PDA

View Full Version : Why imports dont get taken seriously. *LONG RANT*

02SiHB
06-02-2003, 10:53 AM
First of all let me say that I am a die hard imprt guy, but have much respect for anything that can pull fast 1.4 times or eat a road course alive. :D I've owned everything from Hondas to Volvos, to BMWs to Fords. I'll admit I am biased towards imports. The concept of taking a motor with a fairly small displacment, and pushing it to the extreme inspires me. Give me a Civic over a stang anyday.

Here's the thing though...

Example 1. I'm at the track, and a car takes the line... I hear a kid that has a Eclipse say, "HAH! My grandma has that Buick! Those things suck!" along with "F*ck american cars" etc...

Well the car takes a pass, and needless to say, I don't think his grandma has a Grand National that runs 11s. :eek: I don't even think he knows what a Grand National is. (for you newbs.. It's a 6 Cyl Turbo Buick made in the 80's... Pretty limited production.. a few thousand I think?)

Moving on.

Exapmle 2. I'm at a local "Speed Shop" browsing around. I, like many others have an infatuation with cars and occasionally browse local shops for steals and deals.

Then out of nowhere...

"BWAHAHAHAHA.. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A CRANK IS?!"

I felt so bad for the kid they were laughin' at. Probably 16 or 17... Then I found out he just got a car, and was interested in imports as opposed daddy's muscle cars. (I'm in the same boat... When you grow up with something, you tend to either LOVE IT or stray away from it).

So the kid is telling me he's interested in actually tuning cars and not flashy lights. But these "import shop" assholes were joking the shit out of him... wtf is that?

Talk about keeping someone away from the scene AND your business!

Anyways, that brings me to this rant. I mean what is wrong with people? I wondered for about 4 or 5 years why imports get zero respect. Well, the answer hit me today. Many "import enthusiast" have the worst attitude I've ever seen. Either they are ignorant to the fact that imports and domestics both have their perks or have their head stuck so far up their own ass because of their ego.

I'm not even going to blame rice this time around. Yeah, Altezzas, LED muffler tips, etc give imports a bad light.. But there is WAY more to the story.

I'm not gonna blame the fast and the furious either... Yeah, it's a HUGE fad over the last few years. But a movie cant make a person an asshole.

What about street racing? Hmmmm.. Nope, thats not it either. Street Racing has been going on for over 50 years... Long before the first honda motor was being used for an auto on US soil.

Back to the attitude. You would think that if someone has a nice setup, or a fast car.. They would be all about it.. instead you see someone hanging out in the dairy queen parking lot, and I pull up in my modest ep3 strike up a conversation and ask "How's that thing run"....... and I get "What's it to you?" or... "Why do you care?"

Hmmmm. This isn't commonplace of many of the domestic owners or cool import guys I've met... They're all about showing off their stuff... (not "showy" stuff either). I mean honestly... Why are you going to catch an attitude about what kinda of motor setup you have in a CRX? It's obviously a b-series or maybe an h-series... I mean you call it a sleeper, but its loud as shit and has an intercooler... NEWSFLASH: That's not a sleeper.. A 4 door galant VR-4 with no body mods or visible performance mods running 12.2 is a sleeper.

I'm sure many of you don't give a shit.. But why have you read this far. there is plenty more I could say, but Im sure you get the idea.

Anyways, please discuss. :) Anyone share my feelings?

EPHatchgirl
06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE with you...

I have come to the realization that there is a reason I get dirty looks when driving around in my new SI. Just as much as I feel like there are VW punks (you know, the ones who say my 1.8T owns ALL and I have a VW so I am cool!!- my fiance owned an '84 rabbit that could blow the doors off a viper ...he had it turboed:D i saw it and couldn't believe it... anyways..) I feel like more and more, there are Honda punks and snobs... they don't like talking to you about what they have, they get WAY to defensive- like "Why are you asking about MY car??" and they don't like seeing newer cars around, like the EP, cuz they don't want to appreciate anything different then what they got.

This all seems to stem from insecurity- not to get into the really REALLY big picture, but insecurity with one's car. We all bought EPs, but we all know RSX-S is faster (STOCK!!), so we deal with it and appreciate what we have and make it as nice as we can. It's as if these guys, punkasses as it were, think that by appreciating the domestics or newer Honda's or other imports they would be admitting that they made a bad choice or didn't have the best anymore...not just appreciating something that's nice for what it is...

Another issue, like you said, is ignorance. Maybe they don't know what makes those big muscle cars so much faster so much easier, so instead of trying to understand or appreciate it, they just bash it...

You gotta figure that maybe these guys started out nice, but turned into little bitches after dealing with other punks, instead of meeting true enthusiasts... you know?

Either way, all you can do, is keep going up to these guys, and shooting the shit... maybe they'll see that there are nice people out there that want to appreciate what they have, not pick on it, or say "mine's better"....
See! I can rant, too!!:D

TrippZ
06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
you seem angry, you need love. *hug*

but yeah i do agree with your views. however, some domestic owners arent any better... calling all cars "rice burners" makes them seem ignorant. just because hondas dont growl and dont come from the factory with 300 hp doesnt mean they're not good cars.

im probably the least biased person around. I love imports because they can be so flashy while being tasteful, however, i work DIRECTLY NEXT DOOR to a speed shop so i see some EXTREMELY awesome domestics. im absolutely inlove with Trans-Ams and nice 5.0 mustangs. then, on the other hand, i love the Acura Vigor, Ep's, 99-00 si's, and imports in general.

i just think that one bad apple spoiled the whole bunch, and the majority of people driving cars that are into "the scene" (no other way to put it, i guess) are ignorant to the opposite side.

::edit:: ill take some pics of the tasteful cars at the speed shop/stereo shop (check it out, it goes My dads stor, Performance shop, stereo/tint shop - AINT THAT BADASS?. from what i know is there, theres a WS-6 that one of the guy at the store owns, theres a new yellow cavalier with a body kit - VERY tasteful, trust me, and theres a ZR28 Camaro thats there, all black. youll see :)

SiR Medic
06-02-2003, 11:24 AM
I think that there is just a little "friendly competition" among car tuners.

To a domestic tuner, brought up on V8s, Japanese cars with their inline-4s make no sense... "why go through all that trouble of modding a 4-banger when you could get a Camaro that's strong right out of the box?"

Face it guys... If we are just after raw Horsepower, we are looking in the wrong place. Big V-8s pump out a lot of horsepower to start, and it's easy to get them to make more by using "brute force" mods like blowers, cams, and increasing displacement.

The trouble is... Big V8s come in big cars. In order to get a big car to handle well, you need to resort to more brute force: stiffer springs, wider tires etc.

Getting high performace out of a small 4-banger is more difficult. Since an iVTEC, DOHC, 16 valve, I4 is MUCH more efficient than a OHV V8, we have less options on how to increase our engine's power.

The good news is: That since 4-bangers can be found in much smaller, lighter cars; we can get noticable improvements with relatively modest power increases.

Example: Guido slaps on a intake, header, and exhaust on his '96 Camaro Z28. Let's say it gets him about 20hp on his 275hp 5.7L V8, for a total of 295. Given the Camaro's hefty 3500lbs, he feels nothing by the seat of the pants and his 1/4 mile times are about the same. Guido starts contemplating a supercharger.

Now compare that to the guy who puts a new I/H/E on his Si. Lets say that under the dyno he gets a whole extra 10hp. Add that to the 160hp for a total of 170. Pretty modest gain compared to the Z28. HOWEVER: 10 extra hp on a 2600lb car can make a noticable difference. The car feels quicker by the seat of the pants and a 1/4 mile run proves it.

I am MUCH more impressed with being able to get an extra 50hp out of a 2L 4 than I am with someone getting another 100hp out of a big V8

Handling is more of the same. The Camaro will always be heavy. And it will require some big rubber and beefy suspension bits to keep the shiny side up. The Si is much more nimble right out of the gate and some simple tire and suspension upgrades will make it dance without sacrificing ride quality.

l33t
06-02-2003, 11:41 AM
heh all a domestic needs is heads/cam and the car is badass

02SiHB
06-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mudokon
heh all a domestic needs is heads/cam and the car is badass

Please tell me you aren't serious.

Anyways about what was said above.. Yeah domestic guys can have an attitude too.. But I think ratio of import assholes to domestic assholes is about 3/2.

And believe me, I have the same beef with the redneck assholes who are just as ignorant/misinformed when it comes 4cyls.

I am taking the domestic thugs side on this one because like I said.. Domestic guys will show it off with pride. My friend has a WS6 Trans Am. He loves to show off his goodies:) But other people in my town with Civic hatches, Integras, 240's w/SR20DET's have a MAD attitude because they think their shit is top secret... They wont even talk about it. But then they post it all over web baords to brag how bad ass their setup is?

chubbychu
06-02-2003, 01:39 PM
I felt so bad for the kid they were laughin' at. Probably 16 or 17... Then I found out he just got a car, and was interested in imports as opposed daddy's muscle cars.

Aww this is sad...theres nothing more patethic than people making fun of people who want to learn! I was/am still one of those people...and i just hate it when people pick on me! arg!

cbecker333
06-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by EPHatchgirl
I TOTALLY AGREE with you...
This all seems to stem from insecurity- not to get into the really REALLY big picture, but insecurity with one's car.

excellent point! Sometimes I get defensive, and I hope nobody thinks its cuz I'm like this - I just want to present both sides when someone is a little too sure of themself.

Trippz you slut....heheh, j/k you're my boy Trippz

RMC22
06-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Hehe, you said altezzas and LEDs give imports a bad LIGHT *chuckle* :D

TrippZ
06-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cbecker333

excellent point! Sometimes I get defensive, and I hope nobody thinks its cuz I'm like this - I just want to present both sides when someone is a little too sure of themself.

Trippz you slut....heheh, j/k you're my boy Trippz

:( *sniff*:'(

tony speed
06-02-2003, 02:12 PM
i have to admit. those guys that tune big v8s and run fast drag times are really impressive. I'll watch those any day. But i think i've gotten more angry at american cars since i've gotten my ep cause i get unprovoked "rice burner" comments and "now the viper has a real engine. 8 liters. what does your car have? like 1.4?" I'm trully sick and tired of american people dissing my car and I didn't do anything to them. That being said, I've grown to hate modern mustangs and neons. I have crazy respect for people who do big block engine work though.

bmx269
06-02-2003, 02:20 PM
The car tuner community is made up with the same people as, lets say High School. There are the people who are friends with everyone, and get along with 99% of the community, import or domestic. These people are usually full of knowledge and are willing to help out the guy just starting out. These guys are not just tuners, they are the people that support the community.

Then there are the "punk" tuners, these guys tune their cars just to look different from the pack. They spend their time and money on things the majority of the tuners think is old school. These types usually like to be in their own crowd, not mixing with the rest.

Last but not least, there are the "jocks" of the tuners. These guys seam to be rich, they have all the toy for their cars, turbo charged Type R motors, rebuilt to the nuts, port and polished, $4,000.00 coilovers, etc. They are also very cool in their own minds, and seam to only talk to you if your car is up to the same caliber. These people are not very friendly to the small guy, they talk to their friends and balk at the car that doesn't have all the right stuff, "oh, those motegi wheels are heavy, buy new wheels." kind of shit. Not being kind enough to point out the benefits of a lighter wheel, and how it can make your ride that much better. They are a burden to us all. They are the ones that seam to have it all, but are still losers.

When a tuner starts out, they have an idea, or goal for their car. The idea could com from a picture, movie or a car that they saw. The person then saves his/her money for as long as it takes to buy the next part. The project may take years to complete, and ideas may take different directions as the tuner gets more involved in the process, but the same goal is still there, to make their car to the image they have in their head. It can be likened to art, Picaso or Rembrant were not told "that doesn't look the way it should", it looks the way THEY wanted it to look, and that is what really counts. So for us, wether we are starting out or finished, by being the friend to everyone, our knowledge and experience can help others to find their goals, and create their art piece.
Lets hope that we are never like the "jocks" of our world.

EPHatchgirl
06-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by bmx269
So for us, wether we are starting out or finished, by being the friend to everyone, our knowledge and experience can help others to find their goals, and create their art piece.
Lets hope that we are never like the "jocks" of our world.

Hellz yeah, well said.:D

Brettnyt
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Nice rants! Im still 16 and in the 'want to learn" stage... It tough! "Hey man, what kinda woofers you got there, they bump" "What is this, 20 questions?" all that sorta crap... it pisses me off.... PS, the 20 questions guy- im gunna key his car this summer.... dont worry, he has altezzas...

02TafWhtSi
06-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
PS, the 20 questions guy- im gunna key his car this summer.... dont worry, he has altezzas...

I really hope you're kidding.

gpt
06-02-2003, 09:00 PM
To me it's kinda like sport. Although we all enjoy the same sport, other people just support the other team.

I also think you get people who are truly interested in cars, and they will appreciate anything that is well done,whether it is import or domestic. Then you get people who just drive cars for the image, and they often do not even appreciate what they have got - I mean how many Porsche owners actually appreciate the car for what it is - a fine piece of engineering - and how many of them just drive a Porsche because of the image.

NeuroSi
06-02-2003, 09:14 PM
"or have their head stuck so far up their own ass because of their ego"

You mean like this?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ccic30/Si/headsup.jpg

Brettnyt
06-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi

I really hope you're kidding.

Yes, i am kidding, its their own property... their time and money, why should anyone fug it up... It would be like if someone stole my H or somethin

iR-VTEC2
06-02-2003, 09:29 PM
id say that the import scene gets TREMENDOUS amounts of respect.

Look at espn, espn2, the speed channel. They all have shows about imports

Look how many magazines are dedicated to imports

Look at how massive the aftermarket is for imports

Look how many people are import enthusiast

This site is a prime example of respect for imports. It is one of thousands of websites dedicated to just that.

The real question you must ask yourself is why are there a FEW assholes out there? I hope you realize that you'd just answered your own question :) They are assholes. There will always be assholes and just forget about them.

There are tons of "domestic" guys that are just as thrilled with the import scene as they are with their cars and vise versa. IT's about the love of the hobby. anti-ricers/anti-unclebens/anti-krauts, etc.....they are just sad people who cannot accept something that is totally the opposite of what they believe in. These people are no better than christian extremists or the KKK or radical muslims. They wont accept what others see as a good thing or something to be proud of. These people, in their own little world.....are always right. Of course....all of us here know better than that.

SiR Medic
06-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Even though Domestic tuners and import tuners go about things in different ways... I think we should respect each other because we are doing the same thing when it gets down to it.

Frankly, I love seeing a 'rodded-up Camaro with a chromed up supercharged engine and an exhaust note that sounds like the world is about to end.

I also love seeing an Integra that revs like racing bike and has enough electronic gizmos to power the space program.

Both camps have their share of dough-heads that give car customization a bad name.

Like the guy in a V6 auto Firebid with a HUGE Screaming Chicken on the hood, screw-on exhaust tip, HUGE foglights, NASCAR seat covers, a decal of Calvin pissing on the Ford symbol, naked-lady mudflaps, and (of course) stenciled intitials on the doors.

Or, on the import side, the guy in a MX-3 with a big 3 inch exhaust tip, neons, altezzas, a huge aluminum wing, a trunk full of subwoofers, and an assortment of decals all over the car.

(Both of these guys live in my town!):rolleyes:

Gasp23
06-03-2003, 06:13 AM
Pretty good thread guys!

I love cars and what one can do with it. I have a friend who loves european cars, he owns a BMW 328i and he loves all european cars. I on the other hand love Japanese cars, that's why I own an Si. The great thing about us is that we both apreciate each others car for what it is. We go to gathering and enjoy cars in general, we just have preferences that's all.

I think this whole thing is like women. Some like them blond, some brunette and others readheaded. Some like big boobs, others like nice legs and others like ass ;). So maybe you have a blonde and you want to get her bigger boobs, some people may think it looks slutty some will love the fact that your blond has biger boobs. So it all boils down to what YOU like. I respect everyone rides if it is what they like because that's what matters, but if you are the type of guy that does shit to your car because everyone does it, I'm sorry but you've already lost, the whole purpose is to make it your own so YOU like it, obviously the side effect is that others will like it.

rgGolf4
06-03-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned age. My thoughts are that a 16-17 year old kid is more likely to get a Civic or other "reliable" mode of transport, than a balls out Camaro or 'Stang. Why, because there parents buy it for them...they're cheap to buy and insure...perfect for a first car.

I think most of the bad attitude is merely immaturity. For instance, I visit 7thgen ever now and then, and the stuff they spew would make any car enthusiast go apeshit. "All an EX needs to beat a SI is I/H/E and good rubber". Sure. I guess its just misinformation and probably jealousy. Not that an Si is something to be jealous of, but i get jealous myself. My friend has a deposit down on an STI, that makes me pretty jealous. But its all good. I would never spend that amount of money on a car like that. Hopefully I can give it a run.

Also, I think pride has a lot to do with it. I think I speak for most people on this site that we pay for our cars...ourselves. It gives me much pride that I can afford to drive and mod my car. But, you go to the MKIV forum on the Vortex, and half of the GTIs are bought by someone's dad. I would take a free car I suppose, but I take great care and pride in what I own. Its just not the same if someone buys it for you.

So, with pride comes some "friendly" jabbing. You want to think that you have the dope shit, but in reality...its just a Civic. But, I love it.

I think I went on a tangent...hopefully you caught my drift

02SiHB
06-03-2003, 09:10 AM
*starts to unzip flamesuit*

Wow, I'm suprised that we call all agree on something.

I mean I'm not even that pissed about the rice element. I just think negative attitudes lead to people learning their stuff from pep-boys' "accessory isle"

Yes, there are many import drag events, etc. on ESPN now. But did anyone notice one of the correspondants on there is one of the losers that was on Hi-Rev tuners asking people how "phat" their rides are? Real dorky white guy. :rolleyes:

I'm glad there is interest in the sport, but if some kid sees that and thinks, wow that's awesome. How in the world are they supposed to learn anything if everyone is shitting on them?

TrippZ
06-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt

Yes, i am kidding, its their own property... their time and money, why should anyone fug it up... It would be like if someone stole my H or somethin

i swear to god i'd blow up if someone stole the H... the Si i can understand, but what the fuck, the H? what the hell, i would just go crazy

andy
06-03-2003, 09:20 AM
FWIW, Super2NRTV (or however it's spelled) seems to be better
than High Rev Tuners. I've only caught it once so far, but Sport
Compact Car is involved, and I really like that mag.

I think the car scene is like any other scene you'll encounter - be
it golfing, raves/parties, sports, etc. You'll always run into ignorance
and people who "just don't understand" - it's finding people that
do understand and do have open minds that makes it fun.

A local car club - ok, it's not really a club, we just hang out - here
has everything from 1g DSMs to 5.0 mustangs to engine swapped
Civic hatches. And since they're all about the go, not the show,
they don't really care what kind of car you're working with. About
the only thing they don't tolerate is people being dicks - sure,
some of the younger guys get picked on a little for not knowing
their stuff, but soon after, another guy will offer to help them
work on their car and not just leave them hanging out to dry.

People like this (and boards like this, by the way) are what makes
it worth experiencing - I just try to ignore all the ignorance and
go on my merry (and hopefully fast ;) ) way.

TrippZ
06-03-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by rgGolf4
I'm surprised no one has mentioned age. My thoughts are that a 16-17 year old kid is more likely to get a Civic or other "reliable" mode of transport, than a balls out Camaro or 'Stang. Why, because there parents buy it for them...they're cheap to buy and insure...perfect for a first car.

i hope you're kidding - im paying $660 a month, insurance and payments. cheap my fucking ass. :( its worth it tho :)

andy
06-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ

i hope you're kidding - im paying $660 a month, insurance and payments. cheap my fucking ass. :( its worth it tho :)

I think he meant older Civics. For example, an older Civic at 8K
would only be about $200 on a 4 year loan. Insurance would
probably be fairly cheap, as well. You're driving an '03 Si,
and if you financed, insurance is even higher. But you aren't
putting a primered lip and altezza's on your Civic, so it's all good. :p

Jpax
06-03-2003, 10:21 AM
Personally a lot of people have the hateorade towards other imports. I think a lot more people are trying to get involved into tuning, and they get there information from 3rd parties that know little or nothing about what they are trying to achieve so when it comes time to ask questions on how to tune or modify they get laughed at because there not understanding some of the issues that occur when you tune.

There are a lot of ways to help people that don

rgGolf4
06-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by andywrx

I think he meant older Civics. For example, an older Civic at 8K
would only be about $200 on a 4 year loan. Insurance would
probably be fairly cheap, as well. You're driving an '03 Si,
and if you financed, insurance is even higher. But you aren't
putting a primered lip and altezza's on your Civic, so it's all good. :p

Thats true, but I guess what I really meant is something like an early 90's Civic or Accord which can be had for fairly cheap, and in decent running condition. I'm guessing a 95 Civic goes for about 5k depending on condition...but don't take my word. A perfect first car.

My first car was an '84 Monte Carlo...so i didn't get into the scene for some time. My second car, a '88 Honda Accord was just old enough that I couldn't do much on very limited budget. I think if you have humble beginnings with cars, you appreciate what you have and what others have. When you're handed a brand new car at 16, there is no concept of value.

Keyser_Soze
06-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Hey wait a minute whats a crank???? Hold On...I hotught thats what this was all about!!! Now what is a damn crank???(J/k guys i cant believe no one has asked this yet.....:D

I myself am 17 and i dont have to much done to my car yet but over the summer i will begin to work on my car more and more and i feel bad for that kid b/c that would happen to me lol i know a bit about cars but not nearly as much as i want to know but over the summer i should gain some knowledge..... But hey take that kid under your wing and helpa brother out stear him in the right direction.....Thanks!

KickerSi
06-03-2003, 08:02 PM
I love this thread. I thought I was the only one that met assholes when I try to ask about their car. I have found that I can talk to the V8 guys about their cars over import guys because the V8 guys actually do have respect for the I4's plus they know what they are talking about. They do have respect, its a huge secret but let them drive your car and they will share it with you. :D. Of course my friends EG has the meanest sounding set of cams that the V8 guys cream thier pants from. I love Imports over V8s but the V8 guys have the intelligents over me, I use their thinking to build my cars. Impress a V8 guy, dont try to show boat how "fast" your car is b/c you'll get no respect and your ass handed to you, gain their respect and gain their knowledge. Then you will have a fast ass civic.

black87regal
06-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Example 1. I'm at the track, and a car takes the line... I hear a kid that has a Eclipse say, "HAH! My grandma has that Buick! Those things suck!" along with "F*ck american cars" etc...

Well the car takes a pass, and needless to say, I don't think his grandma has a Grand National that runs 11s. I don't even think he knows what a Grand National is. (for you newbs.. It's a 6 Cyl Turbo Buick made in the 80's... Pretty limited production.. a few thousand I think?)

your not talking about my grannys grand national are you? check out the pic. :D its actully my car but ive got some pictures of here around her some where wearing my fire suit and helmet:p

i did not bother to read all of the posts, ill read them later its 12:40 now. but the way i see it imports have not earned the respect of the car world yeat, performance wise there the new kids on the block. now dont flame me it is the truth just let me explain.

the most prime example are the flat head ford guys and the small block chevy guys. when the flat heads were king and the small block was the new kid on the block every body picked on you if you had a small block, over time they grew in to the "import vs domestic" sort of battle like were going threw now and with alittle more time the small block chevy won the battle. now its hard to say whos going to win this battle. im putting my money on the imports my self because gm keeps killing off the performance cars.

will the imports ever have the raw power that the old hemi cars and such used to have? i doubt it. but i also doubt that there wil be any more affordable cars from eather shore that could compete with some of the older power plants. i just think its a matter of time, maby 10 years or so and few more cars like tt supras before the majority of imports will be accepted. after all where was the performance market of imports 10 years ago?

SiR Medic
06-04-2003, 10:24 AM
The trouble with most of the big, domestic cars comes down to simple physics... They just do not change direction like a smaller car.

Now, in an out-and-out drag race, I'll go for the big V8 everytime... Like the saying goes, "there is no replacement for displacement"

However, a lot of the big Detroit iron, (and the Grand National was notorious for this) has a lot of trouble with handling. Stiff springs and wide rubber can only do so much, but when you really get down to it you are still trying to coax a 2 tonne slab of metal to change direction in a hurry.

Live-axle rear suspension does not help this equation. With a live-axle, all it takes is one little bump or pothole and the ass-end of the car will end up in the weeds... with the rest of the car behind it!

As a general rule, I find that import fans are much more concerned with the "total package" of a car's performance; acceleration, braking, handling, and power. Domestic tuners tend to focus strictly on power, with the other stuff as more of an afterthought.

tony speed
06-04-2003, 11:44 AM
[Like the saying goes, "there is no replacement for displacement"
[/B]

"there is no replacement for displacement" for the average person on a limited budget

BSEVEER
06-04-2003, 02:03 PM
Well said SiR Medic, the fastest drag cars are not 4 bangers.

Domestic tuners tend to focus strictly on power, with the other stuff as more of an afterthought.

ep1k
06-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I agree with you 100%, and I have been in the same situations you have stated 02SiHB! This might seem alittle extreme to some but in all cases its the truth on all counts.

The guy who was installing my JVC deck for me, owned a 86 RX-7. It was completely redone (dropped, custom paint (porsche purple) and had rebuilt motor it and Volk Racing 17s with Yokohama tires. Being the type of guy I am, I was looking at it in :p , it was parked right beside my ep3...... So I asked the guy how fast does the car do a 1/4? He replyed to me with a faster than any shit-vic... :( I ignored him afterwards and tryed to ask questions on how much whp he was getting... he simply said man its just faster than you car.. I said fine then and I left it like that.

tony speed
06-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ep1k
I agree with you 100%, and I have been in the same situations you have stated 02SiHB! This might seem alittle extreme to some but in all cases its the truth on all counts.

The guy who was installing my JVC deck for me, owned a 86 RX-7. It was completely redone (dropped, custom paint (porsche purple) and had rebuilt motor it and Volk Racing 17s with Yokohama tires. Being the type of guy I am, I was looking at it in :p , it was parked right beside my ep3...... So I asked the guy how fast does the car do a 1/4? He replyed to me with a faster than any shit-vic... :( I ignored him afterwards and tryed to ask questions on how much whp he was getting... he simply said man its just faster than you car.. I said fine then and I left it like that.

he's just saying that cause he knows you don't have anything serious in it.....ask him again after you heavily mod your car...hahaha......more than likely he's probably never taken it to the strip.

Production:
Engines: 1.3 rotary 146 bhp @ 6500 rpm, 138 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm. 1.3 rotary turbo 182 bhp @ 6500 rpm, 183 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.
Performance: 1.3/146: 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.5 seconds @ 87 mph. 1.3t/182: 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.4 seconds @ 93 mph.

NwSI
06-04-2003, 03:41 PM
First off let me say /RANT ON.

I have had: 1 Hybrid 92 B17A 91 HF CRX, 2 (Other) CRXs, 2 280Zs, 2 Conquests, a 300Zx, and a Nissan NX2000..
Now I roll an EP.

The scene has changed, just like the dance scene changed in the late 1990s. The import scene changed in the early 2000s.

Import Crowd Vs. Import Crowd.
IMHO, the kinda attitudes that 02sihb is talking about have been long in the making. When it was a bunch of guys trying to figure out how to get parts from california to make more power it was simpler. However when import performance went mainstream, and when Rice took hold. Thats when things started to change, having a fast car with SICK JDM parts was always it, however nowadays if you tell someone you have a 900 dollar mugen header, you just might not have that header too much longer.

Thats how Social ill has affected the import scene and the way people invovled in it treat each other. People are still enthusiastic about making power, about getting invovled in the rush. However the scene has been infected with fear of loss, think about it.. I think that all of you who have been in the game for a while can think of prolly 10-15 people you know personally who have been jacked. So talking about what you got is less and less open. You goto the track, and people have their hoods closed.. Used to people had their hoods up to show off their goods, and to walk around and check what the other guy was running. Grudge match used to be about one-up-manship not theft.

I think as import racing got more mainstream, and more people are trying to do "the right thing" to make power (B series swaps, turbo, SC). The whole scene suffers from people who are involved who fundamentally have the love, but didnt have to do the work to get it.

I agree with you 02sihb, and I think paxie added to it best, there is alot of people with haterade in their veins. Less and less people willing to show up and get greasy in your drive way, and over all a general attitude of superiority. Luckily almost all of us have been great at shaming "Rice" out of the community.. However the haterade is still flowing..

Now to deal with the Import Vs. Domestic thing.. I think the guy talking about the Flat heads, and the Small blocks hit on it. Personally I think its age old. I am the fountain of Haterade for mustang owners, I respect the fast ones, its good to know how they did it. However over all, I am a wellspring of haterade. I love the one offs though, like the SRT-4, and the Cyclone/Typhoon, and the GN/GNX. Its just those DAMN MUSTANG GUYS.. :P
At least I got to beat (Some of) em for a lil while in the HF :)

*Conspires to burn down the printing presses for Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine*

/RANT OFF

ep1k
06-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by tony speed

he's just saying that cause he knows you don't have anything serious in it.....ask him again after you heavily mod your car...hahaha......more than likely he's probably never taken it to the strip.

Production:
Engines: 1.3 rotary 146 bhp @ 6500 rpm, 138 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm. 1.3 rotary turbo 182 bhp @ 6500 rpm, 183 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.
Performance: 1.3/146: 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.5 seconds @ 87 mph. 1.3t/182: 0-60 in 6.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.4 seconds @ 93 mph.

Yeah I know, he's never at the autocross or 1/4 strip here.

SiR Medic
06-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ep1k

The guy who was installing my JVC deck for me, owned a 86 RX-7. It was completely redone (dropped, custom paint (porsche purple) and had rebuilt motor it and Volk Racing 17s with Yokohama tires. So I asked the guy how fast does the car do a 1/4? He replyed to me with a faster than any shit-vic... :( I ignored him afterwards and tryed to ask questions on how much whp he was getting... he simply said man its just faster than you car.. I said fine then and I left it like that.

Don't feel intimidated by this knob-gobbler.

I used to own a '87 RX-7... And unless he's got a CRAZY TURBO installed... He's full of BS.

The 2nd gen RX-7 was notoriously unreceptive to mods. Basically, all that can be done to it is intake and exhaust. The rotary engine is EXTREMELY fragile (probably why his was rebuilt, he's blown it at least once)

Even the turbo can't take a whole lot of upgrading, try and up the boost too much, and you will see one burnt rotary engine.

The RX-7 is a great handling car though, it's balance, low weight and rwd make it very predictable and nimble. Although the EP handles almost as well, the RX-7's rwd give it the edge.

Burgh
06-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Bottom line - People with elitist attitudes suck! Unfortunately, they're everywhere.

ssvr6
06-05-2003, 08:15 AM
I'll be frank...I'm an elitist when it comes to certain things. Call me a snob or whatever, but I'm not ashamed of it.

I consider myself fairly smart and I'm DEFINITELY an automotive (all vehicles) enthusiast. I try to have intelligent conversations with people and if I can't, I don't converse with them. If they're ignorant, then that's fine, they can learn and I'll help where I can. If they're stupid, they need to get the fuck away from me because I have no patience for stupid (add lazy in there and it's a recipie for disaster).

Case in point. I'm at the track. I pop my hood and guys are talking to me about my Si. Some guy walks up and asks some questions. I answer them. He then goes into story mode talking out of his ass about his friends Si blah, blah, blah... Then he starts asking me REALLY stupid questions. (Things that should be researched online first IMO.)

I'm now turned off of the conversation and I'm looking to bail.

Me personally, if I don't know something, I do research. I use that fucking FABULOUS search feature that we have on this site (and on others) and I educate myself. Some people just like to hear themselves talk and those are the ones that I blow off.

I'm sorry if that places me in the "jock" catagory, but it's how I've always been and always will be.

You can see from my posts on this site that I generally help when and where I can, but you also see some of the replies that I give the anus's as well.

Anyway, my point is that no matter what you're driving, some one is going to disrespect you. It's how you handle it that matters.

My favorite memory of me "handling" a situation like this was when a Mustang Cobra (98-ish) was lined up next to me at the track (98 GTi VR6 with N2O). He asked what I expected to run, I told him low 14's. He then laughed and said that his car (which was basically stock) should run mid 13's.

Well, we ran. I ran a 14.1 to his 14.3. We ran again, I ran a 13.9 to his 18 (missed a gear and gave up). One more time, I ran a 13.7 to his 14.1 and he gave up and fucking left.

That's how I plan to deal with people that disrespect me. :)

Steve

02SiHB
06-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Oh that's another thing that turns me off! Is when people talk about OTHER peoples cars when comparing it to my car. I don't give 2 shits about your cousins or best friends turbo Si. Unless he's right infront of me talking about his own car, fuck 'em.. I don't care.

I also hate walking into shops and they totally fucking ignore me when I pull up in a stock Si, write me off, and try to sell me tail lamps. That's fucked up.

But when we roll up in my friends Turbo'd car or Chevelle. They start trying to act like all these "tuners" buy shit from their shop, when in actuality. 90% of their business is rice.

Hah, shops always try to pass off ONE nice car that has bought something insignificant, as a loyal long time customer... Assholes.

tony speed
06-05-2003, 12:35 PM
while we're busy talking about bad experiences. today I had a GOOD experience. I took my car to get the wheels aligned cause the toe was off. The guy who owns the place does amateur drag racing with big block cars and won 8 competitions last year, six of them in a row. So I was looking at all his drag car and fast american big block car pictures. When he was done, he tells me to go get some good performance parts and bring it back to the shop so they can work on the car for me....and here i was expecting a ricer comment. :D

02NJHondaep3
06-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Its the same thing with everythin. Either ignorant people ruin things or the media does. One time i raced this 5.0 and he whopped me so then we pulled into a white castle. ( I kno it was the only thing open) We exchanged stories and it turns out he was on an auto troubleshooting team in my high school and he was like i respect imports as long as people aren't dicks about them. Then he admired my shifter and my car and he let me look at his car. The clutch was horrible. He felt mine and thought it was gonna break. I havent seem him again but it was cool to meet a random person like that and juss talk about a smiliar interest. I ran into someone on this board who works at an Acura near me. Our cars are an expression of ourselves. I guess people don't like altezzas because they're not original.(and fugly)

Blue03CivicSi
06-05-2003, 09:21 PM
I, personally, am neutral in the import-domestic war, because I own both. I am not bragging, so don't think I am (I got flamed in another forum for talking about both of my cars). Anyway, I have my '03 Si, and a 2002 Mustang GT. I have to tell you, both cars have their advantages. I mean, the Mustang obviously has more torque and horsepower, but my Si could outhandle my Mustang any day! I get a lot of crap from the domestic guys, because my Si doesn't have a lot of horsepower. That's not why I bought it. I bought it because I've always wanted a Civic, it's the top-of-the-line Civic in the US, and it has an incredible amount of aftermarket support. For the price, I could have bought another domestic sports car, but what's the point? I gave $20k for my Si, and $22k for my GT, but I have to say that the Si was worth every penny. I love both cars equally. I like the Si's handling characteristics, the interior is the best I've seen, I like the high-strung sound of a four-cylinder screaming at 7k, and I just love imports (I used to have an '88 Mazda RX-7...that car is the reason I bought my Si). I love the Mustang as well. It has brute power, that big muscle-car feel, and awesome good looks. I just wish people would stop it with the import-domestic war. I get it twice as bad, though, especially from all the Chevy guys. The Chevy guys tell me to get a real car whether I'm talking 'bout my Si or my 'stang. Oh well. I don't listen to 'em most of the time. When my 'stang outruns 'em on the dragstrip and my Si is still on the road long after their Camaros are hauled to the junkyard, I'll just laugh and tell 'em to get a real car. :D

CIVICBOOST
07-05-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm whole heartedly agree with you people, there seems to be a whole lot of Import enthusiast assholes out there even more so than the domestic guys. I'm from Palmdale CA and alot of sanctioned import drag racing goes on here (and illegal) but I've noticed there are alot of import guys and girls up here in the desert that arent really shitty to one another. Import or Domestic here does not matter its all about the tuning and getting that little extra something from a mod. My dad has been a Mopar man for as long as I can remember and used to talk smack about Imports all the time until I finally went against the grain and bought my first car my 94 Civic LX. He clowned me for awhile because I didnt buy domestic but once I started adding parts and modding the hell out of it I slowely started to notice a little respect. After countless talks about power to weight ratios and tuning I turned him, when I was finally finished with my LX my dad had a totally different outlook to Imports he would brag to his domestic friends about how cool his sons car looks and how quick it is. He now passes on knowledge of Import tuning to his buddies and I feel that its better that way for everyone to have respect towards each other. I was at the bank the other day depositing my check, when a guy in a Turbo 99 Civic Si all decked out rolled down his window checked out what Ive done so far and said Nice Si keep up the good work, I was pretty shocked and was expecting some shit but replied thanks man so I guess not everyone (small percentage) is a asshole. You fellow Ep's are some good people and we need more of you in the import scene thats a fact

SinisterCivicSi
07-05-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CIVICBOOST
I was at the bank the other day depositing my check, when a guy in a Turbo 99 Civic Si all decked out rolled down his window checked out what Ive done so far and said Nice Si keep up the good work, I was pretty shocked and was expecting some shit but replied thanks man so I guess not everyone (small percentage) is a asshole. You fellow Ep's are some good people and we need more of you in the import scene thats a fact

thats an awsome feelin....i had 2 guys give me thumbs up one time rollin down the road.....they were in an american truck....i think it was a dodge.....that was a total shocker.

i am quick to give props to someone ......i dont like to hate unless you deserve it. so many ppl nowadays wanna diss each other cause they are jealous.......why ??

if i am hatin i will admit it.....and compliment them also... i have no probs giving props to those who deserve it. ;)