PDA

View Full Version : Just orderd Coil-overs from KW!!!

greenguy
06-10-2003, 12:21 PM
They are V2. They are a direct swap. They use Koni shocks, and KW springs and are a direct fit.
KW is having a sale on them ( $200 rebate!) so shipped is $1285!
They should arrive by Friday, will install when My help gets back from vacation at the end of the month! Pics will be posted when they Arrive!!!
Hootie Frickin Hoooo!:p
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/pd3bd51bc0eb1398a0cf533507773819e/fbe15685.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/p619600719dcf845f77e7d97844e5457d/fbe15676.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid66/pbd6485bc04ce0d54c8cc900c20eaf54d/fbe1567c.jpg

TEKBRAIN
06-12-2003, 04:23 AM
Do they really use Koni shocks?
I cannot find anything about Koni on their website.

TEKBRAIN
06-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Koni: http://www.kwsuspension.com/news/may03/after2/k.jpg

greenguy
06-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN
Koni: http://www.kwsuspension.com/news/may03/after2/k.jpg
I believe that picture is from thier corrosion testing.
There is info in the press area. If you read the articles and research the the products and actually call them, its all there:).

Also Oscar Jackson is the on to get KW to make suspensions for our rides. I am surprised that He has not had any press or write ups about his ride. The guys at KW are more than willing to share this info if you talk to them.

Also they did a JDM typeR engine swap in an ep3 for a customer who is going to race his car. They are located in Vancouver, so anyone have any ideas who it is?

BlasTech
06-12-2003, 08:21 AM
So does that system bolt on? or does it require the "Koni cut" on the chassis mounts?

Burgh
06-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Rates?

greenguy
06-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
So does that system bolt on? or does it require the "Koni cut" on the chassis mounts?
A complete swap with NO modifications required. I highly recomend that people contact them for info on specific questions.
I did my research and have found that these coilovers are what I want. Complete swap, NO modifications. Koni quality shocks ( hey they use Koni, what could be better!). Highth adjustable. Race/ street proven performance! Plus the guys on www.europeancarweb.com have been useing these on thier project cars and absolutley love them!

greenguy
06-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
Rates?
http://www.kwsuspension.com/v2.htm

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Where did you order them from? Directly from KW? Please let us/me know how you like them, how hard they were to install etc... I am considering a set of Tein SS right now, and like the stainless steel idea. Certainly worth another 100$ for the stainless steel. Thanks

Burgh
06-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by greenguy

http://www.kwsuspension.com/v2.htm

I still don't see the spring rates anywhere on that page. Am I missing something?

fsugatorbait
06-16-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Ocelaris
Where did you order them from? Directly from KW? Please let us/me know how you like them, how hard they were to install etc... I am considering a set of Tein SS right now, and like the stainless steel idea. Certainly worth another 100$ for the stainless steel. Thanks

Im right there with you, ill be ordering a setup within a week or so and the stainless and no mod feature that KW offers might just be enough to make the switch from the SS. Where did you end up ordering from?

greenguy
06-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Burgh

I still don't see the spring rates anywhere on that page. Am I missing something?
Call them at 1888-530-1433 and talk shop with them. They are very friendly!

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 10:09 AM
The coilover kit looks to be very nice, I just don't know much about the company KW, and it looks like it's mainly a european car company. The only hits I found in google were for audi/VW companies.... And some people in google-groups mentioned them being koni yellow dampers...

The application list says it drops 35-65 front and rear, assuming that's mm, that translates to 1.37795" - 2.55905" for you Americans :-) Is that the same range as the teins?

I like the stainless steel, but I think there's probably other things to be considered... The "adaptation" of the teins I think is just boring out 2mm from the hole? or something like that? Probably not a huge difference, but I'm curious as to the spring rates too... if anyone finds out, please post here.

heheheh, ok, so I talked to darren from kw suspension a very nice guy, and he informed me that they are not koni shocks, something to the extent of the koni shocks don't cut it (no pun intended), so they do it all inhouse.

Spring rate 340 front 500 back

He informed me they use a racing coil, less coils, more travel... Wet filled , not shock insert... (those are just some notes, and all I got jotted down). But I ordered a set, 1275 shipped. they are out but are getting some in 10 days, and shipping to my door is 2 weeks. Looking forward to them! just need a camber kit now. Bill

mikkellucci
06-16-2003, 10:12 AM
greenguy,
Did your KW's ever come in? If so, what is your 'in person' impression of them!? Better yet, when are you installing them!? I'm still debating between these and the Tein Flex

fsugatorbait
06-16-2003, 10:31 AM
The application list says it drops 35-65 front and rear, assuming that's mm, that translates to 1.37795" - 2.55905" for you Americans :-) Is that the same range as the teins?

Aren't they height adjustable as well?

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 10:50 AM
My bad, they're adjustable from 1.4" - 2.6"

BlasTech
06-16-2003, 11:04 AM
heheheh, ok, so I talked to darren from kw suspension a very nice guy, and he informed me that they are not koni shocks, something to the extent of the koni shocks don't cut it (no pun intended), so they do it all inhouse.

Spring rate 340 front 500 back

He informed me they use a racing coil, less coils, more travel... Wet filled , not shock insert... (those are just some notes, and all I got jotted down). But I ordered a set, 1275 shipped. they are out but are getting some in 10 days, and shipping to my door is 2 weeks. Looking forward to them! just need a camber kit now. Bill

I LIKE those spring rates. Keep us informed on the install. :)

fsugatorbait
06-16-2003, 11:16 AM
My bad, they're adjustable from 1.4" - 2.6"

Excellent, sounds like ill be ordering shortly...:D

EDIT: Does anyone know if the dampner is adjustable while on the car? Its says for some of their units that they have to be taken off to be adjusted.

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 12:05 PM
I think the "having to take the car apart to adjust dampening" depends on what car you have... like I was reading on an audi forum (S4, A4) that unless you had a lift you had to take the wheels off and jack it up. But that's on an Audi... not heard anything about the honda applications. In fact I was reading that KW started racing acuras in the beginning?

Oh, and I remembered something Darren told me, That the coil overs had a main (did he say linear?) spring and helper? Not sure what that means... Can anyone clarify?

And I found two sites with KW installs:

http://s4.malagraphixia.com/ONYX_S4_KW_Coilovers_Frameset.htm

http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0305ec_promini/

If you read the latter install, it's a complete howto for a mini-pooper :-) it talks about bleeding the inner cylinder of air before installing? Are there any good howtos on installing coilovers? I definetly am going to need some help, but would like to read up some more before I do the install. Thanks, Bill

greenguy
06-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by mikkellucci
greenguy,
Did your KW's ever come in? If so, what is your 'in person' impression of them!? Better yet, when are you installing them!? I'm still debating between these and the Tein Flex
they will be here tomarow! install in 2 weeks when my brother-in-law gets back from Ohio.
will post pics when they arive!

greenguy
06-16-2003, 12:19 PM

http://www.europeancarweb.com/projectcars/0305ec_promini/

If you read the latter install, it's a complete howto for a mini-pooper :-) it talks about bleeding the inner cylinder of air before installing? Are there any good howtos on installing coilovers? I definetly am going to need some help, but would like to read up some more before I do the install. Thanks, Bill
Those shocks are the V1. They are NOT Koni's but what I was told is that the V2 ARE Koni's.
But from the write ups everyone likes em!
Oscar Jackson has them on His Si. Call and talk to him about his opinions of them.

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 12:41 PM
I didn't mean to imply those necessarily were koni shocks, merely that somewhere people have said that koni and kw had something in common? Maybe because they're both German? I don't know. I think in the Mini-cooper install they got german directions only with their V1 kit, but the distributor quickly emailed English directions... Their phone system says to pick either HP something or KW suspension? What's that other company?

Anyways, when I ordered my coilovers from KW, Darren, who remembered you GreenGuy, and apparently he had been reading this/our thread and told me that their was a misunderstanding "and that the v2s were NOT konis, but their own proprietary valving system..." That is just what I heard, nothing more, nothing less. Someone should call back and confirm ;-/ Maybe you should FSUGatorBait... I had no intentions of buying on the spot, but the guy was so nice I was sold! heheh

I am very impressed with what I've been reading about KW coilovers.

So I found this blurb "Many of the German coil over kits will come from the factory with some type of helper or tender spring because the TUV mandates that springs must stay tight in the perches even with the spring perches turned to their lowest setting"
here:
http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/susp-tech/springs/

Seems like there's a helper spring and a main spring... what's that mean compared to a progressive spring like the Tein SS ? And anyone else going to install them on their own? The other install link besides the mini cooper (V1s!) on an A4 had a picture of a guy installing it without a spring compressor... Is that how you do it?

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Oscar Jackson?

oh, and I would check out the main KW site, the American one is pretty lacking. And the comparison between stainless steel and galvanized shocks, heh, well the british and deutsch versions have the names of the competition, where as on the american site the names are removed? I guess in America you're not allowed to use your competitor's name in a disparaging way? Good Comparison (http://www.kw-gmbh.de/e_version/salzspruehnebeltest/dokumentation.html)

main site --> http://www.kw-gmbh.de

BlasTech
06-16-2003, 01:33 PM
Im just taking a guess here, but from what I've read it appears that:

Linear springs give the same amount of resistance throughout the entire range of compression... they start out with x resistance, and when they are compressed they still have the same x resistance. If you were to graph the force (resistance) over distance (compression), youd have a straight line.

Progressive springs start off with x resistance and have progressively more resistance as you compress them. That would make a graph with a curve.

The idea is that a progressive spring will offer some degree of comfort, as having lighter resistance at the beginning of the compression could help absorb tiny road shock, but more resistance as it compresses will still reduce body roll.

Then what would be the advantages of a linear spring? I think they could offer more precise control of adjustability to the ride via the adjustable damper, and perhaps, they would still be just as comfortable to ride on at 1.4" as at 2.6", while progressive springs would theoretically get progressively harsher.

I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head here, someone please help.

:o

Ocelaris
06-16-2003, 01:42 PM
"The dual spring design utilizes a flat helper spring and a main linear spring which makes the kit a progressive coilover kit. What is the difference? The helper spring helps take up the slack on the shock when entering and exiting corners, preventing the spring from falling out of the perch causing excessive wear on the threaded collar." -note not from KW website, this was an advertisement for another company, just used the quote as an example, so linear main may or may not apply, but I think the helper is flat linear and the main is linear "racing" ?

I was reading that the helper spring is actually only like 10-30 lbs, and starts out compressed, and only when you go into curves does the helper spring expand where normally the main spring might fall out of the perch? Kinda like go-go-gadget legs when he trys to cross a ravine? (where they stretch to meet the hole?)

I think you're right BlasTech, this seems to be more of a track oriented coilover, and probably a much harsher ride than the progressive single coilover Tein and H&R setup? Is that right?

What are you going to set your damping at GreenGuy? And when do you expect to get yours? Thanks, Bill

BlasTech
06-16-2003, 01:55 PM
I think you're right BlasTech, this seems to be more of a track oriented coilover, and probably a much harsher ride than the progressive single coilover Tein and H&R setup? Is that right?

I dont know, it could be that its just more reliant on the dampers to control the "comfort" of the ride.

greenguy
06-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Ok, I was mis informed about the Koni's. I originally spoke with Glen who gave me info on the v2's for most other aplications EXCEPT the ep3. They are a similar shock with low to mid speed controll, with a pre set high speed controll.
I am still happy with my purchase. The guys at KW are very friendly and more than willing to talk shop, which is very important to me vs. getting total attitude.
Now I just need to reap some benifits for the sales that these guys will get from me turning them on to this site and bragging about their product:p!
Oscar Jackson is the head of Jackson Racing (superchargers) Use google to do a search on Jackson racing for more info on the man and company!

TEKBRAIN
06-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by greenguy
Now I just need to reap some benifits for the sales that these guys will get from me turning them on to this site and bragging about their product:p!
When you'll have your money, we'll sue you for telling us that they use Koni.

greenguy
06-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN

When you'll have your money, we'll sue you for telling us that they use Koni.
???

Ocelaris
06-17-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm gonna take a wild shot and say he/she was joking ;)

As to whether they're konis or not, It seems to me either are top notch.

And I do owe greenguy my gratitude for turning me onto these coilovers, as I was all set to go with tein's yesterday morning, but by noon I was convinced :)

Now the wait...

greenguy
06-17-2003, 06:55 AM
I'm gonna take a wild shot and say he/she was joking ;)

As to whether they're konis or not, It seems to me either are top notch.

And I do owe greenguy my gratitude for turning me onto these coilovers, as I was all set to go with tein's yesterday morning, but by noon I was convinced :)

Now the wait...
Glad to help! After talking with the guys there and getting the proper info, I am still VERY happy with my purchase!
BTW: I wound up buying the second set of the first set ( does that make any sense???) that were made for Oscar Jacksons car. Sense these were made before the new plaiting process went into production, they are finished in the standard Galvanized steel. I was told they had the set and that sense I live in Az. with little to no chance of rusting ( Hell it will be like 110' today:D) I bought them at a very nice discount.
mine should arive today! pics up tomarow.

Burgh
06-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech

I LIKE those spring rates. Keep us informed on the install. :)

Yup. Me too. They're probably on the lower end (stiffness-wise)of what I'm looking for, but would probably make a good trade-off between stiffness for racing and comfort for getting the groceries.

Let us know especially if you need to cut/alter/modify any of the stock parts to do the install.

And thanks for the heads up on these, definitely interesting.

Ocelaris
06-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Lower end you mean they're soft? I was thinking that 340/500 was pretty stiff? Or were you looking for a racing setup? Looking at the spring rate thread, I was under the impression that these springs were on the harder side of things, right before a full race hardness?

GreenGuy, If you saw the kw.de website, even their zink plated steel (as their german website said I thought they were zinc galvanized steel)... held up well in the salt spray test. Much better than anything besides the stainless steel.

Burgh
06-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Lower end you mean they're soft? I was thinking that 340/500 was pretty stiff? Or were you looking for a racing setup? Looking at the spring rate thread, I was under the impression that these springs were on the harder side of things, right before a full race hardness?

*see motion ratio thread* - I haven't done the math for our cars yet, so to tell you the truth, I really don't have a definite idea as to what I'd want in a spring rate. The stock rates are something like 248/440 if I remember correctly. Taking a shot in the dark, I was looking for 400/600 or something like that, but that's based on what little I know about people running springs for the older gen Si which obviously has a very different suspension and weight. But again, I haven't done the math to figure it all out yet. 400/600 may be so stiff on our cars that it may cause internal bleeding. :D

greenguy
06-19-2003, 07:41 AM
I just recieved my suspension last night. Looks like VERY high quality. Welds are top notch, beefy but not sloppy. Unfortunatly all the instructions are in German. Der Huffogzegen zeL Fuginoff. :)
Pics looked like shit as they were taken late in the evening. Will take better ones this weekend.

fsugatorbait
06-19-2003, 07:57 AM
Sounds great, Id love to get a set but want to see how things work out first with quality and fitment. Will you be doing the install yourself and when do you plan on putting them in? Keep us posted.
Phil

greenguy
06-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Will you be doing the install yourself and when do you plan on putting them in? Keep us posted.
Phil
Yes. I will post pics of the entire install.

Ocelaris
06-19-2003, 10:26 AM
I was reading that article about the KW coilovers for the Mini-Cooper that they also got the directions in German, and you could just call the North American Ditsributor and they would email you the directions in english. Darren the guy who I ordered my directions from was on the web and following our thread, so I have no doubt he has the ability to email us the directions quickly. Just call the 800 number on the first page that green guy posted. I am looking forward to the pics!

greenguy
06-19-2003, 10:55 AM
English directions are on the way!
Also KW has a full color ad on the inside back page of this months SCC. Nice to see that they are getting their name out there for the sport compact cat market.

greenguy
06-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Pics have been added on first post.

fsugatorbait
06-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Looks great, when do you plan on doing the install?

mikkellucci
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Holy Sh!t! Thats what I call corrosion resistant...Those look very good, will resist all inclimate weather/temps.
A must have for NE Ohio.
$1285 about to be dropped for these

greenguy
06-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by mikkellucci
Holy Sh!t! Thats what I call corrosion resistant...Those look very good, will resist all inclimate weather/temps.
A must have for NE Ohio.
$1285 about to be dropped for these
Please note that I have one of the first sets produced, that were made before the NEW Plating process went into production. Mine are Galvanized. The new process will have a crome apearance.
I am very happy with the quality.
Install will be done by myself and my brother-inlaw probally the 4th of July weekend! Cant wait:p

Ocelaris
06-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Ok, it's been bugging me all week, when you ordered them, did you know you were getting the older style? Or how did that work, because I must have ordered them a day or so after you, and didn't note anything about the new stainless steel version, just assuming that I would be getting them. I'm hoping I'm getting the stainless steel ones :-/ What do you think green guy?

fsugatorbait
06-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Green guy got one of two sets that werent made in stainless and got a discount because of it. The other set went to oscar jackson. All other sets will be made in stainless. HTH
Phil

greenguy
06-26-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Green guy got one of two sets that werent made in stainless and got a discount because of it. The other set went to oscar jackson. All other sets will be made in stainless. HTH
Phil
Ya, what he said!:)

Glen@KW
06-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Hey guys,

First, thanks for all the positive talk about the KW Coilovers Greenguy ordered.

I just wanted to let you all know that KW is now an offical sponsor of the ephatch forum.

to properly introduce KW to you, we have come up with a special offer to get you into your own set of KW's.

Check out the Group buy and Vendor Sales forums for all the details.

Thanks again Greenguy, and Ocelaris. You both have pm's!

scwafish
06-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Well???? Are these babies in or what? The curiosity is killing me!

02TafWhtSi
06-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Any update on the install Green ?
:Waits Patiently:
:)

Glen@KW
06-30-2003, 04:16 PM
I beleive that he is having them installe on Friday the 4th, and I am sure he will be posting right after!

greenguy
06-30-2003, 04:50 PM
I sure hope I will too!;)

greenguy
07-03-2003, 06:01 PM
The install time will be 1pm. PST. For those of you that know of the Phoenix area in the summer time, it should be a warm 110':D I wanted to start around 6am but my help wants to do it in the HEAT! Oh well hopefully the install will go smoothe and I will be loaded up on beer in time for fireworks!
Happy 4th of July EVERYONE!!!!!

Ocelaris
07-03-2003, 06:16 PM
sweet... I'm pumped :)

there's been a delay in my order :-( so maybe next weekend... But at least I'll have my 22mm CTR swaybar and energy bushings to put on at the same time :-)

Glen@KW
07-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Check this out!

On Saturday July 5, 2003 at 12:30pm EST 9:30am PST on TNN/Spike - SUPER2NR TV takes you on a tour of KW Suspensions Germany!

Clear your schedule, and set your VCR

FCobra94
03-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Sorry to bring this post back up, but greenguy, if you could repost those install pics I would greatly appreciate it! :)

I got a set of used one's last week and am trying to see how they are setup. I'm not sure if the helper spring goes on top, or what :confused:

Anyways, any other info would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Ocelaris
03-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey Fcobra,
I am in NOVA, maybe 30 minutes from DC, and have the KWs too, if you wanna see mine on or whatever drop me an email.

PS. Helper spring goes on bottom I'm pretty sure... did mine right after greenguy got his.

Glen@KW
03-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Check out this link for install notes, and the helpers on this application are on the bottom.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/honda/CIVICUSA.pdf

If you need any more info, just give me a call directly at 1-888-530-1433 x 105!:D

FCobra94
03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Sweet, thanks! You guys are the best! :D

Glen@KW
03-17-2004, 11:18 AM
BTW, if you like the coilovers for your civic, then give me a call, as we have just released our Mustang systems, we have complete coilovers (V1 and V3) as well as adjustable sport shocks and springs!

FCobra94
03-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up :)

BTW, is there any new info on the upper bearings for the EP?

A few more people replied in the thread that you started about them in the Vendor Sales section and I am still interested as well.

Thanks again!

greenguy
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94
Thanks for the heads up :)

BTW, is there any new info on the upper bearings for the EP?

A few more people replied in the thread that you started about them in the Vendor Sales section and I am still interested as well.

Thanks again!
To tell the truth, Mine are sitting on a shelf in my garage! The noise problems that I've been haveing have not reared thier ugly head ( looks for wood; knocks three times:)). Plus I fear that a new alignment would be in order if/ when I install them. So sinse everything is fine, I will not be installing them and will sell them when I remove my suspension when it comes time to sell the car ( prays for the time to be this summer:D)!