PDA

View Full Version : upcoming hondata review

kenis138
06-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I bit the bullet and decided to get the Hondata flash. I know there has been a lot of discussion and still a lot of skepticism from those with I/H/E, including myself. I should have it by next weekend and will look forward to giving everyone a VERY objective review from a skeptic's point of view. Stay "tuned" ...;) :cool: :D

kenis138
06-19-2003, 09:20 AM
oh, btw, looking for opinions on the rev limiter, should i take off the stock limit? <ducks bottle being whirled at head for being a pansie>

I just want to rest assured that these engines can easily handle the load above the stock limit on occasion. Keep in mind its a daily driver and i dont frequent the race track, so balls to the wall 1/4 times are not my top priority.

Go on......encourage me! :D

2k2_nbp_egg
06-19-2003, 10:30 AM
If you have I/H/E from what I've heard from most people, part throttle response is decreased and the powerband is pushed up a little? Everyone who has gotten hondata says that part throttle response is improved noticeably, and w/ ur I/H/E setup you' probably make peak power right after the stock redline, so I'd recommend you to get the raised rev limit version.

Revving it past 7k daily shouldn't be too much of problem, just be smart about taking it past the mark.

ssvr6
06-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Ken,

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to post your "review" of the reflash on my site.

Steve

jerky
06-19-2003, 11:10 AM
up the rev limit!

kenis138
06-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by ssvr6
Ken,

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to post your "review" of the reflash on my site.

Steve

:) :D :'( :'( :D
I'd be....honored

heheh, yeah, no problem!

Oh, and I have decided to up the rev limit as well.

redronin22
06-19-2003, 11:37 AM
so far so good i believe i've logged on just shy of 8k miles with HONDATA on my ride. Ive hit 7700k quite often and the engine still pulls strong. No strange noises or poor idleling etc. Ill post some vids of redline n shifting, mph each gear etc when i get the chance.

IceD out N CALI
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by redronin22
so far so good i believe i've logged on just shy of 8k miles with HONDATA on my ride. Ive hit 7700k quite often and the engine still pulls strong. No strange noises or poor idleling etc. Ill post some vids of redline n shifting, mph each gear etc when i get the chance.

thats nice to know our A3 motors can take some punishment and not give out:)

ThickMick
06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
You're going to love it. You won't know how you lived without it.

Beware, hondata will affect your objectivity and you'll have to get used to having a "pro hondata bias" just like the rest of us who have it. :D

I've had it going on 5K and no problems. I don't take it past 7500 just to be safe and cause the real gain is down below 7000, mmmkay?

ballsdeep
06-19-2003, 02:45 PM
I've been kicking this around as well I was going to get NX but now I'm thinking about getting Hondata instead. I'm looking forward to your review so keep us posted.

myeverlovinsir
06-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Good luck with that review Ken, lord knows I've posted numerous
times about the first and second times I've challenged the hondata flash. I am happy to have contributed to the upgrade
of the second flash to prevent detonation and potentially destroying our rides over time. You should not be disappointed.
Congrats.

My hondata first impressions (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7746&highlight=hondata)

Hondata Update (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7554&highlight=hondata)

Hondata dyno day (3 EP's on the dyno) (http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=8082&highlight=hondata)

and about 100 posts littered within other threads. ;)

SiR_YO
06-22-2003, 08:03 PM
I have a demo version of the hondata flash ECU in my car right now (immoblizer light lights up), and my engine is bone stock at the moment...

has anyone drove around with this flash and with a stock engine? I know they're tuned for I/H/E setup (which I will be getting all next week)..... so I guess I shouldn't expect too many gains stock wise?

I felt better throttle response, higher rev limit, and vtec kicked in a little sooner.........

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-22-2003, 08:34 PM
I'll be posting a review of Hondata as well.
I have the ECU right next to me.
Just need Eric (civicracer.com) to program my keys!
Hes on vacation till Weds...
So it'll be soon...

BTW: I think everyone knows my opinion of Hondata (:thumbs down: due to the $600 pricetag), so my review should be pretty damn unbiased.

For the record, I got this Hondata for less than most of you probably paid for your short ram intakes...lol....
:eek:

kenis138
06-23-2003, 05:31 AM
yes, we shall see. although yer reviews (everlovin) do not inspire the greatest confidence ;) I dunno, other people speak very highly of it. Just want to find out for myself...

ssvr6
06-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
For the record, I got this Hondata for less than most of you probably paid for your short ram intakes...lol....
:eek:

How the hell did you swing that?

Steve

kenis138
06-23-2003, 06:06 AM
........although the notion of a "much livelier drive" as you stated in an earlier thread is what particularly appeals to me, so long as this holds true, I will be happy! :D

All of the detonation problems have been corrected, yes? Will I be able to "hear" the ping if there is any detonation?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-23-2003, 10:25 AM

How the hell did you swing that?

Steve

The same way i acquire all my mods.
I dont buy anything "brand new" and i wait to find someone desperate and take it off their hands cheap.
This particular guy totalled his ep and just wanted to sell everything off the car before the insurance company came to take it.

ssvr6
06-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Nice call.

But aren't your wheels and tires new? ;)

Steve

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Nice call.

But aren't your wheels and tires new? ;)

Steve

haha u got me...
yea they were bought new, but on ebay, mad cheap...lol...

myeverlovinsir
06-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
........although the notion of a "much livelier drive" as you stated in an earlier thread is what particularly appeals to me, so long as this holds true, I will be happy! :D

All of the detonation problems have been corrected, yes? Will I be able to "hear" the ping if there is any detonation?

Yeah, the 3deg retardation on the timing improved the syptoms of
detonation on the dyno, however I am a skeptic, and did my
darndest to challenge how this flash could be improved upon
with Doug. He appreciated the testing and feedback, however
it's still not the greatest gainer, I had expected. (As you can tell
by my honest approach and reviews) I don't attest to say it's a
waste of money, au contraire, it's probably the nicest item for
a stock Si(R) that you can get. My beef still resides with it not showing
the same benifits to a modified (I/H/E) ride that it should. I would
not want to be without it, money spent, things learned and
when it comes time for the SC, it should be a cheaper step for me.
(speaking of Hondata of course)

BTW, don't forget that if you don't like what you get, you still have
30 days to return it! I was just one of the first to point out
it's shortcommings. That said, I have no doubt that you will like
how it reacts for you on the road. nuff said.;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
06-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Hondata is in.
Thanks to civicracer.com (Eric) for programming my immobilizer.
Initial impressions:

The car really did need those extra 800rpm's or so.
As far as HP/TQ go, I'd have to dyno it.
For what i paid (DIRT DIRT DIRT cheap), I def. got my $$ worth.
Is it worth $600?
Well, if you're the type to spend that kinda dough on a cat-back, I say put it here instead.
Being the cheap mofo that I am, personally i would not spend $600 or anywhere near that on a reflash.

Once i spend more time in the car, I'll post a review.
I need to make a few passes on the 1320 first though.

SiR Medic
06-28-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC

The same way i acquire all my mods.
I dont buy anything "brand new" and i wait to find someone desperate and take it off their hands cheap.
This particular guy totalled his ep and just wanted to sell everything off the car before the insurance company came to take it.

*raises beer mug*

HEAR-HEAR!

I'm doin' the same thing... Only slightly more slowly...

Hey Steve... You plan on gettin' rid of that turbo anytime soon?;)