PDA

View Full Version : Recall Anyone? (Tranny Woes)

simann
06-18-2003, 07:03 AM
I have my clutch pedal now poping, synchros grinding in 1-4th gears now. These transmission woes are getting to my head!

My Honda dealerships in my area say its just fne, and there are NO problems.....

Can I get EVERYONE who has these problems to post what problems you have and then we can somehow take this to honda to get all are cars recalled. This needs to be done before some of our warranties run out and thus we that have problems still would be left in the cold.

PLEASE POST YOUR CAR PROBLEMS.;)

I wnat to hear everything thats wrong with our cars!

Vertigo
06-18-2003, 11:01 PM
My clutch pedal has always made a slight popping noise since day one. Never thought much of it. As for the synchro problem, nothing yet. Mabye your just being to hard on her..lol "Double cluching instead of granny shifting" :D

l33t
06-18-2003, 11:32 PM
yeah i got my tranny and clutch replaced i had to pay for the clutch, the car will still scrath if i slam it from 1st to 2nd, but i can still shift fast if i don't slam it, and ever since then i get the clutch pedal sound i didn't have it before

02CivicSI-VTEC
06-19-2003, 01:47 AM
well here's my problem that i am having. my clutch does make the noise that everyone is talking about beside that there another thing that worrie me. :( once in a while driving on the freeway when i want to downshift to 4th or 3rd to slow down for traffic or to race... the weirdist thing is that some time i step on the clutch all the way i felt a shake like there somthing wrong with the clutch. when i tried to put it into gear it wont go in. :'( im not sure what is the problem, but once i got it back in, it started to shift like normal... werid:eek: if i bring it back to the dealer they will ask me to show them the problem, but the thing is that it do not happen when i want it too.. its comes and goes :'( ..... do any one know where to get a copy of all the recall stuff .... it seem like our car have a lot of recalled parts.

rgGolf4
06-19-2003, 05:50 AM
I haven't had any problems with my tranny, and this is my first stick.

Also, I haven't heard of any recalled parts. In fact, this is the best car I've ever had in terms of quality. I have had virtually no issues with it so far.

George Knighton
06-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Hmmm.

I feel guilty, but the transmissions and clutches in all three of our EP3 are doing just fine.

One of the black ones was even used as an instructor car at the ITR Expo, and it's still fine.

I wonder what you guys have in common.

Steve02Si
06-19-2003, 07:03 AM
For all of you who are destroying your synchros already, might I suggest a nice base RSX auto. :o

cbecker333
06-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Steve02Si
For all of you who are destroying your synchros already, might I suggest a nice base RSX auto. :o

Right, I "destroyed" my synchros...INTENTIONALLY. That makes perfect sense....

Actually Honda destroyed my synchros for me, obviously through some kind of design flaw. There is no other good explanation (that I have heard) for the large number of different people having this problem.

Honda reps must come on this site from time to time - they MUST. How can they sit idle and do nothing when the Honda name is suffering and all those folks who originally badmouthed the reborn Si are being vindicated?

A while back, I never saw myself saying this, but now its the truth:
I'm VERY disappointed with Honda and with my Honda in particular. The only thing that will change that now is a recall or another long-term solution to the problem.

Steve02Si
06-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by cbecker333

Right, I "destroyed" my synchros...INTENTIONALLY. That makes perfect sense....

Actually Honda destroyed my synchros for me, obviously through some kind of design flaw. There is no other good explanation (that I have heard) for the large number of different people having this problem.

Honda reps must come on this site from time to time - they MUST. How can they sit idle and do nothing when the Honda name is suffering and all those folks who originally badmouthed the reborn Si are being vindicated?

I was being sarcastic, but you can't seriously believe Honda reps care what a site with 2000 members has to say, especially with all the talk of mods, "kills", "owning" someone,...

I drive my car like what it is: a fun economy car. I think alot of people here are dillusional in believing they bought a race car for under $20k. Synchros are wear items just like a clutch, how fast they wear is entirely up to you.

Tenacious G
06-19-2003, 11:33 AM
i have minimal grind in my transmission in the 1-2 shift.

honda is going to be like any other manufacturer in the sense that they aren't going to do a recall if only a handful of people complaining about their transmission on a discussion board of 2,000 members (not all of whom visit reguarly or even own an EP). if it's an isolated problem, they'll fix stuff here and there, but it doesn't seem this tranny problem will warrant a recall in their opinion.

it's not personal, it's business.

cbecker333
06-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Steve02Si

I was being sarcastic, but you can't seriously believe Honda reps care what a site with 2000 members has to say, especially with all the talk of mods, "kills", "owning" someone,...

I drive my car like what it is: a fun economy car. I think alot of people here are dillusional in believing they bought a race car for under $20k. Synchros are wear items just like a clutch, how fast they wear is entirely up to you.

I thought you were maybe being sarcastic so I didn't scream like I usally do.....

In your second paragraph you are suggesting that a chunky, clunky transmission is a NORMAL thing to have after 15,000 miles of driving? I drive my car hard from time to time, but I don't beat on it, its my baby. In fact I baby the shit out of it, always have. What I have gotten in return for all that caring, and typically granny-like driving is a transmission that is completely different than what I test-drove on. Honda sure as shit advertises the car like its a race-car...hell, on my first test drive, the salesman floored the thing so hard he chirped the tires going into 2nd gear! If they made an econo-transmission (which everyone will tell you this is NOT, due to the use of higher-performing triple-cone synchros) they should have built a pure economy car around that, given it maybe 130hp and sold it without the "Si" badge.

"Synchros are wear items" - well if I am going to be wearing out synchros every 15,000 miles then I should probably be looking into trade-in options because thats not something I can afford.

cbecker333
06-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G

honda is going to be like any other manufacturer in the sense that they aren't going to do a recall if only a handful of people complaining about their transmission on a discussion board of 2,000 members (not all of whom visit reguarly or even own an EP). if it's an isolated problem, they'll fix stuff here and there, but it doesn't seem this tranny problem will warrant a recall in their opinion.

I totally agree with that, its probably overly-optimistic to think that they'd just out and start replacing 1000's of parts if only some of us have the problem. Perhaps a silent-recall will be issued, or even just a bulletin that identifies the problem so that dealers stop blaming it on abuse or insisting that nothing is wrong.

Daft Si
06-19-2003, 10:12 PM
The only problem that I have had is the car doen't always want to go into reverse. The shifter is in the write position, but when you let the clutch out it grinds. So I move to nuetral and start again. It usually pops in on the second try. And yes this is from a dead stop, no rolling. Has this happened to anyone else?

simann
06-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Stupid economy car freaks :rolleyes:

I drive a Civic Si, the performance version of the civic line......

My synchros have done this since about 7000 miles!

Honda should of at least built a tranny that could take 160 economy HP right?

You guys are so freakin retarded!:p

cbecker333
06-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by simann
You guys are so freakin retarded!:p

HAHAH....LOL....If they're retarded then I'm extra retarded with retarded sauce on top.:confused: :confused: :confused:

rook
06-20-2003, 07:38 AM
I have 4k miles on the car now, if I take it to redline, the 1 to 2 gear change grinds hard. I have driven manual trans Hondas for 20 years without ever experiencing this or any other trans problems. 83 accord, 88 accord, 90 accord, 92 integra, 94 accord, 95 civic si, 03 civic si. Is it me or the car? It's the car!

rook

Silver7
06-20-2003, 08:38 AM

HAHAH....LOL....If they're retarded then I'm extra retarded with retarded sauce on top.:confused: :confused: :confused:

may I have that with some retarded soda please?

:p

simann
06-20-2003, 10:33 PM
I got my ccar to honda and had a guy test drive it with me in it this time....the guy thought I was crazy and a waste of his time,

He lugged my car around for a couple of minutes and said :well everything seems to be alright"...
I looked at him dead in the eyes and I said take it up to 5000.
He took it up to 5000 and OMG, it Fluckin grinded like a pepper shaker at an italina reteraunt!

needless to say he felt really dumb then an automatically assumed the role of helpful comrad.

the service manager was not there today but is gonna be there on monday same with me....;)

By the way, he looked up on there little Honda service bullitin server and serched for synchronizer problems and found a LONG and interesting paragraph about them, needles to say he did not let me read it!:rolleyes:

oh and by the way....didnt I make it clear enough when I posted this thread to only post if you have transmission problems?

JLannoo
06-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by rook
I have 4k miles on the car now, if I take it to redline, the 1 to 2 gear change grinds hard.

rook

Yea that happens with me too. Only if if your reving high and only 1st to 2nd. Its easy to avoid...just shouldnt happen.

fASTBACK
06-22-2003, 11:05 PM
Mine grinds also....from when I bought it too.

WE NEED A RECALL or they will bitch about us abusing it..

skooba
06-23-2003, 02:22 AM
I've had this problem a few times as well, but I honestly don't think its the car, I think its my fault, but the more and more it happens, the more I start to wonder

todaCspec
06-23-2003, 06:33 AM
By the way, he looked up on there little Honda service bullitin server and serched for synchronizer problems and found a LONG and interesting paragraph about them, needles to say he did not let me read it!:rolleyes:

Is there any way you could find out more info about this?

I've driven a few at the dealerships and i've always bring the first 3 gears to redline and never had any problems. This info is good to know since i here some many complaints here, thanks for sharing.

I know on the S2000 (00,01) they had a few recalls w/the clutch, i think it was grinding or whining noise.

bensa
06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
First hot day of the year and I find my EP kinda whines at Higher RPM :( not sure why I think i gonna take it in... also had this weird grinding noise when I enter my garage with AC on... no AC car drives perfectly fine.

I hate this.

Mugen_EP
06-23-2003, 03:22 PM
You guys can flame me all you want but here is my opinion and a couple of questions. I'm not assuming anything and I'm sure some people have legitamite claims but this just seems rediculous.

1) How many of you learned how to drive manual in the EP?

2) For how many of you this is your first manual?

3) How many of you have never driven a "performance" car? (ex. 11-12 sec)

4) Do you know how to shift?

5) Do you know how to properly "speed shift"?

For numbers 4 and 5 you may think you do but have you tried letting someone else drive your car like "simann" did? Maybe its just you. My friend was complaining about the same problem and I drove it and it was fine. He kept asking how I did it and what I was doing. I told him DRIVING, learn how to do it before you attempt to "speed shift".

We all learn to walk before we run.;)

and I dont care if I'm not having this problem I'm still gonna post my opinion.

:angel:

cbecker333
06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
1) How many of you learned how to drive manual in the EP?

I learned on my bro's wrangler.

2) For how many of you this is your first manual?

Me.

3) How many of you have never driven a "performance" car? (ex. 11-12 sec)

Not me.

4) Do you know how to shift?

Is that where I use the thing on the dashboard to change the gear ratio between engine/drive shaft? Yes, I think I know.

5) Do you know how to properly "speed shift"?

And how is that different from normal shifting?

I read the manual when I got the car and all it says about shifting is:
"The manual transmission in synchronized in all forward gears for smooth operation. It has a lockout so you cannot shift directly from Fifth to Reverse. When shifting up or down, make sure you push the clutch pedal down all the way, shift to the next gear, and let the pedal up gradually...."

If theres something more I need to know about properly shifting then what is it and why is it not in my car's manual? ( I was always bothered by the lack of details in the above passage)

Regarding technique: I do agree that how you shift makes a big difference in how the transmission reacts. I notice that letting the RPMs fall AT ALL before shifting will make every shift more difficult and clunky. It seems important to be applying very slight pressure to the gas when moving between gears, even when the clutch is down. Shifting @ 4k RPM always works better for me, too. Keeping these things in mind makes the problem go away most of the time, and the summer heat makes it better also. I don't get the grind between gears that some people talk about, even at high RPM, but it remains clunky at times.

simann
06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
I let the Dealer Service manager drive my car today.......complete and utter waste of my time. Since I am 18 years old you can guess that the guys look at me as if I no nothing about a car..

The guy grinded third like 4 times but since it was not grinding every time he said it might ne a bent shifter fork, MY ASS!!!!

also some of us including me have poping clutch pedals.....the service manager told me it might be the "cruise control, there is a little spring down there that might need to be lubricated." he switched the cruise conrtol on and off trying to act like he was doing something. I just sat there in my car wondering when this would end
:rolleyes:

I have nearly given up on my warranty claim and about to jsut build me up the 6 speed tranny from the type-s...which my friend has already done. Honda would not give me the parts sheets drawings and part numbers...although a quick trip to the Acura Dealership ended in sucess, know I see the difference internally in the trannys...not much!

I will keep yall updated....
;)

NBP_03Si
06-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 02CivicSI-VTEC
well here's my problem that i am having. my clutch does make the noise that everyone is talking about beside that there another thing that worrie me. :( once in a while driving on the freeway when i want to downshift to 4th or 3rd to slow down for traffic or to race... the weirdist thing is that some time i step on the clutch all the way i felt a shake like there somthing wrong with the clutch. when i tried to put it into gear it wont go in. :'( im not sure what is the problem, but once i got it back in, it started to shift like normal... werid:eek: if i bring it back to the dealer they will ask me to show them the problem, but the thing is that it do not happen when i want it too.. its comes and goes :'( ..... do any one know where to get a copy of all the recall stuff .... it seem like our car have a lot of recalled parts.

it happens to me in 3rd gear ones, what i do now is that every time i down shift i make sure that the gear is on the rigth place( what i think happened to me is that i realeased the clutch and the gear was not jet there), i don't shift slower now, i try to shift more percise :(

02CivicSI-VTEC
06-24-2003, 02:38 AM
well i just put my baby Si at the dealership and that i really miss it already :'( . i let the tech drive my car and he said there is something wrong with my clutch indeed. is the clutch under warrenty? they said that when they open the tranny out to check what is wrong. everything that is was broken or was abuse by aggrestive driving is not cover and i have to pay 1,100:'( .. that alot ( including labor ) if they find somthing that is defected from factory then they will cover the whole thing and give me a new one.. but i doubt it. they will make me pay for that BS... even if i get my car back with out fixing it. i still have to pay labor $800 :'( ( that hurts alot ) just have to wait for tomorrow to hear what they have to say and hope it cover under warrenty because i really really dont want to pay for that shit... expectly the labor.. that's is way too much for me.

Tekdemon
06-24-2003, 03:40 AM
I'm gonna agree that most of you guys having trouble probably don't know how to shift properly.

I'm not saying I do, I'm just saying you guys don't =P

I've been frequenting WRX forums(seeing if I should get it for my next car) and their transmission is WAY more sensitive. You're almost guaranteed to have trouble if you upgrade the power on the WRX, which is why you'll see almost all the upgrade packages come with upgraded synchros and/or gears(heh). Sure, you can blame it on the transmission(which by the way, is strained more by upgrades than in a FWD car because of the fact that the gears have to drive 4 wheels so when you mush them together there's just more strain), but there is an OLDER gentleman who has about 300whp and runs the STOCK TRANSMISSION with no problems.

Gee, I wonder if it's because he knows how to drive? =P

Seriously though, Honda never intended the transmission to do some of the stuff I see suggested in posts here(*ahem* I recall seeing a post about pulling the e-brake then loading the clutch to speed up your drag slip times).

For the record I never had syncro scrapes upshifting, but I only had the car about 4000 miles anyway.

And I actually found some good info from the WRX forums, some of their people found this manual transmission oil that significantly lowered their own synchro grinding. Each car manufacturer recommends different grades of oils so I don't even know if the Si can use it(improper grades can literally corrode your synchros and gears!), but perhaps transmission fluid upgrades in general can be looked at to solve some of these problems(which I still believe are 90% related to the driver)

simann
06-24-2003, 06:49 AM
No, I believe we ALL can shift properly.....its just sad that a transmission cannot handle 160 weak little pathetic Horse Power!

:rolleyes: ;) ;)

simann
06-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Tekdemon......your gay:p

Your car only has 4000 miles on it? who are you to say anything....please dont post if you DONT have any problems.

some of you guys just have the mentality that eveyone will agree with your little smart ass posts.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics,
even if you win your still retarded..

just please refrain from posting jiberish trying to make yourself look smart!:p

tony speed
06-24-2003, 07:21 AM
i changed my transmission fluid today....mmmm. silky smooth shifts. no grinds as of yet. i'll redline it going home and test it out some more.....hey, who's engine you calling weak? don't make my car angry. :rolleyes:

cbecker333
06-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
i changed my transmission fluid today....mmmm. silky smooth shifts.

Enjoy it while it lasts...I got about a week of smooth shifting after the fluid change, then its back to craptacular. Still slightly better than it was though....

tony speed
06-24-2003, 07:59 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts...I got about a week of smooth shifting after the fluid change, then its back to craptacular. Still slightly better than it was though....

well, fortunately i haven't had problems with my tranny. i only get an ocasional grind from 1st to second cause of driver error.

simann
06-25-2003, 06:51 AM
What oil did you use?:o

cbecker333
06-25-2003, 10:39 AM
What oil did you use?:o

They replaced the stock fluid with Honda MTF.....

My 1-2 shift is still not perfect at low RPM, but better than before the tranny fluid replacement. Whats funny is that I get better, smoother feeling 1-2 shifts @ high RPM (sounds crayzee, but true). Anyway, I'm hoping that it might continue to improve with more use.....

hth

simann
06-26-2003, 06:27 AM
Its our sucky synchros' that wont let us shift easy at low rpm's.
:'(

02CivicSI-VTEC
06-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I just got my car back from the dealership and i got a brand new clutch.. i was wondering how long dose it take on the brake in period?

David K.
06-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Here's my thoughts on this subject. I've had my car for just over a year and have 37,000 miles on it. I've owned many manual tranny cars in my life and the only time I've experienced the grinding probs. I had with my Si was with my 85 Mustang, and guess what, it needed to be rebuilt. My tranny started grinding 3rd at around 15,000 miles and got progressively worse over time, eventually grinding EVERY shift, at ANY rpm. The dealer rebuilt the tranny and so far everything is fine.
My clutch pedal started popping and clicking around the same time the trans. was going bad, and they replaced the clutch pedal assembly at the same time as the transmission rebuild. Unfortunately the clutch started making noise again about a week after I got it back. Obviously there is a weak link in our transmissions, as too many people are having this problem. You guys who are not having these problems, don't assume the rest of us cannot operate our vehicles properly, just consider yourselves lucky.