out the inside or performance stuff, just looks.

Sanchothepanda
06-01-2003, 02:51 PM
for 20k, Neon is the fastest shit around. That said, shifting in one sucks, the interior is supposedly iffy (I haven't looked in one myself), it doesn't have an LSD, and finally, you're still driving around in a neon. If you want to make the argument about turbo EP's beating a neon, you have to take into account the fact that the guy in the neon could bump up his HP for the same $ as you.

Tekdemon
06-01-2003, 07:25 PM
personally I like the concept of the SRT...I mean, that kind of power and speed for under $20K MSRP? Sweet =)

Yes, corners were cut, but under the hood it's a serious beast...plus warrantied MOPAR upgrades are just awesome...

And the powertrain is warrantied for 7 years anyway...where you might experience the most problems from running boost long term anyway. So that's all covered by Dodge! =)

tony speed
06-01-2003, 09:03 PM
i think it boils down to this:
do you want an ugly american car with speed
or a good looking japanese car with fair speed and decent handling

i personally think looks and reliability make a big deal unless you're racing professionally. i don't like american cars either. So if someone gave me a neon, i'd sell it and put a down payment on an STI.

02SilverSiHB
06-01-2003, 09:31 PM
These srt owners are hitting 13's all ready
http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php

I think they look pretty good. As for people talking about how a girl wouldn't want to be picked up in one....ummm, wake up, we own civics....that a CIVIC!!!! not a lexus IS300 :rolleyes: And look at our cars when they are stock compared to a neon srt stock...hello! :rolleyes:
http://srt4.thebatanesislands.com/mysrt4/images/random_images_i/mysrt4_random_010.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p1fc3290ce1bc6c3a1938d43630a59d73/fc5b58ef.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pf6a2a0d4fecc6bacbb6f338076fb6b07/fc5b58d7.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p8084aaf04e466b442b3dd2003a00f42c/fc5b58d1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1f5mp/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/srt4-1.jpg
http://import.h8rs.com/SamelCamel/samsrt3.jpg
http://srt4.thebatanesislands.com/mysrt4/images/engine_bay/engine04.jpg
http://euphrates.wpunj.edu/students/cruzc/SRT4/stage1.jpg

02SilverSiHB
06-01-2003, 09:34 PM
and go here to see vids of their kills
http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php

IceD out N CALI
06-01-2003, 09:39 PM
who knows maybe for the 2004 model they'll add limited slip?:o

Tekdemon
06-02-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
who knows maybe for the 2004 model they'll add limited slip?:o

I get the feeling MOPAR is already working on a LSD unit for the car...

It seems like the perfect upgrade...

I wanna see:
MOPAR Upgraded Intercooler(less leak, bigger, better efficiency)
MOPAR boost controller upgrade(or maybe just a more aggressive boost program)
MOPAR LSD

Not much else really....I think the car is already pretty damn good at handling as is...I mean, for a FWD car it's already up there but I'm sure there will also be upgrades such as:

Full MOPAR race coilover(well TRD has em, so MOPAR had better on a car like the SRT)

Personally I'm actually considering saving up $24K or so then dropping it on the SRT in a couple of years...it seems like a pretty good upgrade from the Si...I get 4 doors(for those whiner friends), and gobs of horsepower...mmmmmmm

Why not just drop 24K on the EP3? Cuz my parents are whiners who don't want me modding a car that has their names on the title...due to reliability reasons...even though I did pay for part of the car...dammit!

Maybe I'll just buy the EP from my parents in full for another $10K or something...then turbo it for another $5K? Hmm...decisions

King Kang
06-02-2003, 07:10 AM
I don't think honda will ever release a factory turbo car....it just isn't their style (although they do make some pretty bad-ass turbo jetskis.)

Honda is working on something better than turbocharging. I'm confident that performance electric hybrids will out perform turbo cars. Think about the insane amounts of torque a strong electric motor will create before it passes the baton to to tuned out Vtec that revs up to 10k. This will prove to be the future of performance.

...much newer, more effecient, and more reliable...

I can't wait. I think honda cancelled plans of putting a V8 in the new NSX in favor of a high performance hybrid.

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by King Kang
I don't think honda will ever release a factory turbo car....it just isn't their style (although they do make some pretty bad-ass turbo jetskis.)

Honda is working on something better than turbocharging. I'm confident that performance electric hybrids will out perform turbo cars. Think about the insane amounts of torque a strong electric motor will create before it passes the baton to to tuned out Vtec that revs up to 10k. This will prove to be the future of performance.

...much newer, more effecient, and more reliable...

I can't wait. I think honda cancelled plans of putting a V8 in the new NSX in favor of a high performance hybrid.
yeah, I know that one of their electric hybrids had only like 98 hp, but had over 200 in torque, nuts.

King Kang
06-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, I know that one of their electric hybrids had only like 98 hp, but had over 200 in torque, nuts.

High torque + high effeciency = nature of electic motors

High horsepower + high effeciency = nature of Honda Vtec engines

Guess what you get when you put them together?

RiceCzechs
06-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
i think it boils down to this:
do you want an ugly american car with speed
or a good looking japanese car with fair speed and decent handling

i personally think looks and reliability make a big deal unless you're racing professionally. i don't like american cars either. So if someone gave me a neon, i'd sell it and put a down payment on an STI.

Is national origin really that big of a deal to you guys? (I'm asking here, not yelling). Myself, I prefer the best value for my $$$ in a vehicle that accomplishes what I want it to - no more, no less. I went with my EP because it represented the best balance of product I could think of (performance/reliability/space) at a deeply discounted price. Would I have bought one at anywhere near list? Not on your life. I would've driven the EP, enjoyed the driving position (seats, steering wheel, shifter, and pedal relationship), and the idea of something different, and then I would've walked out.

If the SRT-4 would've been available at the time, and I could've swung the payment, I probably would be driving around in one and looking for a place to chop that ridiculous wing off. :)

Listen, the EP is a great 15k hot hatch. It even makes a credible attempt at a $17.5k one. But ratchet that number up to $20k (its list), and its simply out of its league. I'm happy with my EP, but I'm not dillusional about it or its potential (without lots of $$ and shedloads of performance parts) to become an SRT-4, WRX, or EVO beater. I like the fact that I drive something a bit out of the norm, and that it has room for my 9 year old son in the back.

I've driven an SRT-4 at speed, and I can tell you, they make a go of high performance in a much more convincing fashion than one would expect for a tarted-up Neon. The handling inspires confidence (and generates bigger numbers) more than my EP ever did. The acceleration is almost comically unbelievable, and those PVO engineers have done a flat-out astounding job of containing that much power in what was previously a marginal FWD economy car chassis. Everything flows absurdly well together. I've even watched a mildly warmed-over SRT-4 kick the tail out of much-modified high-dollar machinery at various tracks all over this great land (including a bunch of 911s and a questionably-driven Viper).

Yes, much of the interior is still made up of cheap plastics that would make a Kia beancounter blanch. Yes, you're still never 100% sure when it comes to Daimler-Chrysler reliability (but then again, how much do we know about a USDM UK-built Honda?), and yes, you've got to suck it up with that Import Racer Kidz image that our cars seem to avoid (at least in factory spec). And yes, the ride is flinty for those of us with less-than-perfect roads. But, take off the wing and paint it in a classy or innocuous color (silver or black), and you're most of the way there aesthetically. Recognize that to approach the sort of handling envelope that the SRT-4 is capable of, you'd have to tighten up the EP's suspension to darn near unacceptable levels.

All of this is to say nothing of 1.8T GTIs and Jettas, the Focus SVT, etc. Our EP has ended up being a weird little niche vehicle in a market that it has almost for itself (a half-step above garden-variety Civics and ZX3s, a half-step below SVT and PVO offerings). This is, of course, provided you work at bringing down those Honda finance guys from their ivory residual towers.

Ok, so I'm rambling, but that's my two cents. Love your EP not because of where it came from, but because it fits your needs.

tony speed
06-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by RiceCzechs

Is national origin really that big of a deal to you guys?

to become an SRT-4, WRX, or EVO beater. I like the fact that I drive something a bit out of the norm, and that it has room for my 9 year old son in the back.

Ok, so I'm rambling, but that's my two cents. Love your EP not because of where it came from, but because it fits your needs.

Well, you have to admit there are a lot of people out there that are just plain out partial to japanese cars. Growing up, we had all american cars, but all of them gave such bad problems that I vowed to never buy one when I grew up. I don't agree with the design aims of most american cars. Actually one can argue convincingly that the SRT-4 is an attempt to draw buyers away from the civic scene. In any case, I can't think of one american compact or sedan that I find attractive to the eye. For a lot of people, not all, japanese cars are a way of distinguishing themselves. Then again, I'm one of those strange kids who takes japanese in college and grew up on a healthy dose of anime growing up.

I'm making it a point that when I'm done with my EP, I will be able to beat a WRX and an SRT-4. Better belive it. I'll leave the evos untouched though.

Yeah, I do love my ep for what it is. I bought it because it was stylish, had a hatchback and had space to carry passengers (I was going to buy a prelude sh at first). But I also like it cause it's japanese and represents a fundamentally different
car-design train of thought that the traditional american fast car. Smaller engine. High-rev racing....and the support for adding a turbo or a super-charger

gpt
06-02-2003, 08:53 AM
For me Honda represents a ideology of overcoming problems with technical innovation. Kind of like brains over brawn.

If they want power they do not throw a bigger engine into the car, they use innovation to produce more power from a more efficient smaller engine. The exact opposite of "theres no replacement for displacement"...... Any company can make lots of power from a large engine, how many companys make 240HP from a NA 2 litre production road going engine - only one - Honda.

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 12:28 PM
But what is the point of being so size efficient? Chevy's LS6 gets
almost as good mileage as we (Si drivers) do, and you can't argue with the performance. Sure, it's a more expensive engine. But the LS1 that they had in the Camaro got over 20mpg too.

What Honda does, it does very well. But an ant can lift 50 times
its bodyweight, would you rather lift as much as an ant, or as
much as a human?

Tony Speed says:
>I'm making it a point that when I'm done with my EP,
>I will be able to beat a WRX and an SRT-4. Better belive it.
>I'll leave the evos untouched though.

But you'll probably spend more doing it than either of those cost,
have horrible gas mileage, no warranty, and be a thief magnet.

tony speed
06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
[i]
But you'll probably spend more doing it than either of those cost,
have horrible gas mileage, no warranty, and be a thief magnet. [/B]

but it will be a better can than either of those so the cost is worth it
i won't run high boost 24-7
warranty won't be needed anyway
i'll have the satisfaction of designing my own vehicle
and knowing more about my car than the normal joe
i have an alarm and i'm not going too flashy so no thieves here.

there are 2 kinds of people on this board:
those obsessed with waranties and practicality and resale value and cost.
those obessesed with personalized automobiles and the satisfaction and learning process of doing your own design.
why are the first kind on the ephatch forum anyway? i have no idea. car and driver forum is much more applicable

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 02:21 PM
>but it will be a better can than either of those so the cost is >worth it
>i won't run high boost 24-7
>warranty won't be needed anyway
>i'll have the satisfaction of designing my own vehicle
>and knowing more about my car than the normal joe
>i have an alarm and i'm not going too flashy so no thieves here.

The cost may be worth it. But is your $27,000+ Civic going to be a better can than the RX8, 350Z, Evo, and other competitors in that price range? And that's assuming you only spend $10,000, and not counting spent time.

That said, I think it's great to work on your car, and learn about it. I'm not arguing about that, I'm just arguing that $10,000 spent on any car is $10,000. If you started with an SRT4 and spent $10 grand, where would you be?

>there are 2 kinds of people on this board:
>those obsessed with waranties and practicality and resale value >and cost.
>those obessesed with personalized automobiles and the >satisfaction and learning process of doing your own design.

Basically the 2 categories you've defined consist of:
1. People with lots of money and spare time
2. People without lots of money and spare time
(by the way, most of the people on this board are #2)

>why are the first kind on the ephatch forum anyway? i have no >idea. car and driver forum is much more applicable

So you're saying get rid of 95% of the ephatch members? Because only 5% are ever going to do more than IHE, if that.

tony speed
06-02-2003, 02:40 PM
>But is your $27,000+ Civic going to be a better can than the RX8, 350Z, Evo, and other competitors in that price range? And that's assuming you only spend $10,000, and not counting spent time.

That said, I think it's great to work on your car, and learn about it. I'm not arguing about that, I'm just arguing that $10,000 spent on any car is $10,000. If you started with an SRT4 and spent $10 grand, where would you be?

>

ok. on point 3 you got me there.
i don't know. in my eyes it will be better cause i get a supreme feeling of happiness with each small upgrade i do. i actually like my my car more now than when it was stock cause it's beginning to be my own automobile.
As far as where i'd be if an SRT-4 and $10,000? I'd be driving a really suped-up car I didn't want in the first place. I prefer to start with a base I like. And unless someone could have given me an evo or STI for $15,000, i'm stuck with my great ep.

hamlet9634
06-02-2003, 02:57 PM
EP hatch = 16000 (a little more than most of us paid, but lets say that's avg cost)

springs, sways = 500

high performance rubber and semi-light wheels = 1000

turbo system = 4000

racing brakes = 750

250hp (rounding down), hot handling, hard braking, track monster with no warranty and a cool dashboard mounted shift knob =

$22,250

pretty much the same as the srt-4, no? (except we have nicer seats and they have that cool hood mounted vent.. take your pick)

tony speed
06-02-2003, 03:15 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p8084aaf04e466b442b3dd2003a00f42c/fc5b58d1.jpg http://www.chevroncars.com/wocc/media/view/hope/df.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/p8084aaf04e466b442b3dd2003a00f42c/fc5b58d1.jpg http://www.chevroncars.com/wocc/media/view/hope/df.gif

..........:confused: :eek: ;)

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 03:22 PM
>ok. on point 3 you got me there.
>i don't know. in my eyes it will be better cause i get a supreme >feeling of happiness with each small upgrade i do. i actually like >my my car more now than when it was stock cause it's >beginning to be my own automobile.

If it makes you that happy, by all means do it.
I just can't stand the following arguments:
1. If I make extreme modifications to my car, it will be better than all these other cars.
2. I live my life a quarter mile at a time, unless anyone brings up an American car in which case I'll lose them in the curvies.
3. Higher hp/L is the only thing that matters.
4. That car (WRX/SRT4/1.8T/etc) isn't faster, it just has a turbo.

>As far as where i'd be if an SRT-4 and $10,000? I'd be driving a >really suped-up car I didn't want in the first place. I prefer to >start with a base I like. And unless someone could have given >me an evo or STI for $15,000, i'm stuck with my great ep.

Well, if all you could afford in the first place was a $15,000 car, how are you going to afford to spend the rest of the money? (unless you are doing it over a very long period of time) My point was that if you can afford to spend all this money on modifications and the occasional warranty repair, why couldn't you just have bought a nicer car? But if you are happy with it, it is completely irrelevant.

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by hamlet9634
EP hatch = 16000 (a little more than most of us paid, but lets say that's avg cost)
springs, sways = 500
high performance rubber and semi-light wheels = 1000
turbo system = 4000
racing brakes = 750
250hp (rounding down), hot handling, hard braking, track
monster with no warranty and a cool dashboard mounted shift knob =
$22,250
pretty much the same as the srt-4, no? (except we have nicer seats and they have that cool hood mounted vent.. take your pick)

I don't think you can get a properly tuned turbo system for less than $5000 installed. Intercooler? Engine designed for boost? heavier clutch? Factory support? Warranty?

But I have no problem with that, if it makes you happy, do it.

tony speed
06-02-2003, 03:29 PM
>ok. on point 3 you got me there.
>i don't know. in my eyes it will be better cause i get a supreme >feeling of happiness with each small upgrade i do. i actually like >my my car more now than when it was stock cause it's >beginning to be my own automobile.

1. If I make extreme modifications to my car, it will be better than all these other cars.

only if done right. and who decides what is better?

2. I live my life a quarter mile at a time, unless anyone brings up an American car in which case I'll lose them in the curvies.

i've lost corvettes in the curvies ;)

3. Higher hp/L is the only thing that matters.

that's scary

4. That car (WRX/SRT4/1.8T/etc) isn't faster, it just has a turbo.

..........never heard this one before

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 03:37 PM
>>1. If I make extreme modifications to my car, it will be better >>than all these other cars.
>only if done right. and who decides what is better?

Exactly.

>>2. I live my life a quarter mile at a time, unless anyone brings >>up an American car in which case I'll lose them in the curvies.
>i've lost corvettes in the curvies

I mean, who hasn't?

>>3. Higher hp/L is the only thing that matters.
>that's scary

Well, it's one of the primary lines of Honda defense.

>>4. That car (WRX/SRT4/1.8T/etc) isn't faster, it just has a turbo.
>>..........never heard this one before

Well, it generally sounds more like this.
"The SRT4 has 215 horsepower? Well, an EP with a conservative 7psi of boost would probably run a double conservative 240. So the EP is just as fast, it just doesn't have a turbo."

SiNi$t3R
06-02-2003, 03:45 PM
You muthafuckas are drivin me nuts!!!! Why is it that the grass is always greener with u phuckin humans???? Then once ur over the fence, the grass turns into sour grapes!!. Its not like u didint know what u were getting into when u saw that EP at the dealership. When I first laid eyes on my EP, I thought of a retarded focus with a dildo attached to the console. But after the test drive, we bonded and an unconditional love blossomed. Alot of thought came into wether or not i should buy this over grown baby shoe. ONce I had her in my hand, I felt like I had a new girlfriend all over again. In fact we spent the night together (the EP Not my girl.) Yeah true I slept in Her the first night. Kinda wierd but me and the lady were having a fight anyway so it was a good excuse for me to sleep in the EP. Im rambling on and on I know but my point is I find my EP to be this beautiful babe that is there for me time after time. I try to treat her right and im happy to be with her. Plus she dosen't get pissed when i stare at other cars. LOL . But nevertheless I love her. Tonight Im takin her to a night out in the town. And im not going to wear any underwear.

sniperSI
06-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SiNi$t3R
You muthafuckas are drivin me nuts!!!! Why is it that the grass is always greener with u phuckin humans???? Then once ur over the fence, the grass turns into sour grapes!!. Its not like u didint know what u were getting into when u saw that EP at the dealership. When I first laid eyes on my EP, I thought of a retarded focus with a dildo attached to the console. But after the test drive, we bonded and an unconditional love blossomed. Alot of thought came into wether or not i should buy this over grown baby shoe. ONce I had her in my hand, I felt like I had a new girlfriend all over again. In fact we spent the night together (the EP Not my girl.) Yeah true I slept in Her the first night. Kinda wierd but me and the lady were having a fight anyway so it was a good excuse for me to sleep in the EP. Im rambling on and on I know but my point is I find my EP to be this beautiful babe that is there for me time after time. I try to treat her right and im happy to be with her. Plus she dosen't get pissed when i stare at other cars. LOL . But nevertheless I love her. Tonight Im takin her to a night out in the town. And im not going to wear any underwear.

Wow, i feel real bad now, i need to do something for my EP so she knows she's still #1 with me.

Maybe a sponge bath.

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Hey, I think my car is great. I enjoy driving it every time I buckle in. I don't regret buying it at all.

Can it hang with an SRT4? Nope!

MINIVANKILLER
06-02-2003, 04:17 PM
The Si is going down the drain in one more month, and I will be purchasing the SRT-4. I have test driven one and truely love it. I have driven many turbo cars and the SRT-4 spoils up the fastest and sounds about like my mod'ed Si. As for the women, do not need those I have a wife. As for the speed. I will have it running 12's in no time flat...you all have fun with the 14's and 15's..I loved it while I was there. Time to go faster

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 05:24 PM
ahmen my brother! AHMEN!!! You said it

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by MINIVANKILLER
The Si is going down the drain in one more month, and I will be purchasing the SRT-4. I have test driven one and truely love it. I have driven many turbo cars and the SRT-4 spoils up the fastest and sounds about like my mod'ed Si. As for the women, do not need those I have a wife. As for the speed. I will have it running 12's in no time flat...you all have fun with the 14's and 15's..I loved it while I was there. Time to go faster
yeah only way we'll see 13's or 12's, if that, is if you go for the JDM DC5 motor or get a turbo. I'm not all about being crazy and going for 12's in my daily driver. I'm only wanting high 13's or low 14's in mine. I'm going to stick all motor, I've never had luck with boost :D unless steve (ssvr6) does good with his turbo, then maybe.

And don't even worry man, the girls will like the car :D I saw that red one with gunmetal rims on the srt site, nice ride!

I'm a honda fan myself, so you won't see me go there.

By the way, play it smart and be safe when you boost it up for the 12's. I wouldn't run that boost on the street, but hey, you're not me.

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4604
Mopar Performance Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade for SRT-4
Here are the details of the Mopar Performance Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade.

Mopar will start taking orders next week. They should be ready to ship no later than June 15 (if not earlier).

You will need to provide your VIN # and ODO reading to get the order through the system (ordering from a dealer or on-line).

Components:
_(4) Fuel Injectors -- 527cc/min* (Static fuel flow rated at 58 PSI)
_(1) MOPAR Performance Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - calibrated by the guys that the know the vehicle the BEST (PVO engineers)

Performance Ratings:
_ 240 hp @ 5200 rpm
_ 260 ft-lbs @ 2400-4400 rpm

Calibration Features:
Increased WOT and part throttle boost
More aggressive exhaust note during deceleration
Enhanced 1st gear boost schedule for a higher performance launch
Improved Turbo Response
_Optimized calibration for the MOPAR Performance Blow Off Valve conversion kit (sold separately - available in July 2003)

MSRP: $399
---------------------------

$399 for 240/260 and still under warranty. Considering current SRT4's are dynoing about that much at the crank, I can't wait to see what the Stage 1 monsters do. I think there are going to be a LOT of Si defectors. To get an Si up to those levels of performance would require a LOT of money and time.

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 08:54 PM
I thought it was 599

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
crap, nevermind, it is only 399, sweet ass deal!

Tekdemon
06-02-2003, 09:01 PM
heh I like how the upgrade isn't ripped off...$399 or $599(either one) is a plenty cheap upgrade...Hell a friggin Hondata reflash is $600 and MOPAR is giving the new programming plus injectors...

wonder what else they have up their sleeves...

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Tekdemon
heh I like how the upgrade isn't ripped off...$399 or $599(either one) is a plenty cheap upgrade...Hell a friggin Hondata reflash is $600 and MOPAR is giving the new programming plus injectors...

wonder what else they have up their sleeves...
exactly. Why bother with hondata on our cars, when we know that if you add i/h/e it doesn't help.

van_yammer
06-02-2003, 11:27 PM
What does Hondata and IHE run? $600, $250, $400, $400?
$1650 for mid 15's? More if you have a pro install. So far the EP is a pretty expensive project car. Anything less than an engine swap or turbo doesn't get you much.

IceD out N CALI
06-03-2003, 12:08 AM

hehe i knew someone would jump ship

02SilverSiHB
06-03-2003, 07:01 AM
What does Hondata and IHE run? $600, $250, $400, $400?
$1650 for mid 15's? More if you have a pro install. So far the EP is a pretty expensive project car. Anything less than an engine swap or turbo doesn't get you much.
yeah, the hondata would be dumb right now, unless they do a better job on the tune.

As for not doing much for my car...the i/h/e I believe I can run better than a mid 15, since I'm in Texas and it's fucking hot, you can imagine how my times are affected. To give you an idea, a 95 hatch with a B16 and LS head was only hitting 15.6 with his 15" rota slipstream and falken azenis....I know a light weight hatch like that should do better. I could go on all day about the other cars at the track getting shitty times for what they could, but I'm not sure if you'll understand how bad the heat is here.

tony speed
06-03-2003, 11:14 AM

damn....i got another compliment on my si. I get one at least once a month. wouldn't cheat for the world.

MINIVANKILLER
06-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Thank you for all the explanations about my move to the SRT-4. I own a performance shop so I will not have any trouble with the SRT-4 being made into a daily driver and still running 12's at the track...I want it to attrack business because that is the name of the game.

I was a Honda fan, for the longest time, until they shafted me on the warranty. That is why I now own a jetta 1.8 t, and soon to be the SRT-4. I may go back to Honda one day, but that will be when they come out with something that blows the market away. They are falling behind right now though. To many cars out now...just need the budget to support them

IceD out N CALI
06-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Thank you for all the explanations about my move to the SRT-4. I own a performance shop so I will not have any trouble with the SRT-4 being made into a daily driver and still running 12's at the track...I want it to attrack business because that is the name of the game.

I was a Honda fan, for the longest time, until they shafted me on the warranty. That is why I now own a jetta 1.8 t, and soon to be the SRT-4. I may go back to Honda one day, but that will be when they come out with something that blows the market away. They are falling behind right now though. To many cars out now...just need the budget to support them

are you going to trade in the ep for the srt4? if so, arent u worried about loosing all that money cuz of low resale?

Shark
06-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Dude, your post was one of the funniest things I've ever read in a forum. I laughed-out-loud for about 5 minutes, no lie.

When I first laid eyes on an EP, I thought it was the ugliest thing on four wheels. Between the goofball shifter placement and doorstop styling, I simply laughed when I first seen it. After a quick test drive, it's homely appearance and goofy shifter were quickly forgotten as I had to have it as a daily driver.

Thanks again for the laugh!

...You muthafuckas are drivin me nuts!!!! Why is it that the grass is always greener with u phuckin humans???? Then once ur over the fence, the grass turns into sour grapes!!. Its not like u didint know what u were getting into when u saw that EP at the dealership. When I first laid eyes on my EP, I thought of a retarded focus with a dildo attached to the console...

redronin22
06-03-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, the hondata would be dumb right now, unless they do a better job on the tune.

As for not doing much for my car...the i/h/e I believe I can run better than a mid 15, since I'm in Texas and it's fucking hot, you can imagine how my times are affected. To give you an idea, a 95 hatch with a B16 and LS head was only hitting 15.6 with his 15" rota slipstream and falken azenis....I know a light weight hatch like that should do better. I could go on all day about the other cars at the track getting shitty times for what they could, but I'm not sure if you'll understand how bad the heat is here.

Trust me unless u drove the car you cannot bag on HONDATA. Its like people sayin the CIVIC SI is slow n sucks ass n all they did was read a mag. so quit bein a mag forum whore n go drive a reflashed car. It owns trust me if not take it back they have a full money back warranty.