PDA

View Full Version : CAI flood driving adventures

tony speed
06-20-2003, 11:18 AM
It rained really heavily wednesday when I was coming home from work, and instead of staying on the highway I decided (like an idiot) to drive the back roads home. Not 3 minutes into driving home, I start coming across intersection floods of about 3 to 4 inches of water. The whole way home I was putting it in idle and plowing through the shallowest water i could find. I found my way almost back t the highway and see people wading through 6 to 7 inches of water at 5 miles per hour! There is no way I'm making it through that I think to myself and quickly turn down a side road to see where I can go to avoid that flood. I ended up driving back towards downtown, and had to go through a 15 -20 foot long flood of 5 inches depth or so. When I saw it I accelerated for momentum, idled my car at the last moment and plowed through that pond like a boat, barely making it on my momentum. *phew* what a nerve-racking experience.

EP3_DC5
06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by tony speed
It rained really heavily wednesday when I was coming home from work, and instead of staying on the highway I decided (like an idiot) to drive the back roads home. Not 3 minutes into driving home, I start coming across intersection floods of about 3 to 4 inches of water. The whole way home I was putting it in idle and plowing through the shallowest water i could find. I found my way almost back t the highway and see people wading through 6 to 7 inches of water at 5 miles per hour! There is no way I'm making it through that I think to myself and quickly turn down a side road to see where I can go to avoid that flood. I ended up driving back towards downtown, and had to go through a 15 -20 foot long flood of 5 inches depth or so. When I saw it I accelerated for momentum, idled my car at the last moment and plowed through that pond like a boat, barely making it on my momentum. *phew* what a nerve-racking experience.

I feel you man, everytime it rains I get all paranoid that my CAI will suck up water. But as long as you avoid the bigger puddles, it's fine. 5 inches though........DAYMN. I would have just sat there and waited for the water to go down. J/K
Icebox would be nice, if you are really worried, you can just take the lid off the Box and be on your way for the REALLY deep puddles, but comptech claims that even if you don't, worst thing that will happen is that your engine will stall, but no water will get in.

IceD out N CALI
06-20-2003, 11:38 AM
that sucks. that is also why icebox is for me:)

jerky
06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
dude you live in CA.:D

IceD out N CALI
06-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by jerky
dude you live in CA.:D

haha, but still, for those 10 days worth of rain..;)

jerky
06-20-2003, 11:50 AM
dude i'm the same way. there are a couple of intersections that flood pretty bad when it pours.

EViLsneakyDUCK
06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
stop complaining about the rain, we get it here almost everyday now during the summer :mad:

jerky
06-20-2003, 12:08 PM
dude it drizzled this morning for about an hour. i just washed my car too. it sucks.

TrippZ
06-20-2003, 12:16 PM
for a whle it rained everyday for i think about 10 days.. giveor take a few days

PAsi
06-20-2003, 12:32 PM
HOLY SHIT IT'S POURING HERE!! SOUTHEAST PA IS GETTIN FLOODED LIKE A MOTHA!! HEHE. I'M SITTIN HERE AT WORK DREADING THE DRIVE HOME. IN THE PARKING LOT THERE ARE PUDDLES ALREADY ABOUT 2" DEEP AND IT'S ONLY BEEN RAINING FOR LIKE 2 HOURS. THERE'S A FLASH FLOOD WATCH.

chubbychu
06-20-2003, 12:42 PM
is it just me or does the wheel well seem not covered all the way on the inside....

nevemrind...im just stupid.

tony speed
06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
i keep looking at the ice box, and i'm just not feeling it...that foam filter.... :( oh well.

02NITEHAWKSi EP
06-20-2003, 01:03 PM
It's been raining for like two weeks straight here in Orlando. My car is so dirty. :(

chakra71
06-20-2003, 01:05 PM
I just got my AEM CAI on Tuesday and I installed it at a friends house some 60 miles away from home. As we were installing it started to rain. We finished up and went for a quick drive to make sure everything was fine and sure enough it was. I must say that with this instake i am addicted to WOT.

back to the point... after a while it was time for me to head back home... and of course it's still raining... raining like mad. My woman called and told me there was water up to some cars headlights on one of the major roads around here...

... and i have to drive 60 miles home in this with my new CAI. I was paranoid as crap all the way home. To top it off i need new tires so i had to stay at about 35 mph to keep on the road. I made it in an hour and a half longer than it should have taken. And when i got home I checked the intake and everything was fine, was hardly damp which is expected when you drive 2 hours through a monsoon.

I must say this has been the rainiest year i have ever seen.

sintax02si
06-20-2003, 01:24 PM
.....I'm always super-paranoid everytime it rains...(in RI, we've been averaging a whole 6 days a month w/out rain.......fuckin rain..driving me nuts!). We've gotten crap-loads of rain, and I drive 70 miles a day to work(roundtrip) with no problems (crossing fingers), so I think I might just be worrying too much about it.

AEM's website says that their bypass valves aren't available for our cars ...is there another way to ensure we dont suck up water for paranoid people like myself?

SiR Medic
06-20-2003, 01:34 PM
This is why I got a SRI!

Although I know a CAI give better gains, it just isn't worth it for me to panic everytime I go over a puddle.

Nova Scotia is a wet place. In the winter, we got plenty of wet snow, slush, and salt on the roads. In spring time, we get flooding when all the snow melts. In fall, we often get the tail ends of tropical storms and hurricanes.

I don't think my (tattered) nerves could handle a CAI!:(

Zigen5
06-20-2003, 01:43 PM
I don't know how many of you guys live in Florida, but its been raining the last 2 weeks straight! Since I purchased my car 2 weeks ago, all its been is rain, rain, rain.... After driving through floods, my mind is set... SRI!!!!!! My car is too importan to loose.. Now let me think... Comptech or Injen??? Hmmmmmm..... Since its been raining, I've waxed my car twice wishing maybe this would clear the rain.. Doh...... ;)

Peking
06-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Go with the Injen it's sweeeet.:D

shimmy_yaz
06-20-2003, 05:53 PM
37 of the last 52 days it has rained here!!! I am so sick of it

Papa Bear
06-20-2003, 06:13 PM
I think that the real question is how many people have experienced hydro lock with an Injen or AEM cai? What is everyone worried about? I have been through heavy rain storms several times and the last time I drove in those conditions, I inspected the filter and it wasn't wet or dirty. My AEM sits in a nice dry spot under the bumper. You just have to use common sense and don't drive too fast through deep standing water.