PDA

View Full Version : HIGH Insurance

furious
06-16-2003, 04:30 AM
OK...I may be a bad driver (well I am), but I have only been caught racing once (w/ a fugging cop...oopss)...BUT, my record is very clean (for MA peeps...it is step 10, next to best rating).

SO...can anyone help explain why I insure my 03 EP for 1200 when I insure my girls new BMW for 1000? TWICE the price tag!! What the shibby is going on??? I just want someone to lay down the reason for this madness..

Oh...I have heard though that the BMW has a symbol 18..as does the EP...this 'symbol' represents the cost for parts and labor typical for the vehicle..SO...why the higher price? Anyone here jacked?

RiceCzechs
06-16-2003, 08:14 AM
Previous Si iterations have a very high record of theft, as do most Hondas (easy to part out), likely significantly higher other rides in its class. Reconcile that with the Si's reputation for street racing and reckless driving (notice I said "reputation"), and you've got a recipe for high insurance.

IceD out N CALI
06-16-2003, 08:45 AM
the si seems to have a bad rep with insurance companies. probably because there are too many insurance claims on this particular make and model

bryan
06-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Sounds pretty low to me, I pay $260/month to insure my Si :(

rgGolf4
06-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Well, I'm in MA as well and my insurance for the year is just under $1000.

First, you are a male. Second, you are step 10. Third, you have a high theft (Civic) vehicle with 2 doors and 160hp engine and going by your bio, you live in Worcester (not the best place for a high theft car). Your girl in the BMW has less of chance getting into an accident (her fault) than you in your SI. It may not be true, but the statistics don't lie.

Ask an actuary, they calculate rates for insurance premiums.

Brettnyt
06-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Mine is 860 somethin... Its kinda tough to be sure of that, cuz I am insured on all 5 of our cars, but Im almost positive its in the 860's... Im 16, good student discount and all too...

2k2ep
06-16-2003, 01:01 PM
its bs I'm still on my parents and paying 220 a month.

VBP03SI
06-16-2003, 02:28 PM
my car before this on was a RANGER and when i bought this my premiums absolutely skyrocketed. I got on the phone with the insurance company and in addition to everything stated above, they told me the crash rating on the vehicle is a level 3.
1 being you wont get hurt
2 being you might get hurt and it might not be fun
3 your gonna die an shit

and MY insurance company has the SI rated as a level 3 vehicle.

gpt
06-16-2003, 02:34 PM
and MY insurance company has the SI rated as a level 3 vehicle. [/B]

That shouldn't be the case - from what I've seen the Si does pretty well in crash tests.

I just renewed my wifes insurance on a 2.0 Golf GLS yesterday and paid $3000 CDN for the year. She has not caused an accident in 11 years of driving and has not (as far as I can remember) had ANY tickets. The company that provides insurance in Vancouver is a monopoly - so they don't really care if they rip of consumers.:mad:

SinisterCivicSi
06-16-2003, 03:29 PM
my 93 civic was 63 bucks a month, full coverage. the new one is like 130 a month, big change. when i first got it , it was like 100 then just recently it went up for comprehensive and collision...guess they figured out how high they are to repair.

SIRMcD
06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Most of you guys shouldn't complain, some of you are 16 and driving a brand new SiR that yer mommy bought you. STFU and pay something for the experience. Oh, and the guy caught racing a cop, YOU are the reason we all pay ridiculous rates.

Keep it on the track J a c k a s s!!

SouthHonda
06-16-2003, 03:51 PM
man I remember when my rates were like that. I used to pay 220 for an 86 mazda b2000 back in 91. Few tickets and a totalled vehicle will do that.
Now my record is clean, couple of tickets nothing major, over the 25 mark and I am married.

We pay $178 a month for three vehicles full coverage. 02 si, 94 accord, and 96 Isuzu Hombre.

BTW my agent plays golf with my father in law about three times a week so I get a buddy buddy deal.

Sorry 'bout ya luck.

Scott

Brettnyt
06-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by SIRMcD
Most of you guys shouldn't complain, some of you are 16 and driving a brand new SiR that yer mommy bought you. STFU and pay something for the experience. Oh, and the guy caught racing a cop, YOU are the reason we all pay ridiculous rates.

Yeah! Screw all you spoiled sixteen year olds! wait a second.... :D

I was in no way complaining, just statin the facts...

SinisterCivicSi
06-16-2003, 06:04 PM

wow arent we a little hostile? and a newbie? hmmm

foilpan
06-16-2003, 06:11 PM
:'(

i live in mass. and pay something over $2500/year to insure this hooptie. i don't know what kind of driver points i have right now, but it can't be good. i've gotten maybe 3 or 4 tickets in my life (one in the EP) and only 2 accidents (both not my fault).

i am very sad...

SinisterCivicSi
06-16-2003, 06:16 PM
:eek: wow thats like double what i pay. your accidents might have alot to do with that, how many years ago were they? were you at fault? it also has alot to do with your age and where you live.

furious
06-16-2003, 06:27 PM

You suck!;) Know why? ....cause I ain't no teen...cause we've all speed....cause you can't tell if a car is a cop at night...I have NINE years experience!! That qualify me to drive on the road wit ya FOOL?? Can I be excused now please...:( .... S h i t h e a d ...

Can't pay the insurance...go cry to your mama...here, I'm just trying to find a fuggin reason...

furious
06-16-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by foilpan
:'(

i live in mass. and pay something over $2500/year to insure this hooptie. i don't know what kind of driver points i have right now, but it can't be good. i've gotten maybe 3 or 4 tickets in my life (one in the EP) and only 2 accidents (both not my fault).

i am very sad...

My buddie pays 2,900 :(

each ticket should be worth from 2 to 3 steps...and disappear only after 6 year maturity upon annual premium renewal...2 accidents arbitrated or declare not at your fault...0.

Where bouts are you?

furious
06-16-2003, 06:33 PM

Just noticed you from London...so what the fug you talkin bout? NONE of this shibby concerns you. OR, do you think we US drivers raise your premium?

cheers!

foilpan
06-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
:eek: wow thats like double what i pay. your accidents might have alot to do with that, how many years ago were they? were you at fault? it also has alot to do with your age and where you live.

ack.

it pains me to think of all this...

the accidents are recent. my 1991 si got sideswiped by a pickup truck last august ($1700 for bodywork), which is why i got the EP. then a month after i got the car, some crazy old lady rear-ended me getting on the highway. i wasn't angry, just kinda amazed it happened to my brand new car.

then i got a speeding ticket near mt. washington in NH... it was late at night, and the guy got me doing 80 in a 55. oops... you got me, ossifer. no hard feelings.

unfortunately, i also live in northeast MA, near the NH border. this region was tops in the nation for car theft a few years back. it sucks. the roads suck. the cops suck. stay away! i lived in western MA a few years ago for college and paid HALF as much for insurance on the '91 si ad i did when i moved back.

waaaaaah!

(side note: none of us are homeless or dying of treatable diseases in some third world country, so i guess we should stop bitching about the price of owning our cars.) :o

furious
06-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by foilpan
(side note: none of us are homeless or dying of treatable diseases in some third world country, so i guess we should stop bitching about the price of owning our cars.) :o

You're right, it's cool...
but then again, that side note could be easily over-ab/used.

NH is the key...go up there and no insurance...wha...yep, no insurance...or just go seasonal if it's a 2nd roller:cool: Guess I have some grounds for bitchin...I use to be from NH.

You are where? Burlington area?

ghettoprettie
06-16-2003, 07:27 PM
my buddy wit a Si...insurance under his name... 9,700 bones a year...TOP THAT SHIT!

jersey sucks

VBP03SI
06-16-2003, 07:31 PM
ok i wont lie i live in louisiana and i'm 21 and have 2 tickets and i pay 4200 a year.....so screw all yall and your petty woes i wish i paid some 2000 a yr

SinisterCivicSi
06-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ghettoprettie
my buddy wit a Si...insurance under his name... 9,700 bones a year...TOP THAT SHIT!

jersey sucks

ok you guys have GOT to be makin this shit up, who the hell would pay that much - thats about 808 dollars a month! there is NO WAY someone would pay that much a month for ONE car, you guys have GOT to be lyin.... or your friend is a TOTAL idiot.

alex_mathews
06-16-2003, 07:56 PM
I pay a little less than $1600 per year on my ep and I live in Jersey.

mixedupneko
06-16-2003, 08:08 PM
sinister im niko ghettopreittes buddy. yes i pay 9,700 a year for my si when i bought the car i was in a decent finanial stage and though that i could handel the 4,500 quote i got from my inshurance compnay 2 bad the next week it jumped to 6,00o cuz it was a lease i street racing history/1 accident/and 1 suspension and 1 driving probationaly course and i am in the New Jersey state inshurance plan wich is 9,700 a year. fuck u jersey fuck u
fuck u fuck u. also it was my bad for street racing. but still i dont deserve to pay 9,700 a yea plus surcharges and 320 a month for my car. its a hole im stuck in and theres no way out. also the fact that im poor and a colloge student doesnt help. but fuck inshurance and god dam it fuck new jersey im moving to staten island after school

SinisterCivicSi
06-16-2003, 08:12 PM
wow dude, you seriously need to call progressive and shop around! i am not tryin to be a smart ass but DAYUM your gettin raped.

now granted, your an unusal circumstance cause of all the shit on your record.

its not going to hurt you to shop around, shit you might save a few bucks, what do you have to loose!?

Brettnyt
06-16-2003, 09:15 PM

wow arent we a little hostile? and a newbie? hmmm

Actually, I was thinkin the same thing...
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/newbie4.jpg

;)

Brettnyt
06-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ghettoprettie

jersey sucks

I dont believe it... thats a lil high... he may have told you that, but seriously... :rolleyes:

Brettnyt
06-16-2003, 09:18 PM
wow dude, you seriously need to call progressive and shop around! i am not tryin to be a smart ass but DAYUM your gettin raped.

now granted, your an unusal circumstance cause of all the shit on your record.

its not going to hurt you to shop around, shit you might save a few bucks, what do you have to loose!?

Woah! cool, you said "Dayum" :D

mixedupneko
06-16-2003, 11:02 PM
sinister thanks for the idot remarks from your first reply but how and keep your opinions to yourself next time. you dont no me you dont know the situation so there for you have no right to call me an idiot. there is no shopping around to do like i said before i am in the STATE PLAN wich the price is set in stone by the state. ill be in it for the next 3 years. so basicly ever summer for the next 3 years i gotta work my ass off to pay off the inshurance during school.

furious
06-17-2003, 03:52 AM
So sorry to hear that man...wouldn't it be cheaper (well obviously cheaper) to just rent a place in a state like NH (for example) that don't have insurance requirement and go that route?

Of course, I'd only consider such a path if I can bank on my own driving..

'DAYUM'...hehe...I just figured out what the hell that word is :o

SinisterCivicSi
06-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by mixedupneko
sinister thanks for the idot remarks from your first reply but how and keep your opinions to yourself next time. you dont no me you dont know the situation so there for you have no right to call me an idiot. there is no shopping around to do like i said before i am in the STATE PLAN wich the price is set in stone by the state. ill be in it for the next 3 years. so basicly ever summer for the next 3 years i gotta work my ass off to pay off the inshurance during school.

no i dont know you and i see you got a hair up your ass, chill out man. and by the way, stop cryin, it was your "intelligent" driving that got you into the mess your in now.... right?

dont be mad at me, your also making insurance high for the rest of us so i think i have a right to explain my opinions.

now, relax, its not that serious.

mixedupneko
06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
hairs actly pretty short now im goin for that spikey look. yea its my driving record but if i had that record e where else i still would b half of what im about to be paying. and i cant really CHILL OUT. when im 19 years old paying over 1,400 a month for my car while going to school. can't really do that.

SIRMcD
06-17-2003, 10:28 AM
So that means yer Mommy either pays for your car or your education. Does she still breast feed you too?

Time for some people to grow up and quit hiding under mommy's skirt, welcome to the real world!

SinisterCivicSi
06-17-2003, 01:23 PM
sorry that your driving record sucks, maybe you will think about that the next time you wanna do something stupid.

everyone in this life makes a choice, you made all of yours. stop trying to get a pity party here, you wont get one. we all have to pay our dues. i have had state insurance also, and it was high, granted no where near yours cause i had self control to a point but still....

if you cant afford the car, then sell it. that way its one less bill for you to pay since life is so hard.
honey you havent seen anything yet, wait until your outta school and real life smacks you right in the butt.

on the real, be thankful you have the things that you have today, you sound very ungrateful to me. your life could be a hell of alot harder, you could have no education, or car, or home or parents, live each day like your last and stop whining.

SinisterCivicSi
06-17-2003, 01:25 PM
oh.....and isnt this part of your problem now?????

See you at the track...
ill be the one looking back

kingxchat
06-17-2003, 07:01 PM
hairs actly pretty short now im goin for that spikey look. yea its my driving record but if i had that record e where else i still would b half of what im about to be paying. and i cant really CHILL OUT. when im 19 years old paying over 1,400 a month for my car while going to school. can't really do that.

:o i wish i was making over 1400 a month, what do u do to pay for ur car?

anyway i pay 260 for my insurance, got it bad when stockton is in the top theft area somewhere :'(

kingxchat
06-17-2003, 07:03 PM
also if you really can't afford it y not sell the car or something, thats idiotic paying 800 a month just for insurance, if i was force to do that, bye bye si, hello bmx :D

mixedupneko
06-17-2003, 09:20 PM
SirMD go fuck yaself. I pay for my car myself and the little i pay for school (books food etc) thanks to financial aid and scholaships. Unlike alot of people my age im no what near mommy fed. and for the sinister si. im not looking for pitty nor anymore comments from you. im simply asking that you do not argue things you dont not know anything about.. as for trying to sell my car i tired i was even expecting the fact i will lose money but no 1 wants and EP and i even tried to get sum1 to take over my lease wich is 320 a month and now u can lease onef or 240 a month so no1 wants it. and i cant just let the car get repoed cuz my uncle helped me cosign so I can't screw him eather. it sucks but isnt that what lifes about.

foilpan
06-17-2003, 09:27 PM
ummm... :rolleyes:

SinisterCivicSi
06-18-2003, 11:06 AM
... and for the sinister si. im not looking for pitty nor anymore comments from you. im simply asking that you do not argue things you dont not know anything about......

but you told me everything i had and everyone else had to know right? so now, how do i know nothing about it?

i personally dont care. you came on this board bitching about how much you pay, if you didnt want peoples COMMENTS or opinions, then why did you even say anything?

not that important to me to argue about.... good luck wid all dat.

Tekdemon
06-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Don't whine if you pay $1200...I was paying over $2000 on the Si, until of course, my Si got wrecked.

So now the insurance company has to pay out the full value of my car. Of course I'm sure they'll find a way to jack my rates sky high to make it up, although hopefully they won't jack it too high since it wasn't my frickin fault...hopefully they'll get a large percentage back from the liability from another vehicle.

They charge you a pretty fair amount based on what the chance of your car getting really messed up is. Unfortunately for you, Civic Si's are just the target of way too much theft/vandalism, plus there is that nasty crashing chance...

It might also be how the car is set up...a safer car doesn't always mean a cheaper car to repair, and Honda's crumple zones might mean super expensive repairs...which would gel with the fact that my car was a total loss =(

To sum it up:
Since you're a male who got caught street racing, $1200 is plenty low. I was paying $2000+ for a CLEAN RECORD, and I'm sure next year I'll be paying $3000+ due to a speeding ticket plus the accident. Fun fun anticipation. It'll probably be something like $4000 just so they can earn back their loss over 3 years.

And if you're paying $9700 a year because of your record, you should just take a taxi everywhere. It'd probably be a hell of a lot cheaper shelling out $10 per ride around town instead of paying the equivalent of $37 a day to drive your car. Or take the bus dude, it'd be even cheaper! Stop driving for 3 years so everything drops off your record, then start driving again with a clean slate. Sure, it'll be a pretty shitty 3 years, but it's better than paying a billion dollars. And for christ's sake, go learn to drive again, because nobody should have a suspended license from their driving habits!

todaCspec
06-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Taxi = no good, unless company will reimburse payment

MTA bus/train (metro card platinum holder, myself) = good,only going and coming home from work, I=sleep on daily commute, too lazy to drive in traffic.
For hanging out or pick up girlies = no good

If you have to shell out alot for car insurance, it's best to buy a used car (92-95 civic(alot do get stolen, maybe not a good idea) , 96-98 civic, 93-97 delsol = pimp mobile, had the most fun in(AKA poor man's Porsche) and get liability and just make sure IF you get into an accident that it's not your fault. Some of these companies are literally looking to RAPE you!

STP03BlueSI
06-18-2003, 12:12 PM
The quote i got on the Ep, is 1355 every 6months. (16-20 years old with Allstate), when i turn 21 it goes to 835 every 6months.:D