PDA

View Full Version : Bond from doing oilchanges urself

furious
06-13-2003, 12:19 PM
My odometer hit 2400 today and I went out and got some Mobil-1 to change the oil (my first time with the EP). So much satisfaction in spending the quality time with my EP...NOBODY will ever do a job that I can handle!

Any one else out there go with Mobil 1 0w-20? 4.77 a bottle is a freakin killa, but it is the closest to OE...so I caved.

Quick note (incase no one else have posted this): off the passenger front wheel - after draining...makes life sooooo much easier to change the oil filter from the wheel well, but becareful...use a jackstand or you might lose a few body parts ;)

IownAmaxima
06-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Why 0w-20? You live in mass so it's not because of the heat... oil that's too thin is just as bad as oil that's too thick. What does your car manual recommend?

fsugatorbait
06-13-2003, 12:43 PM
5w-20

idrive
06-13-2003, 12:49 PM
0w-20 is like water...

im in CA
just put mobile 1 5w-30 supersyn
the engine revs very happily
and im not concerned with it being too thin

fsugatorbait
06-13-2003, 01:01 PM
sorry if this is a newb question, but...could someone explain what the 1st and 2nd numbers correlate to with oil weight and viscosity. ie. whats the difference between 0w-20 and 5w-30?

furious
06-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by IownAmaxima
Why 0w-20? You live in mass so it's not because of the heat... oil that's too thin is just as bad as oil that's too thick. What does your car manual recommend?

http://www.flasia.info/news/news_article2.htm#Nov05_mobil

IownAmaxima
06-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by furious

http://www.flasia.info/news/news_article2.htm#Nov05_mobil neat, but you can say all those things about supersyn 5w-30 as well.

so why did you pick 0w-20?

furious
06-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Very true...of course though I don't know enough about thermal dynamics to tell the diff between 0w and 5w.

I picked the 0w-20 because it actually lists Honda Civic along with many other Hondas. It also mentions specifically that it is meant to substitute the 5w-20 that is desired by the specs.

I have also read that 5w-20 would be what you put into the EP according to specs if it was conventional oil. If going synthetic, 0w-20.

I don't have a strong case for it...but since it don't really cost any more than 10w-30, 5w-30,...or the like, I figure it inspires good confidence:)

JSIR
06-13-2003, 02:38 PM
that is a very good oil, well built, good additive package, good synthetic oil If you are going to use a 20 weight oil I would use that one over any other 5w-20 conventional oils on the shelf or at the dealer. Don't sweat the 0 rating,that just helps the oil flow quicker at start up. That oil is almost a thin 30 weight oil, should work good in your car. If you ever get the chance have the oil analyzed before you dump it at the next oil change and see how she held up. We are finding that many of these 20 weight oils are actaully performing quite well with low wear numbers. I've got reference to a Ford Lighting that used 5w-20 conventional oil with very low wear numbers, quite amazing for such a brute engine which is put under hard use.

I hope to see more oil test results of this oil in the near future as it is just coming to market in most parts of the country.

BTW, if you get the right oil filter wrench you can remove it from above the engine bay like I do, no need to get under the car or remove the wheel, do the work from above. much easier.

Joey