PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency Mods

!@#$%
06-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Efficiency mod- `noun`_ a modification which does very little in itself, but makes noticable gains when combined working together along the other modifications. Preferably something cost efficient.

(that is my definition if anyone is curious)

Now that I have I/H/E, I won't be modding my car as fast paced like i have to date. The next step for me engine wise will be to eliminate as much drivetrain loss as possible. The number one mod would have to be Hondata heatshield gasket. For 60 bucks and 4.5 lbs of wtq (suk02 dyno proof) it seems to be a good investment. I'm thinking maybe ignition....maybe. I like the honda setup, but honestly am still curious on how this K series will respond to it. Pulleys are next up. Even though the idler pulley is the only one replaceable (i think) it may help with something. who knows, it's fairly cheap. We could shave some poundage off the stock flywheel for a couple hundred bucks....that would make for an intresting mod. Just a few fairly cheap mods that may give noticable gains WITH i/h/e.

1. hondata heatshield gasket
2. ignition (nology) would we benefit from just colder plugs???
3. AEM/ unothodox pulley
4. Shave the flywheel (does this lessen the durability?)

Just a few ideas. I'm hoping to get a dyno of my car with injen cai, dc header, and skunk2 catback sometime within the next two weeks. [Off to Jotech. Subliminalsi, have you had your car dynoed there yet? If so how much did it run?] We'll see what the hell is going on under the hood then.

-Alex

jdm03ep
06-07-2003, 09:40 AM
thats sounding good man just always think long and hard about the mods you buy there is nothing worse than buying something you dont want.

and i know you like that run on sentence:D

JDMakeover
06-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Shave the flywheel teeth? Hmmm that would prevent it from catching correctly.

Colder plugs will **** up your idle tremendously. Well, depends how cold really. It can cause you to run too rich and not burn gas as efficiently in stop and go scenarios. If you live in Cal like some of us that is a big deal. Fuel economy will be lost.

The only reason you need colder rated plugs is for boost. They use up a **** load more fuel than our cars operate on. If you like to take your car to redline every day I would suggest the Denso IK22's but don't you dare go higher! Personally I use the IK20's. Remember using wrong plugs can cause misfiring too!

SHAKEnBAKE
06-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Pulleys are good idea, for flywheel, it'll be better to get an aftermarket one (if it's available):D

!@#$%
06-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by JDMakeover
Shave the flywheel teeth? Hmmm that would prevent it from catching correctly.

Colder plugs will **** up your idle tremendously. Well, depends how cold really. It can cause you to run too rich and not burn gas as efficiently in stop and go scenarios. If you live in Cal like some of us that is a big deal. Fuel economy will be lost.

The only reason you need colder rated plugs is for boost. They use up a **** load more fuel than our cars operate on. If you like to take your car to redline every day I would suggest the Denso IK22's but don't you dare go higher! Personally I use the IK20's. Remember using wrong plugs can cause misfiring too!

not the teeth. I'm not sure one what part they shave off. Where did you get teeth from? lol

GeNoZiDe
08-17-2003, 12:03 AM
well pulleys aint out yet still TBA from AEM
shaving the fly wheel would jus be a waste of bucks to pay to take apart the tranny to jus shave it ( u mine as well jus get upgraded clutch presure plate and flywheel at once)
Nology hotwire are intresting, havent done that much research but as someone said RSX guys are loving em 210 US or something though.
Hondata heat sheild would be the best bang for the buck!! LOL
then the wires ;)

ALTERED SI
08-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by GeNoZiDe
well pulleys aint out yet still TBA from AEM
shaving the fly wheel would jus be a waste of bucks to pay to take apart the tranny to jus shave it ( u mine as well jus get upgraded clutch presure plate and flywheel at once)
Nology hotwire are intresting, havent done that much research but as someone said RSX guys are loving em 210 US or something though.
Hondata heat sheild would be the best bang for the buck!! LOL
then the wires ;) this is something we have to know 4 sure!!! our cars (si hatch) are new to the aftermarket they having trouble so far in how to modified this new type of engines thats why honda did it like this 4 this reason ... my boy got smoke by a crx with a gsr engine and he has the same mods we all have why cause is nothing else available 4 our cars but there is hope and its coming soon this companies like aem etc etc... want and need to make money so its to early other drivers r saying this "" ohh yeah i smoke a new si"'' big deal but is ok we r going to get them back peace