PDA

View Full Version : hondata or wait for cams?

kenis138
06-18-2003, 06:36 AM
Hey guys, I have mod fever again, really wanna do somethin to the car.....
Anyway, I know that the Skunk2 cams are coming out soon. I am considering either waiting for them or getting Hondata, cant really afford both in the near future. Which way would be better?

Keep in mind the considerations for me: Performance, Price, ease of install, affect on resale....thanks for the input guys.

c0mf0rt
06-18-2003, 06:58 AM
How soon on the cams????? I'm kind of in the same position you are.... and I've been fighting the Hondata demon for a few months....

jerky
06-18-2003, 10:00 AM
if you want to go ease of install and price then hondata is the way to go. resale? just keep your stock cams. i keep all my stock stuff, like intake and exhaust...

myself, i would wait for the cams. i don't have much faith in hondata right now. i don't think they can help the I/H/E people. although, i am sure someone WITH hondata will chime in and say to get it before the cams, but i wouldn't just in case you were gonna get cams anyway. get the cams first then wait for a flash to come out then get hondata.

if you really have the itch to mod do some suspension work or get a grounding kit.

!@#$%
06-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by jerky
if you want to go ease of install and price then hondata is the way to go. resale? just keep your stock cams. i keep all my stock stuff, like intake and exhaust...

myself, i would wait for the cams. i don't have much faith in hondata right now. i don't think they can help the I/H/E people. although, i am sure someone WITH hondata will chime in and say to get it before the cams, but i wouldn't just in case you were gonna get cams anyway. get the cams first then wait for a flash to come out then get hondata.

if you really have the itch to mod do some suspension work or get a grounding kit.

good advice. I say wait on the cams. I'm sure hondata will tweak thier system when more engine stuff becomes available.

kenis138
06-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, too late I guess, I just bought the Hondata :D

We shall see how it goes. I know what the dyno #s show, but every person on this board who has gotten it (even with I/H/E) has been impressed. Oh well, at least Ive got the initial $600.00 outta the way, Ill let you guys know how it goes!;)

c0mf0rt
06-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Please do since you seem to be pretty impartial.... thanks man...

jerky
06-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by c0mf0rt
Please do since you seem to be pretty impartial.... thanks man...

good call.

good luck man.

GeNoZiDe
06-18-2003, 01:51 PM
im waitin for the cams! :D

tkm
06-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Aggressive cams are gonna suck when the 6800rpm revlimiter smacks you in the face.

Then again, the Hondata is tuned for oem cams. It's a catch22.

SmoothOperator
06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
What are the advantages of aftermarket cams? Somebody please enlighten me...

myeverlovinsir
06-18-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
Well, too late I guess, I just bought the Hondata :D

We shall see how it goes. I know what the dyno #s show, but every person on this board who has gotten it (even with I/H/E) has been impressed. Oh well, at least Ive got the initial $600.00 outta the way, Ill let you guys know how it goes!;)

Congrats on the Hondata, you won't be disappointed, even if
you see no gains on the dyno as we have. (I/H/E heatshield/TB)

What will be better is that you have an advantage when the
cams go in. Higher redline and adv. timing. A more aggressive
car. What I am not sure about is if you will require an upgraded
tune to get the full potential from the cams. I think Hondata
is not in the business of doing that. Whoever you get the cams
from, you want to make sure that they are compatable with
stock and/or the Hondata flash. Last thing you want is to
buy larger cams that are incompatable with the Hondata flash.
My .02 cdn cents.:)

chunky
06-18-2003, 09:01 PM
man, i'm kind of let down in that hondata built their company around providing quality STANDALONE engine management systems for a reasonable price.

Now it seems they're focusing on a more proprietary method of selling one time use flash programs. Meaning whereas before if you bought a hondata, you were set, you could rather easily re-tune the car for whatever mods you have. But now if you get new mods, you have to struggle on with an ecu program that is not tailor made for your setup.

kind of disappointing to me b/c I certainly do NOT believe in one size fits all upgrade chips.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to making power n/a.

if you get cams, and you want to make the most power from them, there is no other choice except a true standalone engine management system. Hold out for the AEM EMS. the hondata is 600 bucks, plus reflashes at 200 bucks a pop. You'll find that in no time you would have been better off just spending the 1200 for the AEM EMS or some other real standalone engine management.

Hopefully hondata will not totally abandon fully programmable standalone ECUs.

btw, the k20 with cams sounds mean as FUCK. cam the bitch! (oh well, I know it's too late, but i just had to say).

2k2ep
06-20-2003, 11:58 AM
before long the cams will be out and they will learn to tune them. Im waiting on hondata for last. by then I will have the money and they will have worked the quirks out. I hope