PDA

View Full Version : ICEBOX friggin OUT!!!

silver ep
05-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Says its available NOW! FINALLY!!!
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/330150si.html

SiR_d1
05-30-2003, 09:13 PM
its been available for a while, but they wont ship yet which is why you have to preorder:(

silver ep
05-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Comptech says they are available now, which Im assuming they are ready to be shipped.

SiR_d1
05-30-2003, 09:24 PM
not from what I hear, but then again I could be wrong

EP33
05-31-2003, 12:58 AM
I too heard they aren't ready to go just yet. Maybe next week??? Hopefully:(

JSIR
05-31-2003, 07:45 AM
I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago and I was 8th on the list of back orders last week. They have shipped 4 boxes this week of the back orders, all remaining back orders will be shipped/filled by Wednesday of this coming week.

I would assume they could start filling new orders by the end of the coming week. I'm hoping mine will go out by Wednesday and I should have it 7 days later by the time it gets up here.

Joey

TomR123
05-31-2003, 09:52 AM
I wonder how hard it would be to fab the tube or order it as a seperate part, because all it looks like is the hondata airbox design whith a cold air tube. Also does anyone know where the tube is gonna end up in the engine bay? just trying to think of a cheap alternative to this.

JSIR
05-31-2003, 12:01 PM
the tube goes up over the rad hose in front of the box location , then goes straight down where a radiused end sucks what is supposed to be cooler air. That would be just above the splash shield and probably just below the bottom of the radiator. It should be cooler that the upper underhood air, but maybe not 100% cooler, but still a good balance I think.

You could fab one for the stock box if you like using flexible hose, and you could even run it to the location used by the AEM intake, like I have right now. But in the end I've decided just to get a pre-fab box and tube instead of fooling around with home made ghetto stuff. Believe me I've tried it all with the stock intake, gutted the inside box, cut new air supply holes, and used new intake hosing. But after all that it just looks ghetto, I can hear the metal piping rub in certain driving manoevers, and the air supply is still not optimal.

I'm dishing out the bucks for the Comptech. :confused:

siver-SI
06-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Anyone know what the horse power increase is from this?

JSIR
06-01-2003, 09:26 AM
not yet, they haven't released dyno numbers for the Si, my guess is about 4-5 whp perhaps. hard to say.

Joey

EP33
06-02-2003, 06:10 PM
I hope my ICEBOX will be in my man hands by the end of this week:D

JSIR
06-02-2003, 07:17 PM
ep33 let us know how she goes, its gonna take me longer to get mine due to the shipping time of 7 days.

Joey:(

EP33
06-02-2003, 07:20 PM
I will post pics and give butt dyno results.

ATRIOT
06-03-2003, 01:18 PM
EP33, When you dyno your Icebox, could you do another run with a K&N drop-in filter inplace of the blue foam filter? Reason i ask is that my Acura/Comptech dealer spoke of people switching to the K&N drop-in for better performance.

EP33
06-03-2003, 06:44 PM
UPS says: Scheduled Delivery: Jun 4, 2003
Jun 3, 2003 2:03 P.M. SYLMAR, CA, US UPS INTERNAL ACTIVITY CODE;FORWARDED TO DESTINATION

YEAH!:D

Ok ATRIOT, now what's this about the drop in filter? A K&N may perform better than the Comptech foam filter?

Oh no, I don't wanna fork out more $ for a K&N drop in. Did your Acura source give any specific info bout the gains when using the K&N?

ATRIOT
06-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Nope no hard emperical evidence given, the acura dealer just mentioned that alot of people who had the icebox (for the TL i think... not sure though) swapped out the sponge filter for a K&N cotton type. Does anyone know which flows better? K&N or Foam... Then again who really cares, the difference is nominal anyways.

KeNnYtAkEr
06-05-2003, 08:18 AM
ANyone know when the Mugen version is coming out?

SiNi$t3R
06-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by KeNnYtAkEr
ANyone know when the Mugen version is coming out?

are u actually willing to pay that much for the Mugen Brand???
If u have alot of money to burn, i could use some.:D

Steve02Si
06-05-2003, 09:14 AM
K&N style filters filter better, but foam flows better at the expense of poor filtration. I'd stay with the K&N style on a street driven car. It'll easily provide enough airflow for you.

JSIR
06-05-2003, 09:16 AM
problem with the Mugen intake is that it sucks the same hot air as the stock intake, not a cold air setup really. But it is a nice product, though a bit pricey.

dustinhurley
06-05-2003, 11:06 AM
I doubt the Mugen intake will ever be available for the left hand drive EP. It really isn't worth the money either. I love Mugen, but the more popular and affordable intakes on the market simply work better. I've been hearing some good about AEM V2.

EP33
06-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Yo Yo Yo check it!:D

EP33
06-07-2003, 07:26 AM
:eek:

This makes me want to keep my Thyphoon on hand for rainy days. Hella easier to install compared to the stock box you know? Once I install it (yes I'll take pics) we'll see how low the airhorn is to the ground.

EP33
06-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Nikki gives her approval. . .

siver-SI
06-07-2003, 07:48 AM
Looking good. I would like to see some pics when done and most of all a dyno. I am thinking this or a Injen CAI with a hydro filter.

EP33
06-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Chk it. . .

limp_noodle
06-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Oh man that thing looks sexxy. Its nice and subtle. http://forums.thevboard.com/images/smiles/359.gif

JSIR
06-07-2003, 11:47 AM
looks great, but the snorkel pipe is in the wrong hole in that pic, he, he. Mine is still 6 days away , and counting.

let us know how she feels.

JOey

02TafWhtSi
06-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
looks great, but the snorkel pipe is in the wrong hole in that pic, he, he. Mine is still 6 days away , and counting.

let us know how she feels.

JOey

yes, the all important butt dyno :D

soniccar
06-07-2003, 08:23 PM
That warning worries me a little. Vaccuum is greatest at idle, or lower RPM. The engine has its lowest vaccuum at its highest RPM. (Due to valve overlap and pumping losses). So when you are strolling through a puddle at 10mph in a parking lot, you may very well be at 4x the redline vaccuum. Follow? With all the rain on the east coast lately, I think I'll leave the down snorkel off and fit on a RS Akimoto velocity stack. They are less than $20 delivered.

SiR_d1
06-07-2003, 08:40 PM
What was the total cost Canadian you paid for you ICEBOX if you don't mind me asking (Including shipping)? So you say it takes about a week eh? I might order mine on monday

JSIR
06-08-2003, 06:19 AM
I really have no idea I was in a hurry so I needed it any pretty much any cost, so I paid full list on it. It is about $290 US plus shipping, so say about $315 US. Once it gets to the border I'll have to pay GST and PST and broker UPS Fees, so add another $75 Canadian. I'd say a rough estaimate will be $500 Canadian with all taxes, shipping and charges, and currency exchange.

There is one distributor that could have gotten it to me for $260 US shipped. But they could not get me the part when I wanted it in terms of time frames. If you aren't in a hurry I'd try him as he always has the best pricing for Comptech stuff, out of Florida. If you are interested I can get you his contact info.

Joey

02TafWhtSi
06-08-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by soniccar
That warning worries me a little. Vaccuum is greatest at idle, or lower RPM. The engine has its lowest vaccuum at its highest RPM. (Due to valve overlap and pumping losses). So when you are strolling through a puddle at 10mph in a parking lot, you may very well be at 4x the redline vaccuum. Follow? With all the rain on the east coast lately, I think I'll leave the down snorkel off and fit on a RS Akimoto velocity stack. They are less than $20 delivered.

Where does the down snorkel from the Icebox sit in relation to most other cold air intake filters?

JSIR
06-08-2003, 07:17 AM
I think the splash shield helps keep the real wet stuff away from the snorkel tube. To suck up big volumes of water you would probably have to drive through a pool of water 12 inches deep or more and stay in that pool for a period of time. A quick splash through wont suck up a large amount of water. Still seems like a safe setup, with the filter away from the sucking area, the icebox itself would have to fill with a lot of water first.

SiR_d1
06-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
I really have no idea I was in a hurry so I needed it any pretty much any cost, so I paid full list on it. It is about $290 US plus shipping, so say about $315 US. Once it gets to the border I'll have to pay GST and PST and broker UPS Fees, so add another $75 Canadian. I'd say a rough estaimate will be $500 Canadian with all taxes, shipping and charges, and currency exchange.

There is one distributor that could have gotten it to me for $260 US shipped. But they could not get me the part when I wanted it in terms of time frames. If you aren't in a hurry I'd try him as he always has the best pricing for Comptech stuff, out of Florida. If you are interested I can get you his contact info.

Joey

Thanks man,
that would be great if you could give me the details of this distributor

JSIR
06-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1

Thanks man,
that would be great if you could give me the details of this distributor

There is a guy named Dean Baty , his e-mail is deansbluesi@yahoo.com , works for a shop in Fla. . He is the only guy I know that discounts Comptech stuff, always has good prices. I know a few guys that have bought from him, so I guess he is reliable. Tell him I sent you and see what he has to offer.

good luck

Joey

EP33
06-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Installed the Ice Box tonight. It took a couple of hours or so. I already miss the sound of the Typhoon:(
Torque seems lower compared to the Typhoon. HP seems up compared to the Typhoon.

It sounds like an electric car compared to the Typhoon, very quiet. I'll be evaluating it for awhile. I did about 9 consecutive on-ramp merges as a test. The cool air from the bottom is spot on.

EP33
06-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Jury is still out . . . .

JSIR
06-09-2003, 05:58 AM
thanks for the info EP33, install looks great, I like it, I think the snorkel tube is perfectly located as well.

thanks for the butt dyno info, that is strange about the torque and HP sensations, so you think top end power is stronger with the Icebox, but bottom end torque may be lower ?. It would be very interesting to see on a dyno.

good work !

Joey

EP33
06-09-2003, 06:59 AM
J,

You said it. It "feels" like off the line response is slower. I haven't driven the car much, so really it's too soon to tell. The ECU needs to get its maps together. I'll log miles today so we'll see. The powerband seems much more linear compared to the Typhoon.

Now we need to firgure out how to attach some sort of "ram air" extension to the Ice Box ait horn. Have it face front. . . .:D

I'll more pics in a new thread.

Thanks,
G

JSIR
06-09-2003, 07:33 AM
my expectation in getting the Icebox is to have similar performance as my old K&N SRI Typhoon when it was run on the dyno with the hood open or in cold weather. The Typhoon's shortfall occured when you closed the hood on the dyno or drove in very hot humid weather. I'm hoping the Icebox can flow the same but isolate the extreme hot temps. I don't care about the sound, I kinda prefer a quiet intake actually, that would suit me fine. I don't care about the icebox being better than the AEM/INJEN/DC Sports intakes, I just want it to perform similar to a SRI without the heat related problems. To me that means about 5whp gains over stock, if it can do that I will be happy.

The linear power band sounds interesting, I think the Icebox has been shown to have such an effect, which is good. Sometimes linear powerbands dont feel as strong as ones that fluctuate based on butt dyno sensations, but they are preferred IMO.

EP33
06-09-2003, 09:40 AM
Come on. . . you don't think you'll miss the howl of the Thyphoon at WOT?

I guess I'm trying to relive the dual Weber VW days. . . . . Nothing like a pair of 48mm carbs on a built air cooled VW motor.

What was I talking about again. .oh yeah. Ice Box. It's a cool overcast day today in SoCal so I'm gonna hit the road and holla back with updates.

siver-SI
06-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok a few questions. First how easy does it look to pick up water? When you are saying it is quiet how much diffrent does it sound then the OEM box?

I guess the last one is what nuespeed model is that on your car? That is the one that bolts to the fire wall and strut tower right?

Thanks for the pictures and showing how it looks. I can not wait till see the Dyno Results.

isaac biggin
06-09-2003, 06:36 PM
This set up still seems like the air goes through a screwed up path almost as bad as stock.In the summer the temp on the pavement gets up to 100-135 and it draws air from like 7 inches off the pavement.one of the reasons i like my cold air intake(aem) also is that it looks clean under the hood.More room not so crowded.But hey just my 2cents.I still cant wait for some dyno figures it's got me curious :o

EP33
06-09-2003, 08:55 PM
First, I must say that the performance of the Ice Box has grown on me. This setup seems to have a resonate air flow window from about 4K rpm to redline. In this range the car develops good power. From about 5500 rpm to redline, there is a distinctive "air rushing" sound that again is much quieter than the Typhoon, but about 40% louder than the stock air box.

I agree with issac biggin in that the room under the hood is now gone.

The Neuspeed (Tornactive.com) bar is the one that does NOT bolt to the firewall. It is a work of art in that (1.) I didn't have to remove it in order to install the Ice Box . (2) In turns, it makes all the difference in the world.

The Ice Box picks up air from above the splash shield. It is pretty direct from there, up into the filter and to the engine. No crazy bends like the stock airbox.

silver ep
06-09-2003, 09:16 PM
I ordered my Box today from Comptech, Ill give my impressions as soon as I get it installed.

JSIR
06-10-2003, 06:01 AM
looks good, nice pic !

thanks for the butt dyno info.

Joey:cool:

Mr.02BlackSIguY
06-11-2003, 01:22 AM
first of all, i think the comptech looks sick as hell. very good stuff. it looks like the comptech has a foam intake, what if someone puts like a k&n filter instead? would it be even more crazy and produce alittle but more gians? i know its still new, but it looks like a good thing to try out.