PDA

View Full Version : well my tranny is gone...

mental
06-12-2003, 02:30 PM
well guys my tranny is gone and honda says they will replace. here are the details...
1,2,3,4, gear synchros and synchronizers are out and some of the teeth of the 2 and 4 gear sychronizers are missing. honda says the only reason they are fixing is becuase i brought my car in at 6000 miles and complained about the 4 gear having trouble!!! but wait heres the part where i get fucked! honda showed us the clutch, fly wheel, and through out bearing all of which are pretty much fucked! the fly wheel and clutch have hot spots on them and the clutch has gotten sooo hot that it is discolored! soo guess what honda says i have to replace the clutch and flywheel and clutch pressure plate and through out bearing myself!!! and they are claiming that i have to put only honda parts back in!!! does that seem right? that if i have to replace i should be able to what ever the hell i want!!! right? well the service manager at honda is saying i have to buy only honda OEM products to replace it! so i told him fuck that and to just put the old clutch back in and i will drive it to another shop and do that shit on my own time and then he procceeded to say that if we did so he would void the warranty on the entire drive train!!! thats bullshit!! dont i have some rights in this matter some help me out!!! thanx guys

MYEP3
06-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Bumper to bumper means bumper to bumper...Honda is liable for your clutch. It is covered under warrenty. The service manager is just trying to save a buck. Raise some hell.

MYEP3
06-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Bumper to bumper means bumper to bumper...Honda is liable for your clutch. It is covered under warrenty. The service manager is just trying to save a buck. Raise some hell.

shimmy_yaz
06-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Bumper to Bumper does not cover parts that show signs of missuse or abuse. Just cuz you manage to break it don't make them responsible to fix it.

MYEP3
06-12-2003, 03:35 PM
true...true...I just talked to Honda and if there are signs of missuse or abuse then they will 98% not fix it. They said clutches should last at least 100g's. Go for a 6-puck with a sprung hub<-bad ass clutch

Mugen_EP
06-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MYEP3
true...true...I just talked to Honda and if there are signs of missuse or abuse then they will 98% not fix it. They said clutches should last at least 100g's. Go for a 6-puck with a sprung hub<-bad ass clutch

Thats too much of an agressive clutch for a daily driver, well for some people. I had a Clutch Masters stage 4 in my EG and it was great but its NOT for everyone;)

MYEP3
06-12-2003, 04:18 PM
yeah, I had an RPS 6-puck with a sprung hub in my JDM B16 and it was the sheezy

02NJHondaep3
06-12-2003, 07:22 PM
i've never driven an aftermarket clutch. whats the difference? does it grab in different spots?

ep pilot
06-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 02nighthawksivi
i've never driven an aftermarket clutch. whats the difference? does it grab in different spots?

The pedal feel is typically firmer, also it will typically bite a lot harder and yeild a higher threshold before it smokes or becomes liquified....(joking) anyway, they are great if you race or auto-X but you may become tired of the firmness if it's going on your daily driver.

To te author, I used to work for Honda service way back in '98, anyhow, the dealership does not come out-of-pocket if a product fails while under warranty. What does this mean.....? The Manager does not care about having to pay for your clutch assy, in fact most service departments hate it when people bring cars in for service that have modifications, it's not the fact you've got them on there, or that "Honda" doesn't like them.....It just makes the car more difficult for the writer & tech since an AEM CAI is not listed in the labor books nor are custom side skirts and other modifications. Saying that you have to pay for it, or that Honda will not cover it is an easy way of avoiding secondary warranty related claims, like look ma my check eng light is on now? WTF it wasn't like that when I brought it in? .........All i am saying is how you approach the service dept depends on how they treat you. I made sure I met the service dept when I got my car...even told the manager all of my plans for it.....I've got is back-up if I ever have any warranty issues w/ my car. If you go in and be a dick....will you did just screw yourself.

-Ryan

SinisterCivicSi
06-12-2003, 07:50 PM
now be honest, how hard were you driving this car? just between us?

k20hatch
06-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Man i went through the same thing...and now im on my second...it sucks...but its been perfect ever since...

l33t
06-12-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah honda replaced mine, now my clutched pedal makes some kind of weird clicking sound, it will still scratch going into 2nd if i slam it in, and i get some random clicking sounds form my engine bay while i drive now, and when i took it in honda voided my transmission warranty and i had to pay for the gay ass honda clutch that doesn't work, i am not buying a new honda ever again because of all this bs

black87regal
06-12-2003, 08:11 PM
the fly wheel and clutch have hot spots on them and the clutch has gotten sooo hot that it is discolored!

damn man, stop using the clutch to hold the car on hills.

mental
06-12-2003, 08:46 PM
in all honesty SINISTER i havent driven it that hard at all!!! we have been to the track a total of 2 times and i dont race on the street that much soo i dont have any clue why that hell this has happened sooo soon that and honda is only replacing the tranny because i took it in a while ago with the same problem only when i took it in the 1st time they didnt tear down the tranny they just worked it over really hard till it went in gear! but the clutch however they are blaming on me! which kinda sucks.. lol but i did find out however that some one makes a really good flywheel and clutch package for our cars!!!:D the kit comes from a lil company called COMPETITION CLUTCHES and supposedly the former CEO of clutch masters is the guys who started it... which makes me believe they should be okay... that and the fact that the shop i got to no longer even sells ACT or CLUTCH MASTERS they only sell COMPETITION CLUTCHES! soooo well see how things go!!! if i can i will take pics and post them for you guys too see i am going over to honda tommorow ohh and they gave a fucken DAEWOO as a rental.. and dam does it blow dick!!!!

Silver Bullet
06-12-2003, 08:53 PM
How many miles on your car.

cbecker333
06-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mudokon
yeah honda replaced mine, now my clutched pedal makes some kind of weird clicking sound, it will still scratch going into 2nd if i slam it in, and i get some random clicking sounds form my engine bay while i drive now, and when i took it in honda voided my transmission warranty and i had to pay for the gay ass honda clutch that doesn't work, i am not buying a new honda ever again because of all this bs

Send a letter Honda of America or go to their website and find out how you can complain. If it wasn't abuse, and they can't prove it was, then they can not legally void your warranty.

ep pilot
06-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by mental
top speed =140 and climbing
looking to make 160 by summer 2003

I just wondering how you got our Ep to do 140? Mine seems to be out of gear just past 132...... I've tried to peg it down hill but the rev-limiter cuts the car back at about 134ish but surely not even near 140?

-Ryan

mental
06-13-2003, 09:52 AM
we got it to about 137 and the needle looked really really close to 140 so we just rounded it off.. .lol sorry for the confusion... the most we have ever done is 137 and i am pretty sure thats the most you can do in a stock si! however with the hondata intake header and exhuast i am sure you can slowly climb to 145 150 range...

SinisterCivicSi
06-13-2003, 11:45 AM
well it sounds like you got this whole clutch thing figured out by going aftermarket. i was goign to suggest contacting american honda regarding the local lemon laws in your state....that will get their attention. if they think they can get over they will try. they tried the same shit when my short block needed to be replaced. they were trying to see if my story would change and if i was abusing my car - well i have a new short block now and its perfect. i contacted american honda, sent them a formal letter that i got on the internet under the consumer rights page and filled in all the necessary info. dont sit back and bytch about it, do something.