PDA

View Full Version : Shifter problems revisited...

cbecker333
06-13-2003, 07:40 AM
For those who didn't see the previous posts:
Basically my shifter was getting chunky, particularly in cold weather it was performing bad. My car has about 15,000 miles now. I got the transmission fluid replaced and I switched back to the stock shifter. I noticed a positive change within a day or two and at some point the transmission felt like brand new again - I was completely giddy.

Well, now that has passed and it is rapidly getting to be the same as it was before. Especially on the first few shifts of the day, no matter how slow I move the shifter, I get a "kerchunk" when it goes into gear and I can feel multiple notches instead of one polite "click". Even when the car is warmed up the shifts are not completely satisfying - I rarely get the one smooth "click" I was feeling before. Downshifting to 2nd just plain sucks sometimes - I have to apply pressure once or twice before it moves into gear. Getting the car into 1st from a complete stop is also harder than it was just days ago. I have a feeling that when winter comes it will get very bad (again), and hopefully I can convince honda to do something serious to fix it.

2k2ep
06-13-2003, 08:34 AM
let's get a count of who has this prob (i do) and do something about it so honda might recall it.

cbecker333
06-13-2003, 08:50 AM
is your car an '02? Mine is '02 - it might also be interesting to know if '03s are having the same problem I am.....

PAsi
06-13-2003, 10:14 AM
mine is chunky too, 02 Si

streaker666
06-13-2003, 10:48 AM
My shifter is notchy...and the friggin thing is that it doesn't do it all the time...very inconsistent...and mine is an 2002.

cbecker333
06-13-2003, 11:03 AM
Yeah mine is pretty inconsistent too. Sometimes it still feels pretty good. Sometimes the car is fully warmed up and it still acts up.

I'm headed on vacation for a few days, hope we can get people to post and get a count, as was suggested above.

PAsi
06-13-2003, 11:49 AM
VOTE IN THIS POLL SO WE CAN GET A COUNT!!!
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15452

BlasTech
06-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Some of the RSX folks are switching over to metal shifter bushings ( a $20 mod ) so the shift "falls into place" even if you pull/push it slightly off center.

I guess the idea is that the stock rubber/poly bushings will let you tug in the wrong direction and get hung up, and that makes me think maybe theres just a lubrication issue in there, and the off-center shifts end up taking thier toll on the synchros

Personally I have to "fight" for fourth gear from time to time, but I always feel like its my fault.

Here's the shifter bushings at clubrsx: http://store.clubrsx.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CR&Product_Code=54300-DC5-000