PDA

View Full Version : Redline Water Wetter

EP3smoker
06-18-2003, 06:39 AM
i live in houston tx and its hot as hell. I ve never used redline water wetter before. should i buy it or is it a waste of money. any info on this product would kick ass.

andy
06-18-2003, 08:06 AM
I don't know that it will make a significant difference (I guess if
you have a good temperature gauge you could try and see),
but I do know that people will use this when changing/flushing
their coolant...I think it helps protect against any rusting/corrosion
in the water/coolant system, right? Basically, I'd say it wouldn't
hurt, and that stuff probably isn't that expensive...

FCobra94
06-18-2003, 08:53 AM
I put it in the daily driver (1990 Volvo 740GL). The only thing that I noticed was that it didn't necesarily keep it cooler, like a lower temperature thermostat would do, but when you shut the car off after reaching normal operating temperature and then start it up again a few minutes later, the temperature came down much faster w/ the Watter Wetter in there. Even in the summer. So I guess it would be of use when drag racing because as you sit in the staging lanes the temp drops much faster and by the time you pull up to the line, your engine is nice and cool ;) I only put a few ounces of it in though (5 to 6 ounces or about half the bottle) and have about a 60/40 mix of water/coolant.

Other than that, for it to work well you have to put a higher mix of water over anti-freeze. Here are some figures from the back of the bottle:

50% Glycol/50% water = 228 deg F
50/50 + Water Wetter = 220 deg F
Water Only = 220 deg F
Water + Water Wetter = 202 deg F

So I guess it should still work good when mixing it in w/ the stock stuff. But like I said, I didn't notice the temp gauge any lower when I added it to my Volvo at normal operatin temperature. It just cooled down faster. *But* my cousin was having cooling problems w/ his '91 Mustang after lowering it and adding heads/cam/etc and dumped a bottle in and noticed his car ran much cooler afterwards, at all times.

So it's pretty much up to you. A bottle is only about $6-$7 at Pep Boys. I'd say give it a go :D

SiRman
06-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Water Wetter is good stuff, I had it in my R6, which has a digital temp gauge. With distilled water and Water Wetter it ran between 10-12 deg. F cooler.

Reg. Coolant with Water Wetter will help a little.

50/50 or 60/40 Water/Coolant with Water Wetter will work
better.

Straight distilled water with Water Wetter will cool best,
great for the track but a little risky on the street depending on your climate. (You can always put coolant back in before winter).

I have the Spoon Rad cap, with Watter wetter added to my coolant, and plan on eventually getting the Spoon thermo switch, thermostat(Mugen), and Hondata gasket.

JSIR
06-18-2003, 10:36 AM
I run water wetter , I can't say the product has made any difference cause I have all the cooling mods such as thermostat and fan switch as well. But I believe in the product and trust Redline. I e-mailed Redline about this and they replied that it is compatible with Honda coolant. When I did the mod I also increased the water content, now using 60% water to 40% coolant plus water wetter. My car runs great in hot weather that is all I can say, it dynos the same numbers when the engine is fully hot as it does when the enigine is cool, so that I have noticed.

hth

Joey

EP3smoker
06-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Hmm. now i really want to get all the cooling mods .where can i find everything on line.

Thanks for the imput.

oh ya. i used to a have a chevy s-10 v6 and i changed the thermostat out for a lower temp thermo and my gas milage got alittle shitter. anyone have this problem on there SI.

FCobra94
06-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by EP3smoker

oh ya. i used to a have a chevy s-10 v6 and i changed the thermostat out for a lower temp thermo and my gas milage got alittle shitter. anyone have this problem on there SI.

I think that is because when you lower the temperature like that, the engine isn't as efficient at burning the fuel as it used to be. I'm assuming that since it's not as much heat as their once was and their for making the mixture not as "combustable."

JSIR
06-18-2003, 01:29 PM
our engines use coolant temps to regulate which fuel and timing maps to use. As coolant temps rise ignition timnig and fuel is reduced/retarded. As coolant temps stay low, the ecu uses more fuel and timing . That could affect fuel consumption a bit, but running more ignition timing usually benefits fuel consumption, so I don't know the overall effect would be. I haven't noticed any big changes, my fuel consumption got much worse after I did the intake mod., that is what I noticed.

Joey

GeNoZiDe
06-18-2003, 01:50 PM
ya i put that stuff in
got a mugen thermostat
spoon thermoswitch and the rad cap as well

FCobra94
06-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
I haven't noticed any big changes, my fuel consumption got much worse after I did the intake mod., that is what I noticed.

Joey

What intake mod are you refering to? I'm new to the EP world so any extra info like this helps a ton :D

Thanks!

JSIR
06-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94

What intake mod are you refering to? I'm new to the EP world so any extra info like this helps a ton :D

Thanks!

I just mean that when I added an intake to the vehicle that my mileage got worse. This was when I had the K&N SRI. Dunno why it got worse at that time, but that is what I noticed. Not sure of my mileage with the Comptech intake I now have, haven't driven it enough.

Joey

FCobra94
06-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by JSIR

I just mean that when I added an intake to the vehicle that my mileage got worse. This was when I had the K&N SRI. Dunno why it got worse at that time, but that is what I noticed. Not sure of my mileage with the Comptech intake I now have, haven't driven it enough.

Joey

Oooh. I see. I thought that maybe you meant there was some type of coolant re-routing to by-pass the t/b or something, kinda like on the Camaro engines that I wasn't aware of.

Interesting outcome though...

siver-SI
06-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Ok why are you all using this in a car with anitfreeze? Do you know what water wetter was made for? I use this product in my racecars. What it is made for is when you run strait water in your car you have no lubricant for the water pump and other parts on the cooling system like the thermostate so this will give these parts lubrication so they do not burn out. Trust me found this out the hard way way after I killed my water pump on my accord after 3 races. Anitfreeze has this lubricant all ready in there so I would not see the need to put this in your street car. This is just from what I have read about this product and I use this product now in all my race cars.

SiRman
06-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Read the label. Although the lubricating properties are important, the main purpose is to increase the wetting ability of water.
If you are running only 50% water, then obviously you only get part of this benifit, since water cools better then coolant.

bioevolve
06-23-2003, 03:54 PM
I just drained the radiator and filled it with almost bottles of water wetter. It's really hot here where I'm at, so every bit counts. Plus cooler is better ;)