PDA

View Full Version : Why does the new Si have a 2.0 Liter I-Vtec engine, but with only a 160hp???

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
I don't know about everyone else but Im a little pissed about the new engine. Its a 2.0 liter engine, so it should run faster and have more horsepower. But I still get beat by older hatchbacks who have a 1.6 B16A engine swap. What the FK???

Idonthaveahatch
06-20-2002, 12:32 PM
I was wondering that same thing .4 more liters, no more HP and a little bit more torque?:confused: :confused: :confused:

whiteSI09
06-20-2002, 12:46 PM
The motors in the new Si's are the base RSX engines. This car is built by Honda and apparently no Japanese car manufacturer wants to send anything spectacular over here(type R). Therefore we have the 2.0 base RSX engine which has 160hp....very good if you compare it to the engines that the 7th gen. Civics have(127 hp?).

If you really want the extra power you can consider the RSX-S engine since that is a pretty direct swap, one problem is the shift pattern but since it is a Honda there should be some aftermarket kit out soon to make it easy to swap a RSX-S engine into the EP.

Idonthaveahatch
06-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Thank you captain obvious.

whiteSI09
06-20-2002, 12:54 PM
You know, i was trying to help the community, not just you...

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 12:56 PM
I just bought a BRAND NEW Si...so why in the world would I wanna do an engine swap?? Im not a rich boy...cant afford that, but Im just ticked off... not trying to be rude.

whiteSI09
06-20-2002, 01:42 PM
I mean no offense by this but didn't you know the specs. of the car before you bought it? If you wanted more then 160 with a $19,000 car then perhaps maybe a Mustang or Camaro/Firebird would be substantial.

SmoothOperator
06-20-2002, 01:45 PM
It's a 2.0 putting out the same horsepower *stock* as the previous Si.
Now consider modifying it.....this car is completely corked up. We're going to notice much better gains per mod because of our engine. I'm dying to see the results after Intake, header, and exhaust are bolted on.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 02:39 PM
I did know all of the specs on the Si before I bought it. I whent to tons of sites retreiving specs etc... Im just saying that it should have as much horsepower as the type R engine since they are both the same size. Im just pissed that honda didnt do that. I have installed a AEM CAI the same week that it cam out, and yes I did notice a bigger gain in power then my older 1.6 liter Civic. I just hope that Greddy hurries up, and releases a catback, and whats up with DC Sports, are they gonna release headers anytime soon??

barcode
06-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Im just saying that it should have as much horsepower as the type R engine since they are both the same size.

the old si didn't put out CTR power so why should ours? the b16b made close to 190hp from a 1.6 but si owners weren't complaining...

Idonthaveahatch
06-20-2002, 04:13 PM
I think we are all just saying that because of the bigger displacement and the new I-VTEC you think there should be more horses in that motor, when a 1.6 made the same.

SpacemanSpiff
06-21-2002, 05:28 AM
In the latest Road&Track, they made the point that the new SI has more torque at 2000 RPM than the last one had at its peak. I'd rather have more low end torque than 10-15 extra hp at 7500 RPM. They wont give us the 200hp engine in the SI because it would compete with the top of the line RSX, and if they did it would cost a lot more. This engine is a lot more usable than my last honda. You don't have to be working the gears like a madman just to stay in the powerband.
Torque = :D

IceD out N CALI
06-21-2002, 10:18 AM
I agree with you in principle, honda could have made a more powerful engine out of our cars, but I have a feeeling there are more than jus one reason for this. 1) anymore torque and they'd have to make 5 lug spindles[doesnt fit the civic theme] 2) honda doesnt want to compete with RSX, 3) We dont know if the Type R engine makes strict emission laws4)who knows maybe it wouldnt be profitable for honda... jus some thoughts I could be wrong jus my opinion

SilverArrow
06-21-2002, 03:49 PM
The main reason I think that Honda made the Si only 160 HP is because of the Acura ordeal. They are not going to let their top of the line branch(Acura) get beat out by the bottom of the line(Honda). It's like if the Celica beat out the IS300 at the hella differnt price point. That is just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I like my engine alot. It's smooth, gentile and can get up and go. I sure beats out my previous 96 Grand AM GT with a 3.1L rated at 155HP.

xlr8
06-21-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
I agree with you in principle, honda could have made a more powerful engine out of our cars, but I have a feeeling there are more than jus one reason for this. 1) anymore torque and they'd have to make 5 lug spindles[doesnt fit the civic theme] 2) honda doesnt want to compete with RSX, 3) We dont know if the Type R engine makes strict emission laws4)who knows maybe it wouldnt be profitable for honda... jus some thoughts I could be wrong jus my opinion
the type r engine is the rsx s engine so it would meet emissions. 5 lugs arent needed on 700+hose power drag cars why would they be needed for 200. its just that noone would buy an rsx if there was a 200 hosre power civic with a nicer interior

SER Speedalot
06-21-2002, 05:16 PM
forget the swap.....didn't they just upgraid the cams and one other thing to bring the horsepower up on the rsx? i'm not sure on that. but i thought it wasn't majore mods. so you could do that instead of a full swap.

xlr8
06-21-2002, 05:18 PM
ive heard that we olny have a variable intake cam, the rsx s has both

IceD out N CALI
06-22-2002, 01:17 AM
either way, honda is weird about bringing their high performance over here-hopefully its sooner rather than later

CleanBlackSi02
06-22-2002, 07:48 AM
The engines are so similar, I'm sure with the right parts we'll be able to push the same WHP as a RSX Type S. Patience my friends...