PDA

View Full Version : Another Hondata dyno review...

Wht-Si
06-19-2003, 11:14 AM
OK guys, I decided to get Hondata and I just got my car dynoed yesterday at Zero Factory in Torrence. Right next building from Erick's Racing. I ran before and after dyno and I did see differences between two setup. There has been a lot of mixed review about it but here is my personal feeling about Hondata.

First off, for those of you guys with I/H/E worried about gaining more power with Hondata, it's working. I don't have header in my car yet but I was able to make 161WHP with ebay intake and custom 2.25" crush bent pipe with SPW NI style muffler.

And then the owner of Zero Factory "Oshimo" just wanted to play with Iceman intake. So we decided to remove my ebay intake and install Iceman intake in verticle position. Then we went for quick run and My jaw just dropped to the floor. Because I saw additional 4 ~ 5 HP from the begining of the RPM to the MAX. I couldn't believe how much more gain I got from Iceman intake.

With Iceman intake my best HP was at around 167.2. BTW this chart only shows "Speed vs. HP" only and no torque curve. I might go to different dyno place later to make sure that what I have with current setup.

I called Iceman and talking to Andy to findout whether they have intake system for our car or not but they don't have one for our car yet. But he offered me to come by and make something out of their part bin to see if he can build one. When I have find my self a free time later I'll definitely visit Iceman for testing my Si.

Also, Oshimo made a comment about the intake pipe which he thinks tappered pipe works best with Honda engines. He said it's very important to have that kind of piping. I don't think AEM or DC has that shape on their pipe I think.

Oh I almost forgot about the real driveability with Hondata. I got 0 ~ 60mph in 6.9 second with terrible wheel hop. I was using Gtechpro and I used to get 7.5 sec without Hondata. Most of the gains are coming from having extra 1000rpm. Some how my limiter kicked in around 8100rpm but according to Hondata it's around 7700rpm.

On my butt dyno, I didn't see any significant gain up to 5000rpm. I noticed little bit of power surge after 5000rpm. I was hoping to see some more lowend torque but I wasn't too impressed with their overall performance of the Hondata. I also didn't see better throttle response like others either. It could be just me or my car is little different than other Hondat Si in this forum.

All the number that show on this dyno is not SAE corected number so you have to multiply by 1.15 to get the right HP.

I thought I just wanted to share this dyno with all the members in this forum. Here is blown up version of my dyno. Thanks

Wht-Si
06-19-2003, 11:18 AM
I forgot to tell you which line is for Hondata.

Brown - ebay intake and Custom intake
Red - ebay intake and Custom intake with Hondata
Blue - Hontata with Iceman intake

Wht-Si
06-19-2003, 11:26 AM
I made a mistake on previouse reply.

everything was tested with custom exhaust not custom intake.
Thanks

Quicksilver
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks for making the before and after dyno runs. It looks like there is power to be had up top, moreso than Hondata's web page would seem to indicate. There even appears to be some mild midrange power. I know I'll be purchasing the upgrade soon, so this makes me feel better in the decision.

You'd think that the dyno facility could have made you a better chart. Maybe one with rpm, horsepower and torque that you could correlate with the numbers on the side. What kind of dyno did they use? (I'm guessing either a Dynapack or Mustang Dyno because of the high horsepower figures) Also, did they perform the runs in third or fourth gear? One of the magazines did a comparison between the two and the Si seems to make more power in third and mildly less torque.

Thanks again,
Kurtis

Wht-Si
06-19-2003, 01:53 PM
I guess I forgot to mention which gear it was tested at. It was at fourth gear and ran on Bosch dyno. It looked kind of old but the owner mentioned that Hondata came to their facility to test their cars. I think Hondata was only few blocks away.

I just used their dyno to make sure that I see some gain before and after. But the owner of that shop seemed to be very knowlegable about Honda engines. He said he is specializing in B series.

Matter fact he showed me $12,000 B16 motor that he is building for one of his coustomer and he claim that it makes over 200HP NA.

He also made some comment about the VTEC point dip on K20 and he wasn't too sure why K20 HP was tappering off so soon at high rpm. I don't think he has any experience with K20 motors but he seem to know a lot about making power with small displacement.

I'm hoping that I can make more mid and high rpm HP with bettter intake and header. Maybe I'll go with DC stainless and DC coldair intake.

cruzersi99
06-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Wht-Si
I guess I forgot to mention which gear it was tested at. It was at fourth gear and ran on Bosch dyno. It looked kind of old but the owner mentioned that Hondata came to their facility to test their cars. I think Hondata was only few blocks away.

I just used their dyno to make sure that I see some gain before and after. But the owner of that shop seemed to be very knowlegable about Honda engines. He said he is specializing in B series.

Matter fact he showed me $12,000 B16 motor that he is building for one of his coustomer and he claim that it makes over 200HP NA.

He also made some comment about the VTEC point dip on K20 and he wasn't too sure why K20 HP was tappering off so soon at high rpm. I don't think he has any experience with K20 motors but he seem to know a lot about making power with small displacement.

I'm hoping that I can make more mid and high rpm HP with bettter intake and header. Maybe I'll go with DC stainless and DC coldair intake.

Oshima is very knowledgable when it comes to B-Series engines and tuning in general. Like Shawn Church, he works with both Hondata and Erik's racing for tuning and dyno services.

Oshima's dyno and Shawn's Dynapack are very similar. Dynapacks can be adjusted to read higher or lower depending on the program used. From what I have seen both these dyno are very comparable to other local dynojets like R&D.

Oshima puts the Iceman on every car he dynos, and it always produces a few extra HP. One thing to consider is that the Iceman is always sticking straight up in the air, away from the engine and the heat sources. The version he tests is always a short ram. The iceman does have a few cool things about it like the tapered design and the plastic, however, your ECU has proven to be very sensitive to heat soak. I'm a big believer in short ram intakes, however in this case it's hard for me to believe that these numbers would be replicated with the hood closed.

Cruzer

Wht-Si
06-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Speaking of the intake, Ohimo mentioned that stock intake might work better than the stock. I'm thinking about reinstall my hondata modified stock air box with K&N filter and feed cold air pipe from the bumper.

I think it might produce better results than a AEM or DC cold air intake. Just a thought.

cruzersi99
06-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Possibly, although Doug and team at Hondata may disagree, as the flash was designed with the CAI in mind. I know that on the B-series engine the short ram has always proved to me to be a better power producer when not heat soaked. I haven't taken a good look at the intake system of the EP, if it is desined like the Gen2 ITR then you probably find the stock intake to work well, if it is designed like some of the other intakes then maybe not. It certainly is worth a try.

If the AEM and DC are both coldair than you will definitely suffer from lost throttle response and top end. If they are short ram versions then you run into the heat soak issue for sure. A modified stock box may work, but perhaps a comptech will be your best bet. Another thing to remember is that intakes and dynos are usually not the best judge of performance due to the lack of circulating air, and varying air temps. A trip to the drag or time acceleration is usually the best bet.

Cruzer