PDA

View Full Version : May the gods bless Honda.

chakra71
06-15-2003, 06:21 PM
I was driving home this afternoon when I came to a stop light on a hill and lined up with a red Integra GSR (i think, it had the VTEC badge on the back). The light turned green and i hear his intake get loud so I punched it. I apparently got traction before him because I got about a car-length jump on him off the line. I nailed the 1-2 shift and then the 2-3 shift and I was still ahead.

Then my radar detector went off, full blast KA band. State trooper frequency round here. Not wanting to slam on the brakes and prove that I was speeding I shifted into 2nd, not even thinking about going 75 mph....

VROOOOOOM I see the tach at 8k rpms as i jab the clutch back in almost instantly. I'm sweating bullets as I take a left turn thinking I've just blown my motor AND i'm going to go to jail for racing.

Well, the cop never showed up, and after a lap around the block my motor seems fine. Normal idle, normal power, oil level is fine. I guess I got real lucky twice tonight.

I know... I shouldn't have been racing and I know i'm an idiot for jamming it into second, but god bless Honda for making a motor that didn't explode on me!

redronin22
06-15-2003, 08:07 PM
HAHAHHAHAHA relax man if it hit anywher near 8000 as indicated on the tach then u barely reacehd 7700. I have hondata an ive hit that on the tach almost daily. Relax my friend our motors have hit 10000 rpm n survive it.

Btw good kill while it lasted...

chakra71
06-15-2003, 08:19 PM
it very well may have been above the 8k line, but if it was then it wasn't for very long, i had only just fully released the clutch before i jabbed it back down. i never thought i would do anything like that. I'm usually very careful with my shifts.

I didn't miss it, i fully intended to go into 2nd... just didn't realize i was still going that fast.

Brettnyt
06-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah man, gotta love hondas... check out one of my past threads, hit second from fuel cutoff in third and tach jumped to 9600 RPMs, really screams dont it? haha, sounds pretty cool... just really frightening... People say that our tach is really far off at those speeds so i was prolly closer to 9k, but its hard to say... My car seems to be running fine, just an occasional starter problem... :D These engines love to spin!