PDA

View Full Version : Fallin' off the wagon...Should I get a Honda>?

madcow
06-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Hey guys. Nice site you have!
To make a long story short. I've always owned a Ford. I currently have a Focus hatch. I must say that i've been considering the SI hatch since they came out. So, give me all of your opinions on the new SI and tell me why I should buy the Civic SI. You have to admit they do look similiar. (focus-civic si).
Anyways....thx for any opinions. Feel free to check out my ride even though it's not a Honda!

http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.asp?section=profile&username=madcow

Thanks!!

-Madcow

SBC31
06-20-2002, 01:46 PM
I also had a ZX3 before this, and there is no comparison to the 2 cars. You can find out lot's of information just reading all the current threads.

SpacemanSpiff
06-20-2002, 01:54 PM
That's a good looking focus Madcow.
The Si does a lot of things right, and I'm partial to it. The shifter and seats are nearly perfect. Good handling stock, although the tires are pretty bad. Haven't been able to go WOT yet b/c I'm still breaking it in. There is some good stuff posted over at www.vtec.net They took an SI autocrossing and have a review and a video.
If you like Fords though, you really should check out the Focus SVT. All the magazines seem to love it. The edges are a little rougher than the civic, but it is a better performer stock.
There are lots of available choices right now: Civic Si, Sentra SE-R Spec V, Mini Cooper, Focus SVT
If you choose any one of these you will have made a darn good choice, just depends which one appeals to you the most.:cool:

punkdork
06-20-2002, 02:30 PM
How much do you want to pay?

I'd go this order:

WRX
RSX Type S
Golf 337
1.8t GTI
Civic Si/Focus SVT/SE-R

Something else you might want to wait for is the new Turbo Neon. I've seen it at a few Rally events and it looks pretty pimp and it should be in the 19-20k price range.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 02:34 PM
I think Fords SUCK...no offense, but I would get a new Si, before I would get a Ford Focus hatchback.

SpacemanSpiff
06-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Ugghh, I'm sure that the new turbo-neon will be a great performer, but the one my wife had before we got married really turned me off to Chrsler products. It had 30,000 Miles on it and it was leaking oil from somewhere, was so light that I felt unsafe on the highway, and the auto tranny only had 3 gears!! And it was supposedly the Sport model. The engine had good power I think, but it was never in the right gear b/c there were only 3 to choose from. Pretty Slow.
Getting rid of that thing was a no-brainer. Of course, the neon's light weight make them great racers, and I'm sure I would have liked my wifes more had it possessed a manual tranny.

I also assign some demerits to the Mini because of its Chrysler engine. I'll have to see some long term reliability before I think about buying one seriously.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 02:44 PM
If you buy a Dodge neon you will kick yourself in the ass everday for the rest of your life....TRUST ME they SUCK REAL BAD!!!!

punkdork
06-20-2002, 02:47 PM
The turbo neon is in a different class than the budget neons. Its like comparing an Si to a DX. It is still a domestic though. I forgot the mini too... it goes right above the SI in my book... though obnoxious popularity may drop it down some... we'll see.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Thats all we need is another suckey ass neon, they SUCK SOOO BAD...if I was you I would stick with Honda's Vtec engines. A turbo charged 4cylinder isnt gonna las thtat long, especially since its a neon. I bet after a half a year of running it your neon will begin to run sluggish as ever!!!

punkdork
06-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
Thats all we need is another suckey ass neon, they SUCK SOOO BAD...if I was you I would stick with Honda's Vtec engines. A turbo charged 4cylinder isnt gonna las thtat long, especially since its a neon. I bet after a half a year of running it your neon will begin to run sluggish as ever!!!

Not sure if I made it clear or not but this will be coming factory with the turbo.. not an aftermarket kit. 0-60 estimated to be under 7 with hp at ~200.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 02:57 PM
No you made it clear..but there is still just one problem...ITS A NEON!!!

punkdork
06-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
No you made it clear..but there is still just one problem...ITS A NEON!!!

Yeah... I keep thinking of that too... then I think of the first gen DSM cars with turbo and all wheel drive. They can still tear it up today... I'd still much rather go with an import but I don't think it's safe to ignore the neon completely.

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not....Im still not gonna give the neon any respect until I can see what the new little box on wheels will do!!!

02TafWhtSi
06-20-2002, 03:28 PM
There's way to much domestic bashing going on here - where's the love for any car that is a good performer? I'll admit an American car is not my first choice when it comes to buying a fast compact but regardless - 205-hp for a neon that probably weighs only 26oo lbs or less? Thats something to watch out for and even respect!

Pradamuimui
06-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Just admit it Dodge neon's suck....domestics suck

punkdork
06-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
There's way to much domestic bashing going on here - where's the love for any car that is a good performer? I'll admit an American car is not my first choice when it comes to buying a fast compact but regardless - 205-hp for a neon that probably weighs only 26oo lbs or less? Thats something to watch out for and even respect!

Out of the box plenty of domestics are great. They just don't seem to last long.

2002HatchSi
06-20-2002, 06:27 PM
well if u like civics and u like the specs get one....... but do your research wisley.... if u want more horsepower.. u might wanan go with the RSX type s or u might like the looks better..... hmm... i personally do not like the ford focus.... and if sone ones says " hey look at that focus" i could punch them lol all my buddy joke with me about the focus.. but personally i like the new civic SI

madcow
06-20-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replys. I was looking for more of a owners point of view on the new SI though. Like how do you like it and how does it compare to other honda's that you've owned. I really never understood all the Hate that goes on between imports guys and domestic guys?? We all do what we do to cars because we are tuners and enthusists(s/p?) right? We kinda all have the same objective dont we? Any way, not to start a import/domestic flame war or anything but really.
Do those of you that have the new SI have good and bad points that you could state? Also, I think the SVT focus is cool and all but my car right now runs what a stock SVT will run in the 1/4. Im looking for somthing that can be EASILY tuned with for instance a super charger or turbo and bump it to 200+ whp. I realize the Foci are new to the tuners scene but we have serious fuel managment issues that is limiting tuning over the 200 whp area. Im looking for an alternative, thats all. The Neon....uhhh, no thanks. Im just not a fan. WRX's are cool but now were in the 25k range.

ApexinSi
06-21-2002, 12:16 AM
Well, here goes my second post....

madcow....as far as hondas, I've owned: 88', 91' CRX si's, 95' hb si, 99' si, and now a 2k2 si. I'd have to say that this new Honda is the best by far...IMO. My CRX's didn't have power steering which was nice because you could feel the road alot more than a car with power steering. The 95' hatch and 99' si had power steering.......could hardly feel the road with it(of course I ripped the powersteering out of both). Stock the new Si, has excellent steering....with a bit of over steer, the best steering wheel I've ever seen in a stock honda...rest of the interrior is excellent, nice stock stereo sound system(6-speaker), nice shifter placement, seats really grab ahold of you around corners....I'm planning on swapping the stock wheels and dropping the car, from what I've heard on numerous accounts that after doing so greatly improves the handling and ride of the hatch.....I thought the car handled pretty damn good stock....can't wait till I swap the wheels and drop it. As far as a turbo/supercharger.....doesn't look like much room to throw stuff in there, but I'm sure something will come out....only time will tell, lots and lots o' aftermarker stuff is expected to be released for the car...get the new Si and join the many happy drivers.......and get back with me when you do.

CleanBlackSi02
06-22-2002, 07:08 AM
I owned a Neon....it was the WORST car EVER! It was in the shop every two months with oil leaks, transmission problems, brake problems, everything!......be smart.....keep it Honda.

SiCivic2k2
06-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Very nice ride madcow! Can't imagine you wanting to get rid of it after putting so much into it. Anyway, imo I think that Honda's just a little better of a car than Ford. Definately has better resale value and will probably last longer. (no offense) The SVT Focus and the Civic Si perform about the same from what I've read, so I guess it's just looks and style. The Si has awesome seats with the shifter mounted in a perfect spot with a pretty short throw. Other than that, they do look pretty similiar. :D Like others have said, you might want to look into the Nissan SE-R Spec V. These are pretty cool, but I test drove one and didn't like the way it felt at all. It's a 6-speed so it goes through the gears real fast. I was in 3rd gear and I hadn't even hit 60mph yet. Way too much shifting going on. Also with the 17's that it comes with made the ride a little bumpy. I guess that's the price you pay for bigger wheels though. The Si is very smooth and you can't hardly feel any bumps in the road. All in all, to each his own. It's all about what YOU like and what makes YOU happy. Don't get something because someone else likes it. You'll regret it in the long run.

SER Speedalot
06-22-2002, 05:11 PM
i must say i agree with everybody on the neons suck theory. however, i'd still give the new turbo neon a chance. you know that thing has gotta scream. and i am definitely an import man, but are you guys hating on the old school domestics, or just the new ones. cuz i gotta say that my friend has a 73 cuda. that thing rips my head back better than anything i've ever ridden in. it doesn't have too much mods either. just headers and cams. it can roast the tires off in third. there's somethin to say about that.

SiCivic2k2
06-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Everyone's going off subject. You're suppose to be giving this guy advice on getting a Honda! :)

02TafWhtSi
06-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Right - buy a Honda, any Honda. You will not regret it. OK?

xlr8
06-23-2002, 03:43 PM
i love my si. it is the most refined best performing little car ive been in. i have been in much faster cars, but they all lacked in the refined feel of the car. ive owned a wide array of vehicles, so i have an idea of other cars. imo the new si is a great tuner car. it is a nice handling car stock, but much better now. it has good power, but that can always be improved. and it is a nice looking car, but you can change the whole looks to the type r, or when body kits become available buy those. in all i think it is an great car for the money and am suprised they arent selling the greatest, just makes it a little more rare i guess