PDA

View Full Version : More Spring Install Advice Requested

NamingException
06-20-2003, 06:18 AM
I'm picking up some Pro Kits from a local shop later today. I am planning on doing the install myself tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about it since I've never done it before, but I really want to do as much of my own work as possible on this car. I'm planning on doing it without air tools. Is this stupid? Should I wait until I can borrow a compressor from someone?

If I go for it, I'll take a bunch of pictures and try to write up another DIY. Can't hurt to have another one around.

andy
06-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Air tools make it a lot easier...
I was with some guys who did it on an '02 Impreza - with
four guys, it took about 4+ hours (this was just with
regular tools).

You'll still need a mechanical compressor (I really don't know how
to describe it, basically a clamp that holds the springs in place
that you tighten), or whatever it's called. Oh, and some free
time.

If you go at it alone, just be careful (make sure you jack it up
proper). Good luck!

NamingException
06-20-2003, 08:03 AM
Well, nevermind. They just called to tell me that they won't have them until Monday, which means I won't be able to install them for two more weeks since I am busy next weekend. I would have just ordered them online and saved a couple of bucks if they hadn't told me they would have them today. I'm sorta pissed off.

idrive
06-20-2003, 10:38 AM
ionno where you're located...
but here in the bay... kragens has spring compressors you can borrow for free... you just need to give them a deposit...
no its not stupid to do it w/o air tools

here is a really good how-to on a spring install... very detailed and with lots and lots of pictures... the install is not no an EP... but once you get reading, you'll the general idea is right there.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=86545

hope its helpful

DynaSpeed
06-20-2003, 12:30 PM
You don't need to use a spring compressor... I've done an EP3 and an EM1 without it. Just don't be stupid and hold the spring cap pointed at your face.

NamingException
06-20-2003, 08:32 PM
I'll get a spring compressor from Autozone since there's no reason not to. I'll get a tie rod separator too. Looks like I can do it next weekend. I'm still pissed because it's how I was planning on spending my day tomorrow. I've done lots of research and I'm feeling pretty confident about it now. I just want to finally give my damn car a bit of a drop.

Suk02Si
06-21-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
You don't need to use a spring compressor... I've done an EP3 and an EM1 without it. Just don't be stupid and hold the spring cap pointed at your face.

correctO, no compressor needed. I've done at least 6 EP installs and an RSX install. A tie rod seperator will help, but compressor isn't needed.

trabadoo22
06-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Let me know how it works out if it's cool. I'm thinking of going with the pro-kit, although I've been going back and forth between them and the Tein kit. Nice to see someone from Rochester is on here. I havn't seen to many si's around here though.

NamingException
06-22-2003, 01:29 PM
I've been seeing more EPs around here lately. There's a few members here from Rochester. I've left notes on a couple of cars, but I don't know if any of their owners joined.

After I put the springs in next weekend I'll post some pictures and let you know what I think.

dEeMcEe02si
06-22-2003, 11:32 PM
if you can.. use that tie rod separator.. it will save you some time and worry.. cuz once you mess up ur nut and threads on there.. ur in sheit... another advice that will save you tons of time is to not let the rotor fall down out towards you... its gonna be a bietch gettin back in... your axle will fall out of ur transmission...!!! the easiest was is to put a jack under neath it and hold it up.. if it does fall out of the joint... try and jack up the rotor and line it up with that botom bolt of the strut and spin the rotor and push in to let it fall back into place.. it freggin took me two hours to find that out... back is easy... ... i would suggest using a spring compressor esp if ur a first timer... get it from kragen... rent it... .. good luck... !

Si02
06-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I used a tie rod seperator and still ripped a boot. The thing that worked for me was to bang the part that the tie rod goes through. Sorry I don't know what its called. Anyways just give it a couple of wacks and then try to pull the tie rod up with you hand. It worked for me. You can do this job without air tools but make sure you got time to spare. It took me about 5 hours and my body was aching for a couple of days. It's a workout.

siver-SI
06-23-2003, 07:20 PM
I did that tear when I was changing the tie-rod ends on my prelude. At least I found out what to look for so I do not do that again. So did you order a new tie-rod since you tore the boot?

Si02
06-24-2003, 03:40 AM
You can order just the boot for like 2 bucks.

siver-SI
06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
That is cool I did not know you could order just a new boot. Since my old tie-rods were shot I did not care if I tore them.