PDA

View Full Version : question for those that are dropped...

trabadoo22
06-13-2003, 10:53 PM
I want to get 17" wheels and tires, but I just saw a pic of the si with 17's and no drop. To say the least it looked like a monster truck. So I deffinitly want to drop my car 1.5-2". I'm curious though are you using performance shocks if you have springs? I plan on getting some shocks like koni, or going with full coilovers later on but I can't afford them now with buying wheels and springs and most likely a camber kit. So should I wait for the drop until I can get shocks, or coilovers or would it be okay for a while with just springs? Thanks.

chubbychu
06-14-2003, 12:31 AM
seeing as how there isnt an ep specific shock yet (right?) a lot of owners DO NOT HAVE THE spring/ SHOCK combo...just springs. For most of the springs that are out for our car...progress, sportlines, prokits, tein....your shocks should hold for a while.

trabadoo22
06-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Thanks. I saw most people were doing that when I did a thread search. I suppose I should have done that before I posted. Thanks though.

02TafWhtSi
06-14-2003, 11:36 AM
yeah - and the less aggressive of a drop yiu get the longer the OEM shocks will last. Example - I've had my Pro-kits (1" drop) on for 9 months without problems or excessive wear :)

Civicvtec1ps
06-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
yeah - and the less aggressive of a drop yiu get the longer the OEM shocks will last. Example - I've had my Pro-kits (1" drop) on for 9 months without problems or excessive wear :)
how many finger gaps do you have all around . any pics?
i went with tein ss full coilovers on my last car. i loved it . sold it just because i needed money for trade in(EP)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid59/pae05ede00e99b6a78e2d3fa427b75371/fc5ab0f2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pf819752394031335218b433a7df6cd61/fc54f9c5.jpg
awww i MISS my drop

EnJaNir
06-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Koni makes an app specific for our car, however for the fronts you need to reuse the stock housing because its an insert.

Im going Koni route as soon as my stocks are dead

Im using GC coilovers with a modest 3" drop
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/BLKSVX92/8841.jpg

SinisterCivicSi
06-14-2003, 05:05 PM
i have 17's w/ 215/40's and neuspeed race, which is a 2inch drop. rides like a dam truck on rough roads but other than that she's schmoove. :D

trabadoo22
06-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Nice. Thanks for the pics everyone. I still havn't decided which springs to get. It's either H&R sport, Tein, or Progress springs.

02TafWhtSi
06-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
how many finger gaps do you have all around . any pics?
i went with tein ss full coilovers on my last car. i loved it . sold it just because i needed money for trade in(EP)
awww i MISS my drop

I'd say about 2.5 finger gap. Here's a photo:

trabadoo22
06-14-2003, 10:16 PM
Wow. I'm suprised at how good that looks with only a 1" drop. I may just go with the pro-kit now, especially since I live in NY. 02TafWhtSi I"m sure youv'e answered this before, but how is the ride with the pro-kit? Also do you get any knocking sounds with them? Thanks alot.

Brettnyt
06-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Dayum, (yes, dayum... suprised? I didnt think so...) I really wanna drop my car with either neuspeed race, GC or Skunk2 coilovers... I really like the idea of the coilovers with the koni's... I know this is a stupid question, but how tough is it to adjust the coilovers? How long would it take to raise/drop an inch? Sorry for the stupidity...

Civicvtec1ps
06-15-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by trabadoo22
Wow. I'm suprised at how good that looks with only a 1" drop. I may just go with the pro-kit now, especially since I live in NY. 02TafWhtSi I"m sure youv'e answered this before, but how is the ride with the pro-kit? Also do you get any knocking sounds with them? Thanks alot.
same thought.. they look better . idk what i want.. either full coilovers or springs/ shocks. freaking kyb and tokicos taking way TOO long to develop..

2k2_nbp_egg
06-15-2003, 09:04 AM
Right now I just installed both my front and rear sway, so along w/ my progress springs on stock shocks my car feels like a luxury go-kart when I drive it. I feel every bump, hole, and imperfection in the road....no bullshit. I need shocks or full coilovers bad...

Civicvtec1ps
06-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
Right now I just installed both my front and rear sway, so along w/ my progress springs on stock shocks my car feels like a luxury go-kart when I drive it. I feel every bump, hole, and imperfection in the road....no bullshit. I need shocks or full coilovers bad...
ya thats the thing. i never had springs on my perivious cars. i only had full coilovers which were nice and all. rides beauitul . i NEED drop cause ep looks like crap without drop. i just wish i had enough money to buy tien flex. damn it:(

Black03Si
06-15-2003, 10:49 AM
I think are shocks will laster longer than what alot of people think. I believe they're much better quality than previous civics. Not sure if the shocks are the same, but I had an 01 civic dropped on sportlines (1.5") w/stock shocks. I drove it like that for about 13,000 miles (little over a year). Shocks were in perfect condition when I traded it in. Our shocks are at least the same quality as the coupe/sedan if not better. You should be fine for awhile. It just depends on your driving habits, road conditions, etc.

02TafWhtSi
06-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by trabadoo22

ride's extremely close to stock - almost no difference :)
No noises/sounds at all - 9 months and still going as strong as day one :)