PDA

View Full Version : Removing I-VTEC DOHC Decals

VegasEP
08-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Okay for those of you who have done this already. What is the best method for removing the decals. I'm tired of my friends not in the know asking me what the hell an I-VTEC is and I want the clean body look.

CgSi
08-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Did mine 10 minutes after I got home from the dealer. Let them sit in direct sunlight for a while. One side came off with no residue. The other side sucked. Or you could put boiling water on it or maybe even take a hair dryer to it. You can take off any remaing residue with 3M adhesive remover (good stuff)
Good luck

David K.
08-17-2002, 01:44 AM
Just took mine off two days ago; mine have been on for over 9000 miles. A razor blade will help you peel an edge up, then just slowly pull em off. Any residue should come off with any generic degreaser or adhesive remover (I used Goo Gone).

SBC31
08-17-2002, 06:46 AM
Just use a hair dryer to heat up the decal a bit, then peel it off. Once it's off, just wax the area where the decal was.

That simple.

grooveline
08-17-2002, 01:58 PM
yes.... but.... what about the children?

ssvr6
08-19-2002, 08:08 AM
I used my finger nail to peel them up. Then I used goof off to clean the small amount of adhesive left and then cleaned and waxed the area.

20 minutes with a 10 minute drink break. ;)

Steve

SiR_d1
12-14-2003, 08:17 PM
I plan on doing this sometime soon, and I was just wondering out of the methods that were mentioned which method did you use?

BarracksSi
12-17-2003, 11:18 AM
I also did mine with the good ol' fingernail, Goo Gone, some Quik Detailer, and finally a helping of wax.

The decals ended up as wadded balls of torn plastic, but that's okay with me.

SiR_d1
12-17-2003, 11:23 AM
who else here has done the hairdryer method?

the fingernail trick doesnt work for me probably because its so cold:(

BarracksSi
12-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Yeah -- cold, it would suck. I did mine in the middle of the summer.

03SiGuy
12-17-2003, 10:10 PM
The Hair Drier trick works wonders. get one area kinda hot and try to peal it with your fingernail or a credit card or drivers licence.:)

davidc81
12-19-2003, 07:01 AM
i used a heat gun to get off both the ivtec stickers and the rear badges. spray a bit of goo gone or wd40 on the backing while you're pealing it. helps everything go alone quicker!

SiR_d1
12-19-2003, 07:02 PM
thanks for the replys.

I want to use the hairdryer method but I dont wanna ruin my paint. But I dont see the differnece between that and having you car in direct sunlight:cool:

DyNastySi
12-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Ive had bad experiences with the hair dryer. I used it for my pin stripes. Its good for taking off the sticker, but it leaves the sticky part on there. I dunno, it would prolly be easier to use that method for the i-vtec sticker cause theres not as much sticky stuff to take off.

Btrthnezr3
12-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm still debating on if I should take mine off...
anyone wanna post some pics...
before and after? or since we know what before looked like...hehe after only...whatever works...
anybody?
:D
Help a sista out!

SiR_d1
12-21-2003, 10:42 AM
I just removed mine yesterday, I used the hairdryer method. I first want to say that you really shouldn't use this particular method in the winter because you heat up the sticker the cold just freezes it up again. So because of this it took longer than expected. Once I removed the sticker I used Meguires Scratch x and buffed the area. After that there was still little stops of the adhesive that I removed with some WD40 (works really well).

And there you have it!

02SilverSiHB
12-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
I'm still debating on if I should take mine off...
anyone wanna post some pics...
before and after? or since we know what before looked like...hehe after only...whatever works...
anybody?
:D
Help a sista out!
I removed mine, after I got the kit, I couldn't stand looking at the decals

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjM0OTcyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

rear
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTYyOTYwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Btrthnezr3
01-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Looks really nice. I did mine this weekend and I am very happy with the results. I found it easiest if I used the following method:

First start on a sharp corner of the decal and use your fingernail (or lack thereof in my case) to "pick up" the edge.
Then you can use a pair of tweezers to try to get that little peice to come up some more. once you have a very small peice. Use the hairdryer. This seems to strengthen the sticker making it shrink thus making it thicker. Continue to tweeze until there is enough slack to get your fingers on. Start pulling the sticker off but only pull small sections at a time and then go back to the part stuck closest to the body. This is because if you just try to pull without getting a new grip, the sticker will break and fall back onto the body. If at some point the sticker starts to look too thin, use the hairdryer again. The key for me was pull a little, grab some more closest to the car, pull a little, grab more. It worked really well and it helped the second sticker to come off a lot easier. Then, I used goo gone to literally dissolve any residue on the side. After that, I wiped with my wet wash mit (i had just washed the car)and patted dry with a towel. And there you have it...hope this helps someone. I'm gonna try to post some pics on this thread tomorrow. I'm at work right now so don't have access but I'll get em for ya! Happy peeling!

rs_1101
01-10-2004, 01:44 PM
did mine in 10 minutes.

dont reccomend heat gun.. gets too hot. i used a hairdryer to warm the area up and start peeling, then i just aimed the hairdryer @ the sticker while i peeled it. go slow, it wont take long. then use a good degreaser and wax the area. i replaced my ivtec stickers with 2 ephatch.com stickers. very avante garde.

SONIC SI
02-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Looks like I am going to do mine this weekend.

LHD_EP3
02-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I removed mine, after I got the kit, I couldn't stand looking at the decals

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjM0OTcyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

rear
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTYyOTYwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Nice house, I like the Mazdaspeed Protege you have in the garage

02SilverSiHB
02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by LHD_EP3
Nice house, I like the Mazdaspeed Protege you have in the garage
LOL :D looks like I accidently deleted some pics from my home page...oops :(

Rwecked
02-29-2004, 06:34 AM
Heat gun (it's 8C degrees outside)+ 2 minutes= Super Clean Look!

I can't beleive it took me so long to get around to it.

03CivicSiHb
02-29-2004, 11:56 AM
well i got all you guys beat on the way of taking the decals off. i did not have a heat gun and i did not have a hairdryer. the only thing that i had the could make some heat was a a little space heater. :) after a couple of mins of leting the heater heat up the stickers they peeled right off. there were a few sticky spots but they came off with goo gone.

i know my way was super ghetto but hey it worked;)

-cecil

SiR_d1
02-29-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 03CivicSiHb
well i got all you guys beat on the way of taking the decals off. i did not have a heat gun and i did not have a hairdryer. the only thing that i had the could make some heat was a a little space heater. :) after a couple of mins of leting the heater heat up the stickers they peeled right off. there were a few sticky spots but they came off with goo gone.

i know my way was super ghetto but hey it worked;)

-cecil

you don't even have a hairdryer??

How can you afford an ep then?
:D ;)

02SiFoLife
03-15-2004, 12:50 AM
One side was super easy the other side was a 4 hour nightmare.
I say 4 hours total which includes cig brakes and the occasional pouting.
Did mine with sticker shock that I got at pep boys and a plastic scraper from home depot.
Don't use a razor !!!!
Its worth the time the body looks super clean afterwards.
I was having so much fun I took the civic emblem off too.:D

Ep3 No.2
03-15-2004, 01:15 AM
just use goo gone. it worked fine with me.

SiR_d1
03-15-2004, 01:18 AM
WD40 worked fine for me

BlasTech
03-15-2004, 01:22 AM
wd40 + wifey's hair dryer + two thumbnails + 1-hr. + davidc81's avatar did it for me.

Stewster
03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
I used a heat gun and Solvent to take off mine, then i used a thick wax to get the lines out