PDA

View Full Version : Confidence at 100

02TafWhtSi
06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
I just have to comment on this. I was just at a steady cruise on the Garden State Parkway (NJ) for about 45 minutes varying my speed between 80 and 110. Man does the EP feel solid and confident at those speeds. Steering was rock solid and smooth, the suspension was really composed and settled, and it really felt like I was going 20 or 30 mph slower. I have to compare her to those German sports sedans.....built for high speed. Just thought I'd share :)
Do you guys have similar experiences?

Brettnyt
06-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah! I was doin 117 the other night and it felt like about 80! Very smooth! I just loose it when it comes to braking though... I dont like slowin down from those speeds....

SiR Medic
06-11-2003, 04:05 AM
Things do get a little squirrely past the 130 mark though...

That tells me I need a Type-R wing!:p

Suk02Si
06-11-2003, 04:06 AM
or adjustable Mugen wing:D

cmk05
06-11-2003, 06:10 AM
GSP at speed IS fun - with the gentle bends and elevation changes. And you get to test your .25 mile times after each toll booth.
Just watch out for the troopers who like to hide behind blind curves and overpasses.

I totally agree with your comment about the Si's sure-footed ability at speed. She definitely feels planted to the road well into triple digit speeds.

I didn't expect the Si to be such an Interstate-worthy car - what with its super-short gearing, relatively small size and short wheelbase and narrow track.

My old Focus, with its compliant and long travel suspension, handled pockmarked city roads with aplomb, but felt 'loose' and disconnected while moving at rates beyond 80mph or so. It didn't really matter, actually, because it took so damn long to get there on fomoco zetec power anyway.

cbecker333
06-11-2003, 06:14 AM
I always say this but its because I care :angel:

If you guys are running speeds of 100+ for any amount of time on stock tires, make sure they have 3-5 extra psi to prevent excessive heat build-up and possible blowout.

Now that i have that out of the way....this car can keep a high speed line like nothing else I've driven. I remember the only noticable difference between about 80 mph and 110 mph was the sound of wind rushing past me.

Tekdemon
06-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Sounds like you guys haven't had a speeding ticket in a while =P

Those make all the fun go away pretty fast.

Oh and although this sounded pretty lame to me originally: popping the moonroof(the tilted mode) basically gives you a mid-car spoiler! I actually sat around testing this and how it impacted stability, and it's DEFINITELY noticable past 80...

Pop it and the stability increases even more =)

Of course, the downside of all this fun stability, is the fact that our cars are heavy as hell =P

cbecker333
06-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Tekdemon
Sounds like you guys haven't had a speeding ticket in a while =P

Those make all the fun go away pretty fast.

I had one on a highway going 92 in a 65 about 2 years ago (different car) - it made things very not fun. Thats why I only speed on the open country roads out west of here now.....

mattyb
06-11-2003, 06:33 AM
I am with the heavy thing. Heavy, and the brakes are feeble. As a comparison, my girlfriend drives an '03 Jetta wagon with four wheel discs. Seems like the Jetta is more car and should work harder during braking than our EP's. NOPE! Slowing my car down seems like way too much work. One of my first upgrades is going to be a four wheel big brake upgrade. None the less I love my car and wouldn't want almost any other....

SiR Medic
06-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by mattyb
I am with the heavy thing. Heavy, and the brakes are feeble. As a comparison, my girlfriend drives an '03 Jetta wagon with four wheel discs. Seems like the Jetta is more car and should work harder during braking than our EP's. NOPE! Slowing my car down seems like way too much work. One of my first upgrades is going to be a four wheel big brake upgrade. None the less I love my car and wouldn't want almost any other....

I think you are confusing braking performance with "nose dive".

The ep breaks evenly, without the nose of it drooping down while the tail-end lifts up. This is common in cars with less sophisticated suspension geometry (ie. the Jetta)

According to Road & Track, the 2 cars have nearly identical stopping distances. (From 60-0mph in about 130feet)

The EP brakes are prone to brake fade after repeated use however, this can be remedied by merely replacing the stock discs with slotted/drilled ones.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
06-11-2003, 07:23 AM
I used to own a 98 Lexus ES300 before my Ep. The Lexus felt stable up to 80 then you could tell it was really needing a modess factory rear wing on the rear deck. You can really fell the car shake. My Ep feels great at those speeds. I have not been able to get it up more than 100 just for great fear of a ticket. I am already getting rapped by my insurance company

I also used to have a 93 Probe GT with a 2.5" drop and stock wing. That car was rock solid up to 140 mph. However braking were trully F O R D P O S. I hated those breaks. The Ep's breaks are better but I already heated them up pretty good and noticed alot of fade. I definitely will recommend a break upgrade for anyone.

I just wish I payed less insurance for more performance... :'(

Why can't an insurance company give you a break when you increase safty performance such as braking and or a rollcage??:o
he he he

JSIR
06-11-2003, 01:49 PM
I am glad you guys brought up this topic. I installed my CTR rear replica wing a week ago and I swear the car is more stable on the highway at speed, feels smoother too. Just drove on the highway the other day with decent cross winds and the car is really stable didn't push nearly as much, I kinda like it. I just asked my friend about his rear wing as well and he swore it felt different as well. I don't think its a matter of downforce or anything cause the wing isnt that large, but I think the the wing helps reduce lift by channeling the upper air straight over the rear. Keeping the air from swirling down the hatch and rear bumper area like the stock setup may create. Just my guess.

For really high speed driving I found that a set of lowering springs helped immensely to improve stability, my Eibach Prokits made the car feel less floaty, particularly in strong head winds.

Lastly, all you need to make our brakes perform well are a good set of brake pads. My EP stops like crazy from any speed without any hint of brake fade. Slapped on a set of Hawk HPS pads on all fours for $100, and the car brakes like champ, totally confidence inspiring. Stock pads fade way too much.

hth.

Joey

IceD out N CALI
06-11-2003, 02:00 PM
i agree the ep does cruise with confidence at 100, thats for sure:)

SubliminalSi
06-11-2003, 02:23 PM
It is nice but everytime im at those speeds im on really bumpy roads and im scared to keep it up there..im re-minded of that kid in the RSX that took that curve fast and hit a bump and flipped it:o