PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mileage with Hondata?

Quicksilver
06-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Now that at least a dozen people on this board have the Hondata ECU flash done, I have a question for you. Since they're remapped the fuel tables and are getting better efficiency in the engine, has your gas mileage gone up at all? I'm guessing you're tending to want to gun it and take it all the way up to the higher redline, but certainly there must have been a few tanks of gas that were under what were your normal driving conditions. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about getting the flash done to my car, but am hoping that there will be some payoff in gas milage for having to switch to 91 octane. I'm guessing that, like most products, the change would be nominal, but you don't know unless you ask.

Thanks ahead,
Kurtis

EP3_DC5
06-12-2003, 06:55 PM
I have it for my RSX-S and if you drive sanely, your fuel economy WILL in fact go up. But what's the fun in that???:D

ep3guy
06-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Better gas mileage here also.

Quicksilver
06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
It's good to hear that there's a noticible difference in gas mileage. How much better are we talking? 1/2 mpg? 2 mpg?

EP3_DC5
06-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
It's good to hear that there's a noticible difference in gas mileage. How much better are we talking? 1/2 mpg? 2 mpg?

lol.......just get the damn flash, you'll love it! =) If the K20A3 flash is anything like the K20A2 flash, it's WELL worth it. Smoother, more useable powerband, more power, higher redline, better fuel economy. You won't regret it. Trust the people that have it.:cool:

2k2_nbp_egg
06-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Shit man I'm still jizzing over your MR paint.......do you have the black leather seats too?

Haha anyway, it'd make sense that if you drive w/ MPG in mind that it would go up. I know if I get it however that my MPG would....probably end up hitting the shitter. Right now I usually end up getting around 20-26, w/ a little under 300 miles to the tank. How are you hondata'd characters doing?

p.s. any driving tips for better mileage?

EP3_DC5
06-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
Shit man I'm still jizzing over your MR paint.......do you have the black leather seats too?

Haha anyway, it'd make sense that if you drive w/ MPG in mind that it would go up. I know if I get it however that my MPG would....probably end up hitting the shitter. Right now I usually end up getting around 20-26, w/ a little under 300 miles to the tank. How are you hondata'd characters doing?

p.s. any driving tips for better mileage?

Word!
Don't floor it, redline it or take it past 4K. Drive your car as if you are breaking it in. Your mileage will go up significantly. I have found that with Hondata my low end torque has significantly gone up, so I don't have to rev as high. I usually get 300 miles to the tank, 11 gallons....so that averages out to roughly 27mpg combined city and highway. I drive aggressively most of the time.

Steve02Si
06-13-2003, 11:22 AM
I always get over 300 miles on a tank, averages out to around 30-32 usually. I've gotten as high as 36mpg on a tank, but that might have been a fluke. it'll be nice if the Hondata increases mileage. I just can't afford to have the car down for several days to do it :(

EP3_DC5
06-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
I always get over 300 miles on a tank, averages out to around 30-32 usually. I've gotten as high as 36mpg on a tank, but that might have been a fluke. it'll be nice if the Hondata increases mileage. I just can't afford to have the car down for several days to do it :(

Just borrow someone's car for 2 days. I sent my ecu out Monday before 6pm pickup, and got it back Wednesday morning before 10:30 am.

2k2_nbp_egg
06-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Steve02Si

I thought we had a 13 gallon tank? I usually get roughly 260-280, so that would be around......21 mpg....on a civic....goddamn maybe I get on it too much. I know shifting early is bad for your mpg....what else could be killing my mpg? Something wrong w/ my oil or ignition system?

Steve02Si
06-15-2003, 03:16 PM
How many gallons does it take to fill? I rarely put more than 11 in when it's empty on the gauge and the fuel light's on.

2k2_nbp_egg
06-15-2003, 03:24 PM
Owner's manual says 13, and the light is supposed to come on when there's 3 gallons left. I average that out to around 60 miles so I usually push it a little, but that's even better for you if you've only been using 11 gallons per fill up. I personally have pushed it to where my car was filled up w/ almost 13 gallons, so I'm pretty sure the manual is right.

redronin22
06-15-2003, 08:10 PM
I average 25 mpg with mostly city. If i go highway only i can hit almost 300 so thats about right. i hit 7000+ rpms often so if i drove like a granny an shifted at 3.5 k im sure i could very well see much better mileage.