PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Newbie

kenis138
06-12-2003, 05:50 AM
Ok, i know jack shit about this stuff, anyone feel like providing a little tutorial? I know how and why nitrous works and makes yer car go faster, but I have no idea about the implementation of a system. I am looking to go a route that is EASY and cheap, prolly just running a 50 shot. Any recommendations? What other components besides the kit would I need? Lastly: Is it legal to have hooked up on the street?

ssvr6
06-12-2003, 07:15 AM
All nitrous kits claim to be 50 state legal however, you may have local laws that say that you can't have it hooked up on the street or something like that. Do some research.

As for the kit...

It's a basic wet shot. You'll have a single fogger that will tap into your intake piping (about 6 to 8" from the TB). That fogger has 2 outlets, 1 for N2O and 1 for fuel.

There are some solenoids that get lines run to them and they run lines to the fogger.

The N2O comes from the trunk where your bottle is. The fuel gets tapped from your fuel rail or the feed to it. These lines run to the solenoids.

There's some wiring involved for the solenoids and the switch (a micro switch that opens at WOT (wide open throttle) is the way to go. There's also an activation switch that arms the entire system.

Here's the break down.

You arm the system. You slam the pedal to the floor (activating the WOT switch). The solenoids are open and fuel and nitrous run to the fogger. The fogger has little brass "pills" that control the flow (they're what determine the size of the shot). After all that, you just added 50hp.

It's a little vauge but gives you a general idea.

Things I recommend you getting with the basic kit:

2 degree colder plugs
Nitrous Pressure gauge that can be seen IN the car
Air Fuel Gauge
Remote bottle opener
Purge kit
Bottle Warmer

The first 3 I highly recommend, the others are "iffy". The bottle warmer may be needed for those in colder climates.

Steve

smokincivic
06-12-2003, 11:19 AM
It's pretty much completely legal to have in your car in RI, however they can slap some extra fines on if they catch you spraying on public roads besides the fines that you will be getting for speeding\racing\etc

kenis138
06-13-2003, 05:47 AM
sweet, thanks for the info man. So how difficult is setup?

ssvr6
06-13-2003, 06:47 AM
Expect to drop around $1k for the kit and about $300+ to have it installed.

Steve

smokincivic
06-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Setup of the components isnt that hard at all if you have moderate automotive experience, the hardest part by far (for me anyway) is setting up all the electrical BS there are a couple of circuits that if not set up right could be devastating. If you are pretty versed with electronics then I would say dont sweat it and install it yourself, I had a buddy of mine do all my wiring and show me step by step what he was doing and why. good luck

Vertigo
06-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Nice tutorial Steve. Smokincivic your right. Wiring up all the swiches, remote bottle opener, bottle heater and relays is the hardest part of the install. I'd go with an N/X Gen 2 kit. Plus the instruction manual tells you everything that you will ever need to know.

ssvr6
06-14-2003, 08:10 PM
I'd be most scared of the fuel. The electrical was a breeze on the dry kit I had on my VR6.

Steve

Vertigo
06-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Is it the cuting of the fuel line that scares you? I don't have a kit on my ep yet, but are you able to tap into the end of the fuel rail?

smokincivic
06-18-2003, 11:28 AM
you can definitly tap into the stock fuel rail but I think most people are going with the AEM which has a built in tap for nitrous, I'm not positive on this though.

oh and in response to Steve... I'm not saying that the electrical is the hardest part just that I have limited electrical experience and that was definitly what sketched me out the most

GeNoZiDe
06-19-2003, 06:01 PM
grr in Ontario they ve jus recently outlawd nitrous hooked up in cars and also u have to have this lil sticker if ur transportting it
gay ass Canadian laws

smokincivic
06-19-2003, 07:23 PM
grr in Ontario they ve jus recently outlawd nitrous hooked up in cars and also u have to have this lil sticker if ur transportting it

ya but if your good at installs you can easily hide the noids, bottle can go under the seat or you can make a "custom" center console, and I bet most cops dont even know what a nitrous nozzle looks like. that is pretty sucky though

or you could always just run your own return fuel line and run a NOS sneaky pete setup with a 5lb bottle, thats pretty stealth.

GeNoZiDe
06-19-2003, 07:25 PM
ya i was planning on something like that LOL under the seat!
whats up with that new Zex Air Filter with the nozzle on the end for the nitrous?
anyone try that or heard of that yet?

2k2ep
07-02-2003, 03:34 PM
dont use that air filter. you want as little space as possible between the throttle body and the nozzle if its wet. unless when the intake backfires you'd like to see explosions.

smokincivic
07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 2k2ep
dont use that air filter. you want as little space as possible between the throttle body and the nozzle if its wet. unless when the intake backfires you'd like to see explosions.

the zex air filter thing is dry not wet like all other crap zex products :angel: