PDA

View Full Version : TPS for Throttle Body ?????????????

c0mf0rt
06-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Ok.... TB has been bored.... and I've had my share of problems..... I think I've got it all worked out.... EXCEPT... I think my TPS is still out of whack... does anyone know how to set it while it's on the car?????

Right now the idle is pretty good... but every now and then it'll idle a little too high for too long and the CEL will come on.... resetting it makes it go out until this happens again... also... occasionally it'll get REAL coughy and jerky around 2k ... usually at the same time when the CEL comes on...

Please help...

JSIR
06-10-2003, 11:40 AM
pull it off the car and set the TPS sensor to around 900 ohms of resistance between the prongs #1 and #2 of the TPS sensor. You need a multimeter to do it.

You should also check the throttle stop screw and adjust it up or down to make sure the throttle valve is sitting tight in the bore at closed position. Lift the TB up to a light and see if there is a gap or light shining through in any great amount. If it is , then lower the throttle stop screw so it allows the throttle valve to sit tighter in the bore. If the valve is too tight then increase the screw height so the valve sits more open at idle. Almost sounds like you are getting too much air past the throttle valve at idle, so it may need lowering.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get it right. Make sure all the sensors are properly installed and tightened, one guy recently had an o-ring gasket missing from one of the sensors on the TB and they obviously leaked air causing idle problems.

hth

Joey