PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber- to wax or not to wax?

EPHatchgirl
06-12-2003, 08:32 AM
THAT IS THE QUESTION!!

Now this may sound dumb, but there is obviously a clear coat on my wing, do I want to wax it? What is the best method to clean carbon fiber???

Anyone's help is most appreciated.
Julie

todaCspec
06-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Wax on and Wipe off. You should if you want that extra shine. Which products to use? I'm still trying to figure that out myself.

Bushido
06-13-2003, 08:08 AM
i wax mine all the time.. looks shinier in my opinion..

BlasTech
06-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Waxing will help protect it from the sun's UV rays...less yellowing over the years.

EPHatchgirl
06-13-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys!! I like using Mother's cleaner wax on my car.... so I'll stick with that for the wing... I appreciate the help!

BlackNRedSi
06-13-2003, 08:32 AM
use mothers wax, then polish it with stage 2 mothers...cant beat mothers wax!!!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
use mothers wax, then polish it with stage 2 mothers...cant beat mothers wax!!!

Polish FIRST, THEN wax (unless Mother's is different?).
polish = clean/shine.
wax = protect.

BlackNRedSi
06-13-2003, 09:01 AM
WOW! I am off today, JEZUS! good catch adam!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
WOW! I am off today, JEZUS! good catch adam!

hehe, we all have brain farts, just wanted to make sure Mother's wasnt re-inventing like 100 years of auto detailing...lol.

Zigen5
06-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Have you guys tried Zymol? It a blue wax that works very well!! You can get it at Walmart. Its not cheap either, its about $12 a bottle. But I think its worth it!!! Try it...

EPHatchgirl
06-14-2003, 07:19 AM
I bought some, haven't gotten to try it yet, but I definitely will. Thanks!!!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Zigen5
Have you guys tried Zymol? It a blue wax that works very well!! You can get it at Walmart. Its not cheap either, its about $12 a bottle. But I think its worth it!!! Try it...

Zymol is ok, but if you want the absolute best:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Karim
06-20-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

Zymol is ok, but if you want the absolute best:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

WERD

JBS02
06-25-2003, 05:40 PM
You may want to check out Zymol Detail Wax (www.zymol.com/detwax2.htm - don't know how to create a link). It is a carnauba-based wax that does not contain silicones or solvents which are said to be bad for some coatings. I have not tried the Detail, but use the original Zymol wax (Creme formulation) on my Silver EP. Be aware that the Zymol sold in most auto parts stores is not the original Zymol (pricy) and is a combination cleaner-wax. I prefer to clean and wax in separate steps.

My experience with carnauba wax is that while it does not last very long, it produces a deep, brilliant shine.

soniccar
07-07-2003, 07:20 PM
You guys probably already figured it out that any really good carnauba wax is excellent on carbon fiber. I like Mother's paste wax in the can simply because it lasts the longest. Mother's Plastic polish will remove the scratches and bugs. I've used every wax made in the past 20 years. Just use any carnauba that is a wax, not a polish on carbon resin. Liquid glass and other polymer/synthetic waxes will pit/discolor the resins. It's basically plastic, fellas, treat it like your headlights. Plexus is beautiful on carbon, but must be applied every wash.

makavelibranded
09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
once again a 7 year old thread

Passenger
09-06-2010, 09:43 PM
So... the in-dash carbon is the same? wax that with the same wax you use on the car?

You don't need to wax or even wash that. Just wipe it down with a wet cloth. I haven't done a thing but dust mine in 5 years and it hasnt faded cause its faux c/f

EP3tuner410
10-28-2010, 06:43 PM
once again a 7 year old thread

"If i ain't seen it, it's new to me!"

LOL

Charlie Manson quote from Family Guy!!!

sLiCk
10-28-2010, 07:10 PM
Anything that is clearcoated can be waxed/sealed in case somebody out there is still wondering.

EP3tuner410
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Again i know these are old threads but just to let you guys know that if it's new from the factory than you are good to was as soon as you want.

If it's fresh from a paint ship than it's always best to give the clear and activator time to catalyze.

I never suggest waxing a car or panel that's been freshly painted until a months time has passed.

Better safe than sorry!