PDA

View Full Version : Getting Used Coilovers

TrippZ
06-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm planning on buying some used coilovers early next week, and ill be doing the exchange in person. I was wondering what exactly I should look at to make sure they are in good shape and that ill maximize the deal to full potential.

TrippZ
06-19-2003, 06:10 PM
bump for me

cbecker333
06-19-2003, 06:16 PM
uh!.....uh!....yeah!

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
UGH Someone please answer!

EP3_DC5
06-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by TrippZ
I'm planning on buying some used coilovers early next week, and ill be doing the exchange in person. I was wondering what exactly I should look at to make sure they are in good shape and that ill maximize the deal to full potential.

What coilovers are you getting?
Check for shock leaks, make sure that the threads on the sleeve are in good shape and not rusty as hell. Oh and of course make sure that the housing itself isn't too rusty (especially on Tein SS). Other than that, if it looks good, chances are that it should be ok. Just don't buy em if they are over a year old, cause who knows what kind of abuse they have taken, and how much longer the shocks will last before a rebuild is in store.

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 12:10 PM
they're the Ground Control Coilovers

How do i check for shcok leaks (i know **nothing** about suspension)

what constitutes "rusty as hell"? percentage wise or amybe a chop or something? heres a gc c.o. pic if someone wants to chop it up

EP3_DC5
06-20-2003, 12:13 PM
they're the Ground Control Coilovers

How do i check for shcok leaks (i know **nothing** about suspension)

what constitutes "rusty as hell"? percentage wise or amybe a chop or something? heres a gc c.o. pic if someone wants to chop it up

Are these the coilovers??? THose look MINT!
So wait, are they just the ground control coilover sleeves or are they a full strut replacement?

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 12:18 PM
no these are from showstoppers i think

ill have to ask what they are...

31102si
06-20-2003, 12:18 PM
As long as they look like they are in good shape you should not have any problems. These coilovers have only been out for a little over a year, I doubt they are beat to hell. Good luck! :)

EP3_DC5
06-20-2003, 12:20 PM
If they are just the coilover sleeves then you won't have to worry, as long as there isn't something obviously wrong with them, like something is bent or broken off. That is highly unlikely. I think you should be fine though, and it's true they've only been out for a year!

Civicvtec1ps
06-20-2003, 01:10 PM
umm make sure its the right ones for our cars. i dont remember gc making full coilovers for our cars or 7thgen civics yet.
gc makes sleeved coilovers, that will fit with stock struts. you will need to buy aftermarket struts(eventually) which will be koni yellow( needs modifications to make it fit. it is NOT straight swap)

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 01:40 PM
nevermind. the guy that i was gonna buy em frm decided to back out of the deal 4 days away from the exchange after 1 and ahalf months of planning

31102si
06-20-2003, 02:18 PM
nevermind. the guy that i was gonna buy em frm decided to back out of the deal 4 days away from the exchange after 1 and ahalf months of planning

If you have the money buy the full coilover teins from showstoppers. I think they are selling them a little over $900. I would if I had the money.:D

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 31102si

If you have the money buy the full coilover teins from showstoppers. I think they are selling them a little over $900. I would if I had the money.:D

i DONT have the money lol thats why I wanted to buy them from him, $160 and they were mine .. :(