PDA

View Full Version : Medical Vs. Automotive Grade

smokincivic
06-06-2003, 04:57 PM
What is everyones thoughts on using Medical grade NAWZ (j/k Steve) as opposed to automotive grade. I have heard the only difference is that the auto grade has sulfur added to it (so people dont huff it). thoughts?

EDIT: and in case anyone was wondering it is legal for public to purchase medical grade n2o in some states if you have a properly sealed container ie. nitrous bottle.

SiR Medic
06-07-2003, 05:45 PM
First off, I doubt you would want to do this as Medical grade N20 is likely to be more expensive than auto grade. (Anything "military" or "medical" is always at least twice as expensive!)

Second of all, medical grade "NAWS" contains 20% oxygen premixed into it.(This is a safegaurd to ensure no one suffactes. N2O is similar to CO2 in that the body cannot metabolize it.) Since aftermarket nitrous kits are set to run pure nitrous, using medical grade would at least cause quite a few problems and at the worst... trash your engine.

smokincivic
06-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Is the medical grade actually mixed with the Oxygen, or is there two tanks and they mix as you use them like a cutting torch?

SiR Medic
06-07-2003, 06:19 PM
It's all mixed in one cylinder.

Hypothetically, you could get the nitrous oxide from the source, before they add the oxygen... But this would be difficult to come across and stikes me as somewhat "grey market" ie. not quite legal, but not quite illegal.

smokincivic
06-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Sweet thanks for the info man. Now off topic and just out of curiosity what would happen to a human if they were given just the medical n2o and no oxygen, would this be like the n2o they use for whipped cream cartridges?

mhx
06-07-2003, 06:51 PM
medical wont kill you if you... auto will :)

smokincivic
06-07-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by mhx
medical wont kill you if you... auto will :)

DAMN there goes that idea j/k :D

SiR Medic
06-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Somebody given N2O without oxygen would suffacate. Just like giving someone nothing but CO2. Although not poisonous per se , Your lungs are incabable of removing the Oxygen from Nitrous Oxide. Eventually, you would just suffacate.

TomR123
06-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SiR Medic
Somebody given N2O without oxygen would suffacate. Just like giving someone nothing but CO2. Although not poisonous per se , Your lungs are incabable of removing the Oxygen from Nitrous Oxide. Eventually, you would just suffacate.

Um, isn't it just nitrogen if the oxygen is removed? just a thought you know nitrousOXIDE indicates that it is mixed with oxygen. So is auto grade just less oxygen? why would more oxygen hurt, seems to me it would help.

Rueda del Queso
06-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Your confusing a physical mixture with a chemical bond. In N2O, one oxygen atom is bonded chemically to two nitrogen atoms. The lungs are incapable of breaking this chemical bond. With the medical N2O, there is the same N20 but they also put O2 into the bottle with it. The O2 and N2O do not bond, they are simply in the same container.

ssvr6
06-13-2003, 04:15 PM
He just said that the body can't separate the oxygen from the N2O. BTW--Huffing race N2O SUX!

I got a hit of it by accident and it fucking sucks. Smells like ass and it gave me a huge f-ing headache.

Steve

TomR123
06-13-2003, 05:39 PM
thanks for the clear up Rueda thats what I was wondering:)

smokincivic
06-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by TomR123

Um, isn't it just nitrogen if the oxygen is removed? just a thought you know nitrousOXIDE indicates that it is mixed with oxygen. So is auto grade just less oxygen? why would more oxygen hurt, seems to me it would help.

I am almost positive that auto grade also has sulfur in it

SiR Medic
06-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by smokincivic

I am almost positive that auto grade also has sulfur in it

It does... So dumb ricers don't kill themselves trying to get high off it!

To help you under stand why the body can't absorb the oxygen in Nitrous oxide is because the body cannot break apart the molecule of 2 nitrogen+1 oxygen (N2O). It can however break apart the oxygen molecule of 2 oxygen (O2).

TomR123
06-14-2003, 08:00 AM
It makes more sense now that i think about it because your body cant absorb the oxygen from co2 either.