PDA

View Full Version : The Icebox is in the hizzous, beotchiz

Lt_Si
06-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Hey Everyone,
I pickup up the Icebox yesterday and installed it in the car. I think that it's pretty cool. It definitely lessens that dip in the middle of the torque curve. So, the car pulls a little bit better. I don't think that it has as much top-end as a CAI, but I haven't tried one myself, so I can't really compare. But, there's definitely an improvment over most of the rpm range. It even makes the off-the-line power a little better, which makes it bog down a lot less in the heat with the A/C on, which helps here in Oklahoma.
As far as sound goes, I don't notice much of a sound difference between the IB and the stock box. So, if you like that SRI sound, this one won't do it for you.
The installation went pretty easily. I took my time with it, so it took me about 90 minutes or so. Comptech's instructions are excellent. They're extremely clear and have lots of photos to guide you. The only thing you have to do to the car is to move a ground wire on the transmission to a different bolt. And the box looks a lot like the stock one, so the engine compartment still looks pretty clean. Pretty much the only installation tools you need are screwdrivers and 10 and 12mm socket and/or combination wrenches.
I'm pretty satisfied overall. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Icebox - $279
Not having to cut up your car to install it - Priceless

Rob

ballsdeep
06-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Foshizzle!!

Dunrick
06-19-2003, 04:50 PM
You dont have to cut up your car w/ the aem cai

plus mine was 150 bucks - that 120 extra $ doesn't seem to measure up in performance. I like the noise of a intake, not the noise of the actual engine. our cars sound like electric cars w/o exhaust/intakes.

sleepinEP3
06-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Si

lessens that dip in the middle of the torque curve. So, the car pulls a little bit better. I don't think that it has as much top-end as a CAI, but I haven't tried one myself, so I can't really compare. But, there's definitely an improvment over most of the rpm range. It even makes the off-the-line power a little better, which makes it bog down a lot less in the heat with the A/C on,
same results i experienced with a K&N drop-in and the Hondata airbox mod. except i noticed its louder at WOT.
K&N drop in-$60
Dremel-$40 if you dont already have one
same upgrades at a fraction of the cost, and learning while youre at it- Priceless;)

TheWevel
06-19-2003, 07:00 PM
I did the airbox mod and I kind of messed it up. I cut into the part that you aren't supposed to cut into. Coincidentally, duct tape does wonders. Oh well it was my first time with a Dremel...messed up a lot of wheels.

Is direct from Comptech the only place you can get the IceBox from? I need a real solution.

Makross
06-19-2003, 07:02 PM
so the ice box is official like a referree's whistle:o

Lt_Si
06-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it's official, unless I dreamt putting one on my car yesterday. Did anyone else who ordered the Icebox get it yet? I haven't heard anything else on this board about it recently. I ordered mine directly from Comptech and it came in about 2 weeks. I think you can order them from other dealers, but I'm not sure if those take longer or not.

I had a question for the two guys who did the air box conversion. What all do you have to do to the box? I was just curious, to see how it compares to the Icebox. Thanks guys.

Rob

EP3_DC5
06-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by sleepinEP3

same results i experienced with a K&N drop-in and the Hondata airbox mod. except i noticed its louder at WOT.
K&N drop in-$60
Dremel-$40 if you dont already have one
same upgrades at a fraction of the cost, and learning while youre at it- Priceless;)

Man.......WTF is with all these comments that all the IB is just the stock box with a tube..... it's NOT! This intake was under R&D for over a year and the design they came up with gives you the best of everything that is out there (looks of stock box, power increase of CAI, and no chance of hydrolock like SRI). There have been a few dynos already on RSX-S of these and they perform as well as the CAI does, albeit with more mid-range torque, a few less HP up top. But for anyone that AUTOXs, the IB is the way to go.
Don't listen to misinformed cretins that have no idea what they are talking about. The Ice Box is worth every penny that they charge for it.

TheWevel
06-19-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Lt_Si
What all do you have to do to the box?
Rob

Well, there's a plastic divider that you have to cut out...apparently it's too restrictive. Or it interrupts the airflow or something...I don't know engines.

I did it because I'm a cheap ass... and the only things I noticed with it was: 1.) It makes more noise. 2. I seemed to of lost some of the upper rpm range torque.

That may be because I screwed it up, who knows. It does sound nice though.

chubbychu
06-19-2003, 10:01 PM
and no chance of hydrolock like SRI

i had no clue that short ram intakes hydrolocked.

im sure for your guys with lots of money...this icebox isnt a problem for your wallets...but with the financial situation that most of us are in....i cant justify 279 dollars for an extra 7-9 (MAXIMUM) horsepower.

glw
06-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5

...was under R&D for over a year and the design they came up with gives you the best of everything that is out there (looks of stock box, power increase of CAI, and no chance of hydrolock like SRI). ... Don't listen to misinformed cretins that have no idea what they are talking about. The Ice Box is worth every penny that they charge for it. i think the icebox still can hydrolock... it pulls in air from under the car in the engine bay... i would think it would hydrolock much easier than an SRI and maybe even easier than a CAI. i agree with everything else and will probably be getting one soon. but don't want others to think it can't hydrolock.

TheWevel
06-19-2003, 10:20 PM
I live in a rainy ass climate, and was very close to purchasing an AEM CAI...but since no one really knows if they offer a bypass valve for the intake, I'd rather just spend the extra money on something that I won't have to constantly worry about.

IceD out N CALI
06-19-2003, 10:40 PM
sounds good for rizzle:cool:

Skunk2EP
06-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5

Man.......WTF is with all these comments that all the IB is just the stock box with a tube..... it's NOT! This intake was under R&D for over a year and the design they came up with gives you the best of everything that is out there (looks of stock box, power increase of CAI, and no chance of hydrolock like SRI). There have been a few dynos already on RSX-S of these and they perform as well as the CAI does, albeit with more mid-range torque, a few less HP up top. But for anyone that AUTOXs, the IB is the way to go.
Don't listen to misinformed cretins that have no idea what they are talking about. The Ice Box is worth every penny that they charge for it.

What's wit da attitude bro?
The Comptech Ice box can Hydrolock just like the Cold Air intakes. The inlet piping is right infront of the tranny, if you go into a deep puddle, it can easily suck up water. However the effects would be worse on a CAI because the filter is located low, behind the bumper whereas the Comptech is almost like stock.

There are more top end gains w/CAI but you lose low end HP and Torque. With the Comptech there are gains all through out the power band but the topend gains will be less than a CAI.

SRI do not hydrolock, I've never heard anybody say this one before, maybe typo?

HeelToePro
06-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Sorry guys, I would never buy the icebox. First off its too damn expensive.

2nd, I did the hondata airbox mod with the k&n drop in filter. I also did cut to deep and made a hole. So i cut the whole dam thing out and finished it off with a little bondo. It almost as smooth as the compthech box, and I got 180.6 to the wheels, with the cut out, filter, and gasket.

Bye the way, RIP to my NBP EP3, I have a NBP DC5S now. WHy?? Please dont ask, it wasnt by choice.

My Photo album (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mincha00@pacbell.net/lst?.dir=/HeelToePro%27s+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/&.view=t)

EP3_DC5
06-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Skunk2EP

What's wit da attitude bro?
The Comptech Ice box can Hydrolock just like the Cold Air intakes. The inlet piping is right infront of the tranny, if you go into a deep puddle, it can easily suck up water. However the effects would be worse on a CAI because the filter is located low, behind the bumper whereas the Comptech is almost like stock.

There are more top end gains w/CAI but you lose low end HP and Torque. With the Comptech there are gains all through out the power band but the topend gains will be less than a CAI.

SRI do not hydrolock, I've never heard anybody say this one before, maybe typo?

Have you talked to comptech to see? Comptech posts on Clubrsx and have said that they took measures to prevent hydrolock. There is a little hole at the bottom of the BOX to drain water out in a situation like that. I can't remember what else.
I said that botht the IB and SRI will not hydrolock, never did I intend for it to come off like an SRI can hydrolock.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85066

Read about it. Lots of info in this thread, both good and bad.

EDIT: The comptech dynoed in 2hp short of the AEM CAI in peak HP, but had 4hp more throughout the powerband......

BTW, I have the AEM CAI on my car, and if I had the money to spend on another intake, it would certainly be the Comptech IceBox.

JSIR
06-20-2003, 02:20 PM
well I've had the SRI K&N , I also di the gutted stock box ala Hondata, drop in filters and extra air feed tubes , etc... . Now have the Icebox and I have to say this is my favourite intake out of the ones I've tried. I've also driven EP's with the AEM CAI. I think the Icebox has a better power curve and responds well to part throttle driving conditions, and does not bog as much at low rpms wide throttle. The top end feels as good as anything I've driven or tried. Its hard to say exactly what the changes are until I can dyno the setup next weekend. I was trying to do it today but couldn't make it to the dyno shop. Overall I think this is an excellent intake. The chance of hydrolocking is pretty small unless you drive into 18 inches of water or more, normal driving in regular rain wont do it at all. The snorkel is still protected by the splash shield and the filter is isolated nicely as well. If you find yourself driving or approaching real heavy water accumulations you can always remove the intake box cover and the intake will operate like a shielded SRI without any problem.

I guess if you drive into a couple feet of water then you may be in trouble, but that applies to many other intakes on the market, unless you shut down the engine while coasting through it and pulling out of the way of traffic. BTW , my SRI filter always got wet when driving through normal rainy conditions, not enough to hydrolock but it got a good dose of water.

hth.

Joey

EP33
06-22-2003, 09:16 AM
I agree, my SRI did get wet on the bottom when driving in the rain. In fact the firewall & EPS rack gets "splashed" (turbos be careful in the rain)with water when driven in the rain. As you said, not enough to cause hydrolock, but I could put my hand on the bottome of the SRI filter and it would be wet.

Maybe the Icebox should have a "bypass" on the top of the box so that it could suck air from under the hood in the event of sudden or heavy rain. This would split the "sucking" and should further reduce the chances of hydrolock. Something that can be removed by hand ya know. I am starting to appreciate the sound of my Icebox too BTW.