PDA

View Full Version : Tein S-Tech - Bump Rubber / Bump Stop...

raiyo
06-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Does the bumper rubber/stop need to be cut? Anyone cut or didn't cut theres? How's your ride? Instruction recommends you to cut 0.6in if I'm not wrong.

Also, can anyone explain to me what is the benefit on cutting the bump stop/rubber?

NeuroSi
06-02-2003, 10:03 PM
When I first installed my Tein S-Tech springs, I cut the back neoprene bumpstops in half and then proceeded to forget about the fronts. The car bottomed really easy without the cut. When I redid the front, I cut from the top of the bumpstop to just below the first ring and that seemed to do the job.

raiyo
06-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Man, what kind of instructions is Tein giving? Now you gotta cut the front too?

EP33
06-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Disa what I did, less than .6" cut from rear, and moved to the front. Experimental but I like it.

RockEP_SS**
06-03-2003, 01:22 PM
If I remember correctly, we didn't cut my bump stops at all...or did we??? Hmmm, just PM Suk02Si or BlackJDMEP they'll know.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

TezGari
06-03-2003, 06:19 PM
i didnt cut my bump stops at all in the fron or rear but, my right front suspension is clicking everytime i trun the wheel, 360 degrees! WHy? ALso the TEINs handle nice. The whole set up seems sweeet! I took pics also. Ill post later.

Do i have to cut the bump stops?

NeuroSi
06-03-2003, 10:11 PM
If you live where the roads are smooth like a babies ass, maybe you don't. This is Michigan, here, Land of Potholes. I believe it was Chuck that told me that the bump stops had to be cut. I found out the hard way by not doing it the first time that he was correct.

raiyo
06-03-2003, 10:37 PM
I just PM Suk02si and he said he didn't cut the stops. So how's the ride Rocky? Do you buttom out often? That's the thing that is bothering me the most. Getting mines installed this Thursday. Wouldn't want to install them without cutting and regret. To much trouble taking it back out again. As for cost, it's free, doing it at my friend's body shop. hehehe

Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
If I remember correctly, we didn't cut my bump stops at all...or did we??? Hmmm, just PM Suk02Si or BlackJDMEP they'll know.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

TezGari
06-04-2003, 07:12 PM
When i turn my steering wheel to the left (fully) and right (fully) my right (front) suspension makes clicking sounds...The front left use to make it too...But then it stoped. WHat could make my suspenion from clanking light that? I think it maybe is the greese. We might need more. Also the springs (jerk and then move) when i turn the steering wheel. Why does the right sidegive problems? I need help! I dont think it has to do with bump stops because the left suspension is goood!

EP33
06-05-2003, 06:54 AM
Most of these marks are factory. I added the one on the top. You can't see the arrows on this pic but they are there. Hope it helps.

TezGari
06-05-2003, 12:24 PM
EP33,

thanks alot man, i really like this info!!! Its good news! I will try it out and see if it works (its raining). Also i will buy some suspension greese i am going to get, Valvoline Syenthetic gresse (gold package).

I did the right suspension last (first was the left). I will try it out and align the dots and see if it works later.

EP33 thanks alot for the info! This is what makes me like EPHatch.com so much! thanks!

raiyo
06-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Here is the amount of bump stop/rubber I cut out. Cutting some is better than none. Better safe than sorry right? Quite a few of my friends said I should cut around 1/3 of the bump.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid64/p14d6e74e644117a0661f112b8ca52e41/fbfe7115.jpg

check out my sig for my rate/review on tein s-tech springs

TezGari
06-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Why should we cut the bump stops? The clicking sound is going away but it seems to be their not as much... Is the reason for cutting the bump stops so that we dont bottom out?

thanks!

cryptic02si
06-07-2003, 01:33 AM
I installed mine without cutting the bumpstops. Super quiet ride, no bottoming out, no creaks or groans at all. I love them. Stiffness feels alot like stock to me. I also used synthetic grease on the tops of mine. If I have any problems down the road I'll update.

raiyo
06-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I believe so. After cutting the bump stops to the right amount, you're be giving it more space to traval up and down so you'll bottom out less often.

For for bottoming out. geez.... for those who doesn't buttom out even without cutting the bumpstops, LUCKY YOU. The road in the area I live sucks big time. Tons of pot holes. For hitting small stuff I don't buttom out. Goverment should fix the damn things when they are taxing me like crazy.

Originally posted by trinispeed
Is the reason for cutting the bump stops so that we dont bottom out?

thanks!

cryptic02si
06-08-2003, 09:24 PM
I live in Pa. PA = lots of rain and snow, and last I checked, the worst rated highways in the nation! I've not hit a bump yet that has bottomed me out. Granted, I do my damndest to avoid holes in the road, but even the unavoidable ones have caused no problems.

klik
06-09-2003, 10:34 AM
same here didnt have any problem yet after installing the teins