PDA

View Full Version : BaseRSX IM = the next big bolt-on?

BlasTech
05-30-2003, 04:50 PM
I was reading over the k20 tech page (http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html) at hondata's site and was wondering about the BASE RSX Intake Manifold as a bolt-on that would give an EP3 an extra bit of torque to make up for the CAI dip at the low end.

The base RSX IM is a dual-stage system that uses long thin runners for lower rpms and short thicker runners at upper rpms, so its like having the best of both worlds for intake manifolds. PLUS the plastic construction is most likely more resistant to heat soak from the head/radiator than our aluminum one is.

Could this be the reason we get all kinds of promising expectations from intakes based on the clubrsx board?

I dont know if the runner-switch is mechanical or electrical (meaning ecu-driven), but the full assembly is probably an affordable project for resourceful folks.

JSIR, you seem to know about IM's a bit, what is your take on this? Lots of folks ask "I have i/h/e/hondata, what's next?". Let's discuss...

fishboy
05-30-2003, 05:05 PM
i am not familiar with the differences between the 2 manifolds. i was thinking that the heat that our IM generates also contributes to the descrepancy. i think the hondata IM gasket would give us back some power and also be a much cheaper option.

with i/h/e i am somewhat stuck when it comes to modding too. i don't know what to save up for next. throttle body maybe? suspension stuff?

BlasTech
05-30-2003, 05:09 PM
I'd always recommend some suspension stuff (wheels/tires at the very least if you dont have those yet). Consider that stock suspension doesnt even let you get the most out of the base engine's power.

fishboy
05-30-2003, 05:18 PM
yeah i already have the drop, rims, and strut bars. i want a rear sway and that engine dampner. as for the engine i dunno what yet. hondata IMG maybe. put that in the same time as the NAAAWWWZ.:D

JSIR
05-30-2003, 07:29 PM
well there is no practical way to power the 2 stage manifold, although I think they are a decent piece. You would need the RSX ecu and all the vacuum lines to power the manifold, otherwise it would only be a one stage manifold. Probably not worth the effort.

The RSX manifold actually has a metal section which mounts from the head to about 12 inches out, then a plastic section connects from the metal section to the throttle body. So it is only 1/2 plastic, thus they still benefit from a Hondata gasket.

If you have a Hondata ecu mod, the RSX manifold may be restrictive for top end rpms - above stock limiter. Lastly a few base RSX people talk about swapping to the RSX-S or Si manifold in order to improve top end, so it surely must be a trade-off in power along the power curve. Depends what you like best. But I think the practicality of getting the two stages to work at the proper rpms would be a problem.

hth.

Joey

BlasTech
05-31-2003, 08:51 AM
ahh, well that explains it, thanks.

fishboy
05-31-2003, 10:22 AM
JSIR is awesome!:D

Tenacious G
06-02-2003, 01:58 PM
so with the intake manifold differences, would it be safe to say that EP owners could NOT expect the same low-end torque gains the K20A2 had on Comptech's dyno of the Icebox?

BlasTech
06-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Id say not until we see the EP dyno. Same goes for any intake that is only dyno'd on the base RSX, like the P-flo.

Tenacious G
06-02-2003, 02:35 PM
perhaps JSIR will be kind enough to dyno his EP once he receives his icebox.

:D