PDA

View Full Version : Is the power plug in my center console switched on/off with the car?

cbecker333
06-03-2003, 07:12 AM
I'm adding an LED behind the center console (pics here later of my customization - I don't want to talk about it - the idea will speak for itself). I want to make sure that if I piggy-back a LED off the power connection for the cigarette lighter that it will not always be on. I'm also wondering if thats the best place to get LED power from....any suggestions are appreciated.

I can't wait to show you guys this shit...so excited....

BlasTech
06-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Yes, the 12v plug switches off when you turn the car off.

If you want something that comes on only when the driving lights are on, you can use the hazard lights button for power, too.

There are a few posts and how-to's here on doing this, maybe even a video.

BlasTech
06-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Well, it looks like some of the earlier posts are gone. But one I did is still there: http://66.36.161.224/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7195

Its got some info on removing the shifter console.

Once in there, the hazard switch comes out easy, and Im pretty sure (from memory) the red wire going into it is the "light" that you will use for power in if you want the LEDs to come on when you hit your lights.

The good place to ground is right below on the black wire going into the 12v accessory plug. Be careful to keep the wires clear of the shifter and its links and cables.

If you want the LEDs to run always when the car is on, just use the 12v accessory red for power.

Depending on what LED you get you may need a resistor for it to work. I got mine at RadioShack for $3 and it was 12v-ready. They have all colors available that way, and it says 12v dc on thepackage.

Either way, test it before you put it all back together.

I hope this helps.

cbecker333
06-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info, blastech. My console is back together now and I'm not yet using the LEDs in my mod, but I'm gonna add those in some day when I feel more ambitious ;)

I'll have some pics of my new "co-pilot" this weekend.

-Chris