PDA

View Full Version : First Post...03 sir vs. 03 gti 1.8t??

anc325
06-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Well, im new, im looking to buy a new car, should i get an o3 sir or a 1.8t gti, now i know this is a honda forum but im looking for some advice...anyone got any help??

ADAM

SIbeau
06-19-2003, 04:13 PM
I just went out and signed for my 03 SI. Let me say I am a huge VW/Audi fan, but it's a tough choice. For me the deciding factor was money...so the SI won. The 1.8t is much faster stock vs. stock and you can get to 200hp with just a chip. The torque in the vw is also amazing. The SI is a nice car though, let's just saying you'll be driving more in the SI. Those damned vw's are always having quirky little problems (window regs, maf censors, coil packs). It's a tough choice but for me it went like this. Economically...SI. Sport Lux...1.8t.

andy
06-19-2003, 04:15 PM
There was a long thread about the GTI in the "Off Topic" forum
not long ago. Browse back a few pages and you'll find it.

To summarize:
Golf:
Stock turbo, huge aftermarket, a couple of parts and it'll really
move, shaky dealers and problems with vw's...

Si:
el cheapo price wise, lots of potential in handling, engine needs
a good infusion of $$$ to make fast, looks are in-between for
some, Honda reliability/value holds over time, etc.

(Those aren't necessarily my views, but some of the ones that
came up in that thread).

That said, if you're looking at the Golf...wait for the R32, if you
can afford it. Heck, for that price, get an EVO.

If you want something cheaper, and something to play with
over time, get the Si. Plus it has the uber-cool shifter. ;)

ballsdeep
06-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I agree with whats been said already with the si your going to get a very reliable car for a very good price but its not as fast as the 1.8T and to make it as fast its gonna cost you. But VW's have problems lots of them. My uncles has a 98 VR6 that leaks water into the interior, the one window no longer rolls down, the bumper strip on the side of the door has fallen off which is funny because every GTI his year that I see is missing this. His car also has all kinds of rattles. The 1.8T had all the problems with the coils and its also a turbo. The corrado G60 was a turbo and is know as the most problematic car VW has made, I love this car by the way and would own one if the resale on them wasnt so freakin high and they werent such money pits. I dont know if VW has had any problems with the turbo in the 1.8T but it would worry me. With all this said the 1.8T is a better looking vehicle and its faster and nothing beats the sound of a turbo If you can afford the 20th Anniversary 1.8T I would buy it. That car is so freakin tight. I thought I had nice seats untill I saw these

anc325
06-19-2003, 05:32 PM
im pretty sure im going to end up with the sir, i mena it just makes more sense to me right now, im still pretty young (21) buying my first car on my own, i want something that im always going to remember and the last thing i want is a bad experience, i want a fun reliable safe car that gets attiention but not stolen....and something that i can invest time and money into and will enjoy over time...i hope the sir fits that description.

also what color do you guys like, im thinking either black or vivid blue pearl..anyone got some good pictures of vivid blue, i havent seemed to be able to track some down and im sure that the ones on honda.ca do not do it justice...

i also looked at a 2000 used sir and drove one, and i was impressed with the power it had, it moved pretty good, im going really soon to test drive an 03, hoping it will be somewhat similiar, i really want to get this all resolved sooner rather than later, sorry to drag it out, any tips or adivce/pictures or opinions welcome...thanks

ADAM

andy
06-19-2003, 05:50 PM
If you want pics, check out either the Gallery (at the very top
of each page) or the Member's Gallery forum/threads. TONS
of pictures in there.

Also, since you're 21, you might want to check the insurance
rates on the Si vs. the GTI. That might help prod you in your
decision (and is what is killing me with my car...)

02SilverSiHB
06-19-2003, 05:56 PM
It's so hard for me to say which one. I went with Honda because of the stories I would hear when it comes to electrical problems. I have a friend, gok from clubsi, that had one, then regretted trading his 99 si for it. He had all sorts of problems, electrically with it. I believe he had a 2002. I hear the newer ones are supposed to be better, not sure if that is true.

Performance wise the Gti blows us outta the water when they have a chip. Well, that is if they don't have bad heat soak. Here in hot ass San Antonio, a guy I kept going up against with a 2003 GTI was hitting 14.5's with a chip, hks blow off valve and exhaust. His times would have been better if it wasn't for the weather. One time he hit 15.4 two times in a row and blamed heat soak for it, waited a while, and continued with the 14.5's. now that could be because of the small as intercooler they have, so maybe an upgrade on that would solve the problem.

tsa1
06-19-2003, 10:33 PM
if i where you i would get the 20th anniversary GTI, not only does it have 18's, recaros, but a better suspension than the ole GTI plus its a limited edition. if you cant get the SIR you can get it for around 17k USD( dunno bout canada) or if you can find an 02 that'll be around 15K. with the money you save over the gti( around 4-5K) you an get a turbo or supercharger, or tein dampers and rims. either way you'll end up with a good car and will be happy. if i was in ur situation i would go for the 20th anniversary GTI not the regular one.