PDA

View Full Version : Window down speeker sound sucks

siver-SI
06-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Ok this tital states it well. When I role down my window the farther it goes down the more the sound sucks. The lose all the base to them. They just sound flat. I think it is because with the window down the sound is coming out through the gap for the window. I do have after market speekers though I have the infinity referance. Just wondering how do I fix this.

Thanks

BarracksSi
06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Three things you can do:

1) Don't roll down the windows.

2) Get more power.

3) Get a sub.

This is acoustics at work, except it's working against you -- as far as opening windows.

Bass frequencies, because they are so low, also have a longer wavelength than higher frequencies. When they get low enough, they're actually longer than the interior of the car. When that happens, they're no longer bouncing around the interior -- they behave more as a compression-decompression of the air inside the car. This is why subbass frequencies are perceived so well inside a vehicle with even a modest system, while it's difficult to achieve the same result inside a home.

That's called "cabin gain." Pickup trucks have small passenger compartments, and appear to "gain" subbass at a higher frequency than sedans, hatchbacks, and vans.

With the windows shut, the interior -- or air chamber -- is sealed shut, and the acoustic compression/rarefication of the air occurs. With windows open, the bass frequencies are allowed to escape, and aren't going to be heard nearly as well as with closed windows.

That's just the way it's going to be.

swapp99
06-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok this tital states it well. When I role down my window the farther it goes down the more the sound sucks. The lose all the base to them. They just sound flat. I think it is because with the window down the sound is coming out through the gap for the window. I do have after market speekers though I have the infinity referance. Just wondering how do I fix this.

Thanks

Dynamat your DOORS!! You will get more bang for your bucks.... If you can DYNAMAT everything!!!

siver-SI
06-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Ok is ther a good place to get dynomat or something were I am not paying a lot more just for a name? Out by me there are not many places that I can find that have it at a good price. Most out by me want $30-40 for a role that will just do one door. :(

BarracksSi
06-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Other people around here have talked about using asphalt sheeting and/or the stuff they use under roof shingles (which may be the same thing.. or not).

Get some at Home Depot for a lot cheaper than Dynamat.

It should help clean up the speakers' sound a bit and reduce road noise, but won't change the bass response with the windows open.

swapp99
06-15-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Ok is ther a good place to get dynomat or something were I am not paying a lot more just for a name? Out by me there are not many places that I can find that have it at a good price. Most out by me want $30-40 for a role that will just do one door. :(

YEah Dynamat is Expensive. I use the Dynamat Extreme, I got it for $175 per bulk pack at the whole seller, reg price is $300. For my Ep It need two boxes to cover the doors, floor boards and trunk area. I even use it on the hatch lid and also the back of the license plate. I think you can look for a posting install of sound deading.
Try to locate a whole seller near you. Look for a down town area where your local shops get their stuff. If you dont want to spend alot of money, I have heard some people use some typeweather guard film.

Down side: EXPENSIVE, can make car heavier and time consuming to do right.

UP side: Better sound quality, less road noise and Db gain!!