PDA

View Full Version : Installing a wing CTR or the Mugen- JDM version... lots of pics

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:15 PM
I just got my Mugen Style adjustable Carbon Fiber Spoiler for my car today. Obviously, it was packaged AWESOME, (thanks Showstoppers!). I decided to try to take some pics and give directions to help anyone else that wants a "how to" on modifying a JDM spec wing for our cars.

Here is our wimpy USDM wing.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:16 PM
...and now, the pimpin' CF wing... since I am a girl, I don't think I am compensating for anything...;)

(This pic was taken AFTER we made the modification... close ups to follow)

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:19 PM
First things first, get that wing offa there- we removed the two outer screws first, that are visible as soon as you open your hatch. After that, remove the brake light trim/holder and remove the other two screws. The last two are actually UNDER the brake light, directly to the left and right of where the wire is coming out in the pic below.
6 10mm bolts and it's gone.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:22 PM
If you have the wing in front of you, you'll notice the two extra bolts on either end of the wing... this is where the modification comes in. I used a zipsaw and a dremel to get the extra fibercrap off. It's best to do a little bit at a time, and go to the car and check the fit. ALWAYS BETTER TO DO TOO LITTLE THAN TO DO TOO MUCH!!:)

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Next, we filled and fiberglassed over the holes we created... here are our ingredients...

Fiberglass cloth
Fiberglass body filler/resin
Fiberglass spreaders
Paint (just in case)
Cold beer
Expandable foam- GREAT STUFF!!

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Very important next step... crack open a cold one.:D

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Next I filled the hole about half way with "Great Stuff". It's expandable foam, pretty light weight... just make sure to only fill about half way. It will fill out, and any extra space can be filled later... this is how far we filled it.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:27 PM
After letting the foam sit for an hour, we filled the holes the rest of the way and prepped them for fiberglass. I used the plastic packing material (it's waterproof). Here is a pic of the foam, expanded...

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:28 PM
Here is a packed hole, ready to cover...

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Next, depending on the type of fiberglass you got, you have to mix the actually filler with the hardner. Once this is done, put a coat on the filled hole.
Cut a piece of fiberglass cloth to fit over the filled hole, and lay it on top.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Next, paint on the fiberglass. Take care of as many frayed edges as you can, by either cutting, or folding over. (This is my first attempt at fiberglass, so don't laugh!!):D
Here is a picture, mid process....

Makross
06-11-2003, 09:34 PM
lookin good i know you aint done with the pics keep em comiin thanks

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Here is a pic of the wing, ready to dry after being fiberglassed.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:36 PM
OK- well today we had about 100% humidity, and it took about an hour and forty minutes to dry... once dry enough that you can tap on it and feel it firm, start sanding. You may have a bit of tackiness on top, but sand that film away to get to the dry stuff... here is what my wing looked like after being sanded.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Once you have it sanded to satisfaction, check again for fit. Once it fits correctly, reinstall the wing, making sure to use the rubber stickies that go with the screws to keep water out of your hatch.
Here is the one pic I could get of the new wing before the thunderstorm set in. More pics of the car to follow.:D

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Hope that comes in useful to people, it wasn't very hard, drying time is all that slowed us down. :)
I have never bought body mods for a car before (hell I never modded a car before), but I am incredibly impressed with how well this fits and lines up. Just check out Rocky's car, the fit is stock along the seam of the hatch. Thanks everyone!

Makross
06-11-2003, 09:47 PM
tight:) 5 stars for a job well done

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Makross- thanks man!! :D Can't wait to take more pics of it. Definitely worth the 389$ shipped to MD!! Glad you like the "how to".;)

Jpax
06-11-2003, 10:05 PM
sweet beer and mods, throw in some boobies and its a great day.

EPHatchgirl
06-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Pax- I would never let you down... just for you...Boobies and beer!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pe3bf9a37e492f58a6719d69d875598ab/fbf1d2f0.jpg

This ones for you!

the JigGa mAn
06-11-2003, 11:39 PM
looks bad ass...im thinking about getting the CF Type R wing too..since my Si is black i think its better than getting a OEM Type R wing..save weight..and its the same color...very nice how-to...when i get the wing ill refer back to this:)

chubbychu
06-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Man you are so cool! i envy you! what do you do for a living? sell drugs? lol well, now if i need help i know who to go to

Suk02Si
06-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Nice write up!

We got lazy with SpeedRacer's and Rocky's wing so we didn't fill the emptyness:D

My body shop is modding mine for me, so I hope they filled it for me

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 04:53 AM
Plainol'- I do Ebay stuff.... that COULD be like dealing I guess, if you think about it.;)

Suk- I want updates on your wing buddy!

BlackNRedSi
06-12-2003, 07:42 AM
what was the point in cutting 2 holes on either end of the wing? you said something about bolts? was it becuaes of the bolts you cut holes?

sorry lost you for a second (not your fault prolly mine! :) ) anyways nice examples!

Eric

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 08:12 AM
Nah, it's that there are two very raised bolt holes and a raised section that will not allow your wing to sit on the hatch correctly. It's to make it fit nice and snug.:D

As soon as you have one in front of you, and you try to fit it to the hatch, you'll see. I was confused when reading other people's posts about it until I got mine, also.;)

BlackNRedSi
06-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Gotcha! thank god i am good with fiberglass ! :)

anywho, yeah i dont think i am getting that one, i love it on your ep..but i am going to go with the WW top wing and WW mid wing...

i know i know, alot of people dont like the WW one, but i for one do, i think it will look good on a black EP...

prolly get the wings painted Black faiding to a red tip, i dont know tho, cause i need someone to do a photoshop for me, havent found anyone to do it for me! :(

Good job tho girlie!

Eric

RiCeCoOkEr1280
06-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Is there a spot on there for a Mugen emblem?

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 08:34 AM
BlacknRedSI- thanks again! I think the WW would be good, if JUST to be original. You don't see as many of those. Keep me posted!

Ricecooker- Yes there is, and I think I am going to have to use it. ;)

RiCeCoOkEr1280
06-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks... And nice "How to"... Car looks good too...

jerky
06-12-2003, 10:00 AM
good thread. thanks for taking the time to do this. i have a silver ep and i want that wing too. more pics please.:)

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey man, thanx- I LOVE YOUR ICON... I may have to steal.. er borrow it from you at some point.;) LINK RULZ!

I am uploading some new pics to my members rides section. Check there soon... but to whet your whistle... you'll love how it looks.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p01f46a3a82e05b3ee04cedee2a418c61/fbf0f6d8.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p00178299d48fcccc2ba5f09406ed7ba0/fbf0f7ea.jpg

jerky
06-12-2003, 12:08 PM
thanks for the pics. go ahead and use it if you want. couple of questions... how do you have the wing adjusted? and do you think the wing would be ok if we didn't fill in the hole? i might get lazy when i get the wing.:)

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I don't believe Showstoppersusa filled either of the two that they installed, should be fine, I guess it's just a personal preference... that way, it only takes like 20 minutes. I am just paranoid about water sitting in there. I have mine adjusted the way it came, the wing is the most straight... from how it looks, you can tilt the part closest to the hatch down to create more drag, and I didn't want to do that... someone please correct me if I am wrong...

By the way- Thanks fellow Link lover, consider it used...;)

Suk02Si
06-12-2003, 03:32 PM
We were in a hurry with SpeedRacer's and Rocky's wing so they have big holes:D

We adjusted Speed's wing for more downforce, looks pretty cool;)

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Which setting gives the most downforce?

jerky
06-12-2003, 03:48 PM
you seem to have the inside info on those showstopper guys, suk. do you mind pming me when they get another shipment of the cf mugen wings? i want one. i am in socal so i can roll over there. thanks.

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 04:23 PM
I wish I knew, I think he said in about a month. I would check the web to get their email- that's the best way- or just give them a ring... www.showstoppersusa.com

They are great guys, and very fair, and very helpful. I am in Maryland, they are in CA, so I think you'd have better luck than me!!;)

Brettnyt
06-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Thas purdy bitchin!!!! Great How to.... I really like the nightime shot of it... :)

ShowstoppersUSA
06-12-2003, 06:08 PM
AWESOME!!!

Yes we are lazy when it comes to our own stuff!!! We didnt fill the wing at all. I like the way yo did that, real nice and clean... Love the rims too, and all in approx 2 months... WOW! Showstopper in the making... Thanks for the DIY, saves me from having to explain

GREAT CAR
GREAT JOB

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

BlackNRedSi
06-12-2003, 06:21 PM
EPHATCHGIRL should be the SHOWSTOPPERSusa of the month! :) :) :)

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 09:27 PM
;) ;) Well, I am tryin';) ;) ...

But seriously, do you know WHAT A KICK I got out of making this DIY? I'll put 'em up as I continue to mod, because it feels REALLY good to help you guys, as many newbie questions as I have asked!!!:D

Speaking of newbie questions- do I wax this thing, or just wash??? What's the best cleaning method???:D

Suk02Si
06-12-2003, 10:24 PM
You should be able to wash/wax it like anything else; it has a clear coat:)

Speck
06-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Man... I hate you... I really really do... ;-)

OK, I am saving up and getting parts in the next few months or so... Time to sell off some computer parts :)

Wanna hook up, i could use guidence and help.... I provide the beer and you provide the boob..... errr, I mean knowledge :)

-=speck=-

RockEP_SS**
06-13-2003, 11:50 AM
Nice work!! Looks cleaner than mines! Maybe I'll have to get Gary over here so we can futz with mine *Hint ;) .LOL! Thanks for the great DIY, it does save us plenty of explaining to do on the phones. As for more wings, we're supposed to be gettin a shipment today so call in and check with us. Thanks a billion EPHatchgirl!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

EPHatchgirl
06-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Rocky- NO PROBLEM!!:D

Speck- Whenever, whereever, I'll be happy to provide my "knowledge".;)

Speck
06-13-2003, 02:31 PM
* This member would have posted, but unfortunately.... he fainted*

You got it. Soon as I get the wife to ignore the bank balance for a bit ;-)

-=speck=-

klik
06-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Yayyyy Chuck from showstopper is savin 1 for me, ima call back tomorrow for the payment, cant wait for this wing

Suk02Si
06-14-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
Nice work!! Looks cleaner than mines! Maybe I'll have to get Gary over here so we can futz with mine *Hint ;) .LOL! Thanks for the great DIY, it does save us plenty of explaining to do on the phones. As for more wings, we're supposed to be gettin a shipment today so call in and check with us. Thanks a billion EPHatchgirl!

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

That's fine, just as long as Iman doesn't want us to do his too:mad: :D

civic2002
07-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi i cant get to see the pics :(( Any chance someone can tell me were to find them? Thanx for your help