PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Help!!!

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 04:47 PM
I got my TB bored out today.... and put it back on.... the idle was off so I was adjusting the TPS and could seem to get the idle to smooth out.... after a few minutes of this the car finally died.... now I can't get it to start no matter where I put the sensor.... it turns over but NOTHING....... It almost sounded like it was missing while it was running... the exhaust didn't sound constant at all.... a little put here and a putt there.... please help!!!!

02SilverSiHB
06-06-2003, 05:16 PM
when you say you adjusted the tps, did you adjust it to the correct setting. I think myeverlovinsir has a post where he installed his and he had to resest the tps back to the stock setting, can't remember the ohms it was at.

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Ok I don't need any idiot comments right now... but what I did was hook the coolant up wrong or something because there's coolant in tthe throttle body..... I've takin the plugs out and tried to pump it.... but they look pretty fouled up.... I need a substitute I can buy at Autozone..... a plug I mean.... thanks

myeverlovinsir
06-06-2003, 06:52 PM
hth - TB mod (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6068)

Not sure about the plugs you speak of. The coolant should not effect idle, unless you are overheating, check your gauges.
Um, if you fudged up the tps setting, then you will have a tricky time lining it up again, I know from experience that this sucker is
very tempermental. You can use my settings if you get that far.
But am affraid that each tps has a nominal setting from stock, and
they are a bit different from each car. Mine are just what I got, and are not intended as guidelines.
Read through the post and try as best you can.

The coolant connections are pretty straight forward. Top up your
coolant level if you find it's low. Good luck. let us know how it goes.

myeverlovinsir. ;)

JSIR
06-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Glen sounds like he ingested some coolant into the intake system, hope there wasn't any damage to the engine. I guess all you can do is let it dry out and clean things up as best as possible.

The TPS sensor can be set to approximately 900 ohms resistance, should be a safe setting for the average TB , though there is some variation. Use a multimeter to set it while off the car.

Once you get things running again do the idle learn procedure as your engine will want to re-learn the idle for the new mod - TB.

good luck !

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 07:28 PM
What is the idle learn procedure?????? I ended up doing the coolant bypass and now my idle jumps between one and 2k.... so if you guys can help... please doo.... thanks

JSIR
06-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by c0mf0rt
What is the idle learn procedure?????? I ended up doing the coolant bypass and now my idle jumps between one and 2k.... so if you guys can help... please doo.... thanks

basically pull out the negative battery cable for about 30 seconds, put it back on. Start the car without touching the gas pedal. Let it idle for 5 minutes without touching the gas, then shut the car off after 5 minutes and the car is warmed up. Your idle should set itself at that point.

But if you've ingested coolant into the engine from your first problem, that may take a while to correct itself.

Secondly, check all your vacuum line connections there may be something that isn't connected properly causing the fluctuating idle.

Lastly, have you done the Hondata heat shield upgraded as well ?. If so check your intake manifold for cracks. Some guys who have done the gasket upgrade have cracked their manifold due to overtightening and they also get the 1-2k idle fluctuation. sounds very similar. If you have not done the hondata gasket upgrade then disregard this last suggestion.

Few things to check. good luck.

Joey

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 07:38 PM
One other thing..... since coolant got into all that.... I'm going to swap the plugs.... get a fuel system cleaner.... and I was wondering do you guys think I would need to change the oil???? I mean I know technically it shouldn't mix but....... dunno.... whaddayou guys think????

myeverlovinsir
06-06-2003, 07:39 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I remember my Idle jumping violently when I had my PCV hose removed on the left side of the
intake manifold. Check that as well to make sure it's still hooked up. The idle will also jump when the tps is not set correctly. I don't think this should be an issue with you. The stock TB has these peened on bolts on the tps, so you cannot make adjustments to the tps. I had to have mine slotted to reset the position. I wonder if you are getting engine lights? If you are and
everything else is good, then I recommend taking it in for a check.

If you could post a pic of your engine area/TB, that may help.

myeverlovinsir.;)

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 07:41 PM
It's not cracked.... but I did the same mod on my old '95 EX and the same thing happened with it.... I just looped the coolant back on itself and left the throttle body out ..... when I do that I get a jump in the idle.... between 1 and 2k...... I know someone else on here did that mod.... I'm wondering if they had the same problem...

JSIR
06-06-2003, 07:47 PM
It's not cracked.... but I did the same mod on my old '95 EX and the same thing happened with it.... I just looped the coolant back on itself and left the throttle body out ..... when I do that I get a jump in the idle.... between 1 and 2k...... I know someone else on here did that mod.... I'm wondering if they had the same problem...

I did the coolant bypass mod myself, been running it for 3 months now and never had an idle problem, even in the dead of winter which surprised me. So still sounds like a vacuum or air leak in the intake system. If you've ingested coolant I would change the oil to be on the safe side, cause you don't know how much got into the combustion chamber. It's your call though.

BTW, did you check all your connectors around the TB to make sure they are properly connected. There is one that goes to the base of the TB for the idle control valve, if that is loose it could cause an idle problem I would think, its hard to see and could be missed.
Just throwing more ideas at you.

Joey

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Pretty sure that's hooked up good... I suppose you mean the connection with the rubber boot on it..... Hey when you did the coolant bypass did you plug that connections on the throttle body or just leave them open????

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok one more post about the idle..... Here's what happens.... I start the car................ and it idles fine.... for a few minutes.... maybe five.... and then it just jumps up and down up and down... from about 1k to 2k.... and continues for a good long while....

JSIR
06-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Ok one more post about the idle..... Here's what happens.... I start the car................ and it idles fine.... for a few minutes.... maybe five.... and then it just jumps up and down up and down... from about 1k to 2k.... and continues for a good long while....

I plugged up the coolant openings on the TB just to keep dust and dirt from getting into the idle control valve.

Those are strange symptoms you are having, just sounds like some sort of air leak or improper connection though. no other suggestions. hope you find the problem though as it can be frustrating.

Steve02Si
06-06-2003, 09:01 PM
I've never had the TB off of a K series so I dont know if this helps, but once on my DSM I had the TB off and when I put the gasket on, I put it backwards. It'll work both ways except there's a small passage that lets air through the wrong place and it barely idled, seemed like a bad vaccuum leak.

c0mf0rt
06-06-2003, 09:05 PM
I appreciate the help but the gasket never came off... it's stuck on there pretty good.... for the guys who did the coolant bypass.... you guys just removed one of the hoses and ran one to the other port on the engine right???? like taking the hose that's near the large coolant hose off.... and connecting the other end on the other hose in that place right???? basically eliminating one hose and making the other just run from the connection for itself to the connection for the other.....

JSIR
06-07-2003, 06:47 AM
I appreciate the help but the gasket never came off... it's stuck on there pretty good.... for the guys who did the coolant bypass.... you guys just removed one of the hoses and ran one to the other port on the engine right???? like taking the hose that's near the large coolant hose off.... and connecting the other end on the other hose in that place right???? basically eliminating one hose and making the other just run from the connection for itself to the connection for the other.....

yup.

c0mf0rt
06-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Damn this is killin me.... I went this morning and got the oil change and the fuel system cleaned/flushed from the throttle body in..... I got covers for the coolant nipples under the throttle body..... and the damn idle is still jumpin between one and 2k.... It runs around 1800 for the cold start.... but it's like as soon as it has warmed and goes to a normal idle.... the tach jumps between one and 2k...

Steve02Si
06-07-2003, 07:14 AM
have you tried reconnecting your coolant lines to see if this fixes it?

who bored the TB? did they/you put a bigger throttle blade in to compensate?

c0mf0rt
06-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Yeah they replaced the throttle plate.... and I haven't tried with the coolant lines again.... only because I'm afraid of getting coolant in the block now.... I don't know how it got in there anyway?????? Doesn't make since..... plus other people have done the mod and they don't have the same problem......soooooooooooo..... still dunnoo

c0mf0rt
06-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Three more hints..... when starting it takes a little longer to turn over..... when I turn on the A/C the idle seems to smooth out at about 1600.... and when I'm driving if I let off the gas it jerks pretty bad.... same when I hit the gas if I don't lay into it... it jerks bad.... like down shifting kinda...but really quick

Steve02Si
06-07-2003, 02:16 PM
any chance they bored right into the passage where the coolant runs?

myeverlovinsir
06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
any chance they bored right into the passage where the coolant runs?

Good point! The water jacket is close enough that this could happen. You should probably run the car without the intake and
see whats going on in there. Check the seal of the tb plate also.
I was also wondering if possibly the tps was moved. Check to
see how loose it is, or if it is loose. The guys who did your TB work
should be held responsible. just a thought.

c0mf0rt
06-08-2003, 05:29 PM
HERE IS THE ANSWER!!!!!!!

First off to all of those who tried to help.... thankyou very much

I took the TB off today myself and looked over things.... the PUD left a gasket off.... the one that is for the sensor on the bottom.... I put some RTV in there re-adjusted the TPS and WOOOHOOOO all good.....

thanks again fellas..

myeverlovinsir
06-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Good to hear!:D

JSIR
06-08-2003, 05:36 PM
what a PIA for such a simple thing, makes sense though , figured it was some sort of connection/vacuum leak, but sometimes you can run ragged trying to find it.

glad you got it resolved. what size throttle body are you using ?, you mentioned that you got it bored out.

c0mf0rt
06-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Got mine bored up to 65mm.... I heard someone else say they did the manifold with a Dremel????? How do you go about doin that????

JSIR
06-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Got mine bored up to 65mm.... I heard someone else say they did the manifold with a Dremel????? How do you go about doin that????

its a messy job, best way is to pull the manifold out,that way you can wash it out, there are billions of shavings when you dremmel it out and it takes some effort to get it the right size and all. If you have to do it stuff it with rags, then use baby wipes to get it clean after you are done and pull out all the rags, Q-tips help as well.

JSIR
06-08-2003, 05:56 PM
hmm, you got yours up to 65mm hugh, wish I did mine that much bigger now, we stopped at 64mm, that extra 1mm would be nice.

myeverlovinsir
06-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
hmm, you got yours up to 65mm hugh, wish I did mine that much bigger now, we stopped at 64mm, that extra 1mm would be nice.

Yeah, what gives, I thought we were limited to the bearings held
within the TB? I think you are the 2nd person to say 65. hmmm
Sure you talking about the TB plate diameter and not the outer
flute?

JSIR
06-08-2003, 06:12 PM
Glen, I'm trying to get right answer on this throttle body size, I've been told that 64mm is all you can bore them out to (as you know), then I've heard that some guys have done 64.8mm, and recently a couple have said 65mm. Dunno if these are just estimates or accurate measurements. I've asked the RSX-S guys this question as many of them have done the upgrade and we use the same TB's.

One of the other EP guys recently said his was 65mm and it matched up with the stock intake manifold size (but he thought his measuring tool wasn't totally accurate). But I know for a fact that the stock intake manifold opening is 64mm which leads me to believe his TB was bored to 64mm (since it matched up perfectly) and possibly his measuring tool just wasn't very accurate.

I'd like to find out the exact answer to this matter though.

Joey

bioevolve
06-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Yeah that was me :p I was using a cheap plastic dial caliper. You're right about the 64mm IM and TB.