PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mounts: To Do or Not to Do?

Shark
06-09-2003, 07:28 AM
I think that I'm going to get the engine mounts. I took the Si to the drag strip for fun on Friday, and experienced wheel hop to the extreme. Let me tell you, I'd rather have my ass hairs pulled than experience that wheel hop again. It was horrible and can't be any good for the car. If feels like you're driving over cobblestone at 100 MPH.

For all of those you have performed the mod, please cast your vote.

myeverlovinsir
06-09-2003, 07:40 AM
Just get em and be done with it. They are not an easy thing
to swap in and out, so you will learn to live with the little vibration
at idle. Other than that you will be happy with the launches and
not notice anything different about the ride/vibration above idle (~1000rpms). Oh and your right, wheel hop is not good for your drive train.;)

B18CXr
06-09-2003, 08:32 AM
One of the best mods done to my car to date

gpt
06-09-2003, 08:44 AM
An alternative is an engine torque dampener. I installed one on my car last week and the car feels completely different, very tight and very easy to launch. Also it is adjustable so you can dial in as much "vibration" as you want. Only problem is it costs quite a bit more. (see PolePosition for details)

Shark
06-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Are there any disadvantages with the torque dampener? That is, which product is best for eliminating wheel hop?

If the torque dampener works as good as the mounts without the side effects, I'd happily pay the extra money.

Considering that the labor for installing the torque dampener is less than that of the engine mounts, why would someone opt for the mounts if they weren't doing the installation themselves?

I'm just looking for someone to clarify the performance differences between engine mounts and torque dampeners.

gpt
06-09-2003, 02:23 PM
People opt for the mounts because they are cheaper and they do not mind more vibration in the car. From what the people with mounts say, the vibration is not that bad though.

The dampener is adjustable - which is why I bought it.

Some people will still prefer the mounts - each to their own. BTW there is quite a bit of information on clubrsx about the dampener, so you may want to search there.

GeNoZiDe
06-09-2003, 02:52 PM
anyone got both engine tq damper AND mounts? LOL\
jus got the mounts, gotta find time to install em still
thinkin of the tq damper in the future though :D

myeverlovinsir
06-09-2003, 02:55 PM
One thing that is advantageous to having the mounts vs. the damper,
is that your stock mounts are now protected from wearing out. I think
bioevolve noticed that one of his stock mounts was torn when he
put his in. Then again he was really pushing his engine with NO2.:D

CivicSiR4U2NV
06-09-2003, 03:08 PM
where can we get these and who makes them????

bioevolve
06-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Best mod for the dollar!

GeNoZiDe
06-09-2003, 03:22 PM
you can get the mounts at performence improvements on Kennedy south of ellesemere (where i got mine) there for the Acura RSX

and the engine tq damper u can get in markham at 14th and birchmount at Speedstar (i think its 3 hundred something not sure)

Suk02Si
06-09-2003, 04:51 PM
I have the mounts, too bad they're sitting my closet:(

myeverlovinsir
06-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
I have the mounts, too bad they're sitting my closet:(

yeah, a cheap price for one of the harder mods you will do. The
damper is far more easier to put on. Not alot of shops will even
tackle this install, when I did mine I made sure to know what goes
where before putting it on the lift. Well worth it though!;)

chubbychu
06-09-2003, 05:30 PM
hmm....i already bought mine (ES MMI)...they were 20 bucks...so even if i dont put them in, i can probaby sell them for more. but yea, im not sure what i should do...put them in and have to explain to everyone why my car vibrates or leave them off and hear chriping and thumping and bouncing everytime i try to race ANYONE! lol the one thing i am concerned about is install. If i find a good price to put these in than im going for it. But if its too much to install than forget it. WEll, i guess i didnt say much after all those words but im on the same page as the guy. So yea

Shark
06-10-2003, 06:48 AM
gpt:

Did the dampener completely eliminate the wheel hop for you?

CivicSiR4U2NV
06-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by GeNoZiDe
you can get the mounts at performence improvements on Kennedy south of ellesemere (where i got mine) there for the Acura RSX

and the engine tq damper u can get in markham at 14th and birchmount at Speedstar (i think its 3 hundred something not sure)

how much for the mounts??? and who makes them???

chubbychu
06-10-2003, 12:09 PM
20 bucks at ptuning.com and Energy Suspension makes them right?

1abSi
06-10-2003, 12:27 PM
i live in a "have to have a/c climate" and despite the shaking....i still love them

gpt
06-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Shark
gpt:

Did the dampener completely eliminate the wheel hop for you?

So far yes, I am waiting for it to rain here so I can test in the wet too - shouldn't have to wait too long - I live in Vancouver!

Shark
06-10-2003, 01:44 PM
With the assumption that I can install it myself (I replaced the springs myself), is the torque dampener the best choice if I intended to have a professional install the motor mount inserts?

If the only con with torque dampeners is their initial cost, it's a no brainer for me. Who has the best price on them?

Originally posted by gpt

So far yes, I am waiting for it to rain here so I can test in the wet too - shouldn't have to wait too long - I live in Vancouver!

CivicSiR4U2NV
06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
Okay I finally got them but where do they go??? I know there suppose to go on the mount so no smartass answers plz. When I got them they only came with 4 polyurethane bushings....no instructions or anything else, if anything else is suppose to come with it. So if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

GeNoZiDe
06-11-2003, 08:30 PM
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP3_ES_MOUNTS
those are the install instructions
try searchin for myeverlovinsir's thread on the install gives info on the instal and better more clear pics

SmoothOperator
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Why haven't all the "HOW TO's" on this board been put in the "Projects" section. That would REALLY simplify shit!

I'm REALLY considering getting the mounts now. I can't take all that bouncing around when I attempt to "light em up". mwuhahhahaha I'd much rather get a good squelch outta my tires, and a better launch! Is the vibration really all that bad?

604_EP3
06-12-2003, 01:48 AM
I just installed my ES mount kit today. I think that it morethat acceptable the slightly added vibration, for perfect lauches, and the feeling from the engine is much better. The motor doesn't torque nearly as much when you let off the gas at speed. The only time the vibration is annoying is when you're idling with the a/c on. But once you're above 900-100 pm the vibration is gone. The install was a little bit of a bit*h but well owrth it. make sure you remove he two bolt holding the exhast to the header. It makes a ton of difference with the amount of movement you get out of the motor when you're trying to remove the front mount.

SiRman
06-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey 604_EP3, good to see more people from Van. on ephatch.

chubbychu
06-13-2003, 03:24 PM
man, is there an easy way to install these? i went to my local "performance Shop" I HATE HATE HATE going into these places. Anyways, i wnated to ask them how much it would cost to install these motor mount inserts...anyways they quoted me 100 bucks....THATS SOOOO CRAZY~! 100 freaking bucks to move a motor and slip in a piece or rubber. I would do this myself but i dont have necessary tools and by no means am i a mechanic..but this is absolutely STUPID! 100 dollarS? im just gonna keep them in my trunk. This is so gay. I wish i lived around u guys!

trk
12-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
man, is there an easy way to install these? i went to my local "performance Shop" I HATE HATE HATE going into these places. Anyways, i wnated to ask them how much it would cost to install these motor mount inserts...anyways they quoted me 100 bucks....THATS SOOOO CRAZY~! 100 freaking bucks to move a motor and slip in a piece or rubber. I would do this myself but i dont have necessary tools and by no means am i a mechanic..but this is absolutely STUPID! 100 dollarS? im just gonna keep them in my trunk. This is so gay. I wish i lived around u guys!

I paid $50 --- keep looking around...

$100 isn't really that bad... it's a bitch to put them in... a good hour for sure even if they know what they are doing.

also... the vibrations have really subsided after about 2000 miles on them....

CIVICBOOST
12-27-2003, 06:51 PM
It took me a hour and a half with the help of my old man (mechanic of 22yrs) to put these bitches in, the price quote from the shop makes sense. The MM inserts are awesome I've been running with mine in for 2 weeks now, the vibration isnt to bad and is only felt when accelerating from a dead stop and a little bit at idle. I think there better in a durability test and will last longer because in essense the torque dampener is a "shock" and as we all know shocks can go bad rather quickly.

I bought mine from Lightning Motorsports for $11 plus shipping

1fastminivan
12-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Ok guys.....seriously......the vibration is nothing to complain about. I dont even notice it anymore. Its very little vibration. With AC on it vibrates just a tad more but nothing biggy. Ive had two EP friends and they both were asking why people complained about the vibration because it is not that noticable. One of my friends who drove my car finally ended up getting them for his car and its the same kind of little vibration like on mine. It actually sounds meaner when you first turn it on.:D

CIVICBOOST
12-28-2003, 02:16 PM
I agree with 1fastminivan with the vibration, its not that bad and it does give the EP a little bit of a race car kind of feel:D

NemesisITR
12-28-2003, 06:11 PM
I got my mounts put in on Saturday and I love them. The vibration is not bad at all. I dont know what people are bitching about, c'mon ive been in domestics that have shaked worse than that!! The vibration MIGHT be a little stronger with a Type S or Type R motor cause of the higher compression. But, Holy SHIT, the car is much better, tighter feeling and the engine doesnt shake after I turn it off. So far no wheel hop on dry roads and maybe the smallest on wet roads. I wouldnt get the dampner because A: the price and B: its a piston, what can pistons do?, they can blow out!! IMO.

Do what you want!!!

Derek

myeverlovinsir
12-28-2003, 06:17 PM
The vibration MIGHT be a little stronger with a Type S

I did notice that the vibration I have now is sorta like a rocking motion, like a Chevy small block at idle with the new head. Not any stronger, just a different rhythm.:D

NemesisITR
12-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
I did notice that the vibration I have now is sorta like a rocking motion, like a Chevy small block at idle with the new head. Not any stronger, just a different rhythm.:D

OH SNAP, your lowpen!!!

CTR16611
12-29-2003, 01:36 PM
how do you set the engine dampener i have a j's one and its knocks the time and it vibrates alot and i donno what i have to do i have treid everything

sai_iii
12-29-2003, 03:51 PM
i'm getting mine put in tommrrow!:D I'll post a review then.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
12-29-2003, 07:04 PM
Ordered my ES Mounts today.
Install should only take about 5 mins tops being that they're going in during the A2 swap.
:D

Hopefully the vibration isn't too bad.

sniperSI
12-30-2003, 11:45 AM
I have mine, however i have not put them in. Does anyone have a 'howto' or maybe just a quick break down of how they installed theirs. I checked k-series how to but i still want more information on it.

sai_iii
12-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Just got them put in today! Thanks to Jack at P1 Auto. Great mod for the price in my opinion. There is definately more vibration at idle with air on, and below 2000 rpms, but i have already gotten used to it. It is really no big deal. The engine definatley feels more responsive and "torqueier". This is my first mod and i have to say that it is great!

sai_iii
12-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Forgot to mention that engine noise is also louder. But its a nice loud.:cool:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
Ordered my ES Mounts today.
Install should only take about 5 mins tops being that they're going in during the A2 swap.
:D

Hopefully the vibration isn't too bad.

Vibration is a bit more than i expected but it's liveable.
I mean...how often are you actually sitting there idling.
I try to avoid traffic as much as possible, but thats hard living in the most densly populated state. :(
Free massage!

SiRman
01-14-2004, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt get the dampner because A: the price and B: its a piston, what can pistons do?, they can blow out!! IMO.

There is nothing to blow out, there is just a rubberlike(not sure the exact material), bushing inside the damper. No oil, or air charge.

SiRman
01-14-2004, 07:56 PM
how do you set the engine dampener i have a j's one and its knocks the time and it vibrates

Remove the damper(easy just undo the nut at either end).
Try torsionally bending the damper in you hands, and make sure it is not loose at any of the threaded connections. I have had several vibration issues with mine, so I finaly took it apart. The most critical one is to check that the threads where the two anodized pieces meet are not loose. Make sure the threads on the ends of the pillow balls are not backed off too far. Basically if there is any play in any of the threads you will get all kinds of crazy vibrations.

Sorry it's kind of hard to explain but I hope you get the idea.
Also make sure the damper is not set up too long or you will have excessive strain vibration under accel. If the damper is too short it will strain under decel.

Haven't had any vibration issues once I took it apart and retightened everything.

Hope that helps.
I'm almost out of breath.:confused:

SiRman
01-17-2004, 05:24 PM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=72747

Follow the link for a much more indepth discription of damper adjustment on clubrsx.:smilem: