PDA

View Full Version : Weird Clicking noise when pressing the Clutch??

potator
06-02-2003, 08:29 PM
I know some people have posted about this issue, but I haven't found a good response to them in the past. I've tried searching and haven't come up with anything good. I apologize if there already is a thread with a complete solution for this. If so, please just post the link. Now back to the topic. Does anyone know what causes the clutch to make that weird clicking sound when pressing it down? I noticed it happens more when my car has been in hot temperature for a while. Like when I start my car from the parking lot which was very hot, I can feel it well. It sometimes goes away when it's cold, or in the morning when I'm starting my car from the garage. But it's still usually there, but just isn't as loud/noticeable. Is there any known solution for this that I might be able to do myself? Or is it a serious problem that I will need to take it to the dealer for? Any suggestions/advices welcome. Thank you in advace.

staticflo
06-02-2003, 08:51 PM
mine made a slight clicking sound just as i started to press it before and i figured it was something that just needed some grease or something like a spring etc. but it has gone away and i ahve not heard it for a good month now so i wouldnt even really worry about it, even tho i know how you feel when mine did it it drove me crazy!

SiNi$t3R
06-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Its happened to me sometimes its the gas that squeeks.

02SilverSiHB
06-02-2003, 09:11 PM
yeah, mine is still clicking today. It's been doing that for about 10,000 miles now. I left for about 3 months, come back to my car and it didn't do it for about 2 hours, then came back and does it all day everyday.

I saw one thread where the guy took it to the dealer and it was something odd, they had to take his tranny apart and shit! I can't see it being that bad. I can actually feel the click on the pedal when I press the clutch. I notice that if I don't come all the way up and then press down again, that it doesn't do it.

I'm hoping it's just something in the way. Sometime this week, I'm going to get a friend to press the pedal for me while I look at the lines to see what the hell it is.

ep3
06-02-2003, 09:28 PM
does it happen all the time when you step on the clutch??? or is it just when you first use it??? i hear a clicking sound on mine too, but it's mostly when i first use it in the morning.

iR-VTEC2
06-02-2003, 09:37 PM
that shit is happening to me too!! i thought it was just some kind of spring dampening effect?

dustinhurley
06-02-2003, 10:16 PM
I've got it too. Mostly in first gear. I can hear and feel it. My gas pedal chirps sometimes too.

brendanSI
06-02-2003, 11:11 PM
this is gonna sound stupid...but i had that problem untill tonite...next time you shift check your right knee when it comes off the gas...turns out my click was my keys:D sounds stupid but hey...:rolleyes:

cbecker333
06-02-2003, 11:19 PM
I took it to the dealer for this problem and they fixed it. That was at about 5,000 miles i think, and they replaced the "clutch assembly" to fix it. They also put some special lube on there to keep it from clicking. Didn't help though, clicking is back now -comes and goes. I'm not giving up the car for any more days until I hear something new about it. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt nothin, long as you can deal with the click.

cbecker333
06-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by brendanSI
this is gonna sound stupid...but i had that problem untill tonite...next time you shift check your right knee when it comes off the gas...turns out my click was my keys:D sounds stupid but hey...:rolleyes:

The click in the clutch pedal can definitely be felt by the foot on the pedal, thats the difference that proves it is or isnt the keys. Sometimes I mistake the keys for being the clutch pedal click, but I know for sure when my foot feels it.

Its a quirk that I can deal with, and when launching hard or shifting at high RPM I'm too buzzed to even notice.

dw735
06-03-2003, 01:34 AM
i had mutliple creaking when depressing the clutch. Had my clutch master cylinder replaced and went away for good. I put a post on here a while ago and the lubing did not do anything.

02SilverSiHB
06-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

The click in the clutch pedal can definitely be felt by the foot on the pedal, thats the difference that proves it is or isnt the keys. Sometimes I mistake the keys for being the clutch pedal click, but I know for sure when my foot feels it.

Its a quirk that I can deal with, and when launching hard or shifting at high RPM I'm too buzzed to even notice.
plus I use my left foot to use the clutch hahahahaa :D not the right.

Definitely the clutch assembly doing it for me. I think all of us should at least go to the dealer once, this way Honda will see how many of us are going and get a recall fix for this.

sonic imperial
06-03-2003, 07:20 AM
I posted a thread on this a few weeks ago. They attempted to fix mine with a new clutch spring and bushing. Problem went away for a week but has since returned, but only when it's hot outside, such as when I leave work each day and the car has heated up alot inside. It tends to go away as I drive it and run the A/C to cool it down. But yes, it is still there, irritates me because I can feel it and doesn't make the pedal as smooth as it should be.

NemesisITR
06-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Mine is doing the same also. It reminds me of when my throw-out bearing went out on my ITR.

Im going to take it in after I get back from Florida.

bigcase
06-04-2003, 09:00 AM
yeah, mine does the same friggin thing. im not sweatin it though, i only notice it when starting from a stop. as long as the pedal doesnt drop out from underneath my dash, im cool. you guys post if you find an easy solution.

brendanSI
06-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by brendanSI

sry for the retarded post, from now on im loggin off... that was my friend, we had a bet on what the noise was and he hates being proved wrong, oh yeah i got my 50 bucks:D

so please disregard that statment

dw735
06-04-2003, 01:22 PM
hey guys, if it doesnt hurt, tell the dealer to check out the master clutch cylinder, becasue they spent like 5 hours trying to lube , this and that, then they tell me its the clutch master. no more noises or creaking.

02SilverSiHB
06-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by dw735
hey guys, if it doesnt hurt, tell the dealer to check out the master clutch cylinder, becasue they spent like 5 hours trying to lube , this and that, then they tell me its the clutch master. no more noises or creaking.
thanks man!

ConeCrazy02
06-05-2003, 09:58 PM
clicking sound = engagement point

cbecker333
06-05-2003, 10:38 PM
mmmm...no. Thats a different click I think. This click gets extra crappy when its warm sometimes and you can feel it in your foot - so much that it is often distracting.

ep3
06-08-2003, 12:56 PM
when you say clicking sound, is that also the creaking sound??? i notice i got a creaking sound as i step on the clutch. is that what you guys are talking about??? if not, is this something i should be worried about also???

dw735
06-08-2003, 01:49 PM
ep3.... i had the creaking sound and it was the master cylinder. but wasnt sure if this post was talking about the creaking or clicking so i was just looking out for them. go to your dealer and ask them to fix it under warranty

David K.
06-08-2003, 10:39 PM
I had this problem forever. Took it to the dealer to get it fixed and they replaced the clutch pedal assembly. Problem gone for about a week, but now it's doing it again, just as bad as ever.

sonic imperial
06-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by David K.
I had this problem forever. Took it to the dealer to get it fixed and they replaced the clutch pedal assembly. Problem gone for about a week, but now it's doing it again, just as bad as ever.

Same here.

cbecker333
06-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by David K.

Maybe I already stated this, but the EXACT SAME thing happened to me. The only difference is that the click is not always there now, but it comes and goes on a daily basis. Wheres the recall @? This is obviously a design flaw and dealers are just wasting labor and numerous clutch assembly's for a quick fix that isn't even really worth applying.

sonic imperial
06-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Yes, we need a recall with a permanent solution, not a 1-week temp fix. That's aggravating and a waste of my time and theirs. Maybe they don't know how to fix it?? Surely they can come up with something, it can't be rocket science to fix a clutch pedal.

cbecker333
07-14-2003, 08:17 AM
I took the EP in for service on this clicking clutch thing and they have ordered a new clutch master cylinder...which I have to get installed in 2 weeks. I've never heard of a part taking that long to ship, but oh well....

I'm pretty sure they still don't know how to fix it right, because last time they replaced "clutch assembly" and that fixed it only temporarily. Now they're replacing something totally different to fix the same problem?

:rolleyes:

Tenacious G
07-14-2003, 11:02 AM
i just recently have had this problem. i get two distinct clicks/creaking noises when i first start pushing in the clutch pedal.

is it decided this definately is a clutch master cylinder problem or a bushing like BlasTech reported in this thread?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=188111#post188111

paralysis
07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
i get two distinct clicks/creaking noises when i first start pushing in the clutch pedal.

Same here and it just started doing this.. not all the time unless I just don't notice it all the time...

sonic imperial
07-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Interesting, they are ordering the clutch master cylinder for me too, plus a new spring and bushing. The Honda techs who my techs call for assistance said to replace this and they aren't real sure. I've already had the bushing and spring replaced and it only worked good for a week. This sucks. I hope the cmc will work for a little bit longer.

EP33
07-14-2003, 11:53 AM
I am taking my car to Penske to have them look at it. It only happens when my cars get hot. Recently it's been bout 100+ during the day. I jump in my car push the clutch (engine off) creak creak. Almost as if something is "off track."

sonic imperial
07-14-2003, 12:22 PM
It's only when the temp is warm to hot outside with my car also, which is most of the time living in the south, but back in the spring I could drive to work on cool mornings with no problem but after work (afternoon) once the temp was warmed up it would click all the way home.

Dunrick
07-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Mine seems to do it when I just pull out of a parking lot. So not when my car is warmed up. It sounds like the car is running over a crunchy leaf....I seriously thought thats what it was. Then I saw these threads. I don't think its anything serious...Somebody should just make a nice aftermarket clutch. That should fix it!

sonic imperial
07-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Forgot to mention, I can run the A/C full blast for a while and cool the inside of the car off enough that the clicking will go away also, but you gotta run it continuously for about 20-30 minutes and chill the car down. The minute you shut it off and the air warms back up, clicking starts again.

jandetuning
07-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Check the color of the fluid in the clutch reservoir. Mine has been doing it for a while now, and my fluid is as black as it can get. It should be about the color of beer. It is just DOT 3 brake fluid. I think there is something wrong with the clutch slave or master cylinder.