PDA

View Full Version : Never again AEM

AznPower
05-31-2003, 02:46 PM
So today was a rainy day. It was raining harder than normal. I was on the highway when my motor starts acting funny. It would rev to 2g and back down and keep doing it everytime i was in neutral. I finally get home and do a visual check on my motor and nothing. So them i remove the sensor out my intake and its wet. So im like fuck so i remove the intake and theres droplets of water all down my intake. So i had to put my stock intake back on. This isn't the first time it has happen but then the last few time it was only like for a 1min then goes away but this time it keep doing it and my engine light was on. Fuck AEM. Give it, it was rainy but i thought that " the car had to drive through a river before it would take in water" NOT TRUE. But i consider myself lucky that my motor didn't blow. "or wait if it did blow would i then finally get a k20a2?" but oh well. its not my time yet.

SubliminalSi
05-31-2003, 02:49 PM
Do you have a bypass?..ive had my AEM for a long ass time without problem

chakra71
05-31-2003, 03:04 PM
hmm... this is very interesting indeed....

first i've heard of water causing a problem on a CAI. anyone else?

f1fever
05-31-2003, 03:31 PM
Never happen to me when I had the CAI in my Prelude. But I was worried like hell when it rain or snow...

I think is a very good idea to put a hydro filter. Cause I know a few guys from Hondaprelude.com got hydro lock when they ran over the puddle...

r3p00c
05-31-2003, 03:43 PM
strange... usually wet cai stories are 'i heard from my cousin's friends brothers uncle that his engine hydro-locked because of a CAI!!'. I've driven through some of the worst rain/snow i've ever seen in my life, with no problems whatsoever stemming from my intake... is the aem filter located in a different position than the injen?

another thing... i don't mean to insult your intellegence or anything so don't take it the wrong way, but was everything installed correctly and was the bottom plastic panel of your front end in its correct place? i've even checked my filter after driving thru wet conditions, just to find the filter completely dry.

TrippZ
05-31-2003, 03:47 PM
im probably more paranoid then anyone else on this board.

i try to not drive in the rain, not because of the car condition or whatever (even though im anal about that too), but im scared about the intake - and i have an srai

yep

IceD out N CALI
05-31-2003, 04:26 PM
this is why if i get an intake it would have to be the icebox-just to be on the safe side:)

JSIR
05-31-2003, 04:47 PM
did you do the Hondata intake manifold gasket upgrade as well ?. just curious as I was contacted by a fellow member who had similar problems as you describe, turned out his intake manifold has cracked. I suspect over-tightening during the manifold install.

But a wet intake system can cause problems of its own, we havent' heard of too many of these problems on the EP though, but they sure can happen.

Joey

SHAKEnBAKE
05-31-2003, 04:52 PM
This is strange, you should check your splash guards, because driving thru the rain is not supposed to caused the filter to be wet.

I once drove all day long thru a heavy rain, I got scared, I opened my wheel well and check the filter, and it was bone dry.

Anyways, the filter is oiled, so that it would not absorb water. How long have you had your filter? Have you cleaned and re-oil your filter.:)

mhx
05-31-2003, 05:39 PM
this is why i have a short ram :)

enjoy!

jose
05-31-2003, 05:45 PM
i had the same problem with my k & n typhoon intake. so it's not only cold air intakes

Papa Bear
05-31-2003, 06:21 PM
I have the AEM cai and today a friend and I painted my headlights. The first thing I checked once we got the bumper cover off was the condition of the filter element. I couldn't believe that not only was it dry as a bone (I just drove it over to his place in the rain) but it was very clean. I have driven in heavy rain and some heavy snow too. I only have 3000 miles on the car but a lot of that driving has been in foul weather. We had a very long winter and sping has been very wet thus far. It looked as though the filter element is sitting in a very isolated spot where water is hard to get into. Is it possible that a hose came off or something and water came in that way? Some people with the AEM have described popping or backfireing under the hood and notice that the sound was the hose popping off of their intake. Just a shot in the dark.

AznPower
05-31-2003, 08:31 PM
well for one i have the bc3 kit so thats mostly why it was wet. But then my fender liner is still on but not my bottom peice. i figured that either the vent next to the fender and from the bottom is where water came in. But now that i've put my stock on the motor is still doing it. SO anybody know whats the deal. Is there still a chance that my motor will blow. will the lil water thats left burn way or evaporate away?

chunky
05-31-2003, 08:39 PM
some drops of water on the inside of your intake aren't going to do anything.

someting other than your intake was causing those problems. I suspect a loose sensor or connection to one of the breather hoses attached to the intake.

AznPower
05-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by chunky
some drops of water on the inside of your intake aren't going to do anything.

someting other than your intake was causing those problems. I suspect a loose sensor or connection to one of the breather hoses attached to the intake.

i deattched them from my cai when it was doing it then i reattched them to the stock and its still doing it. i'll check again but im sure there all on tight. anymore ideas?

chunky
05-31-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by AznPower

i deattched them from my cai when it was doing it then i reattched them to the stock and its still doing it. i'll check again but im sure there all on tight. anymore ideas?

hmm, since it's still doing it with the stock intake, it seems even more unlikely that it was the AEM.

Check your TPS sensor. make sure all the connectors going into the TB are snug.

and if that doesn't fix it, take it to the dealership and see if the ecu has any stored codes.

AznPower
05-31-2003, 08:56 PM
thanks chunky but i was hopping to stay away from the dealership but i guess i won't have any choce. i reseted the ecu so the check engine light is off but it still reving up and down

StrangeShadow
05-31-2003, 09:00 PM
RUN A SEARCH!!! soomone just posted a few days ago in discussion forum, that an ep wastakin in because the engine died cause it was filled w/water through the intake.

chunky
05-31-2003, 09:28 PM
thanks chunky but i was hopping to stay away from the dealership but i guess i won't have any choce. i reseted the ecu so the check engine light is off but it still reving up and down

did you check the TPS sensor? it might just need to be adjusted or tightened.

a loose TPS sensor can cause the idle to fluctuate wildly.

AznPower
05-31-2003, 09:47 PM
tps is tightend

hamlet9634
05-31-2003, 09:49 PM
it's been raining in nyc for like 2 weeks now, occasionally very hard.. and i've got an injen CAI and a buddy club kit. The kit has a cut-out that leads RIGHT into the CAI filter, and you can see the filter from the outside... this is good normally, but during a hard rain, I can feel the engine burbling and the exhaust making popping noises.. so the CAI in the rain exposed to the air (because of the buddy club kit) has a DEFINATE effect.

no hydro-lock yet.. but it's scary... gonna let the car sit a while before driving again.. and try not to drive when it's raining.

siver-SI
06-01-2003, 06:55 AM
I am wanting to get a CAI but what I am wondering to make sure does not the Injen have they Hydro filter? I want to have one for just incase. This weekend we had some bad rain and I know if I would have been driving my EP I would have had a problem. When driving are Chevy 3500 4x4 I could hear the water hitting the bottom of the truck and the trailer I had behind the truck towing my Prelude got lifted up on the one side because of the standing water. We just had a bad rain come down all of a sudden and the roads go bad. Since I live in the county there is not good drainage for a lot of roads.

trk
06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Ive had this exact problem on my last car with a AEM CAI w/ bypass valve. NEVER EVER again will I run a CAI -- unless its custom and the "down tubing" can be removed -- PERIOD. My car sucked up water and stalled in a big ass puddle I couldnt go around (one way busy ass street) ---- somehow my car survived it and I started it back up and drove home... I was scared shitless I had ruined my car.

For our EPs you CANNNOT use the bypass valve on an AEM, and no one else makes them.

This is why I went SRI.

And an ice box for 295$ --- HAH FUCK THAT TWICE.

cbecker333
06-01-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
Do you have a bypass?..ive had my AEM for a long ass time without problem

Yeah, me 2 - I've been in some pretty serious rain and the air filter got wet once or twice when I reached up there to check.....but it definitely never made the car run rough. I was under the impression that minor particles of water, or water vapor, wouldn't cause a problem if it DID make it all the way up the intake pipe.

cbecker333
06-01-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by trk
Ive had this exact problem on my last car with a AEM CAI w/ bypass valve. NEVER EVER again will I run a CAI -- unless its custom and the "down tubing" can be removed -- PERIOD. My car sucked up water and stalled in a big ass puddle I couldnt go around (one way busy ass street) ---- somehow my car survived it and I started it back up and drove home... I was scared shitless I had ruined my car.

For our EPs you CANNNOT use the bypass valve on an AEM, and no one else makes them.

This is why I went SRI.

And an ice box for 295$ --- HAH FUCK THAT TWICE.

If it was a busy one-way then fuck everybody else, cuz your car is more important than their schedule - I woulda put it in reverse and let them deal with it.

AznPower
06-01-2003, 11:17 AM
well my car is sitting at my g/f cousins house. im letting it sit maybe to let the water dry out.

trk
06-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by cbecker333

If it was a busy one-way then fuck everybody else, cuz your car is more important than their schedule - I woulda put it in reverse and let them deal with it.

I mentioned this once in another forum and got a similiar response from one person. Trust ME, it was NOT possible... this is a massive intersection, no getting out, no stopping your car... it was hailing/raining and I couldnt see shit... If I had stopped I would have been ran over and killed. IT IS RIDICULOUS TO THINK YOU COULD SAFELY/EASILY CHANGE YOUR CAI OR YOUR COURSE WHEN YOU HAD TOO... ON A PUBLIC STREET IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

cbecker333
06-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by trk

I mentioned this once in another forum and got a similiar response from one person. Trust ME, it was NOT possible... this is a massive intersection, no getting out, no stopping your car... it was hailing/raining and I couldnt see shit... If I had stopped I would have been ran over and killed. IT IS RIDICULOUS TO THINK YOU COULD SAFELY/EASILY CHANGE YOUR CAI OR YOUR COURSE WHEN YOU HAD TOO... ON A PUBLIC STREET IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

ok....if your car stalled and wouldn't start, what would've happened? You would've had to sit there there for a few minutes! It is therefore possible to stop! Why not just stop before the puddle, put your hazards on, pop the hood and disconnect the rubber boot at the top of the intake. Then ya drive through the puddle and on the other side, you stop again and reconnect the CAI. People stall on public streets all the time and it gets dealt with...if your car is stopped people will just have to deal with it.

trk
06-01-2003, 03:25 PM

ok....if your car stalled and wouldn't start, what would've happened? You would've had to sit there there for a few minutes! It is therefore possible to stop! Why not just stop before the puddle, put your hazards on, pop the hood and disconnect the rubber boot at the top of the intake. Then ya drive through the puddle and on the other side, you stop again and reconnect the CAI. People stall on public streets all the time and it gets dealt with...if your car is stopped people will just have to deal with it.

You just dont get it. Getting out would equal getting hit. Period.

SinisterCivicSi
06-01-2003, 04:22 PM
.... This isn't the first time it has happen but then the last few time it was only like for a 1min then goes away but this time it keep doing it and my engine light was on. Fuck AEM. Give it, it was rainy but i thought that " the car had to drive through a river before it would take in water" NOT TRUE.....

ok now lets be realistic, lets not blame AEM. did you do the install yourself, if so, did you do everything as instructed or did you do a "i dont need directions, this is easy" install......

this is why i didnt get a cai, due to the tremendous amounts of rain we can get here in maryland, just not worth it to me.

AznPower
06-01-2003, 04:27 PM
lol. stopping in the middle of the highway, what hell is wrong wit ya'll that shit is stupid. for one u would be starting a massive car pile up and two u would prolly cause a accedent because peeps in NC can't drive and some idot who is messing wit his radio or something would be the one not looking and smash his shit into yourz....

ok back to my car, after 2 days and reseting my ecu 2wice my car is finally back to normal. I figure the water just had to evorate out or just clear out of the manifold. Just a guess but now im just relieved and learned a very valueable lesson. No more CAI for me

Oh yea now i got a silver AEM CAI with nothing to do with it. Any takers......

cbecker333
06-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by trk

You just dont get it. Getting out would equal getting hit. Period.

Thats what hazard lights are for. Period.

cbecker333
06-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi

ok now lets be realistic, lets not blame AEM.

Thank you sinister! I was wondering at what point "I couldn't stop" became AEMs fault....

trk
06-01-2003, 05:40 PM
I was wondering at what point "I couldn't stop" became AEMs fault....

Am I the one talking about it being AEMs fault... ? NO... IM NOT.

I said... I couldnt stop or I would have most likely been killed, and your telling me to get out and fix my cai in the hail/rain/traffic.

AEM is a great brand, I have nothing wrong with them.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument. CAI is not for ME. You go ahead and do what you will.

SinisterCivicSi
06-01-2003, 05:58 PM
no i wasnt referring to you stopping in the middle of the road, i was talking about your initial post, i would never condone stopping in the middle of the road, that would be suicide.

your origional post i quoted, you said Fuck aem.....its not aem's fault....

trk
06-01-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
no i wasnt referring to you stopping in the middle of the road, i was talking about your initial post, i would never condone stopping in the middle of the road, that would be suicide.

your origional post i quoted, you said Fuck aem.....its not aem's fault....

woops-- guess I did say that.. ehhe :confused: