PDA

View Full Version : Big Problems!!!

sammysir
08-17-2002, 07:16 PM
Guys just tried to do the front suspension with my mechanic buddy got the tie rod and ball joints out no problem but problem is seems that on the front both sides that the driveshaft wont go in... like i can't tilt the top of the rotor assembly to the inside of the fenders to line up with the strut brackets..... tried forever try to get the shafts in something isn't write.. wondering if anyone did their own install or could give me some pointers so i can take my car of the freaking jack stands and get this baby low.

cheers

HondaMan
08-18-2002, 12:12 AM
It's not easy getting that back together...I just did mine today. You have to use a little brut force when doing it, 1st pull the strut out toward the rotor assembly and at least get the bottom huge bolt in, 2nd push down on the lower control arm of the suspension and push the rotor assembly in at the same time...it will pop into place and then put the top bolt in...its a little freaky working against the drive shaft like that but it will work. I hope that helps...PM me your phone number and I'll talk you through it over the phone, if needed. Good luck! :)

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2002, 08:33 AM
did you freak when you couldn't get the drive shafts in :D I did, I thought I fucked something up. I take it you got them in now?

sammysir
08-18-2002, 09:10 AM
got it working actually my best friend is a class A mechanic for past 3 years and works at and performance shop. However the problem was we didn't use a spring compressor so when we release the top strut we should of removed the lower ball joint from the lower A arm instead the spring un-compresssed pushing the A arm (this hold the wheel hub assembly with driveshave) pull apart the 3 prong u joint in the shaft. either way we tried for ever to manuever the wheel hub with the shaft in it to lock the shaft but when your holding 40 pound hub and however many pounds of force the sway bar is putting down its damn near impossible to get the perfect straight alignment. An unfortunately since we did the job in his garage. he had all the tools, air tools, ball joint spreaders etc.......... he didn't have his 32mm drive shaft socket so we couldn't take the hub off. either way went to the shop this morning to get it and wammo got the shafts in. the rear we did in 9 min's both sides with tires on and off and car on the ground (hehe we timed it) any ways the car looks SICK but when we lowered the rear it was a stock hieght... i was wtf........ took a 20 minute drive for the suspension to settle and wow....... these neuspeed race look amazing...........

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by sammysir
..... he didn't have his 32mm drive shaft socket so we couldn't take the hub off. either way went to the shop this morning to get it and wammo got the shafts in. the rear we did in 9 min's both sides with tires on and off and car on the ground (hehe we timed it) any ways the car looks SICK but when we lowered the rear it was a stock hieght... i was wtf........ took a 20 minute drive for the suspension to settle and wow....... these neuspeed race look amazing...........
:confused: man, maybe I'm confused about what you're talking about, you ended up taking the hub off to get the shaft back in? Sounds complicating. To make sure I'm on the same level as to what you are talking about....your talking about the drive shaft that is mated to the rotor assembly, correct? The whole rotor assymbly came down and pulled the drive shaft out? That's what happened to me. Just pushed in and turned the rotor, bada bing, bada boom, took a split second. Anyway, glad to here you got the springs on. Got pics coming soon?

HondaMan
08-18-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

:confused: man, maybe I'm confused about what you're talking about, you ended up taking the hub off to get the shaft back in? Sounds complicating. To make sure I'm on the same level as to what you are talking about....your talking about the drive shaft that is mated to the rotor assembly, correct? The whole rotor assymbly came down and pulled the drive shaft out? That's what happened to me. Just pushed in and turned the rotor, bada bing, bada boom, took a split second. Anyway, glad to here you got the springs on. Got pics coming soon?

Yeah, wasn't real hard...just a little brut force on it and it popped back in. Now I'm not sure if I installed the front springs correctly...it knocks a little when hitting bumps and I backed off the end of the springs to the white hash mark like OrganDonar suggested...hmmm? Maybe it will settle in after awhile. BTW, do you take off or move up the rubber sleeve on the front springs??? Maybe that's the problem? :confused:

02SilverSiHB
08-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

Yeah, wasn't real hard...just a little brut force on it and it popped back in. Now I'm not sure if I installed the front springs correctly...it knocks a little when hitting bumps and I backed off the end of the springs to the white hash mark like OrganDonar suggested...hmmm? Maybe it will settle in after awhile. BTW, do you take off or move up the rubber sleeve on the front springs??? Maybe that's the problem? :confused:
I'm noticing some rattly knock sound when I hit some bad bumps. I'm guessing I should have trimmed my bump stops. I'm kicking myself in the ass by forgetting to do that. I'm not sure if I had to, but I should have contacted progress to see what they recommend. If I do, I'll trim it about 29mm, that's what eibach sportlines does for the 01 EX. As for that rubber, I didn't transfer it. I left it, in case I ever put my stock springs back on. I'm noticing my ride is a little bumpy on uneven roads. I hope it's just the bump stops....could just be the way it goes with these springs. When I had some H&R springs I had a little knock when pulling out of my garage, never had it on the street while driving. Do you know if you needed to trim your bump stops?

David K.
08-18-2002, 08:46 PM
On my H&R's I did not trim them. H&R rep told me that their springs were designed to work with full factory bumpstops. Don't know about other brands, though.

HondaMan
08-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I think I know what I did wrong now...wrong white hash mark, so I'm getting the clunking noise from the fronts. Doh! :eek:

Here's what OrganDonar PM'ed:
that was the knock i was getting. do you get it when your stopped and turning the wheel back and forth? you are supposed to leave the top rubber mount in the same position as it was when you took it apart. you should not get any klunks. after i fixed mine they are perfect... no noise. the top end of the coil should line up with the white hash mark which should be pointing to the outside of the wheel well. also, this should line up the top three bolts with the holes in the frame mount.

i do remember there being another white mark on upper mount maybe you confused these?? don't know what else i could tell you except, make sure you find a buddy with an air ratchet. sounds like your gonna have to take it apart again. at least second time will go faster.. i'd offer you a hand but im on the opposite coast. good luck to you.

OrganDonar, you PM inbox is full...let's chat soon so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong...I think I know now but want to double check with you first...thanks!

AIM = HondaMan02Si
MSN = jpryorx2@msn.com (night/home) or jmp777@hotmail.com (day/work)

HondaMan
08-18-2002, 11:21 PM
BTW, here is pics of my car lowered and on new wheels (I'll have better pics tomorrow...it was getting dark and I was using a low light setting):

http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Couch%20023.jpg
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Couch%20024.jpg

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2002, 03:05 AM
Yeah, I think I know what I did wrong now...wrong white hash mark, so I'm getting the clunking noise from the fronts. Doh! :eek:

Here's what OrganDonar PM'ed:
that was the knock i was getting. do you get it when your stopped and turning the wheel back and forth? you are supposed to leave the top rubber mount in the same position as it was when you took it apart. you should not get any klunks. after i fixed mine they are perfect... no noise. the top end of the coil should line up with the white hash mark which should be pointing to the outside of the wheel well. also, this should line up the top three bolts with the holes in the frame mount.

i do remember there being another white mark on upper mount maybe you confused these?? don't know what else i could tell you except, make sure you find a buddy with an air ratchet. sounds like your gonna have to take it apart again. at least second time will go faster.. i'd offer you a hand but im on the opposite coast. good luck to you.

OrganDonar, you PM inbox is full...let's chat soon so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong...I think I know now but want to double check with you first...thanks!

AIM = HondaMan02Si
MSN = jpryorx2@msn.com (night/home) or jmp777@hotmail.com (day/work)
I don't think that's my problem. Mine seems to have gone away now. I remember those hash marks and had actually lined them up the way I had sall them before. So when I put the shock back up, it was aligned with the holes. Thanks goodness :D

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2002, 03:06 AM
Damn those are nice rims....good drop!

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2002, 03:08 AM
BTW, here is pics of my car lowered and on new wheels (I'll have better pics tomorrow...it was getting dark and I was using a low light setting):

by the way, what size tires are those? 205/45/17?

2sloSi
08-19-2002, 06:49 AM
Hondaman,

Those are some sweet rims i like em! :cool:
Nice drop too!!

HondaMan
08-19-2002, 09:02 AM
Thanks...I renamed the pics and here they are again (different URLs):
http://pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_023.jpg
http://pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_023.jpg
http://pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_024.jpg
http://pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_024.jpg

I'll have all my spring work photos up later today or tomorrow cause I have to redo the front springs tonight...ugh! :(

Anybody know where I can get a Honda Tech/Repair manual for cheap? ;)

02SilverSiHB
08-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks...I renamed the pics and here they are again
hey, by the way, did you check to see how much those rims weigh? The gunmetal ones? I know what ya mean about having to work on the shocks again. I totally forgot to trim the bump stops. It only takes two seconds to do with the shock assembly already takin apart :(

HondaMan
08-19-2002, 03:25 PM
The new gunmetal rims are about 19 pounds (give or take a pound). Bumper stops not a problem with H&R springs...I'm going to rent/buy some air/power tools before taking this on again. Wish me luck...I'll need it!