PDA

View Full Version : How many miles?

sonic imperial
06-17-2003, 07:23 AM
Just curious, does everyone think we can get 200,000 miles on our cars without major maintenance? I want to keep my car for a long time and I plan to continue regular maintenance through the dealer for as long as I own the car. I know it's just speculation, but what do you think? Anyone own or know someone who owns a 99-00 si with really high mileage?

furious
06-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Depends too much on style of driving (AND environmental condition) to determine this..and probably no one here has owned an EP or 99-00Si long enough to hit 200k..

personally, I am not gonna let my EP hit that as I'll retire it before 200k...

BUT, I had a regular civic that hit 150k with only two sets of CV and timing belt changes....and an accord that hit 160k and then developed a cracked head.

BarracksSi
06-17-2003, 09:17 AM
My '86 Si hit 200K nearly three years ago (yeah, it was babied, I rarely had to drive it during college). It may have needed CV service once, a new clutch (probably 100K between clutches), new sparkplug wires, and new transmission bearings. The biggest issue was the A/C going bad, which would have cost more to replace than the car was worth by that point.

Not bad for a 17-year-old car -- I'm expecting to run my EP well past 300-400K. My family's '75 Plymouth Valiant rusted a Flintstone-foot-drive-style hole in its floor sometime after 10 years.

sonic imperial
06-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I had an '86 crx si with over 150k miles on it and it was still running decent when I sold it. I still see that car around town occasionally, not sure if anything has been done to it though.

r3p00c
06-17-2003, 12:36 PM
you'll be able to get 200k easy if you keep up on your maitenance, and take good care of the car. my old 93 ex coupe had 165k on it when i traded it in.. and it still ran like the day i bought it a few years previous. i'm sure i could have gotten at LEAST 300k out of it. although i'm positive i won't be keeping my that long, i'm sure its next owners will get quite a few miles out of it.

sonic imperial
06-17-2003, 01:06 PM
I guess the only reason I brought this up was because I put alot of miles on my car (drving to work and back is 50 miles/day). I'll easily put 20k per year, so that still gives me 5 years to hit 100k miles, so really it's nothing worry about. I guess in the long run it could be a very good way to save alot of money if I keep this car.

BlairSpeed
06-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Im going in today at 2:30 for my 10k service at the dealer. It costs about $65. I thought that was kinda high considering its just:

oil and filter change
tires rotated
all fluids topped
bumper to bumper inspection.

But its nice to have piece of mind and the documentation of the dealership. ;)

sonic imperial
06-17-2003, 01:20 PM
It is alot of money, however they document your visit so it is peace of mind at the same time. Sometimes I do wonder though how much they actually inspect it and if they do a thorough job.

SinisterCivicSi
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
my 93 dx coupe had 197, 598 miles on her when i sold her to my neighbor. she is easily over that now, he has been to ocean city a few times and i am always hearing him up and down the road.

as long as you keep up on the regular maintenance you will be fine. i never had a problem out of that car, everything that was done was regular maintenance, oil changes ever 4K, and the typical stuff, timing belts, water pumps, distributor, brakes, etc.

i bet if he doesnt wreck it, he will get to 300K easy.

glizard
06-17-2003, 04:08 PM
the honda dealer i used to work at has an accord wagon a courier owned that had 850k....yes 850000 miles and the dealership kept the car on trade in for kicks
i didnt' believe it either but the odo reads 850k and they have his service records
keep driving on
i sold my crx w/225k