PDA

View Full Version : Intake backfiring?

trabadoo22
06-14-2003, 01:02 AM
I got an Injen short ram intake about a month ago and in that time frame I've heard the intake backfire twice. It seems pretty random. Ive seen from other posts on here that other people have experienced this, not only with Injen, but with other intake brands as well. Ive done some searching on this subject, but can't seem to find what is causing the backfiring or if it is bad for the engine. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

TrippZ
06-14-2003, 11:07 AM
mine did that just yesterday or the day before... scared the f out of me

madbrain
06-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Happened to me 3 times each in 2nd gear while accellerating after rolling through a 4 way stop.

Makross
06-14-2003, 01:19 PM
what do you mean by backfiring???:eek: :confused:

trabadoo22
06-14-2003, 01:30 PM
It's like a pop noise. Same thing as if you ever heard a muffler backfire. I just want to know if it's bad for my car. It seems fairly common with intakes so I'm guessing it can't be that bad. I'de rather be safe than sorry though.

!@#$%
06-14-2003, 02:46 PM
my intake will pop only when I give it a jab of gas, and my exhaust pops only when I'm downshifting while slowing down. Kinda pisses me off.

GeNoZiDe
06-16-2003, 10:44 PM
ya my exhaust backfires too sounds kinda cool LOL
never had the AEM CAI do that though

chubbychu
06-16-2003, 10:49 PM
hmm...is it just me or does my ep sound quieter than other vehicles with intakes?

SHAKEnBAKE
06-16-2003, 11:10 PM
Same thing happened to me few days ago, 1st time.

dtexan
09-16-2003, 04:39 AM
i just installed a typhoon intake last week and its done it 3 times since. So is this causing any damage?

oogy-boogy
09-16-2003, 04:57 AM
Hmmm...

I had the same happen with my E-bay SRI (5-6 times) and the Injen CAI that's been on for a month (1 time). I'm curious as to the cause as well. Can anyone shed some light on this?

joneSi
09-16-2003, 06:56 AM
My injen cai did this until I cut the hole that it drops down into below the battery. This is because it was rubbing against the metal, and would pop when the intake moved. Don't know if its the same deal, but I've never had my car 'backfire' after I cut that and I have a CAI, Header, and Exhaust.

joneSi

simann
09-16-2003, 06:59 AM
I have an HKS SRI, it does it basically every day. I have gotten used to it lately since its been on since january. I havnt noticed any damage to the throttle body or inside the manifold.....so...I dont know ya'll, its retarded!:D :o

Z26
09-16-2003, 07:52 AM
It has happened to me twice. I have the typhoon intake. I was slowing down to a stop sign and was in 4th, I stabbed at the gas and bang!, scared the shit out of me but knew what it was right when I heard it.

ahhhonda
09-16-2003, 10:04 AM
It happened once to me last week and I have the stock intake! I will be interested to find out what causes this and if it's something we should be talking with Honda about.

Si4U2NV
09-16-2003, 10:05 AM
happened to me when i first got my sri... i posted about it... it happenz now and again... itz called 'intake pop', itz not "backfiring" itz just something that happenz with free flowing intakes. no damage is caused by it...

-Mike:D

boostedsi0813
09-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Hey, i'm new to the sight, but i've had my intake for a while. My AEM SRI has done it a few times. I noticed that it happened when i started at a really low RPM and hit it full throttle in 1st. I don't really see how it could do any damage, but it did scare the living hell out of me the first time it did it.

-Jared

HondaMan
09-16-2003, 11:54 AM
It happens with my Typhoon every now and then. Don't think anything of it when it happens...no harm is done. Cleaning it seems to help or maybe its the warmer weather. :confused:

DownTheHatch
09-17-2003, 05:40 AM
It probably has alot to do with that little sensor that we stick in to the intake...

02HatchSI
09-17-2003, 07:55 PM
It happens to my injen cai when i am shifting into 4th at redline... Its fucking loud... I think that its the pop noise cause it is soo fucking loud... I almost shit when i hear it... but i think its only when i am shifting and gassing it.... I tryed going into 4th again but this time at a lower rpm and everything seems to be fine... no pop noise or anything... I guess its common for us all then huh lol.

jon

estebones
09-18-2003, 10:49 PM
is there anyone with some tech insight into this? I bought a SRi and am seriously thinking about not putting it on untill I can feel more comfortable about it?
can some one shed some more light into this?

--esteban

Stas03Si
09-19-2003, 12:53 AM
I've had it happen to mine as well a few times...

NBP_03Si
09-19-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
hmm...is it just me or does my ep sound quieter than other vehicles with intakes?

umm yea at low RPM but woot it and pass the 5k rpm line and tell me if that quiteter than other.

abou the post, that "pop" noice scare the shiit out of me like the first 2 times but now i'm used to it is not to often but it happens when you like at low RPM and dip the acelerator.

Si-Sissy-PA
09-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys -- I've experienced it too...

I've had it happen many many times - exact same way I'd describe it "backfiring" out the front.

It's usually during normal driving... not when pushing it hard like on the Autocross.

SiR_d1
09-19-2003, 12:12 PM
This is like the third time this topic has been posted and everytime I read it I feel sort of bad that my typhoon doesn't backfire, feel sort of left out:D

But yeah, I've had my intake for about 3-4 months and no backfire

karlo_ep3
09-29-2003, 02:46 AM
When I installed my AEM CAI, it happened to me too. I was at that time practicing my double clutching. Scared me too! Only happens when I stab the gas at low rpms. I think the ECU got some weird readings from the new intake. Give it some time and it will disappear or maybe be more gentle with the accelerator.

STP03BlueSI
09-29-2003, 08:44 AM
I just wonder if it is maybe alittle bit of Condensation in the tube. One guy from Canada says he has never had it happen..but then i read others from GA, all the way out to Cali..and it happens to them.:blushm: Could it be that?

Si-Sissy-PA
09-29-2003, 10:46 AM
Condensation-
That wouldn't surprise me at all ---

I'm in PA here--- and I get all kinds of condensation anyway --- headlights steam up now and then, windows, even the face of my stereo has been known to steam up (on occasion) [and, no, not because of THAT] --- and the outside of the intake sometimes has condensation on the outside -- maybe there is some occassions where it also collects inside???

----->Matt

rs_1101
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
wow.. 2 pages of posts and not one real answer.. lol. i dont think the exhaust pop can be too bad.. if u watch indy cars ull notice that those things exhaust backfire constantly during shifting.. i guess its completely normal during the valve overlap phase of the cam

Blazzik
09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Same thing, i thought i was crazy, i made me a short ram air from a 45 degree mandrel bent tube and a cheap filter. It's done it twice now, anyone have an idea what this is???

02NJHondaep3
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
My AEM CAI does that. It sounds cool. again i have no technical information to answer this.

savesteve
09-30-2003, 12:18 AM
If I had to venture a guess I would say it's off backpressure created in the aftermarket Tubes. Much like exhaust but the opposite. IE.The air your pulling in the tube has "spooled" (this is partly what I would asume cause SRI to have better pedal response then CAI since they have less volume to fill) to a certian pressure inside the tube, You suddenly or mildly let off the gas and the built up pressure has nowhere to go really so you get the pop when it fights it's way back out the filter? Again this is just a guess as I'm still learning about cars with my EP being the only one I've ever had worth owning.I don't think my AEM CAI has done it yet but I only hae 4500 miles on it so far. Any thoughts guys?

Blazzik
09-30-2003, 06:25 AM
sounds good, sounds like that could be the culprit, anyhow, i dont think ots damaging at all, although it sounds kinda phishy

G-J
09-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Weird... I have an AEM CAI and the exhaust backfires on occasions, but I havent heard the intake do it yet. But now that I said that you know damn well its gonna happen on the way home after work :D

glw
09-30-2003, 05:57 PM
i've always been told that intake or exhaust backfiring is caused by a advanced or retarded ignition timing. basically an explosion is happening outside of the closed cylinders -- ex. while a intake or exhaust valve is open...

don't know how to fix it because ours is controlled by our computers... maybe someone else knows that part!

rs_1101
09-30-2003, 07:20 PM
this is my theory:
most of you know from the sticky in this forum (helpful k20a info) that our cars have a total valve overlap time, where intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time, to help emissions, by using exhaust backpressure to recirculate exhaust for a partial re burn. my theory is that when decelerating or whatever the vtc and vtec dont adjust soon enough, and the rich mixture caused by a high flow intake is detonated during the overlap stage. thats why it only occurs during deceleration, and during other times of sudden change in motor rpm/output...

comments?

Blazzik
09-30-2003, 07:27 PM
sounds right to me... the vtc does have somewhat of a delay so that could definately be a possiblity

simann
10-01-2003, 04:10 AM
my friend has a grand national (turbo 3.8 liter v6) he has no bov so under deceleration, a bunch of air gets caught in the intake tube, it makes a loud snorkal sound similar to the backfire... ;)

Vertigo
10-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
this is my theory:
most of you know from the sticky in this forum (helpful k20a info) that our cars have a total valve overlap time, where intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time, to help emissions, by using exhaust backpressure to recirculate exhaust for a partial re burn. my theory is that when decelerating or whatever the vtc and vtec dont adjust soon enough, and the rich mixture caused by a high flow intake is detonated during the overlap stage. thats why it only occurs during deceleration, and during other times of sudden change in motor rpm/output...

comments?

Overlap or more commonly known as "scavenging" helps the combustion chamber rid all of the sent exhaust. In order to do this, alot of things have to happen. "Scavenging" is totally dependent on proper timing of the opening of the intake valve and the closing of the exhaust valve. If the intake is opened too soon you get too much exhaust gas pulsing into the intake tract. The intake manifold has a much lower pressure than the cylinder at this point. You'll always get some exhaust gas if you have overlap, but too much hurt engine performance. If too much exhaust gas gets into the intake, it contaminates the intake charge. Because of the scavenging effect, most of the contaminated intake air is drawn through the cylinder and out the exhaust as it should be. If you have too much scavenging, a lot of the intake charge air will rush through the cylinder and out the exhaust, creating a lean condition. The efficiency of the scavenging effect rises with engine rpm.

sleepin02si
11-15-2003, 09:42 PM
I also have the same issue. I am calling Honda on Monday morning to schedule a visit. This is what I am going to tell the about:

(from another forum site)
"Just a note....

Went in for some warenty issues yesterday as I discussed. And suprise, suprise, I now have a software update for my ECU. The software flash is referenced under a Bulletin for misfire diagnostics after start up. So a Tech might not think it relevent... so ask them to look for SW updates that referance this. Somtimes manufacturers will correct multiple issues with an update but only referance 1 issue in the bullitin(Legalities).
I have put on about 400 KM since the update. and cannot reproduce the occilating tourque we were feeling... i belive the misfire diagnostics was to radical and was effecting timming causing the surges in torque. My kudos to Rob Walker and Maxwell Anderson @ Barrie Honda for there efficiency and help with my problems."

Hopefully this takes care of it.

k20beast
11-17-2003, 01:30 AM
i get that same noise and it kinda pisses me off. cuz everytime it happens it sounds like something fell off. but when my exhaust does it that sounds cool. btw for my intake i just replaced my whole airbox with a cone filter.

STP03BlueSI
11-17-2003, 06:12 AM
Well i had my Injen SRI back fire last week. Scared the living piss out of me and my buddy. I was doin alittle burn out. got it squeelin, and then shifted then BAM! i think i had some condensation in the intake, it was really humid that evening.

slc71
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I have an Injen SRI also and this has not happened to me yet. Maybe I will be a lucky one. :D

aerial
11-17-2003, 06:34 PM
:mad: same thing has happened to me twice when i had my AEM CAI and it just happened today with my Injen SRI. I dont hear this often, in about 3 months i heard it about 2-3 times. At the beginning i didnt know if it was my exaust or my headers. But now since im reading about this problem now im pretty sure its coming from my intake . The sound comes right from the engine and this scares the shit out of me too. I think we should get together and find out what is causing this poroblem and if this would hurt our engines. This is happening to a lot of us.

STP03BlueSI
11-18-2003, 07:48 AM
I have an appointment with Honda on monday i will address this issue with them. Maybe my ECU needs that update?

sleepin02si
11-18-2003, 04:54 PM
It has also been cold and foggy a lot around my house lately. I have also been experiencing odd power surges under various throttle conditions, but most noticeably in 2nd gear. I could swear the backfiring sound is happening, but I usually don't hear it b/c of my stereo. It has been happening a lot lately. Let us know how it goes with the dealer and the update if you get it. I am very curious to see if is the update or the possible condensation.

aerial
11-18-2003, 05:56 PM
at the begining i was blaming my headers but i checked w the radio off n it comes from intake is some thig wrong or is normal i do not have it often but ihahe it :mad:

sleepin02si
11-18-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm seriously kicking around the idea of putting the factory airbox back on. I'll be able to see if that solves the problem.

HondaMan
11-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by sleepin02si
I'm seriously kicking around the idea of putting the factory airbox back on. I'll be able to see if that solves the problem.

The ECU update sounds like your best bet. I get the same "power loss" in 2nd gear. Whenever I get around to taking my car into a Honda dealer for something...I will have them do this ECU update.

rs_1101
11-18-2003, 07:51 PM
if you look at spoon and mugen they recomend keeping the stock box or using one thats really close in appearance. the stock box isnt too bad, filters closer to the motor so better throttle response. id reccomend the hondata mod with a comtech or spoon or k&n drop in, better for spirited driving..

but if ur into dragging and pure power.. keep ur CAI

sleepin02si
11-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
if you look at spoon and mugen they recomend keeping the stock box or using one thats really close in appearance. the stock box isnt too bad, filters closer to the motor so better throttle response. id reccomend the hondata mod with a comtech or spoon or k&n drop in, better for spirited driving..

but if ur into dragging and pure power.. keep ur CAI
By spirited do you mean more of an autox stlye?

swatman
11-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
The ECU update sounds like your best bet. I get the same "power loss" in 2nd gear. Whenever I get around to taking my car into a Honda dealer for something...I will have them do this ECU update.

Does anyone have detail info for this ECU update service bulletin? Do I just bring my car to the dealer and ask for ECU update or does the dealer only do update when you encounter a problem.

HondaMan, let us know if you see improvement after the update.

sleepin02si
11-19-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by swatman
Does anyone have detail info for this ECU update service bulletin? Do I just bring my car to the dealer and ask for ECU update or does the dealer only do update when you encounter a problem.

HondaMan, let us know if you see improvement after the update.
Someone else has already gotten the update. (On another site)
He/she said that you just need to go in and tell them that this has been happening ever since you got the car. Also tell them that you are sure that there is an update out there to correct the ignition timing after start up. I was unable to get the actual TSB number for the update. I messaged the person, they had said that they were standing there with the Honda Tech, but couldn't catch the exact title as the monitor was not completely visible.

aerial
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
should we put back our ugly stock to solve the problem o what any idea i do nonot have back fire all the time but have it:confused: :confused:

sleepin02si
11-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by aerial
should we put back our ugly stock to solve the problem o what any idea i do nonot have back fire all the time but have it:confused: :confused:

I was thinking of doing this, but I want to see what Hondaman has to say after he says something about the ecu update to Honda.

aerial
11-19-2003, 06:07 PM
yea u right lets wait n see ill be taking mine for service nex month hope they dont sai is due to sri cause i love my ijnjen sri n im sure we will find the little problem dont u think:)

HondaMan
11-19-2003, 07:48 PM
I doubt I will take my EP in for dealer sevice any time soon. I do most of my car work myself. So, don't wait on me...from what I understand there is a service bulletin out concerning this ECU update and everybody should push this issue if they are in for dealer service and have this problem. I wish I could be of more help...I'll try to look into it more.

sleepin02si
11-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Well screw it! I'll be the guinee(sp?) pig. I have a well trusted Honda mechanic at my dealership. I'll call him up tomorrow and see what he has to say. I will be sure to ask him about the TSB and see if he can locate it for me. If everything checks out, I will pass on the TSB# to you guys and let you know how it went.

Hondaman - Sorry, I misread the post.

HondaMan
11-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Hondaman - Sorry, I misread the post.

That's cool...I was like WTF for a minute there. Please keep us informed. :D

slc71
11-19-2003, 09:10 PM
This may not be it, but did everyone reset thier ECU per the instructions?
Like I said in a earlier post, I have an Injen SRI and have not experienced this problem yet.
I don't race or anything but have ran it pretty hard.
It has only been on about a month since it was installed though.
Maybe it will take longer to have the issue, how long was it for everyone else after installing the SRI or CAI?

sleepin02si
11-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by slc71
how long was it for everyone else after installing the SRI or CAI?
I can't remember if I ever heard it before the CAI b/c I got it 1 week after a got the car. It has been happening randomly for about 8 months. It has only been recently that I have been noticing it more and more.

simann
11-20-2003, 11:42 AM
I have had my HKS SRI in for about a year know and it happens just about every day still. I have gotten used to it know, but it still freaks anyone riding in the car with me out of their mind!

do you think our cars have bad valve seals, I am saying maybe the valve seals arnt sealing enough on the intake side and a little gas vapor is coming out and detonating near or in the manifold......thats just a ROUGH thought...... :rolleyes:

aerial
11-20-2003, 05:06 PM
it took mine about 2 months to hear it but i will put back my stock one see if i can solve this isue

Bicho6
11-20-2003, 11:20 PM
for TSB's go to .. www.alldata.com

they have every TSB for every car

sleepin02si
11-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Yeah, but you have to pay $ to get to read the bulletin. I believe when I quoted another forum, I included that this was a fix that was not directly listed in the title of the bulletin, but was a problem that was corrected by using an update that included the ecu flash update. When I call the dealer I am going to ask him to look into numbers 03-020, 02-041, and 02-026. I will see what they have to say.

Bicho6
11-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah, but you have to pay $ to get to read the bulletin.

no you don't have to pay money, i was just on it. on the homepage click on techinical service bulletins at the top, select year and model and your good. Check it out... it is 100% free!!!

HondaMan
11-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Bicho6
no you don't have to pay money, i was just on it. on the homepage click on techinical service bulletins at the top, select year and model and your good. Check it out... it is 100% free!!!

It is free! Here is the data:

Bulletins for 2002 Honda Civic Si Coupe L4-1998cc 2.0L DOHC (i-VTEC) PGM FI

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 00-064 AUG 03 Body - Windshield Molding is Deformed
01-028 AUG 03 Interior - Right Hand Dashboard Creaking Noise
98-018 JUL 03 Drivetrain - Revised CV Joint Boot Band/Installation
00-088 JUN 03 Brakes - Brake Disc Refinishing Guideline
02-070 MAY 03 Suspension - Squeak From Rear Suspension
01-053 APR 03 Antitheft System - Type 3 System Operation/Programming
02-061 APR 03 Body - Trunk Lid is Difficult to Close
02-034 APR 03 Restraint System - SRS Indicator ON/Multiple DTC's Set
98-011 APR 03 Keyless Entry - Transmitter ID/Programming
03-020 MAR 03 Engine Controls/Emissions - OBD II DTC's & Monitors
02-041 DEC 02 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P0341 Set
02-045 OCT 02 Body/Suspension - Creaking/Ticking Noises
02-054 OCT 02 Restraint System - 'SIDE AIRBAG OFF' Indicator ON
02-052 AUG 02 Restraint System - Occupant Detection Initialization
02-039 JUL 02 M/T - Shift Lever Difficult to Move/Hard Shifting
02-034 JUN 02 Restraint System - SRS Indicator ON/DTC's Set
02-026 MAY 02 Emissions - MIL ON With DTC P1457 (EVAP) Set
02-024 APR 02 Interior/Lighting - High Mount Brake Light Rattles
00-095 MAR 02 Body - Moonroof Seal Squeaks
02-008 MAR 02 Body - Trunk Release Handle Inoperative
02-009 FEB 02 Interior - Rear Seat Back Lock Hard to Turn
02-002 JAN 02 M/T - Clutch Pedal Squeak Upon Application

Bulletins for 2003 Honda Civic Si L4-1998cc 2.0L DOHC EP3 (i-VTEC) PGMFI

Service Bulletins
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 00-064 AUG 03 Body - Windshield Molding is Deformed
03-010 APR 03 Body - Front Bumper Spoiler Loose/Detached

aerial
11-21-2003, 01:45 PM
i did follow instructions but what im thinkin as cai sucks too much air than gas n is wen back fire happens i guess we need update ecu wen we make this change i put my stock back today see if this what is causin it still did not loose power in low rpm cause i still have dc headers n invidia exhaust iwas thinkin my headers were causin it cause i installed all at the same time but i been reading this is happening to almost every one with out headers well this is what i thik any way ill be takig my car to the dealer for maitence n ill mension this to them ill take it cause i have gurranty on it:)

sleepin02si
11-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
It is free! Here is the data:

Bulletins for 2002 Honda Civic Si Coupe L4-1998cc 2.0L DOHC (i-VTEC) PGM FI

Service Bulletins
02-070 MAY 03 Suspension - Squeak From Rear Suspension
02-061 APR 03 Body - Trunk Lid is Difficult to Close
02-034 APR 03 Restraint System - SRS Indicator ON/Multiple DTC's Set
02-041 DEC 02 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC P0341 Set
02-045 OCT 02 Body/Suspension - Creaking/Ticking Noises
02-054 OCT 02 Restraint System - 'SIDE AIRBAG OFF' Indicator ON
02-052 AUG 02 Restraint System - Occupant Detection Initialization
02-039 JUL 02 M/T - Shift Lever Difficult to Move/Hard Shifting
02-034 JUN 02 Restraint System - SRS Indicator ON/DTC's Set
02-026 MAY 02 Emissions - MIL ON With DTC P1457 (EVAP) Set
02-024 APR 02 Interior/Lighting - High Mount Brake Light Rattles
00-095 MAR 02 Body - Moonroof Seal Squeaks
02-008 MAR 02 Body - Trunk Release Handle Inoperative
02-009 FEB 02 Interior - Rear Seat Back Lock Hard to Turn
02-002 JAN 02 M/T - Clutch Pedal Squeak Upon Application

Bulletins for 2003 Honda Civic Si L4-1998cc 2.0L DOHC EP3 (i-VTEC) PGMFI

Service Bulletins
03-010 APR 03 Body - Front Bumper Spoiler Loose/Detached

So, where in this do you see the details of the TSB? This is EXACTLY what I was talking about when I said they only give you the titles of the TSB's and their numbers. Nowhere in here is the detailed descriptions of the things that are fixed by the TSB.

I also have the same issue. I am calling Honda on Monday morning to schedule a visit. This is what I am going to tell the about:

(from another forum site)
"Just a note....

Went in for some warenty issues yesterday as I discussed. And suprise, suprise, I now have a software update for my ECU. The software flash is referenced under a Bulletin for misfire diagnostics after start up. So a Tech might not think it relevent... so ask them to look for SW updates that referance this. Somtimes manufacturers will correct multiple issues with an update but only referance 1 issue in the bullitin(Legalities).
I have put on about 400 KM since the update. and cannot reproduce the occilating tourque we were feeling... i belive the misfire diagnostics was to radical and was effecting timming causing the surges in torque. My kudos to Rob Walker and Maxwell Anderson @ Barrie Honda for there efficiency and help with my problems."

Hopefully this takes care of it.

originally posted by sleppin02si
Yeah, but you have to pay $ to get to read the bulletin. I believe when I quoted another forum, I included that this was a fix that was not directly listed in the title of the bulletin, but was a problem that was corrected by using an update that included the ecu flash update. When I call the dealer I am going to ask him to look into numbers 03-020, 02-041, and 02-026. I will see what they have to say.
As I said, I think 03-020, 02-041, and 02-026 are the ones to look into. But hey, since you guys seem to think I am an idiot who can't navigate a web site, go ahead and trust the headlines. For me, I'm eventually going to call the dealer and talk to someone I trust there and see what they have to say. After all, we are dealing with speculation, since no one on this site has yet to even try to get the update.

HondaMan
11-21-2003, 08:30 PM
Well, I guess somebody will get around to getting this update (if possible). I listed the TSB info to be helpful so people didn't have to go search for that info on that website, not to show you are an idiot. Relax dude! :rolleyes:

Bicho6
11-21-2003, 08:35 PM
definitely needs to relax..

sleepin02si
11-22-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Bicho6
definitely needs to relax..
First, let me say I'm sorry. I will agree with the both of you that sometimes I get a little wild. I just don't like it when I have to repeat myself in a place that uses a written history of conversation. I can apprecaite that Hondaman did a copy and paste on the list to save me, or whoever, time and to help out fellow EP'ers. But as I said in the first place, we are looking for an update that is not listed in the main title. You have to pay

I didn't think that what I was saying anthing was that difficult to understand. We are all fairly intelligent people. Going back on the point of written conversation, it is even easier to mis-read or interpret something that was written incorrectly, since you can't hear the tone of voice. I was not pissed off. I was confused as to how that list was supposed to help me, based on my previous statements.

sleepin02si
11-22-2003, 05:47 AM
I decided to look at the TSB titles for both 2002 and 2003, since we are sharing this probelm on both models year vehicles. There is one title that references the ECU and is listed on both cars.

Does anyone know what a DTC is?

TEKBRAIN
11-22-2003, 07:16 AM
Diagnostic Trouble Code

sleepin02si
11-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN
Diagnostic Trouble Code
Cool, thanks!

sleepin02si
12-02-2003, 06:52 PM
I still have yet to call the dealer, but here is where we ended up in another thread:
"sleepin02si
Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:10 am Post subject:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RedLight_Si wrote:
I own a 2003 Civic Si and seem to have the hesitation/surging problem everyone is talking about. I took it to the dealership and they found no TSBs concerning this or anything close. They ran my car and found basically nothing.

ovlovtech:
Im trying to get this problem fixed. It seems you have found the solution. Do you have a TSB number for this problem or any kind
of number that I can reference for this. Everyone I have talked to
has no idea what Im talking about. I understand you live in Canada.
Im in the US. Could it be this is a Canada only fix?

Thanks

Ditto. No one down here had a clue what I was asking.

**bump**

ovlovtech
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:36 pm Post subject:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
hey guys sorry it has been a while
ask them to do an ecu update for emissions and if they can't figure that out tell them they should switch back to working on lada's

pdogg11123
12-03-2003, 08:27 PM
FYI
I talked to the techs at honda and they said that the backfiring probably won't do any damage to the engine itself however the backfire can create enough pressure to damage the throtle body or the seal inside. Not sure or a fix for the problem yet just thought i would add my 2 cents.
P.S i haven't put my intake on yet because of this problem.

aerial
12-03-2003, 09:02 PM
hey guess what i put back my stock n it sucks i had it for 4 days n i took my ep for service the tech said is nothin wrong w it n if the problem is not there when they checked it nothing they can do so when i put my sri back in my car u can feel big diference so sweet my exhust souds great is just great anyway i got this intake back fire randomly so i asket to this gay at my work about this matter n sai this do no hurt the motor this is normal he said w the stock one probably do the same but since the stock got a big box n made to quiet noises we cant hear it n this gay use to fix cars for racing as a hobby of course but i thing at certain point he is right dont u think one more thing ill keep mine in my car no matter what cause car feels alive

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

mental
12-04-2003, 12:14 AM
hey thanx for this post i always wondered what the hell that noise was... i never really let it bother me cuz well of all the hondas i owned i try to tell myself to remember one thing all the wierd little noises and stuff that seem odd can be blamed on one thing... ITS A HONDA... lol... its not a bad thing that its a honda... cuz hondas never die... thats why its funny to blame it on the fact its a honda... hondas just do wierd shit for absolutely no reason... and they almost never break down... so if backfiring is just my motor telling me HAY I AM GOOD FOR another 180,000 MILES... the let it back fire all dam day... lol...

aerial
12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
hell yea u right u gain power n hondas r 4ever as for the gay tha says dont install his because this noise well u never gona install one keep waiting amigo anyway what u gays think of hondata ecu reflash maybe this help to backfire intake

sleepin02si
12-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by aerial
hell yea u right u gain power n hondas r 4ever as for the gay tha says dont install his because this noise well u never gona install one keep waiting amigo anyway what u gays think of hondata ecu reflash maybe this help to backfire intake
Is there anybody here who has the intake backfire issue with their Hondata?

ViViDPeArL
12-09-2003, 09:50 AM
i dunno why everyone is complaining...i wish my car made loud noises...:D i have an AEM CAI, stupid thing :(

sleepin02si
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
i dunno why everyone is complaining...i wish my car made loud noises...:D i have an AEM CAI, stupid thing :(
All I'm gonna say to that is that with EVERY mod I've done, more noises come from the car. I am starting to think I'm gonna go and work backwards to put everything back the way it was:rolleyes:

aerial
12-09-2003, 07:17 PM
r u for real