PDA

View Full Version : Hondata + I/H/E = ?

SerbiaSi
06-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Question for all the guys with Hondata + I/H/E: should I get Hondata if I alredy have I/H/E? I know that the flash does not respond well with bolt-ons on dyno charts but what is the actual user opinion: Does it make any difference other than 7700 redline? Is it worth $600? Thanks in advance...

!@#$%
06-15-2003, 09:32 PM
we need people to start writing more reviews. Would hondata be considered an electric controller?

CMON PEOPLE LETS GET SOME REVIEWS! :)

SerbiaSi
06-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by rick77f
on my car it seems to make a difference. The throttle response is better with it. My gas mileage went up a bit too. I posted a review a while back somewhere around here. Pull a search and some reviews should come up. If you can't find what you are looking for PM me and I'll answer what I can.

I am particularly interested in your opinion rick77f because we have the same set-up. I am ephatch.com addict so I think I read pretty much all reviews out there in connection with this topic. I am interested in honest bottom line opinion. My suspension upgrade is completed (other than shocks), brake and wheel upgrade is in the mail, basic bolt-ons are in other than ICEBOX... last thing left is Hondata. So should I pay $600 for higher redline or there is something else to it that can't be necessarily seen on dyno charts...

fsugatorbait
06-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SerbiaSi

I am particularly interested in your opinion rick77f because we have the same set-up. I am ephatch.com addict so I think I read pretty much all reviews out there in connection with this topic. I am interested in honest bottom line opinion. My suspension upgrade is completed (other than shocks), brake and wheel upgrade is in the mail, basic bolt-ons are in other than ICEBOX... last thing left is Hondata. So should I pay $600 for higher redline or there is something else to it that can't be necessarily seen on dyno charts...

You and me both...im debating on hondata or another form of tuning as my suspension and bolt-ons will be done within the month. Im on ephatch 8 hrs a day (all day at work) and have read everything on hondata but am still up in the air. If you could give a bottom line opinon rick77f or anyone else with this flash, it would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Phil

jerky
06-16-2003, 04:59 PM
i am also on ephatch 8 hrs a day and i am still not sure whether hondata is worth it for those of use with the ihe mods. maybe if we were stock and didnt want bolt-ons i'd see that it is worth it. is there a new flash? and this new flash, where are the dynos?

!@#$%
06-16-2003, 05:19 PM
someone with hondata should get a JDM intake manifold. The plenum is significantly larger and breathes much better than our 'type s' manifold. I'm positive that the manifold's extra breathing would help keep our car from wheezing at 7700. more air = 1/3 of what it takes for hp. price of manifold is about 2/5ths of what it cost for hondata. not quite half as much. 260, and maybe a little shipping. I will eventually do this unless skunk2 designs a better manifold.

GeNoZiDe
06-16-2003, 06:13 PM
the JDM ITR manifold cause you to loose power till i think about 8k rpms it only makes hp after that point and around 8600
i read it some where cause i was thinkin bout buying one
even with hondata you couldnt rev that high

civicpimp
06-16-2003, 07:38 PM
In my opinion the hondata was totally worth it. As soon as I drove it down the street I knew it was worth it. It made the car feel so much more responsive including giving me better gas milage. And of course it's nice to bring it up to 8k sometimes:)Right now I have the borla header and exhaust and my icebox will be here thur. Looking foward to getting it dynoed after the intake gets put in.

So to sum it up.....yes get the hondata!!!!

GeNoZiDe
06-16-2003, 08:29 PM
so hondata fixed the i/h/e glitch where it didnt make power
vs jus the hondata with the cai?

im gonna wait for some ECU so i can plug my comp into like AEMs
or buddy clubs or Mugen?
:D

its a all in one updatable way! :D

K20NutBucket
06-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I talked to a hondata rep. awhile back and was told it improved drivability, that hp couldnt be measured by overall daily driving. So I understand that most people like it for the simple fact that throttle response, smoother accler. and longer gears makes for easy drive conditions, plus a high rpm is always a plus. I think do to the nature of bolt-ons with the K-series that its hard to get a percise tune, therefore hp and trq may fall off. Too, the people with hondata decide to boost it would be easy for them to send it in for a reflash. I know in the new Honda Tuning Jackson Racing recommended bolt-ons and hondata to run there s/c effeciently.
I plan on getting one sometime, might have to wait for x-mas.
Thats my 2 cents about it, take it how you want. :)

Mr.02BlackSIguY
06-17-2003, 12:11 AM
so from what people say... hondata with ihe doesnt improve that much horse. will they tune it even more to make hondata get more hp with ihe? or this is it?

kenis138
06-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Rick, yer car was puttin out 160whp with the flash?! Dont our cars usually put out about 140whp with I/H/E only?

civic hatch boi
06-17-2003, 11:47 AM
how could it put out 140whp with i/h/e??? our cars put out ~135whp -ish stock.

civic hatch boi
06-17-2003, 11:47 AM
would hondata be worth getting with the absense of a header? should people with just cai and midpipe get this?

kenis138
06-17-2003, 12:15 PM
Yeah, lookin back you are right, but as far as I know NO ONE was even comin close to 160whp with just I/H/E, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quicksilver
06-17-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
Yeah, lookin back you are right, but as far as I know NO ONE was even comin close to 160whp with just I/H/E, correct me if I'm wrong.

With the A3 engine and I/H/E, people have hit 150hp on the Dynojet. To my knowledge, nobody has hit 160hp or more on a Dynojet dyno even with the addition of Hondata, TB overbore, Hondata intake gasket, and grounding cables. The people that have hit 160+ horsepower natually aspirated did so on a Dynapack dyno which will give higher results (approximately 5-10hp more).

I'm still considering purchasing this upgrade for my car too. The fact that everyone who has purchased this has given it a good review, even the sceptics, makes me fell more confident in purchasing this product. There is a group buy for the Hondata reflash on Group Buy Center, but the catch is that the discounted price does not include shipping. So you're basically saving about $10. But considering that it sounds like $595 is a price fixed by Hondata to their distributors, then I guess it's better than nothing.

I'm just wondering whatever happened to the idea of a group buy that was presented to us by Doug from Hondata. If I recall correctly, he said that once the timing glitch on the top end was figured out (fixed months ago) that he'd set up a deal for us EPHatch people. Anyone have any contact with him to find out what happened to the group buy?

tgrasshopper
07-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Whit I/H/E and hondata!!

How mucht on 1/4 mille ??????????????

:p

MasterVTEC
07-11-2003, 02:36 AM
i got hondata flash and gasket with the AEM CAI, my car feels much better and i think i'll be able to hit low 15's with it. i'll post times after the 12th.

i say hondata is worth 800!

tgrasshopper
07-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Nice
we all wait to see a 1/4 sheat and mod description.

02SilverSiHB
07-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Quicksilver

With the A3 engine and I/H/E, people have hit 150hp on the Dynojet. To my knowledge, nobody has hit 160hp or more on a Dynojet dyno even with the addition of Hondata, TB overbore, Hondata intake gasket, and grounding cables. The people that have hit 160+ horsepower natually aspirated did so on a Dynapack dyno which will give higher results (approximately 5-10hp more).

so was this guy using dynapack?
he got 165, joshua that is http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14503&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
07-11-2003, 09:05 AM
If i can find somewhere cheap in the NJ area I'll dyno mine.
Current setup:

Hondata
DC Header
DC DAC intake
2.25" midpipe
Stock muffler

I just added the DC header yesterday and must say that I did not notice any improvement judging by seat-of-the-pants, but I'm going to the strip today so we'll see. I was surprised because most people ive talked to about the header said that it made the biggest difference of all their mods so far, maybe that's not so if you already have Hondata? I dunno... We'll see!

Quicksilver
07-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

so was this guy using dynapack?
he got 165, joshua that is http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14503&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Yep. Shawn Church Automotive uses a Dynapack dyno. That's the place Hondata goes for their testing.

02SilverSiHB
07-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver

Yep. Shawn Church Automotive uses a Dynapack dyno. That's the place Hondata goes for their testing.
well damn, that's pretty disappointing :( I was hoping they would go for something a little more accurate.

NemesisITR
07-11-2003, 05:16 PM
I think im going to wait on the Hondata for right now until I get my Rsx type S head. Id rather wait to pay for the reflash then, then pay for it now and then again later.

Uh....can someone loan me like 3300 for the head?:D :angel:

02SilverSiHB
07-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by NemesisITR
I think im going to wait on the Hondata for right now until I get my Rsx type S head. Id rather wait to pay for the reflash then, then pay for it now and then again later.

Uh....can someone loan me like 3300 for the head?:D :angel: damn man, that's some expensive head :D you need to go to Korea!

NemesisITR
07-11-2003, 06:07 PM
well its 3300 for the whole head assembly from Acura. It sucks...but I really dont want to go to a junkyard and try to find a wrecked type s and have faith in the head. :D

JThrasher79
07-12-2003, 12:35 AM
i can get a whole integra (rsx) type-r K20A 220hp complete swap for 5500usd and the whole front clip for 6350 at http://www.flashoptions.com/default.asp

NemesisITR
07-12-2003, 04:48 PM
I dont know about those guys.....since they say the R redlines at 7900 rpm but has max horsepower at 8000?

The price sounds too good to be true to me. With the head swap and head work im going to have done it will end up costing me about the same except I will have a 8600 redline. Plus I will have just as much horsepower or even a little bit more (5-10hp)

Plus my head will be new and the bottom end will be mine so I no what has been done to it.

SiCk_SiR
07-14-2003, 10:39 PM
have you seen the dyno's for the rsx and si from jackson racing a lot of you may already know that jackson racing has two sc kits for the rsx and the si, the street version which is just the supercharger which gives it 211.6 and the si gets 178.6 but the race version which adds new injectors and a hondata tuned ecu the gains go up to 245.6 for the rsx and 206.0 for the si this is why i think its worth it. also try checking out clubrsx a lot of owners there have hodata on their car and have recomended it. in case your wondering the race version sc from jackson is not CARB legal:'( .

trk
07-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by SiCk_SiR
have you seen the dyno's for the rsx and si from jackson racing a lot of you may already know that jackson racing has two sc kits for the rsx and the si, the street version which is just the supercharger which gives it 211.6 and the si gets 178.6 but the race version which adds new injectors and a hondata tuned ecu the gains go up to 245.6 for the rsx and 206.0 for the si this is why i think its worth it. also try checking out clubrsx a lot of owners there have hodata on their car and have recomended it. in case your wondering the race version sc from jackson is not CARB legal:'( .

K, heres my plan, buy Hondata tonight, buy Mugen suspension next month and then in the far away distant future get a Jackson SC. mmm, droool.

My question/comment/idea is .... buy the street CARB legal version ... have my hondata reflashed from the current flash to the JRSC Race version for $50, research the injectors, and install the injectors, and blammo ... race SC with CARB numbers.... am I on crack? is this possible?

Quicksilver
07-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by trk

My question/comment/idea is .... buy the street CARB legal version ... have my hondata reflashed from the current flash to the JRSC Race version for $50, research the injectors, and install the injectors, and blammo ... race SC with CARB numbers.... am I on crack? is this possible?

According to what the Jackson Racing rep has been saying on ClubRSX, you'd need to buy their injectors since supposedly they're are "optimally designed" to work with their supercharger's Hondata tune. As far as the Hondata upgrade for $50, that's only if the Honda dealer wipes your Hondata out for a new revision. A JRSC reflash price is stil up in the air. Originally it was thought to priced out around $200, but now it's looking like it'll be more than that. I also don't think it would stay CARB legal once you got the JRSC/Hondata reflash. It's the tuning that shouldn't be letting it pass CARB standards.

Who knows. Maybe they can still get the race version CARB legal and it's currently pending or hasn't been filed. We won't be able to tell until they get the product out.

Mantis
07-15-2003, 06:06 PM
I can't seem to find the part number for a 02-03 SI for the Jackson Racing Supercharger. Does anyone have it. How much is it? Will this kill my engine?

Noob

02SilverSiHB
07-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Mantis
I can't seem to find the part number for a 02-03 SI for the Jackson Racing Supercharger. Does anyone have it. How much is it? Will this kill my engine?

Noob
not out yet, no one has it, no price either
www.jacksonracing.com