PDA

View Full Version : RSX-S head swap--Super Street pg.245

chet
06-16-2003, 07:45 PM
I was curious if anyone had put any serious thought into this swap. I emailed Skunk2 about any info they could give. . ."I believe you need the head, ecu, and exhaust manifold." That is all they sent me, not even a name. The article also adds that the catalytic converter must be changed, and the guys from Hondata did some tuning to the ecu.

I NEED SOME ENGINE TECHS TO RESPOND PLEASE!!!

Is there anything else that one may need to successfully swap the heads out. I just feel the article in S.S. and the email I received from Skunk2 are both very vague. Thanks guys. BTW, this seems to be a lot less expensive than a turbo or JRSC, although I really have no idea what cost would be.

-Chet

chunky
06-16-2003, 08:31 PM
the mod supposedly nets 30+ whp, so it's definitely a worthwhile mod. the other 10hp that a real type-s motor has probably comes from the 11:0 compression v.s. the 9.8:1 compression of the a3 block.

anyhow, you'd need the head, head gasket, new head bolts, and ecu.

the k20a3 header should fit the a2 head as I believe the bolt pattern on the head is the same. the a2 header does have larger piping though. If you use the a2 header, you need the a2 cat b/c the length & flanges are different between the a3 and a2 cat.

just search for people who've done the type-s motor swap. any changes required in the header/cat would be identical for just swapping the head.

also, if you do this swap, you might wanna get a thinner head gasket to bump the compression up as much as possible to fully exploit the new head.

the JigGa mAn
06-16-2003, 09:23 PM
so lemme get this straight...if you do this Type S swap...which requires you to swap out the ECU for the Type S ECU im guessing that will raise your rev limit? also if one goes a head with this swap do you have to take the Type S ECU to a local honda dealer to get it reflashed, b/c of the immoblizer? no sure if im talkin outta my ass...but i thought id ask