PDA

View Full Version : again...those with CTR side skirts...read

dustinhurley
06-11-2003, 04:25 AM
I decided to have my body shop drill the holes for the clips. I know some of you have your side skirts installed this way. Is there an easy way to line everything up to make sure it all fits perfectly. They are estimating $250 just for the install (not paint) because they say it is going to take them a long time to drill. They mentioned making a template out of paper or something. So, how did your body shop go about measuring and drilling?

RockEP_SS**
06-11-2003, 11:13 AM
$250 bucks :eek: ! Geezus, go do it yourself that's a big time rip off!!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

Edit: And no paint???:eek:

EP3_DC5
06-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
I decided to have my body shop drill the holes for the clips. I know some of you have your side skirts installed this way. Is there an easy way to line everything up to make sure it all fits perfectly. They are estimating $250 just for the install (not paint) because they say it is going to take them a long time to drill. They mentioned making a template out of paper or something. So, how did your body shop go about measuring and drilling?

Are these OEM CTR sides? IF so, you should be able to put them on yourself without much trouble.....

dustinhurley
06-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, they are the OEM Honda Civic Type-R side skirts. If you guys have them, you know that the backside of the side skirts have about 15 clips. Holes have to be drilled for these clips to snap into. The holes have to be drilled in the correct place, or the side skirt wont sit flush or even with the body of the car. I trust a body shop a lot more with drilling permanent holes in my car than I trust myself, and I know this would take a couple hours to do correctly. I just want to know if there is an easy way to align everything to know exactly where to drill the holes.

EP3_DC5
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
Yes, they are the OEM Honda Civic Type-R side skirts. If you guys have them, you know that the backside of the side skirts have about 15 clips. Holes have to be drilled for these clips to snap into. The holes have to be drilled in the correct place, or the side skirt wont sit flush or even with the body of the car. I trust a body shop a lot more with drilling permanent holes in my car than I trust myself, and I know this would take a couple hours to do correctly. I just want to know if there is an easy way to align everything to know exactly where to drill the holes.

Use Tape to mount the sideskirt first, and then mark where the holes are, and that's it. Shouldn't be THAT hard. Just make sure you have a friend help you that knows what he, she is doing. You are getting ripped off for $250 for just the installation. They should be doing paint and installation for that price!!! Because there is no prepping for the OEM parts.

icegrill
06-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Lemme just advise you not to drill holes. I'm dead serious when I say you'll regret it for as long as you own the car. I'm in the process of getting ctr skirts for my silver car and my body shop is painting and installing them for free because they caused me so much grief with their repair on on my ep. It is so much easier to use 3m brand acrylic tape made just for body cladding it's the same shit they use to hold escalade cladding and stuff like that on. Plus you will still have the splash guard holes holding the front of the skirt. Don't drill there is too much room for permanent damage.

dustinhurley
06-11-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm going to go to the body shop and look at some things. I don't know how I can mark where the clips are when the side skirt is taped to the body, with all the clips behind it. By the way, the $250 estimate was the maximum he thought it would be, it could be less. This is a professional body shop that has done a lot of excellent quality body work for me in the past. The owner is a friend of my family, I don't think he's trying to rip me off.

Just curious EP3_DC5, have you ever seen the backside of a JDM side skirt for the EP3?

dustinhurley
06-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
It is so much easier to use 3m brand acrylic tape made just for body cladding it's the same shit they use to hold escalade cladding and stuff like that on.

I was originally going to do that, but there really isn't a good place to put tape. You can't put it along the lines of the side skirt because they are too thin. You can't put it below the lines of the side skirt because then the tape wouldn't touch the body. I totally trust double sided tape. I just don't think there are good enough places for the tape in order for me to feel confident. However, I know some people have used tape. I think I'll take some detailed pics of the side skirts and then we can figure out the easiest way.

icegrill
06-12-2003, 12:08 AM
dustin---Deffinantly do that!!!!!! That would be sweet to see some close up shots of what is going to touch the car. I'm just holding off until I know exactly how I'm going to mount them. Show all the clips and the side that will touch the car. Very much appreciated!!:cool:

Suk02Si
06-12-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm not exactly sure how my body shop mounted the skirts. I gave them the skirts on a monday, and on tuesday the holes were drilled. If I stop by the shop with in the next couple days, I'll ask how they did it.

:)

william
06-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
dustin---Deffinantly do that!!!!!! That would be sweet to see some close up shots of what is going to touch the car. I'm just holding off until I know exactly how I'm going to mount them. Show all the clips and the side that will touch the car. Very much appreciated!!:cool:

I'm anxious to find out how they did it. Please post soon!

!@#$%
06-20-2003, 03:51 AM
if I were mounting the skirts this is how I would drill the holes.

I would take a slip of paper rectangle shape and place one end on the actual mark to drill. (where the mudgaurd would go) I would mark that spot on the paper. Then I would take a ruler and draw a line straight to the other side. After applying the tape and skirt, I would leave the end of the paper underneath the skirt. And drill re-marking on the skirt with a wipe off marker using the line from the paper. The line would lead directly back to the spot I previously marked. That probably sounds completely insane, but it is 5:50 am and i couldnt sleep all night. I need to start working mornings.

dustinhurley
06-20-2003, 02:29 PM
With work and school I haven't been able to get pics of the skirts yet. I will try to go Monday.

dustinhurley
06-23-2003, 02:24 PM
got the pics...go here

new thread (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16069)

Silvershadow
06-27-2003, 10:42 PM
EP3_DC5 :OEM CTRs come with the holes punched in @ Swindon.Si's DON"T.