PDA

View Full Version : oil filter?

02civichatch
05-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Right now i use 5-20 oil and the fram double guard filter iam thinking of switching to synthetic is there any suggestitons on what kind of oil to go to and what kind of filter to use please let me know

JSIR
06-01-2003, 06:47 AM
don't skimp on oil filters, the Honda oil filter is the only one you can be sure that is made for your engine to flow properly as well as filter. Definitely use the Honda spec oil filter.

As far oils are concerned these are my favs:

Redline 5w-20 - best engineered synthetic oil but very expensive, but you can run it for twice as long as regular oil which helps pay for some of the cost. Very strong additive package, it will do 10,000 miles easily. If cost is no object this oil is excellent.

Mobil1 0w-20 - should be out in most parts of N. America now, good quality synthetic oil that can be run for 7000-9000 miles. Decent additive package. Personally I would run it for 7000 miles on my car. This is a great off the shelf motor oil, relatively affordable and works very well.

Castrol GTX 5w-20 - good conventional oil with good additive package, very affordable, you can find it in most stores. I would run it 4000 miles.

Honda 5w-20 and Motorcraft (Ford) 5w-20 have proven to be decent 5w-20 oils, but these are the ones that you purchase over the counter and come in labelled bottles. The bulk stuff your dealer uses can be any brand they wish to purchase, usually based on low cost criteria. I would only run these every 4000 miles.

I think Amsoil may have a 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil, its a good quality oil, pretty expensive much like Redline. It can run 10,000 miles easily.

Thats a summary of my recommeneded oils. Hope this helps. If you really like oil related info, check out www.bobistheoilguy.com , they have forums for gas engine oils, oil filters, and used oil analysis results. If you want to find out what works in your car, run some oil analysis tests and really find it if the oil and filter are working properly in your setup. I've done a couple, looking forward to testing some more in the near future.

Joey

raiyo
06-02-2003, 09:56 PM
I'm sticking with dealer oil and filter until 10k just to be on the save side. I guess by then Mobil1 should have 5w20.

Surprise
06-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Mobil 1 DOES NOT AND WILL NOT HAVE A 5w20!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

0w20 Yes, but not 5w2

KeNnYtAkEr
06-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Mobil1 Grades of Oil
0w-30
0w-40
5w-30
10w-30
15w-50

I heard thats mobil1 oils burn up quick in our engines. I think the best syn oil is the REDLINE 5w-30 with a honda filter. best combo. ;)

but costly...

Mobil1 if u don't wanna spend to much.

labelhunter
06-05-2003, 10:02 AM
Mobile 1 makes a 0w-20. I have it right here next to me. Im gonna try it next oil change. I have 0w-30 in right now because i couldnt find 0w-20 at the time i changed my oil.

BlackNRedSi
06-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by KeNnYtAkEr
Mobil1 Grades of Oil
0w-30
0w-40
5w-30
10w-30
15w-50

I heard thats mobil1 oils burn up quick in our engines. I think the best syn oil is the REDLINE 5w-30 with a honda filter. best combo. ;)

but costly...

Mobil1 if u don't wanna spend to much.

where do i get this REDLINE you speak of?! :)

it can go 10k miles w/o a oil change?! Shyte! im all on that one!

raiyo
06-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Redline is a good, I mean very good brand. Which the oil can hold up to 10k miles. The problem is, can the filter hold up that long. The Honda filter or most filters are meant to be change from 3-5k. So if you're running your Redline I don't think it'll hold up.

JSIR
06-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
Redline is a good, I mean very good brand. Which the oil can hold up to 10k miles. The problem is, can the filter hold up that long. The Honda filter or most filters are meant to be change from 3-5k. So if you're running your Redline I don't think it'll hold up.

I would feel safe with the oil filter lasting 10,000 miles if required as Honda actually lists the filter as being able to go 20,000 miles in the owner's manual. Under normal driving conditions they say you can change the filter every second change which is 20,000 miles under the normal maintenance schedule. I don't recommend doing that , but it shows that the filter can go pretty far, thus 10,000 miles is possible. Otherwise you could just swap out the oil filter part way through the oil interval if you are concerned about it.

raiyo
06-05-2003, 04:51 PM
But still, a filter running 10k miles? I just don't feel safe doing so. Maybe Honda wants our car to screw up sooner so they'll get more business in the future? I change my filter at 3k and oil at 1.5k. Running the filter till 10k-20k the filter might be to filled to even run smooth anymore. Just my thought.

Originally posted by JSIR

I would feel safe with the oil filter lasting 10,000 miles if required as Honda actually lists the filter as being able to go 20,000 miles in the owner's manual. Under normal driving conditions they say you can change the filter every second change which is 20,000 miles under the normal maintenance schedule. I don't recommend doing that , but it shows that the filter can go pretty far, thus 10,000 miles is possible. Otherwise you could just swap out the oil filter part way through the oil interval if you are concerned about it.

02civichatch
06-05-2003, 07:46 PM
i went to autozone today walked around picked up some mobilone synthetic and a mobil one filter and the dude checkin me out was like whoa buddy y the need for this? i said ive been told car will run better and its better for the engine in the long run and he said its exactly the same man dont buy it its a waste of money just go with usual castrol or normal mobil oil?? y would he tell me that i mean i know he isnt getting sales for it but i mean what is the difference????

raiyo
06-05-2003, 08:06 PM
This is what I think about motor oil. It is just as same as clothing. You can buy them at JCPenny, Gucci, D&G, KMart, Target, etc. There's all the same and does the same thing. Only difference is the brand. Oil is oil. That's why designers make so much. They say they are the best and if you wear/use me you'll look good. There are difference in materials, but really, does the same thing. Using cheaper brand oil? Just change oil more often. Word goes out Mobil1/Redline/Royal Purple is the best oil to use. Why? You can to change your oil later and not so often, 5k-10k, and it has a better blend inside that will lubricate your engine better. Cheap brands aren't as good, because of the name/blend. You get what you pay right? Well.....true. I'm not sure how much Mobil1 is, but lets say it cost like 5 dollar a quart. A cheaper brand will cost you $2.00. Mobil1 recommends you to change your oil every 5k, well.... you can change your cheaper brand oil 1-2 times within that 5k period to make everything up. To me the filter is more important than the oil. The cleaner the filter the better the oil flows through it. This goes the same with FRam filters. I heard Honda filters are made by FRam, but how come the price you pay at Honda cost more than you buying it at Kragen? It's the name.....

I'm currently running on Honda 5w20 oil and part# 15400-PLM-A01 honda filter. Will be using different oil once engine breaks in. Staying with OEM filter. Oil changing once every 1500-2000 miles (yes, it isn't nessessary to change it so often, i've heard)

THE END

Originally posted by 02civichatch
i went to autozone today walked around picked up some mobilone synthetic and a mobil one filter and the dude checkin me out was like whoa buddy y the need for this? i said ive been told car will run better and its better for the engine in the long run and he said its exactly the same man dont buy it its a waste of money just go with usual castrol or normal mobil oil?? y would he tell me that i mean i know he isnt getting sales for it but i mean what is the difference????

JSIR
06-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 02civichatch

I can tell you that the average mechanic out there knows very little about engine oil. Thus the guy working the autozone counter knows even less about oil, that guy would be the last person I would listen to about oil recommendations. Most people recommend oils based on limited information such as "I used this brand of oil and it sludged up my engine ", or "I've used this brand of oil for 40 years and my engines always ran well ". The people who really know about motor oil are guys that work with the stuff on a daily basis, such as guys in the oil analysis business or oil production business.

There are large differences in oil film strength and oil additive packages between different brands of oils. Unless you have oil samples analyzed on your vehicle you really don't know how your oil and filter are performing. You can gather a lot of information from some simple oil analysis data, and you can save some money in the long run by running oil to its full potential, whether it is an ultra-expensive oil or even a cheapo no name brand.

BlackNRedSi
06-05-2003, 08:33 PM
Yea man, I really don

KeNnYtAkEr
06-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Here u can order REDLINE products here

http://www.king-motorsports.com/brand.asp?brand=Red_Line_Oil

KeNnYtAkEr
06-06-2003, 12:48 PM
I dunno it's always good to have a well tuned car. Cus even if u ditch it in 3-4 years it'll have better value if it looks and runs smoothly. DOn't u think so?